July 28, 2014 | 2188 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

rated 3 of 5 on 2/22/2013 6:53:00 AM More reviews by LishWilliams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The only brushes I found really useful in this whole set was the Deluxe crease brush. The base shadow brush is a poor mans 217, which does the job, but I mainly use it for cream products when I don't want to stain my 217. I find the eyeliner brush to thick to get a fine line, but you can buy a fine liner brush separately which I don't understand. The angle brush, again is to thick to get a detailed finish, I don't use the detailer brush, so I can't comment. The case is useful, it has space on the opposite side to add your own brushes, which is great. I feel this brush set falls under the umbrella of false economy for me. I could have brought a brush like the deluxe crease brush, and my 217 and my 239. Instead I brought this brush set, realised it wasn't that great, then brought my mac ones anyway. Maybe this is me being cynical (and I'm sure I am) but I feel that this set lacks brushes that should have been put in, that are sold on there own.

Pros
•brushes clean really well
•the case is useful
•synthetic hair ( good for vegans/ veggies)
•loads of demos on YouTube buy creator
•great for people who might not have the money to spend at mac
•no shedding

Cons
•some of the brushes are to thick for detailed work
• might need to buy other brushes to achieve simple looks that the brush set should include.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2013 7:59:00 PM More reviews by Mellymoomar

This particuar brush set was how I came across Real Techniques brushes for the first time. Do not ask me how on earth I managed not to know about them, because I found out they've been around a while, but they are brilliant. I was looking to update my brush collection and bought this set because it appealed to me the most and found myself very pleased with my purchase. My favourite brush would have to be the deluxe crease brush, simply because its a beautiful kind of dome shape that allows for effortless blending in half the time and a very easy application. The base shadow brush is also very soft and fluffy and again super easy application. They are all very good, as well as being easy to wash. Definitely would recommend and buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2013 4:32:00 AM More reviews by Mocksoup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use these brushes almost exclusively. I can't say enough about these brushes, certainly that hasn't already been said. If you are on a budget, buy these for less than the price of 1 MAC brush. They are amazing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2012 10:05:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

You may not even look twice at these brushes if you see them in person. IMO, they're very tacking looking and lightweight. BUT - when you use them, HOLY COW.

The brow brush looks very large/wide for a regular brow brush. In comparison to other angled brow brushes, it's almost triple the size. I seriously thought to myself "this is never going to work, I'll have caterpillar brows for sure if I use this." But I was so wrong. It is the perfect shape/size for even my sparse/thin brows. The bristles are the perfect density (not too soft, not too hard) for applying powder, wax or mousse brow products.

The eyeshadow brush is one of my favorites out of my entire collection. The shape is very unique, kind of like a flatter, pointier 217 from MAC. Applies shadow to the lid and blends out like nobody's business.

The crease brush is excellent for applying cream eyeshadow to the lids. Blends out into the crease beautifully.

The two littlest brushes are my least-used but I'm sure I'll find a good use for them soon.

Amazing kit for less than $20. Carrying case that these come in is also very functional and great for travel or to keep in your purse.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2012 7:03:00 PM More reviews by ArtisticEyes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am loving these brushes! I was given these on the account that my one brush that I had been using for a little more than 4 years was shedding, and glue was all over the remaining bristles.
Deluxe Crease; This fits perfectly into my crease area, perfect for definition.
Base Brush; Very fluffy, and lets the shadow cover well. Good for blending, as well!
Accent Brush; I use this to highlight the inner corners ("HALAHT THA INNA CORNAS" - Miles Jai), and it works great. I will occasionally use this to apply shadow to the outer v as well.
Pixel-Point liner; I like this for my thicker looks. Maybe I just can't seem to master it, but it does not help for the thin line that I usually use daily. However, it could be lack of experience. Still very nice, holds shape enough to give a steady line.
Brow Brush; Now, I haven't used this, since my brows don't require much maintenence. I worry about the thickness, it seems a bit large for brows...

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2012 4:27:00 PM More reviews by bombace

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great quality brushes at a great price point. They all do a fantastic job at what they were designed for and they clean up very well. If you are looking to start a brush collection for your makeup kit/ collection these would be great to start with. Thank you Samantha Chapman! There is also real techniques youtube channel that explains them and gives tutorials.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2012 3:18:00 PM More reviews by ximachikenx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a big fan of pixiwoo's YouTube channel and had heard such great things about the RT brushes from kokolaroo's review. I bought this set because I didn't want to pay more for eye brushes from Sephora or MAC, and I can easily say that I won't be needing anymore brushes from them. My absolute favorite is the deluxe crease brush, and I would easily purchase five more of them. They are not only excellent for quick eyeshadow application all over the lid, but also makes a great blending brush in conjunction with concealer to cover blemishes and dark eye circles. All the other brushes are great too, and I really like the handles. Would definitely repurchase this and recommend them to everyone, amazing quality for a great price.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2012 8:49:00 PM More reviews by LadyxBec

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like these, for the price they are excellent value.
The GOOD: I have used these everyday for about 3 months, washed a few times and they are still in perfect condition. These look very expensive and nice, and are all super soft.

The BAD: I don't think use any of these as intended - I find that, for example the pixle eyerline brush is difficult to use - but I find it really great for getting the tiniest bit of concealer on blemishes. I find the case a bit useless, but will probably use it when I travel.

Overall if something happened to this set, I would probably get another. I think they're a good starting point for a brush collection for a great price.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2012 2:54:00 AM More reviews by NativeNewyorker

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this starter set kit for eyes mainly to get the base shadow brush and the deluxe crease brush. The reason I only gave this four stars is because you cannot order these brushes individually. These are the two that I really wanted. Also, the rating is for packaging that is honestly of rather poor quality. The case is flimsy, but good for travel.

I agree with those who have said that the base shadow brush is like the MAC 239 and the MAC 217 combined. It's amazing for packing on color and blending. I love the deluxe crease brush for applying concealer. It gives a beautiful, buffed finish and smoothes on the product with ease. This brush can also be used in the crease to apply eyeshadow. I am really happy with both these brushes. I can use the little detailer brush for highlighting the inner corner of the eye and for smudging eyeliner. So that's at least three brushes out of the this kit that I can use. That's still pretty good value.

As for the fine eyeliner brush, that is for gel eyeliner. I use pencil and powder to line my eyes. I may check out a gel eyeliner to see what all the shouting is about. But I won't buy it just so I can use the brush. I will go to the department store and let a SA apply it so that I can see how it looks and how to use it. But I really have no use for the brow brush. In her video, Sam Chapman used it to apply black eyeshadow and smoke out her upper eye liner. But I have much better quality brushes to do that. This one seems to really not belong in this collection. It's not up to the quality of the other brushes.

If I could order the brushes individually, I would buy at least two or three more each of the base shadow brush and deluxe crease brush. But since that isn't an option, I won't buy another starter eye kit. I love those two brushes and hope that they will consider selling them individually at some point. They are an excellent value!

ETA: Now that I have been using these brushes for a while, I just wanted to update my review. At this point I wouldn't put the base shadow brush in the same league with the MAC 239 and 217. It is good for packing on color and blending, but I don't think it is as good as those two MAC brushes. I still use both the deluxe crease brush and the base shadow brush to apply concealer and shadow. I can interchange them with my MAC brushes. I still think these brushes are great value.

ETA: I needed to provide another update. I had a problem with the deluxe crease brush. As I was using the brush, I realized that the brush hairs had detached from the brush itself. The brush hairs will move up or down if I try to put any pressure on it. I have no idea why or how this happened. I clean my brushes the same way. I have had no problem with the base shadow brush or the little detailer brush. I have not had any problem with the Expert Face Brush. I am so disappointed, because this brush was my favorite. However, I am not of a mind to buy the whole starter set again.

For now I am just going to chalk this up as some kind of atypical problem. It's possible that there was something wrong with the brush.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2012 4:38:00 PM More reviews by ImYourFavoriteDrug

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

While these brushes are good quality, I had to return them. They just do not work for me. The big crease brush and dome brush work well, but the liner and brow brushes are just too big. I never used the detailer brush. I would reccomend them for someone who is just starting out with brushes, but I feel like I have better ones in my collection.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No