September 18, 2014 | 1322 users online

Fragrances - Frederic Malle - Une Fleur de Cassie

rated 2 of 5 on 11/5/2003 12:47:00 PM More reviews by Perfmavin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I tried this at Barney's in New York a few days ago while testing other F Malle fragrances. I am finding that these fragrances as a whole take quite a while to develop. This one smelled like horse sweat for quite a time on me - like what you smell at the carriage stands outside of Central Park. (From the reviews of this scent, I see I am not the only one that this has an animal reaction on.) It started to dry down to a heavy cedar after about an hour. After that time, I washed it off so I don't know what would have happened next. In any case, the first hour was enough to mask any garlic I may have eaten during my previous meal.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/13/2003 3:03:00 PM More reviews by StephanieT

I received this as part of the Edition Frederic Malle sampler box. I hated it on me. I hated the way I smelled all day. And unfortunately, it endured. Can't wait to give it away... I know it agrees with other people.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2003 3:42:00 PM More reviews by Liv24

Une Fleur de Cassie has one of the most intolerably unusual openings I've ever experienced. I find the initial blast distinctively artificial and musty (and if you apply a wee bit too much, look out, it's powerful!). It takes a while to settle down on me to a musty fog of hazy violet, aldehydes, and trace notes of jasmine. It then becomes a hint sweeter, which brings about a lightness that could not be more welcome. In the final stage, as if the clouds parted in the sky to reveal a rainbow, a creamy blend of mimosa and spices is revealed. Nice showdown, but way too musty of an opening and middle for me to weather through.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2003 8:48:00 AM More reviews by tigrushka

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Grey, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is simply repugnant on me,just don't agree with my skin at all. Bitter, nose-curling stuff.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2003 10:04:00 PM More reviews by chattykathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Where to begin? I got the test kit and tried this one the first day and was so repulsed by it I had to chalk it up to a freak occurrence. This evening, I decided ,after reading such glowing reviews, to give it a go again. What can I say? The minute this hit my skin I was overwhelmed with the scent of cat urine. Yes, I kid you not. Cat urine. DBF ran into the other room and repeatedly said "is this a joke?" After about a minute or two, it settled into a distinct cardboard odor. Such a strong scent I was truly nauseous. Shortly after the cardboard phase came the strong smell of paper products. Like I was in a warehouse full of old copier paper stored in boxes. About 1/2 hour later, the final chapter was written and the distinct scent of gas station bathroom soap lingered on my skin. Am I a freak with bizzarre chemistry? I think not. Lesson for others: Try before you buy! Just because 80% of reviewers love a fragrance doesn't mean you will too!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2003 12:23:00 AM More reviews by Marianne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Wow! This is a gorgeous scent, and it really has a hypnotizing appeal... I found myself sniffing my wrist throughout the day, trying to dissect the scent's components and figure out what was so captivating about it. Sweet, but not in that sticky-syrupy way, floral (but not heady nor powdery), a bit of spice to give it kick, and a hint of citrus. Finally, there is a note with a bit of bite... it's quite ephemeral, and I just barely catch it, and cannot put my finger on what it is. I love the way the jasmine and rose are obvious, but subtle at the same time... and the way the spice stays subdued. It's amazing that the cloves are not powdery, as I notice that many scents with cloves can get that way. I will have to revisit this scent to give a better idea of notes. I am not familiar with mimosa (sigh) so it might be that I like this note and no not know it yet. A little goes a long way, and the little bottles are cute!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2003 1:01:00 PM More reviews by CharlotteStant

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

We had a mimosa tree in our backyard when I was growing up, and my mom always led me to believe that in order to enjoy the bizarre Dr. Seuss-like pink flowers you had to put up with the disagreeable stench. Upon trying L'Artisan Mimosa pour Moi and PdN Mimosaique, I was suprised to find mimosa sweet, boring, uninspiring -- but not distasteful. Now, with Une Fleur de Cassie, I'm finally understanding both my mother's meaning and the true beauty of cassie, which, if I'm understanding correctly, is a type of mimosa (though I see that mimosa is listed as a separate ingredient)? Anyway, I love the opening mustiness (what I recall from the mimosa flower) -- it gives so much character to the sweeter notes. The flower then shows itself in its full complexity, complemented by so many interesting notes -- spices, fruits, flower, and synthetics. It even has an aqueous aspect, which I adore. I find this to be an intriguing, exotic, even sensuous, floral experience and would definitely recommend it to all!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2003 1:17:00 AM More reviews by ifthe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I recently sampled FM's Lipstick Rose, Le Parfum de Therese, and Une Fleur de Cassie. I found all three to be quite lovely, but this was my favorite. It is so subtle and inviting. Just gorgeous! I did not get any of the "burned plastic" notes others have mentioned. The previous reviews have covered the notes quite well, so I will simply add that if you are in search of a "womanly" fragrance that is not blatantly aldehydic or overly powdery, look no further. This is it. Very classy and refined without being "uptight". No doubt, I shall be acquiring this beauty shortly! Many thanks to japickles for giving me the opportunity to sample this divine fragrance!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2003 10:38:00 AM More reviews by Suzy_Queue

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The moment I applied Fleur de Cassie for the very first time, I laughed, because besides the pretty Mimosa, I could smell an odd "burning plastic" note! Kinda like melting crayons. But the oddness is short-lived. The deliciousness of this unique blend takes over immediately. This fragrance has mimosas and violet --and just a hint of jasmine-- to give it lovelyness, bergamot and cedar for freshness, sandalwood to show basic good sense, civet for smuttiness, and clove and cumin for BITE. The result is purely unique. Scintillating and modern. The first FM I ever smelled, Fleur De Cassie completely turned me upside down--it showed me what perfume CAN BE. It's why I am interested in fragrance. It's still my favorite fragrance PERIOD (if absolutely forced at gunpoint to choose), but of course I've found many other great loves. Update 8/9/04: I wear so many different perfumes, but this is still the one that my loved ones always enjoy most.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2002 4:55:00 PM More reviews by Mayra

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The musky powdery jasminess in this one keeps me from truly enjoying it. A couple degrees of separation from Le Parfum De Therese. Only the muskyness and second skin animalistic feel of Therese that hits you within the first few seconds disappears later on. This one stays with you all the way through the dry down.The notes in the description sounded lovely. A melange of good things for my nose. But that's in theory. In practice, upon first dab and sniff its too musky. More civet..aldehydes. Less violet, cassis and rose. No mimosa nor apricot. This is the first Editions Des Parfumes scent I am not pleased with. Which is okay. There at at least 2 others I love. continued >>