October 31, 2014 | 1419 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by Polydroogie

I love all these brushes a lot, The only one I don`t care too much for is the pixel point brush, which is too thick for eyeliner application, but the other ones are amazing!
I use the base shadow brush for normal, powder eyeshadow and since I have a small crease, it fits perfectly into it. I use the deluxe crease for concealer and since it is so dense it gets right into the under eye area. I use the angled brush for my brows and the accent brush for under the lower lashline. THEY ARE AMAZING

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2013 11:55:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Super excited and had a freak out moment in Walmart when I finally found these brushes as I've been waiting patiently for them to arrive in Canada. Absolutely love these brushes and find them to be very high quality for such an affordable price as I paid only $18.98. Each brush is light weight with densely packed and soft bristles, no shedding, and washes beautifully to retain their shape. Love the versatility of these brushes as they can be used beyond eye looks and works well with concealer application and blending, lipstick application, and precise face powder application too. Highly recommend them. I've already gone back and repurchased 2 more sets to give as birthday gifts to my friends.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/2/2013 11:24:00 AM More reviews by dropdeaddandy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had high hopes for these, based on the reviews here. I love the pretty purple handles, and the case is somewhat handy (though, as another reviewer mentioned, it is hard to put the brushes back into their little individual slots)...but these are just way too big for me! I had very little control in that the base and the crease brushes each take up like have the size of the eyelid. It resulted in very little chance to get detailed and actually shade one color into the other-the brush would "occupy" like three colors on the lid at once. It made it hard for me to do the regular smokey eye. Maybe with practice I could get used to the size-and if you like using big eye brushes then these should be fine for you. But I am returning mine.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2013 11:47:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

So I bought the Eyes Starter Kit back in January, I do love Real Techniques and the brush are affordable and fantastic quality. In hindsight though, I really didn't need to buy this set. The brushes are great for beginners, but do not even come close to my beloved MAC 217, 239 and 224 brushes for blending, crease work etc. In fact, I use the brushes for different purposes.

So in the set we have:

Base Shadow Brush - Too fluffy for proper eyeshadow application, does a decent job of blending harsh lines.

Deluxe Crease Brush - I love using this brush to apply my loose powder (Ben Nye Banana powder) to my undereye area. I've also used it blend creamy concealer and it does a fine job.

Accent Brush - Not much use for this, except being very precise at apply eyeshadow in my inner corners.

Pixel-Point Eyeliner Brush - Too thick for getting a precise, thin line on my upper lashline. I use this everyday to apply gel liner to my waterline.

Brow Brush - Far too large to apply my MUFE Aqua Brow. My brows are pretty thin right now so ineffective for me, I'll be sticking to my trusty MAC 266 brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2013 1:09:00 PM More reviews by Ebecks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best vale and quality. I had heard great things about the real techniques brushes so I bought the two kits and LOVE them! They do not shed and they help apply makeup perfectly! I found it took some experimenting to find the perfect use for each but now I can't do without these brushes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2013 3:06:00 PM More reviews by albs

I get a lot of use out of some of these brushes and minimal use out of others. I wish these were sold individually. Honestly, I don't think the kit itself is a great "starter kit"- it's missing a lot of essential brushes like a flat shading brush, a thin angled brush, and a thin eyeliner brush. I don't use these brushes exclusively on the eyes. I love the design- the long, aluminum ferules look nice and make washing your brushes a little safer because it's more difficult to accidently get water inside. One of the best things about this kit is that there are a lot of different uses for the brushes. This is how I use them now, but I'm always discovering different ways to utilize them. And they clean very well so you can use them for all sorts of different things- just sanitize!

Base shadow brush: I wish I could buy more of these without getting the whole kit! I love it for blending, I think it works beautifully for that. It's very tapered at the tip so it blends eyeshadow out well without blending it away and making everything look like it's all one colour which is something I always have some difficulty with. I also adore it for cream shadow, especially my Benefit cream shadow which I find disappointing otherwise.

Deluxe crease brush: I think this is a little large to be used as a crease brush. I like to use it to blend out concealer.

Accent brush: teensy little paddle brush. I use it for smudging or putting highlight into the inner corner but I don't use it all that often. Still not bad to have kicking around.

Pixel-point eyeliner brush: Pixel point? Seriously? Too thick to apply gel/creme liner. Not bad for smudgy liner or putting a little colour in the lower lash line.

Brow brush: I don't do my brows and this brush is really too thick to use for anything else. Even if I did do my brows I feel like a thinner, more precise brush would be more beneficial.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 10:56:00 PM More reviews by meghans4295

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Absolutely LOVE these! So much more affordable than MAC, and they do such a good job! They also don't shed, and clean up so easily!

Base eyeshadow brush: so soft, and blends really nicely, really easily!
Deluxe crease brush: I'll be honest, I haven't used it as a crease brush personally, I quite like it for contouring ;)
Liner brush: definitely a bit too thick for liner, IMO (but I already have a great e/l brush so it doesn't matter to me), however I love it for fine detailing with my shadow shape, or more often, getting shadow along my lower lashline carefully!
Accent brush: I use this for concealer, and it's great for me! Small enough so it just covers the spot you need to hide.
Brow brush: I'll be honest, this is the one I have yet to use (because I use pencil on my brows right now), but I'm sure it'll be used eventually!

Overall, i say if you're thinking about getting this set, DO IT! I may also be the minority here, but I find the color really cute :)

rated 3 of 5 on 2/22/2013 6:53:00 AM More reviews by LishWilliams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The only brushes I found really useful in this whole set was the Deluxe crease brush. The base shadow brush is a poor mans 217, which does the job, but I mainly use it for cream products when I don't want to stain my 217. I find the eyeliner brush to thick to get a fine line, but you can buy a fine liner brush separately which I don't understand. The angle brush, again is to thick to get a detailed finish, I don't use the detailer brush, so I can't comment. The case is useful, it has space on the opposite side to add your own brushes, which is great. I feel this brush set falls under the umbrella of false economy for me. I could have brought a brush like the deluxe crease brush, and my 217 and my 239. Instead I brought this brush set, realised it wasn't that great, then brought my mac ones anyway. Maybe this is me being cynical (and I'm sure I am) but I feel that this set lacks brushes that should have been put in, that are sold on there own.

Pros
•brushes clean really well
•the case is useful
•synthetic hair ( good for vegans/ veggies)
•loads of demos on YouTube buy creator
•great for people who might not have the money to spend at mac
•no shedding

Cons
•some of the brushes are to thick for detailed work
• might need to buy other brushes to achieve simple looks that the brush set should include.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2013 7:59:00 PM More reviews by Mellymoomar

This particuar brush set was how I came across Real Techniques brushes for the first time. Do not ask me how on earth I managed not to know about them, because I found out they've been around a while, but they are brilliant. I was looking to update my brush collection and bought this set because it appealed to me the most and found myself very pleased with my purchase. My favourite brush would have to be the deluxe crease brush, simply because its a beautiful kind of dome shape that allows for effortless blending in half the time and a very easy application. The base shadow brush is also very soft and fluffy and again super easy application. They are all very good, as well as being easy to wash. Definitely would recommend and buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2013 4:32:00 AM More reviews by Mocksoup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use these brushes almost exclusively. I can't say enough about these brushes, certainly that hasn't already been said. If you are on a budget, buy these for less than the price of 1 MAC brush. They are amazing.