April 19, 2014 | 1055 users online

Liquid - Clinique - Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2013 3:13:00 PM More reviews by Mmdesrochers

I have a hard time finding a foundation that gets along with my oily skin. I've tried so many it's not even funny. I hate switching to a new foundation because of the guessing game when it comes to shades. I thought I'd go to a department store and get color matched, and see where it went from there. I picked Clinique since I've used and liked some of their mascaras, and it's allergy tested. I explained to the consultant that I had oily-acne prone skin and wanted to find something that could last through the day and still looked natural. She sat me down and went to work picking a foundation, powder and blush. She explained that the Stay-Matte foundation would work great for me. The way she did my makeup was amazing--I can't seem to duplicate lol. She color matched me with "Cream Chamois." My skin just looked so pretty and fresh. I have in and bought the foundation for about $22. This is honestly the best product I've tried. It blends in wonderfully, the packaging is hygienic and I get all -day coverage without retouching frequently. Whenever I see my dad he always comments how pretty my complexion is. I don't have a problem with breaking out from this, it doesn't have any strong smells and isn't hard to remove. I do wish it was a little less expensive, but you pay for what you get.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/2/2013 3:50:00 PM More reviews by kellicandi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

most of the positive reviews are coming from gals in a lower age group, but i think if you read from the higher age group with more experience, you'll notice the truth about this product. i was/am a loyal fan of estee lauder double wear but because my skin is extremely oily this was mentioned as a substitute by someone. IT DOES NOT WORK! i have super oily skin, and this product controls the oil no better than any drugstore brand at half the cost. and it doesn't blend well at ll, despite going on over a primer and/or lotion. the color i was matched with (5/fair) ended up being way too orange for my skin and now i have a useless product that needs to be tossed. i would say that it 'cotrolled' oil for about 2 hours maximum, and did slightly better than that - maybe 3-4 hours, when set with powder. the revlon colorstay for oily skin and estee lauder doublewear are superior choices to this; even though they don't make claims to control oil, they do so much better. not recommended at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2013 12:35:00 AM More reviews by heymeina

I have oily and acne prone skin so I wanted something that would cover it and keep my skin matte and oil free. Normally I wouldn't want a liquid foundation for oily skin but this actually helps A LOT. Even in 90+ degree weather (Texas summers are awful) my makeup stays fresh and clean. I do need to reapply if I'm outside for more than 4 hours but that's reasonable because the foundation is formulated to stay perfect in 80 degree weather and it's definitely not 80 degrees in Houston Texas. The price is definitely worth it. Department store prices are usually twice the amount. Basically I love this foundation and I've bought it twice already. I'm always trying to find something better but so far this is my favorite.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/25/2013 2:02:00 PM More reviews by linergirl16

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Other

I thought I would like this foundation but instead am going to return it. Despite the name stay matte, my face was very very oily after an hour. Bought the oil remover sheets just for this. Plus, it made me break out especially on my nose. I figured that it just clogs up your pores. I was hopeful to try it but going back to MAC.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2013 5:27:00 AM More reviews by ShwetaDewan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love Clinique! Prior to using this, i was using Clinique BB Cream which was excellent too but since BB cream has very poor color selection, I thought of giving this a shot.

This is a great matt foundation. Note I live in New Delhi and have a 50 degree summer sun, so take my word when i say it's matt. It stays with you till your day ends, has medium coverage (therefore looks natural), a little can go a long way, it is light weight gel based and value for money!

Oil control formula is pretty good, it does not make my skin more oily than it already is, and hence i am not complaining. I only have to blot maybe twice a day which is normal, given the weather conditions i live in.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2013 1:15:00 AM More reviews by Adi96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Best matte foundation I think I will ever try, and here is why.
I have normal to oily skin, pretty even with few spots that rejects every foundation that touches its surface, and living in hot, humid Florida does not help either. I'm not kidding. The only foundation(s) I've used so far that actually stay on my skin are MAC studio fix powder foundation in NC43, and this foundation in number 21. It has a unique gel-like formula, as if it is going to be thick on the face once applied, yet it is not. The foundation is lightweight, yet provides great, matte coverage that could be built up to a fuller coverage. I prefer to thin it out with an spf moisturizer or sunblock, since it does not have any spf in it unfortunately. Blotting will be needed after a couple hours wear, but that does not bother me. It does not transfer, and it fades beautifully after many hours of wear. I love this, and it truly is worth buying in my opinion! :D

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2013 3:03:00 PM More reviews by krsn89

* ABOUT MY SKIN *
My skin is oily but dehydrated. My t-zone is an oil slick, but I also tend to get flaky around the nose and forehead. I have dark acne scars and hyperpigmentation on my chin. Any active acne tends to be extremely red and my cheeks get very red/flushed as well. I am no longer extremely acne prone after changing my diet, but I do still break out if I eat certain things I shouldn't. I am Asian with very yellow/golden undertones. My colour in MAC's Studio Fix Fluid is NC35 and in the powder, C4.

* PACKAGING & PRICE *
Clinque Stay Matte comes in a flat, clear squeeze tube with a silver cap. The opening of the tube is nice because it doesn't just dribble out, and you can control how much product comes out. I adore the packaging, and I wish more foundations were packaged like this! There is a seal on the tube when you first purchase the product, and it comes in a small rectangular box with the typical, Clinique floral print on the outside. This comes in 20 different shades and retails for $29 at Sephora in Canada, which is a decent price compared to some higher end foundations.

* FORMULA, COLOUR & APPLICATION *
The formula for Stay Matte is really interesting. It is a little thick, but has a gel-like consistency. The back of the tube says fragrance free, but it does have a mild scent that disappears when applied. I purchased this in the shade 08 - Golden Neutral. I figured it would be quite yellow, and it even looks pretty yellow in the tube, but it's not. On the plus side, it's not very pink either, so I don't mind it. It matches me decently, but it is a little lighter than my NC35 skintone. I apply this with either a buffing brush or flat top brush, and it applies beautifully. It feels good on the skin and dries down to a powdery, dry matte finish. While it does have a matte finish, it does NOT look flat or dead either. One of the negatives of this foundation is that it WILL accentuate dry spots. While I am incredibly oily, my skin is dehydrated, so I had to moisturize very well. It doesn't feel like you absolutely *need* to powder after this since it feels so dry afterwards, but I do on my t-zone because I'm oily.

* COVERAGE & STAYING POWER *
The coverage is decent, depending on the amount/technique that you use. It says sheer to moderate coverage on the back, but I build this up to medium coverage. I just had to use concealer on my chin where I have very dark hyperpigmentation. I really wanted this to work for me, but the oil controlling properties are just not enough for my skin. This looks flawless and amazing when first applied. But, less than an hour later, my very oily nose will have already eaten through this foundation, and I work in an air conditioned office, sitting down all day! Unlike some foundations that don't budge when I blot them, this one transfers ON to the blotting paper! Not only that, but around the 4 hour mark, this starts looking extremely dry and patchy on my skin. I thought maybe I just didn't apply it correctly the first time so I kept testing this foundation over the course of a week with varying combinations of moisturizer/primer/powder and I could NOT get this to control oil or prevent it from getting patchy. Even when applied with a damp sponge or brush I get the same results. On the plus side, this does not oxidize on me, and photographs well due to the lack of SPF. It also did not break me out, and I remove this at night with a carrier oil followed by Spectro Jel cleanser.

* FINAL THOUGHTS *
I really wanted to love this foundation. The packaging is awesome, colour is decent, and the price is great. I also love that this has a fairly wide shade range. The claims on the box about it absorbing oil and being tested in 80% humidity were what sold me, but this just did not perform well on my oily skin. It's so surprising because it is such a dry/matte foundation at first, but this did not outperform any of my drugstore foundations. It managed to make my skin look super dry and patchy while not controlling oil at all. I will give 2 lippies to Clinique for their colour selection and superb packaging. This may work if you have truly oily skin, rather than dehydrated, so perhaps that's why it didn't work for me. I will be returning this to Sephora. My foundation hunt continues!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2013 12:54:00 AM More reviews by tiftif

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my go to product when I want a matte foundation with a (somewhat) limited budget. The coverage is excellent--I find that it nicely covers my dark circles even without any concealer. Unlike some other foundations, this product does not cause me to break out. It really is matte and remains matte for most of the day. If it starts to get oily, blotting paper or powder really helps.

Nevertheless, there are many unpleasant aspects of the product. I find that the product does not fair too well on blotchy skin; it really highlights blotchy skin and also pimples. The colour range for this product is limited and even the lightest colour is really dark. Occasionally I find that the product causes me to look 2-D, but like I said, it's occasional.

Overall, I would buy this product again. It's worth the money, and it delivers what it claims.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2013 1:44:00 PM More reviews by Rocky22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok Today is the first tday that I wear this BUT I like it so far I have not had to blot and it is past 10 am. I the color matches my skin and gives me a nice glow. It is not heavy on my skin and it was super easy to blend on my skin! There really isn't smell so do not worry. This year I have tried Benefit, NYX, and MUFE and none left me convinced. I hope this continues to work for my oily skin!!
*** EDIT***
I love this foundation because it gives nice coverage but THIS IS NOT OR DRY SKIN!! After having my child I noticed I was no longer oily and needed to purchase something that caters to dry skin and I bought CC Cream from/ Clinqiue. This is a great foundation just not for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2013 6:54:00 PM More reviews by Anikaxoxo

I made an account on makeup alley just so I have a place to rave about this amazing product!! I have very acne prone combo skin and my chin is a huge trouble spot with acne and occasionally i'll get a pimple or two on the forehead.
LOVE- the tube, easy to come out and control how much you want.
very natural looking and you can pack to how matte you want coverage.
AMAZING coverage, I cant even begin..
the pricing is really fair to the quality you are getting.
the smell is really nice!

DONT LOVE: The amount you're getting doesn't feel like enough. Am I imagining it?
how you get this shine after you put it on.

To cover the shine I usually brush over with clinique's stay matte powder or the sephora brand powder. And any other trouble spots this foundation failed to cover i'll top with concealer. I apply product with a too faced powder brush!

But do get it! Its amazing <3