Laura Mercier Foundation Primer Radiance

4.1

(Aqua), Hydrogenated Didecene, Glycerin, Pvp, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Sorbitan Stearate, Mica (Ci 77019), Cetyl Alcohol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/ Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Propylene Glycol Isostearate, Glyceryl Isostearate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Boron Nitride, Squalane, Caprylyl Glycol, Oleth-25, Ceteth-25

on 2/11/2013 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Holly cow this stuff is INCREDIBLE! A HG for sure!
The problem I have had with primers in the past is, because I have dry skin, most primers dry and flake my skin (as theyre silicone based). The ones that dont dry my skin out (the ones that aren't silicone based) dont have any benefits and I dont notice a difference with them at all. This product is completely different and a miracle worker!
A primer is supposed to minimize the appearance of pores, fine lines and wrinkles, make your makeup go on smoother and last longer. Some have other added benefits (like giving your skin a glow like this primer, adding hydration if its a hydrating primer, etc).
I don't really have a problem with my foundation lasting (as I have dry skin so oils don't break my foundation down), but I have HUGE pores around my nose, so much so that I was never able to wear highlighter as it just emphasized my pores so much and made them look huuugggeee.
After this product, my pores are reduced by about 95%. They are hardly visible at all. And I can finally wear highlighter without having to worry about my pore size.
I can tell you right off the bat that if you're looking for a primer to make your foundation last longer or one to minimise wrinkles, there will be better ones out there. This primer would be great for people who suffer with huge pores and love a nice glow to the face, but don't necessarily have a problem with their foundation lasting, like myself. This primer will help with both of those issues (wrinkles and making makeup last longer), but I don't think it will be the best for either.
This has a gel-cream like texture and has a golden pearlescent glow to it, so if you have extremely oily skin or don't like a glowy complexion then this is probably not for you. I don't notice the 'radiance' part too much. Especially after I apply foundation on top. It's NOT sparkly at all. It just adds a bit of a light glow to the skin. Nothing dramatic but makes you look healthy and fresh.
I apply this after letting my moisturiser sit on the skin for about 5 minutes, and then let this sit for another 5 minutes before I apply foundation. I recommend applying it with your fingers. It can get quite sticky/tacky if you apply with a brush.
Something to keep in mind with this primer is that right after i apply it, my pores actually look bigger than before. Do not be alarmed by this, and don't wash or rub it off because of that. once you apply your foundation on top, the pores just disappear.
Think of it this way. The fine shimmers in this product go in to your pores, and make them look bigger initially. But, they also fill them up, so your foundation glides over your pores without going in to them.
I've never had a problem with clogged pores with this primer.
This primer is not silicone based and isn't drying on my skin at all, like most other primers I have used.
You need about a pea sized amount (or even less) for your whole face, so it will last you a long time.
I initially bought the 50ml/1.7 fl.oz size, then straight away bought the 100ml/3.4 fl.oz size cause I was so in love.
This stuff is a little pricey, but well worth it for me. I paid about $47 for the 100ml/3.4 fl.oz size, and about $25 or the 50ml/1.7 fl.oz size off eBay (make sure its a reputable seller)
A staple in my makeup routine now. LOVE IT and can't go without it now. 100% recommend and would 100% repurchase. Good job Laura Mercier! Please never discontinue this amazing stuff!

on 2/7/2013 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I'll just start off by saying that if you're looking for a primer to control the oilies, fill pores, and make your makeup last longer...This isn't it. The sole function of this particular primer is to provide luminosity to the complexion...And it does it well.

I bought this because my skin was looking dry and lack luster thanks to the harsh Canadian Winter. I like it quite a bit.

The bad? I find that you have to use more of this than other primers since it does not seem to spread as nicely. I also noticed that this doesn't give you silky finish that most primers do. The texture is actually slightly sticky. And like I said, it does not control shine or make your makeup last longer at all.

So what do I like about this primer? It really does live up to its namesake and provide a natural looking radiance to the skin. It has a rose gold tinge, but it goes on quite sheer (allowing it to match all complexions). After I apply this, my skin has a dewy, glowing look (not glittery at all). The issue is that if you cake on a heavy coverage foundation, this effect will be diminished. This primer works best when used with a lighter foundation/powder.

This may not be the best for oily skinned girls (I have oily skin, but it gets dehydrated during the winter, hence why I bought this). The sheen that this provides, mixed with excessive oils from the skin may make for a greasy look. This primer is best for women who tend to have dry skin that often appears sallow or "dull" for lack of better words. It really will restore natural looking radiance to your complexion.

The effect of this is quite similar to MAC's strobe cream. It doesn't do much at all when it comes to prepping your skin for foundation, but it sure is nice if you want to look healthy and glowing. This even looks nice when worn alone with no foundation over top. I rate it 3.5/5.

If you're looking for a primer that's designed to make your makeup last throughout the day, this isn't the one I'm afraid. BUT - this radiance primer does what it says - it truly does leave a lovely, illuminating sheen to the face. Looks great under foundation. And for 50ml of product, it's lasted for quite a while!

The only let down for me = it's always made me break out, and I'm not usually prone to pimples and spots. Wouldn't buy again for this reason!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

If you crushed up a disco ball and suspended it in a very light shade of tinted moisturizer-Laura Mercier Radiance Foundation Primer would be the result.

On the positive side, I kind of like this product, but only when worn with heavier foundations (such as MAC Studio Sculpt) and applied very very sparingly. The texture is nice and smooth. There is a slight tint - which I am not sure would be an issue for very pale folks (I am NW25-30ish for reference, so the tint disappeared under my foundation). It played well with my inherently dry skin.

I am not sure this primer did a whole lot for my skin texture or makeup application/longevity, but it did add a bit of a sparkle factor. I made the mistake once of following the Laura Mercier counter's advice that I could wear this product on its own without foundation as a "light tinted moisturizer". I shimmered sheened and sparkled from miles away - never did that again.

If you wear a heavier foundation and are looking for a glow-I would recommend this product in small doses. However, it is just a bit TOO radiant for my preference. My preferred primer for "glow" is Guerlain Meteorites Perles Light Diffusing Perfecting Primer-much much more subtle than Laura Mercier Radiance, and plays nicer with lighter coverage foundations.

on 12/28/2012 9:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Anyone else out there that hates using a primer that feels like another layer on their skin? I'm so glad I found this primer. I can't remember how I discovered it, but this is my second tube (the first one was the hydrating primer).
The primer was I think $40CAD with 50mL which is well priced, considering I only use about a pea sized amount. I only wished there was SPF of 20 or higher so I don't have to use a sunscreen prior to applying this.
There's a slight glow after applying the primer, but it doesn't really show through the foundation, unless you're using something that has a sheer coverage. The primer is great for the winter time when skin tends to look a bit more dull.

on 12/8/2012 7:41:00 PM

I love Laura Mercier and as much as I love the look of this product, it unfortunately made me break out. It gives you a dewy finish but if you have a t-zone like myself, it just doesnt work out.

on 12/6/2012 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I'm on my second tube of this because I love it that much. This product gives my skin that flawless glow and I like using it under my mineral powder foundation. For me, the combination of using this and Mary Kay mineral powder foundation is a winner! The only thing I don't like it the packaging because for some reason the cover keeps popping off.

on 12/3/2012 12:20:00 AM

This is definitely a "wow" product! Knowing that applying a primer will set my foundation better, I purchase one of this at Sephora! Guess what? During my first usage, I was exclaimed by how dewy my face looks and it isn't oil that makes it looks shiny and oily. The mild shine lasted thoughout the entire day, although i still need to blot my face. As compared to NARS pro prime that I've used, it simply win hands down!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

So i found this product through here on MUA and wanted to try it for myself because so many people raved about it! I bought a sample off of ebay for like $8 just to see if i would like it and because im a brown skin African American woman so i wanted to see if there would be any issues with the color of the product for me….Well, verdict so far is... i LOVE it!! I've been using it for about 3 days. Usually i use the Smashbox photo finish primer (which i would not repurchase, it's just so-so for me) but i wanted something to make my skin dewy and glowy since winter caused my skin to be a little bit drier and i just like the dewy look! I have normal/combo skin. Just get oily on my nose during the day. I rarely powder during the day because im so busy too. But this primer is awesome. You notice the dewy sheen (NOT glittery at all) as soon as you spread it on your face. I spread it on kind of generously because when i used a dime size amount i wasnt able to see any difference. I wear Smashbox Healthy FX foundation which is sheer coverage so it wasnt because i was using a heavy foundation. It seems likes it fades away during the day but when i come home at night (after about 11hrs of wear) my skin is still dewy and glowy! I put this on after my moisturizer. I haven't experimented using it different ways yet but I will definitely repurchase! I read something about mixing this with Mac's strobe cream and that it makes it look even better so im going to try that next!! :) So glad i tried this! P.s. try not to use a lot of powder or it will diminish the amount of dewiness you will get !!!

on 11/12/2012 7:54:00 PM

Received this as a sample from Nordstom and am going to order the full size after I write this review. I've been using Mercier Tinted Moisturiser for at least 12 years now and it's my staple, go-to product. I don't usually use primer, though I LOVE Smashbox Photo Finish when I do and have used that for years because it feels so good. I LOVE this Radiance primer - I can use it alone or under my foundation for a lovely, fresh, dewey look. It's a winner !