December 17, 2014 | 1743 users online

Pressed Powders - Neutrogena - Shine Control Pressed Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2012 1:21:00 PM More reviews by deadonarrivals

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I think I found my ideal shine control powder. I always get oily all over by midday and tend to look greasy, so I do need to have a shine control powder on hand everyday. These are some of the powders that I've tried in the past.
1. MUFE HD - works good at setting my makeup and providing maybe 30 minutes of shine control. But, it doesn't have long lasting effects. Plus, it doesn't travel well since it can be messy. I do appreciate this powder before applying my foundations to provide a matte canvas and it seems to work better for me this way.
2. MAC Blot - Works fantastic at controlling oil. However, it gives me a lot of clogged pores. So, I can't use this.
3. Maybelline Dream Matte - Another powder with great blotting power however it gives too much coverage for my taste and the packaging is atrocious.
4. Laura Geller - The most poor quality chalky powder I have ever encountered.
So, the list goes on to say the least but the train stops here at Neutrogena! I like that this powder is actually translucent on my NC40 skin. It doesn't leave behind ghost face but I hate the puffer they provided with this powder, it is very thin and the cotton is linty leaving behind lint balls on your face. I like to use a travel kabuki brush with this and it gives a better finish. I also find that this kept me shine free for hours and it doesn't make my foundation look cakey, very amazing if you ask me! Also, no clogged pores or breakouts from this lovely powder. Lastly, I love the packaging! The compact is built well and sturdy. The notch to close the powder, closes the lid snug so it won't snap open in your purse. I also love how the packaging is sleek and matte black. This powder is $12.99 USD and sold at most retailers.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2012 11:42:00 AM More reviews by JL06451

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I like this product a lot. I've been using it for about a week and it seems to work pretty well. It definitely does not last 8 hours, though. I still need to use the powder every hour or two to keep my face looking matte. I don't use foundation but this powder does not seem to turn my face overly white or anything. I am not sure if my face is really that oily, though - maybe it is just so dry that it gets shiny, and that is why I can never find anything to keep my matte :\ I also agree that the puff that comes with this compact is a piece of crap - you'd think they'd provide something better for a compact that costs so much. Overall, though, I like this compact. I'd buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2012 4:03:00 PM More reviews by kitty55

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is probably best for us gals with oily skin. It does NOT add color and is meant to be used over a foundation or tinted moisturizer or just to reduce shine, but if you over-apply, it can look a bit chalky so if you try to "build" coverage with this you will turn white. I use a light dusting of it over my foundation and it really does control the oil. I recommend pitching the JOKE of a "puff" that comes with it and using a brush. I'm not sure I would repurchase this because although it is somewhat oil-controlling, it's nothing special..

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2012 8:05:00 PM More reviews by peachesndream

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am on the fence about this one. I bought it because my nose is shiny and oily as all get out and I have large pores. I wanted something to carry with me to help reduce the shine but not cake up like a powder with color can do, and I don't like it for that purpose. I think it leaves a terrible white cast when I use the puff it comes with, even if I gently dip it in the pan. It looks like I hit some flour on my nose no matter how gentle I am with it.

I do think it works well if I use it to set my makeup in the morning with a fluffy brush, but that is about it. However, for that purpose, it is way overpriced and I like Rimmel Stay Matte better. Neutrogena is so highly prices for drugstore and for almost 15$, it better perform and for me, I don't think it is any better than a Covergirl powder for way less money.

I think the packaging looks nice and slim and clean. No complaints there.

Does it help with shine? yes, but not in a way that other powders don't. I don't think it is super special. I like it enough to have kept it and not returned it, but I won't buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2012 7:41:00 PM More reviews by xjiyoungg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I HAVE COMBO/EXTREMELY OILY SKIN. THIS DEFINITELY HELPS WITH THE OIL and it doesn't do anything negative to my skin. So I really like this powder. I will repurchase.

[update]
Wow I'm really loving this powder. It really takes care of my shine and my oily face. It doesn't make my face cakey or anything. Just matte and very natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2012 12:06:00 AM More reviews by VividDreams

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I lovvve this power.
I usually use maybelline powders, the dream matte whatever one, but walmart is always out when i need it, so i was looking for a substitute.

Pros:
-I love the case, it's actually different from other powers, the power is deeper inside of the case, so it's not as messy, and i like that it's black, not a trashy brown color hah.
-reduces oil, it really does work at reducing shine for a long time, i use it to set my foundation and reapply when needed
- doesn't break me out, i've had big issues with this but this hasnt made my skin worse at all
-doesn't look cakey

Cons:
-Stupid little puff that comes in it. Just throw it away and use a brush :)
-Possibly too white for others, however for me it's fine.
-The cost, really expensive for a drugstore powder, like 10+ dollars, i was like -.- but the "rice protein" sold me.
- Not that it's supposed to be, but it's a light powder, it doesn't give any coverage so don't buy it thinking it will.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2012 7:13:00 PM More reviews by Ua97

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was nicely surprised by this product! I've used a lot of powders that were much more expensive than this one and I saw no results. I was on the hunt for a new one and I picked this one up, not expecting much. At the very first second I opened it and i put it on the little pad that's included, I began to regret buying this, because it wasn't "invisible" looking, at ALL! When it was on my skin, it actually was pretty visible and i had to smooth it out for a little for it to disappear. I was really not expecting much from this, until at 4:00 pm, i went to the bathroom and looked at my face. There was basically no shine! My skin looked wonderful! There was a dewy look, but it was a good dewy. My skin looked natural, not cakey, and not overly oily at all. The only thing i don't like about this is the color of the powder, really, but it really is pretty great. If you have oily skin and you're wondering about a powder or something to keep your shine under control, this isn't a bad idea. It's very reasonably priced, too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by whisper

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm super impressed with this product. I bought it solely for the purpose of having a more travel-friendly powder I could take with me on trips in place of my usual everyday powder (I use the Make Up For Ever HD loose powder that comes in a sifter jar, which is not very ideal for travel). This Neutrogena pressed powder is excellent! I'm so pleased with my purchase. The compact is sleek, no-frills, black plastic casing w/mirror (typical compact, no need for explanation actually lol). A few blots on my T-zone and I'm shine free for like 6 hours straight before having to blot again, and without disturbing the rest of my makeup. I even use it directly over sunscreen, on days when I'm not wearing any makeup at all, and it's fantastic. It just takes down the shine from my SPF without adding a powdery appearance to my face. Worth mentioning perhaps is the fact that it contains mica; however, there are no visible sparkles whatsoever when applied to the skin even in natural sunlight I checked w/my 10x mirror next to my south-facing kitchen window, haha. I paid $8.50 for this at my local drug mart (had a $1 coupon, woo!), and I'll absolutely be repurchasing another once I'm finished w/the compact I have now. Love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/17/2012 10:28:00 AM More reviews by MeghanLB

I bought this to try a new light powder that I could wear in the summer by itself. It was absolutely horrible! My skin broke out more than usual. It didn't do anything to control oil and my pores were huge, bigger than they had ever been. I'm very disappointed in Neutrogena for making a product that doesn't live up to its major claims and actually makes your skin worse instead of better. I've had other issues with their products before which is seriously making me question buying anything from them in the future.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2012 2:53:00 PM More reviews by lclc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

HG! I press the powder into my T-zone with a sponge, then brush away the excess with a powder brush. My oilies are kept at bay for hours! I am pretty tan and this looks invisible on me. This works just as well as my Estee Lauder Double Matte Oil-Control Pressed powder. I also like the Neutrogena better than the MUFE HD powder. The MUFE made my skin feel a little itchy. The Neutrogena feels better on my skin.