September 17, 2014 | 985 users online

Treatments (Face) - Estee Lauder - Idealist Even Skintone Illuminator

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 1:01:00 PM More reviews by csquared14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

What this product ended up being to me is very, very expensive shimmer for my face. And if I wanted that, I would have bought the cheap ELF stuff from Target, because their whipped illuminator product essentially does the same thing that this did for me.

I'm generally not someone who gets too angry when a product with claims like this does not work out--I mean, there's only so much a serum is going to do. I accept that. But to charge THIS price for it?! This is probably not a product I would have bought myself, but I received a bottle as a part of a gift. I used it consistently for three months, when I realized that it was just not doing anything. The claim by Lauder is that if used consistently for 12 straight weeks (three months, as I did), it will give you a more even, glowing skintone, reduce dark spots, etc. It did none of that--absolutely nothing. And, based on the reviews here, it would seem that I am not the only person who had that problem--you can make a valid argument about products working differently on different types of skin, but if this many people are having issues with it, then there is a serious problem. This is a product that, depending on the size that you get, can run you up to $158, not including tax/shipping. That is, quite simply, not acceptable, not to mention surprising for a brand with the history and reputation of Estee Lauder.

The product, essentially, gives you a shimmery golden golden glow from the sparkles that are in it. While this would be nice if it was, say, a bronzer, it's not--it's supposed to be making my skin glow on its own, with no products. I didn't have problems with breakouts or anything, which is not a given for me acne-prone skin. It isn't really moisturizing, but it's a serum, so it makes sense that it would just be one step in your routine. The packaging is, as with all Lauder products, absolutely lovely.

I guess that if you're one of the very few people who have had a positive experience with this product, that's great. But for the rest of us, it just seems like a colossal waste of money, not to mention a misleading ad campaign. You're better off with the Garnier dark spot fader, which worked significantly better for me. I'd love to see the research that went into this product, to see if they have the scientific justification for the pricetag.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2012 10:27:00 AM More reviews by yilynn

Pros:
- A great product that helped to even my skin tone - removing freckles, redness and whatnot!

- As an added bonus, it gives a shimmery finish on application! :)

Cons:
- A bit pricey

It does however, have to be used rigorously for quite a number of weeks before any observable effects can be seen.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/19/2012 10:04:00 AM More reviews by kavitabc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Complete waste of money on this product.
I'm asian with medium brown complexion, i have very dry skin esp. on my face so scars don't fade away quickly or completely. i also have uneven skin tone, sun spots. I paid $70 at belk's & i'm going to finish the bottle & then trash it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2012 6:52:00 AM More reviews by JCM123

So I was given a few sachets of this stuff and then....ahem...'borrowed' my mum's bottle of this and I have to say I am very impressed. I am always hesitant about trying new products as I tend to get very congested on my jaw line and chin and have finally got a routine working for me that means I am spot free (woohoo!). I found that this has not exacerbated any of my skin 'issues' at all. I am not sure I have seen any kind of dramatic improvement in tone, but what I love is the glow effect this stuff gives me.

I apply this on my face in the morning, with a bit of translucent powder on my -t-zone to help keep oilies at bay and I am good to go. I also like to mix a drop or two of this with my Invisible Fluid foundation to give me an even more glowing complexion on a night out. Been getting positive comments on my skin from both my husband and friends so it must be doing something good :0)

I am about to go and purchase my very own bottle today...as I finished mum's off (shhhh)

UPDATE: 30/08/2012 - I am not 100% convinced that this stuff does much to even out my skintone at all... but it does leave such a nice radiance to my skin, whilst keeping it matte to the touch that I do still like to mix this in with foundations to make them dewier and I also like to use this on days where I go foundation free but just want to have a lovely 'lit from within' sort of skin. There are many other products out there than achieve the same result, but as I have quite an oily t-zone this is one of the very few that doesn't make me a huge grease-ball by 12 pm :)

rated 2 of 5 on 6/8/2012 1:06:00 PM More reviews by sohipithurts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

I used this product for about a year and it did not help to even out my skin tone or to reduce redness. It did give off a nice shimmery finish that made my skin look like it was glowing, but with continued use the glowing look disappeared. This product was way too expensive and did little to improve the look of my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2012 6:22:00 PM More reviews by Psychadelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I was given 5 sachets of EL's Idealist Skintone Illuminator and by sachet 3, I knew I had to get this. My skin is blotchy at best of times - red cheeks, old acne scars, pigmentation marks, you name it! By sachet 5, my skin had gone through an incredible turnaround. My face is smoother, softer and the redness which I have suffered with for years is gone and so has most of the pigmentation marks! My acne scars are still there but they have faded considerably. Even my husband who is normally so blasť actually commented, twice(!) that my skin was looking so much clearer and better. This has been a lifesaver. I feel more confident now knowing that underneath this veil of makeup, I have good skin!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2012 5:57:00 PM More reviews by suukyi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used two jars of this product until I decided to go on to something else and never go back. I think it's great in lightening acne scars, but the effects are temporary. I was told by an Estee Lauder rep that for this serum to be effective I should always use a moisturizer over it, and I followed these instructions but still didn't get the results I wanted.
Also, this makes my face look shiny even when I don't use makeup. I'd like for my skin to look translucent and luminous, but not in the sense of having green/yellow shinny glitter on my face. If I had to go out of the house without makeup, I'd rather go out without this product on.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2012 4:39:00 PM More reviews by MariSun123

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hi Girlies,
I'm absolutly buying this product again, it took away the redness and some pimple marks of my face with one week after using the product twice a day . AWESOME.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/4/2012 1:24:00 AM More reviews by SlmS1992

I got this as a sample from David Jones. It didn't do much for my skin pigmentations. I use it every morning and my skin still seems to be the same . The only thing I like about it is the slight shimmer and glow it adds to my skin. Unlike some other reviews, it didnt break me out in acne. Won't be purchasing it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2012 1:06:00 PM More reviews by vivapandora

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Not a fan of original idealist, but this one is great!
I have sensitive, acne prone skin, and discoloration from past breakout IS a concern for me. I love this stuff (can't believe the fragrance doesn't irritate my skin), I use it every morning now. Since getting my breakouts under control I appreciate the subtle golden shimmer that never makes me look sparkly, just radiant. It does seem to help with skin tone, but I am using a prescription retinal at night too (very good combo). I can mix it with my tinted moisturizer or foundation (smooth operator or amazonian both by tarte) or wear it alone under some sheer powder. It is great for layering or priming under makeup too. Super versatile, doesn't ball up or have trouble mixing. You can even mix it with sunscreen! It also makes the skin feel velvety smooth.
LOVE it!