July 30, 2014 | 1870 users online

Liquid - Chanel - Perfection Lumiere

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2013 1:30:00 PM More reviews by sailorj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I didn't buy this for the longest time based on the mixed reviews (and some of the negative reviews were REALLY negative). I have oily, sensitive skin that can flake in the winter…I more or less am able to keep that under control with chemical exfoliation. I always, no matter what the foundation, use Murad's Oil Control Mattifier under my foundation unless I'm at the pool or beach and I have on a heavy sunscreen.

That out of the way, this is not a foundation for anyone with skin that is not combination or oily. It absolutely is too dry for that. If your skin is the right type and you get a color match, I think you'll love it. Especially if length of wear is important for you. I get a beautiful, lit from within finish (I think "lumber" is such a great name to have in the title of this product, it is accurate) that lasts beautifully on me for ten hours. I haven't tried longer than that, and normally I go eight hours at the most. The coverage is medium, buildable to full. When I apply this properly, it looks natural in the daytime, I look flawless when I use a little more at night. It doesn't separate or pool anywhere that I have seen on my skin, it does start to glow a little. I always have to do a quick blot with a tissue once or twice during the day with any foundation, there is little to no transfer with this foundation when I do that.

I did have a learning curve when applying this. I first tried my Sephora foundation brush, I can't remember which number, and the foundation was streaky, cake and just didn't apply well. It's thick and dries fast so you have to work in small areas. I tried a lesser quality duo-fibre brush (Laura Mercier's-such a terrible brush, I actually threw it out after I tried it with the Chanel I was so irritated) and got a horrible, caked on result. I don't know why I kept trying, I was desperately wanting to get the same experience as those who had provided glowing reviews. Then I saw some reviews somewhere and success was had with either of the Chanel foundation brushes, #6 and #7 so I ordered them both. They both work amazingly. I get daytime or nighttime coverage and its not tricky at all. While I was waiting for the brushes to arrive I was able to get a good look with my fingers but not as good as with the Chanel brushes.

Oxidation is something brought up in many of the reviews for this foundation. I wear B10, I'm right in between NC15 and NC20 and it's a good match but I do worry that two months from now when I slide down to almost NC15 it will be too dark. I wish there was a light B shade, and I would own both. I do not notice oxidation as the day goes on. When I swatch the foundation on the back of my hand and spread it around it appears to go orangeish straight away. When I spread it on my face I don't see that at all. I have even gone outside in the middle of the day to apply it to my face to see if the color changes, it doesn't. Maybe it's the primer that I use.

So, I absolutely love this foundation, it would be best to try a sample. I adore my Sephora foundation brush that failed with this foundation, I never would have thought that I would find a foundation it didn't work with but other brushes did. This is that foundation. Keep that in mind and good luck finding a foundation you love! It can be so frustrating!

UPDATE: 11/16/13 I still love the foundation, but I it has not gotten easier to apply, I have to be really careful. I've noticed that if I use more than one full pump on my face (I have a large head people, so my face has as much skin to cover as anyone) the application goes all wrong and looks cakey and heavy. If I apply very carefully and make sure that I only use the one pump, it's flawless. I use this foundation most days of the week, but I don't even try if I am in a rush. That's when I grab Shiseido Sun Protection Liquid Foundation (almost as flawless a finish, can look a little mask like) or Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk (doesn't last as long, can't find a perfect color match…or By Terry Densiliss Liquid (beautiful, not great lasting power with no oil control for me, or finally By Terry Sheer Cover (love it, but it is sheer and doesn't last more than a few hours).

UPDATE: 3/19/14 I picked up the Urban Decay foundation brush on a whim and it really buffs this foundation in nicely. Gives me a finish that rivals By Terry Densiliss-just slightly more matte, which I like. Still love this stuff.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/29/2013 11:51:00 PM More reviews by Adorrou2

Not for people with combination skin (oily t zone with dry patches) clings to all dry patches and t zone was oily within 2 hours (first time checking). The dry patches do however look better after a couple of hours of wear but the reason I am rating this foundation so low is because of the shade range. The lightest cool-tone foundation is still far too dark for me (nw13-15) not to mention it oxidizes fairly quickly too. I will be returning this foundation and probably won't be trying anymore chanel foundations until they expand their shade range to suit us really fair gals. I really wanted to love this foundation because I have loved everything else I have purchased from chanel.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2013 9:14:00 PM More reviews by CamiWillians

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I do like this foundation. The smell is divine! But I feel like it's claimed to be 'full coverage' when I feel it's really not. I have hyper pigmentation from acne scars and this doesn't cover it in the slightest but does even out skin tones! it feels very smooth and soft and luxurious on the skin. It's a nice product, but if you're lucky and have perfect skin! The color range is good too.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2013 11:41:00 AM More reviews by AngelOfDeath

When I first bought this product I was not overly fond - I found that it accentuated the dry areas of my face and could look quite patchy. However, after making sure my face was hydrated and I was using a good primer, I went back to it to find it look amazing. There are a few things you should know with this product, for example: if you're going to use it then make sure your face is well hydrated - it will only accentuate your dry patches. Also, without the right technique I find it to settle into your pores, so use a brush, and pat on with your fingers anywhere you feel you need a little extra coverage. It is a dewy finish, and I find it gives amazing coverage - a little goes a long way. All in all, a good product, and one I would definitely purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2013 4:37:00 AM More reviews by ccddmm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

At first it seems to be so thick and dry even my skin is oily but one day i decided to use this with a wet makeup sponge i adore how it nice looking on my skin

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 1:28:00 AM More reviews by itsiliii

This foundation is odd....I couldn't quite place my finger on what about it exactly
I did not like. First of all the coverage is pretty bad, for such an expensive foundation
I would expect a bit more pigmentation. The bottle itself is beautiful, very luxurious.
However, the finish on this odd is just so....dry looking? I think that's the word im looking
for....it could very dry and matte in the worst way possible. Even though it looks so dry it
does absolutely nothing to control my oily skin. Ironic? Also very, very perfumed. A big no no for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2013 4:59:00 AM More reviews by lolo100

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Tried many foundations but this is my best. With one layer you cannot even tell that I am using makeup. It matches my skin tone very well, it is well absorbed and does not sit on the skin. Best of all it does not cause me break outs, I do not need to use a powder over but if it is hot and I sweat, then I do. If I need more coverage I just apply a second layer and still without looking 'caked'. I love that is looks natural and feels natural, it does not have so much of pigment like other foundations. And like most of Chanel's product, a little goes a long way.

Oh and even though it has an spf, it does not make you look white in photographs.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/7/2013 9:59:00 AM More reviews by Valentina200

Was not impressed with this foundation. It's very drying, and the color choices are too yellow. Looks flat and cakey.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/6/2013 6:04:00 PM More reviews by darkangel13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't think Chanel foundations are designed for us 20-somethings who want to experiment with high end makeup. As another reviewer said, Chanel is targeted towards women 30+ ... (or at least that's how it seems.) And there is nothing wrong with that! Its kinda like how I feel a little out of place at the Estee Lauder counter or even Clinique. Same goes for their Vitalumiere foundation. Its not their fault that a bunch of ditzy oily-skinned teenagers buy a foundation that is CLEARLY not for their skin type. So I don't want to bash on Chanel or this foundation because its not really their fault in that respect. However, the general consensus on this foundation is that its quite ho-hum and lackluster which I agree with. Is it terrible? No. Is it amazing? Nah. Its just nothing special. Definitely not worth $60 that's for sure. I was pretty satisfied with Perfection Lumiere until I became convinced that it was the culprit for a sudden breakout of itchy, cystic acne that I was having. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the added fragrance which I didn't find "subtle" at all. Who the hell even perfumes foundations so heavily anymore?!

CHANEL: If you are reading this (I know you probably don't care about losing one dissatisfied customer in a harem of loyal followers) but PLEASE, PLEASE stop pouring a bottle of perfume in your foundations. This isn't the Edwardian era in England where everything must be doused in heavy fragrance because us "common" folk stink lol.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/5/2013 5:16:00 PM More reviews by SMaj

First bought this when I was newly introduced to high end brand name make up, was sadly very disappointed by this! I have quite scarred skin and I didn't get any coverage from this at all, and when I tried to use a powder or blush on top it would begin to cake completely! I suppose it is suitable for people who want a very light coverage, however I prefer the coverage I get from MAC Studio Sculpt and Estée Lauder double wear. I will say however I do love the peachy scent to it and would love the Mac to have a similar scent!