April 17, 2014 | 1936 users online

Lips - Yves Saint Laurent - Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain (All Shades)

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2012 10:50:00 AM More reviews by sandyatthebeach1

I really love this! I have it in the coral shade, and its formulation is so good. It really stains your lips, yet gives you the color of a lipstick and the shine of a lipgloss. The tear-drop shaped applicator is great- it's easy to outline your lips, and buff the product in. I usually don't mind the scent of products, since I find that once I put them on, I can't notice, and this one is the same- I don't notice any irritating scent. But seriously, this is so long lasting, and it doesn't fade patchily or anything. Once the gloss part wears off (the gloss part probably wears off in a few hours, but the color stays all day), it also won't transfer at all. I hate seeing my lip product on my cup or straw whenever I try to drink something, so this is great for me. It's low maintenance (swipe it on, forget about it), which is awesome, and it's a great product! I would definitely recommend these- the only downside is the price tag. Oh, and the color darkens a little once it sets on your lips- I don't find this to be a problem, but I'll mention it anyway.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2012 9:55:00 PM More reviews by diabolicrouge

One of my HG lip colors! I bought this in the shade #13 Rose Tempera. First of all, the color is absolutely gorgeous. It is a hybrid of fuchsia and red, slightly warmer toned than #14, Fuchsia Dore. I find that the pop of color compliments my fair skin and dark hair perfectly! Secondly, the formula is amazing. It lasts for hours, with no touching up needed! Even after eating, the color is still intact, even though some of the shine is gone. I don't even need a lip liner, because there is no feathering and the doe-foot applicator applies the color precisely. It is quite unlike any other product I've ever used before, because it maintains a very glossy look, despite the fact that it functions as a stain. The beautiful color alone was worth it for me, and the great formula is a lovely bonus! Glossy Stains are addicting, beware. =)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2012 4:22:00 PM More reviews by foppery

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've swatched these at Sephora and Nordstrom a few times, but haven't been impressed enough to pay $32 for one. The color I'm most attracted to is #11, Rouge Gouache, a pink-based cool red that suits my pink-toned complexion nicely. (I also tried on #1, Violet Edition, but it was too dark and blueish and made me look ill.)

To an extent, the hype is true: this product is as long-lasting and glossy as it claims to be. However, it also feels odd and unnatural on my lips, as if I've coated my mouth with plastic. And as other people have pointed out, it smells like stale wine, no doubt because of the high alcohol content. The scent does wear off quickly, but the texture doesn't. I may end up buying Rouge Gouache eventually, because a long-lasting, lightweight red lip product is hard to find. But I'm not exactly in love.

EDIT: I bought Rouge Gouache eventually, and now I want to take back everything I said against it. It's my magic lip color; the pink undertones brighten up my face and I get compliments from total strangers. I got used to the smell and the texture, too.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/19/2012 2:16:00 PM More reviews by materialgirl897

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I got this in shade #19 and it just doesn't work. I was intrigued to see how such a light pink would be able to 'stain' my lips and the reality is that it didn't. Watery, and almost nail polish type smell. Very disappointed, so expensive and gutted as I bought it at the aiport and can't return it!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2012 1:32:00 PM More reviews by mricci

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

holy grail of lipcolor! it looks glossy, stays moist, and lasts forever and a day. what more could a girl want?

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2012 6:07:00 AM More reviews by angelbaby111

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Love this stain/gloss. Keeps lips moisturized, stays with a gloss look, and doesn't come off until I eat something, which is fine with me. I like to brush my teeth after lunch and reapply anyway. I have # 15 which is a warm pink on me, and I just bought #5, which is a deeper rose pink. One coat of these, nice light finish, two coats and you get a deeper color payoff. I love the way it moves with your lips, no dry, clumpy, uneven wear. I highly recommend. I'm an NW25 for reference.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/24/2012 2:16:00 PM More reviews by WorkinMom3Sons

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I had high hopes for this after reading about it in October issue of Allure. I bought #19 as I wear a light pink/beige normally. It definitely lasts a few hours, however $32.00 for a lip stain that in 4 days took my lips from moisturized to chapped and red. It's going back. I was totally disappointed. My lips were in great condition prior to using this product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2012 11:20:00 AM More reviews by sugarmartini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This was a product I really wanted to love. I tried on all the colors on the back of my hand first and then the pale pink and the red on my lips, which were 2 of the ones I liked the most. It's a good thing I tried them on my lips before buying them. These guys are really drying and they taste kind of mediciny. For the price, I think there are far better products out there. I love the YSL sheer candy glosses so I will stick to those until they come out with something that really stands out to replace it.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/22/2012 7:01:00 AM More reviews by karenkkk

I own shades 10, 6, 7 and 15. The quality of the product seems to vary between shades. Based on my own personal experience, the more vibrant colours tend to apply better/ more evenly, last longer, and leave strong stains. I have heard shades such as #18 & 19 leave very little stain and apply quite unevenly.

#10 was my first purchase, a beautiful red, which my mom fell in love, so I gave to her. After being applied, it turns a lot redder than it appears in the tube, so be aware. Then I purchased #7 - a beautiful peach coral, which in my opinion is the most natural shade in the range. I bought both of these 2 shades at David Johns in Sydney, Australia. They are retailed for $50 each, which is a complete rip off.

I then purchased #7 and #15 online for about $37 each. I thought I would have loved #15, being a medium pink, but to my surprise, I was quite bored with that colour. Instead, I was completely head over heel in love with #6, an orange shade without strong red undertone. It really brings out the colour of my nc15-20 Asian skin tone, gives me a vibrant and lively look. I used to love it much more than Revlon Lip Butter #15 Tutti Fruitti, another orange shade but with much stronger red undertone.

The product itself is wonderful, judging from the 4 shades that I own. I would have loved them more if not for what they had done to my lips. I knew all lip stains are all quite drying, but after wearing them pretty much non-stop for 2 weeks, my once healthy lips have suffered. They are now tender, red and dry, despite me using paw paw oinments on them every night from the very first time I started wearing them. The product contains high level of alcohol. I have very sensitive skin, and I've always been careful about avoiding products with alcohol. I blame myself for not checking the ingredient list.

I'm very much saddened by my experience. If you have sensitive skin, please wear them with caution.

#6 introduced me to the beauty of orange lip colour. I've purchased MAC Saigon Summer about 2 days ago. I hope it will be able to replace #6 for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2012 9:45:00 AM More reviews by rockstar00

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Rose Tempura #13 (Nordstrom exclusive)
-goes on wet
-use tip of doe foot to line lips then go in and fill them in
-wait a few seconds (6)
-apply 2nd coat
Once you follow those steps you will have the most gorgeous wearable day, night, supermarket, riding the subway lip color ever. This color is the perfect bitten lip look. Think of Rosey pink cherub lips!
Product
-slight smell of wet roses (reminds me of Freedom Rose scent-the deep red/garnet roses)
-applicator is doe foot (soft and effective)
-application easy peasy
-quality of product is 5*
-gloss stayed true for 5 hours, drank, ate etc. (note-did not rub off on glass)
-once gloss wears off the color is still magnificent and Rosey stain (so pretty)
-color payoff is 5*
Pricey but worth it. I prefer 1 rockstar item than 10 mediocre

Overall, fantastic performance and quality. The color range of this YSL line is outstanding. I can see why so many buy a few YSL glossy stains at a time. I plan on investing in a few more colors.
For reference, my go to lipsticks are Nars-Funny Face, Mac-Rebel and Maybelline-Fucshia Fever and now YSL Rose Tempura : D