Clinique Age Defense BB Cream SPF 30

3.6

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.50%, Octisalate 4.00%, Zinc Oxide 3.50%, Oxybenzone 2.50%, Titaniium Dioxide 1.1.0% water, dimethicone, butylene glycol, phenyl trimethicone, pentylene glycol, glyceryl stearate, behenyl alcofol, trioctyldodecyl citrate, polymethylsilsesquioxane, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, PEG-40 stearate, polyglyceryl -10 pentastearate, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, Hordeum vulgare (barley extract), extract d'orge, Triticum Vulgare (wheat germm extract), Laminaria saccharina extract, Linoleic Acid, Oryzanol, cholesterol, caffeine, sucrose, glycerin, Polyquaternium-51, lecithin, Sodium stearoyl lactylate, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Sodium PCA, Isopropyl titanium triisostearate, Trehalose, urea, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Xanthan Gum, Glycyrrhetinic acid, stearic acid, Aluminum hydroxide, silica, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Disodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, mica

on 2/8/2013 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Like somebody else had commented, I was having trouble finding a BB creme in my shade, so I was delighted when I found this. It covers my acne very well. It feels very lightweight, and I haven't had any trouble with it staying on if I set it with a powder.

on 1/25/2013 5:29:00 AM

I was hesitant to try this when it first came out because of the general displeasure there seemed to be with American BB creams vs. Asian BB creams, but I decided to give this one a try by asking for a sample pot of it from an SA at a Clinique counter in Macy's. My match was Shade 02 (~MAC NC30) The sample pot lasted me 5 days of wear, dotting only on five places around my face (both cheeks, chin, forehead, nose) to cover my face. I know the full-size tube will last a long time as a little goes a long way.

It turns out that this BB cream is very similar in tone (3 shades limited to fair-medium, depending on undertone), weight (thick), and texture (smooth, creamy) to traditional Korean BB creams, but like Japanese BB creams, the Clinique BB has no discernible fragrance. I can't say much for how this BB cream fairs in the long run, but over the course of 5 days I can definitely say that this has some pretty impressive coverage and staying power for an American BB cream; on my winter combo-oily skin (more on the dry side this season), this has lasted me 10 hours. It lasts even longer (12 hours) when used like a primer under a powder foundation, or with a setting powder dusted over it.

Worn alone, this has moderate, natural-looking coverage; it evens out my skin tone and dark under-eye circles, and lightens my freckles. A light—and I mean light—dusting of powder foundation or setting powder can bring the coverage to full. Also, BB creams generally make my skin look flat because of how they "brighten"/pale out the skin, but contouring with mauve blush or bronzer will bring color back to my face.

While I like this foundation for how similar it is to the traditional Asian BB creams, the one thing I personally do not like about this foundation is that it is not lightweight; this is similar in thickness to Missha's Cho Bo Yang BB Cream. You will feel like you're wearing makeup. This probably owes to why it wears for a long time, and the thick, creamy texture will be a treat for dry skin. But because it's so thick, layering so much on (especially with too much powder over it) will make it look cakey, and for those with oily skin, this will feel especially heavy and may not wear for very long on its own.

This BB cream retails for $37 for 1.4oz/40ml of product, making it roughly the same price as some of the higher-end Asian BB creams. What I find sets this product apart besides its similarity to Asian BB creams is that it doesn't have fragrance whereas many popular Asian BB creams do, so this might be a good option for those with sensitive skin. I found that this was moisturizing and wore well for the winter, but I know for myself that this will not be the same experience for the summer. I have also used more affordable American and Asian BB creams that have worked wonderfully year-round. Therefore, I will not be purchasing this BB cream.

on 1/21/2013 3:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

About me: Dry/combination, acne prone skin; very pale (natural redhead). I have pinky skin with red patches and dark purple circles under my eyes, but the back of my hands and neck have a touch of golden tone. Most foundation lines do not have a shade that is pale enough. Anyway, BB creams tend to have a limited color selection, so I've been struggling to find one that is pale enough and doesn't leave me looking like a greasy Oompa Loompa.

Clinique Age Defense is a true BB cream, not just a tinted moisturizer; it inhibits my acne, minimizes red patches and serves as a decent primer for my under-eye concealer. In my case, skin needs to be properly exfoliated and moisturized before application because the product will cling to dry patches. I think that this BB cream is probably best for oilier skin types because I do require the extra moisturizer. Best of all, the color (shade 01) is pale enough; it has pink/beige undertones and tends to lean a tad grey, but I prefer this over excessive yellowness. I also appreciate the decent SPF, although I always apply additional sunscreen for maximum protection (given that I conservatively apply BB cream)

on 1/16/2013 10:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My experience was just like cecilelpham's review below. Very shortly after application my T-zone was oily. I couldn't handle the SPF 30 smell; usually Clinique is without any discernible smell, so I was disappointed, due to my incredible sensitivity to smells and my dependence on Clinique. I also wasn't crazy about the color. The 03 shade worked okay but it had a gray cast to it. I was afraid to buy shade 02 because it was for golden undertones and I'm neutral but look better in pinks than yellows. I gave the bottle I had after only wearing it once or twice to my niece.

on 1/16/2013 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I LOVE this product! It has absolutely become my go to, cannot be without, desert island beauty product!

For starters, the coverage & it does have nice, beautiful coverage, is perfect! If I'm just out running errands I'll put this on with a little powder & go. It evens my skin out that well. It works beautifully under makeup & I've actually shelved some of my favorite primers for just this product. Though my favorite combo for makeup primer is my Clinique BB cream, shade 1 & Benefits, That Gal brightening primer. I mix the products, 2 parts BB cream to 1 part That Gal & WOW, it's a pretty finish! Although I'd only recommend this formula for gals with a fair to light skin tone, preferably 1 with a little rosiness to it, because the Benefit That Gal is a pinkish color.

But whether mixed with That Gal OR alone, I love this BB cream product! The texture is light, not greasy or filmy feeling. I understand how some of you say it feels greasy, the SPF in any product can do that but in this BB cream it's no more of a texture than other SPF products for the face but the BB cream doesn't have the stickiness or smell a lot of SPF products for the face do. The product when you squeeze it onto your fingers might look really luminizing, but it's not, no sparkling here & it leaves the skin with a nice natural skin finish that's perfect alone or under makeup. The product is light enough to feel weightless but substantial enough to cut MY facial skin (red hair, VERY PALE skin) redness.

I love that this is fragrance free & comes in a squeeze tube, not a pump. I can definitely say that my skin does feel & look better after using since February 2012. I've been using the same bottle since then & am only now about to completely run out. A little goes a long way! The SPF 35 is great & the formula doesn't feel heavy like a lot of creams of any kind that have high SPF. If your in the market for a BB cream, this one is great! You won't be disappointed!

YES, I will be buying again:)

on 1/14/2013 3:52:00 PM

The SA told me to use this as a primer, which I did. I use almost powder makeup applied with a brush on top. Wow!! So natural looking and lasts through a full workday into the evening. My very sensitive skin doesn't break out with this at all. Awesome product.

on 1/13/2013 9:38:00 AM

What a wonderfull product!
It´s a great primer with gorgeous results.
And in the hot summer days in Brasil, I don´t really use foundation over it, just the bb cream.
It helps oil control and improves the look of the skin, Its a very ligth coverage but does a decent job in the summer.
Plus it has 30 SPF, wich I personally find very practical.
It holds well make up, and lasts.
My skin loves it. I bougth it for the third time!!!

on 1/4/2013 8:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love everything about this BB cream except for the colors..Which is why I can't use it. The first color is too light & the next is too dark. I hope clinique comes out with more color choices because I really like the feel & finish of this product.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I got a sample of this product in a little container when I purchased some other Clinque makeup. I had never used a BB Cream before and wasn't sure what to think. I applied it with my finger tips and found it was lightweight and not sticky like I expected. It was moisturizing and gave good medium coverage. I still had to use a powder over it because it made my face shiny.
I use the Maybelline BB Cream now and find it does the same job, but for a third of the price.

on 12/24/2012 12:48:00 PM

The one I got doesn't have SPF in it suprisingly, which I noticed after I had opened it.
I haven't tried other BB creams, but this works fine for me. I don't have blemishes but I have big pores and blackheads particularly on t-zone. It does a fantastic job at coverting those up, and giving a dewey/glowing effect on my skin --several people have commented on how good my complexion looks.
I like to use it in the winter instead of foundation because it's thick enough to keep the skin moisturized all day long.
I also find it applies much easier with a face cream underneath --I've tired using it straight after washing my face and it didn't work at all.