October 1, 2014 | 1844 users online

Shampoo - Shea Moisture - Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by katmendez

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've spent 2 years experimenting with natural shampoos and conditioners. Not fun -- because so many are a drag to even try!

I have South Asian hair: thick, strong, course. Mine is slightly wavy. The roots tend to get oily and the rest dry.

In short, this is a solid natural shampoo. It lathers well and leaves my hair moisturized and shiny, if a little "natural" smelling. The ingredients are especially good: it rates a 1 on SkinDeep.

I use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioner with this shampoo -- highly recommended combination.

PLEASE NOTE: this shampoo contains protein. As many of you know, protein either it works for you or it doesn't. Even if your hair takes well to protein, remember that it tends to to build up over time, after which your hair may be sullen and limp. With any protein shampoo or treatment, you must use a clarifying shampoo once in a while. My favorite is Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo, although it contains SLS. (At least I restrict the bead stuff to just once or twice a month.)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2012 8:01:00 PM More reviews by Bountiful23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

I LOVE this shampoo on my natural hair. When I rinse it out, my hair looks and feels so moisturized. For my hair, it was also less tangly.( I'm kind of upset that this was not around when I was younger, it would have saved on a bunch of pain). I love the smell. There is nothing wrong I can say about this wonderful shampoo. I will repurchase. My hair type is 3c/4a for reference.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2012 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Suzie2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Holy Grail shampoo.

I absolutely love this shampoo. I am Caucasian and have 2C-3A hair. This stuff makes my hair very soft and shiny. The best part is my scalp feels absolutely fabulous when I use this - clean but not dry or itchy like it normally is. I am using the conditioner too and the jury is still out on that, but this shampoo can't be beat, imo.

Update 1/12/2013
I stopped using this because it made my scalp itch. I still use the conditioner, but now I use the African Black Soap Shampoo which I like better.

Update 11/24/2013. I no longer use the conditioner either.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2012 10:00:00 PM More reviews by SHADADYL

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

this is a good shampoo gives my hair lots of moisture it was kind of expensive but worth it

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2012 12:41:00 PM More reviews by desha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Well, I just about love this shampoo. I have coarse, wirey, dry, kinky hair. I've alternated between relaxed hair and natural hair for years. I am 2 years natural and this is the first time I've worn my hair this way since the explosion of natural hair products. This product does what it says, retains moisture. I use this in my rotation. I'm not a fan of the scent, however, but I did not take a lippie away because scents don't bother me unless they are strong and cloying. This works better on my hair than the Creme of Nature Argan shampoo, which for some reason coats my hair. (It's a good shampoo, however.) But this is better for me. If you are natural and don't know what shampoos to choose, you can't go wrong with this shampoo. You don't need to use a lot, start with a pea-sized amount and work up. If you don't like a ton of products, the Kinky Curly Come Clean paired with this will keep the right balance between gentle moisture retaining cleansing and gentle clarifying, without total stripping shampooing. Now if only Shea Moisture would make a shampoo like this for women with grey hair. I still have to occasionally use a sulfate shampoo for that. Shikakai makes the only sulfate free shampoo for grey hair, but it can be drying.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2012 11:02:00 AM More reviews by misstaryn08

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

It's so hard to find a shampoo that does not suck the moisture out of my hair. I love that when I use this, my hair is soft and I can run my fingers through my hair!!! This is often a problem that I have with shampoo. My hair gets so tangly and rough I feel like I'm pulling it out but this shampoo is amazing. I only didnt give it a perfect score because of the smell. It is not by any means a bad smell, it just isnt a good smell. It's distinct. By my third wash, I was used to it and don't mind at all. I will buy again and again and again. BTW my hair is chemically relaxed.

edit: this shampoo is the best. nothing compares

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2012 6:23:00 PM More reviews by adrianamkh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I love this shampoo. Can't say enough good things about it. When all the news hit about sulphates, I could not find a single shampoo without them; from the least expensive brand at Target, to the most obscenely expensive brand at a salon (I thought I was going to have to take out a second mortgage on my house :-) !!)
Since my hair tends on the dry side, a couple years ago I started looking at the section of products marketed for African American hair. I found some great conditioners and masks that I still use. So I decided to check out the shampoos and the rest is history.
Shea Moisture Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo says it all in the name, and does what is says. My hair is super healthy. And as an added bonus, this company engages in Fair Trade, no animal testing, and, I believe, either donates to or funds a non-profit to promote the empowerment of disadvantaged women.

On a side note, I just had my first Keratin Smoothing Treatment, and I'm trying to make sure I can continue using this shampoo. I can't imagine why not, but I want to be careful not to undo this awesome treatment.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2012 12:26:00 AM More reviews by Collage909

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

Best shampoo, Ever. I realized that the reason my hair always ended up dry was because of sulfates, so I switched to this sulfate free shampoo after a lot of rave reviews, and the minute my hair dried, I was in love. It didn't lather up as much as I read it would, but it definitely softened and helped with detangling my hair. As my hair dried, I noticed it was shinier, softer, and less frizzy (and i'm about 12 weeks post relaxer!). This stuff is magic. I keep waiting for my hair to poof up, dry out and taunt me with crispy ends, but this (and my trusty coconut oil) have become my best friends. My only complaint is the smell, I was hoping it would smell as nice as the Shea Moisture smoothie but it has an organic-y smell that slightly lingers. Still, that is a tiny price to pay - definitely recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2012 12:13:00 AM More reviews by treehugger222

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Hmm...
I didn't like this at all at first because my hair was dried out, but then I learned that it was my conditioner that had too much protein that was making my hair dry, not this! This is wonderful. It is super slippy, very moisturizing, smells nice, and not stripping at all. I use this with a pump of the matching conditioner as a leave-in. I have thick, dense, dry curly/wavy hair that sometimes gets build-up, but this gets my hair totally clean! My mother, who has baby fine, dry, colored hair loves it too. I'd recommend it to anyone!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2012 2:00:00 AM More reviews by faija

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm relaxed and this shampoo is great! It doesn't strip my hair at all and it leaves it feeling like I already conditioned. The only bad thing about this is that it has a strong smell like a man's cologne that is very strong and lingers. I'll still buy it again though.

UPDATE: I can't. It never left my hair feeling really clean. Add the strong cologne smell plus the price and it wasn't worth it. I've moved on to Elast QP Creme Conditioning shampoo.