August 1, 2014 | 1013 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Core Collection

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2013 6:27:00 PM More reviews by Cindi33

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had read great reviews of these Real Techniques brushes on beauty blogs and so when Ulta had a 20% off everything storewide, I jumped on this opportunity to grab a starter set. These came packaged in a nice stand/travel case, but I removed them and store them with my other brushes so I can't say how well the stand performs or how sturdy it is. It will be great for travel though to keep them organized and protected. The brushes are very soft and flexible and feel soft when you use them. I love applying my foundation with the foundation brush as it goes on so smoothly and looks airbrushed when I am finished. My only complaint is that the foundation brush is somewhat small and I get impatient trying to do a whole face, but for the performance and the low price, I can overlook that. That's why I took off 1 lippy on the rating. The contour brush works well for both bronzer or blush or highlighter and the buffing brush is sooo soft and fluffy and it blends everything and gives a beautiful finish. I've had these 2 weeks now and so far these wash and dry well without distortion of the fibers or loss of bristles. I am so delighted with this set of brushes and I am now raving about them too! Even full price this set is less than $20 which is a bargain for the quality and performance of these. This would be a fantastic gift for the make up artist/beauty lover.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2013 7:44:00 AM More reviews by kmp789

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I purchased this set and the Real Techniques Starter Brush Set at drugstore.com when there was a buy one get one 50% off deal. I am so glad I did because these brushes are the softest ones I own. I love them!

My favorite brush out of this set is the contour brush. It is the perfect size and wonderfully tapered to give a beautiful, soft effect when adding a bit of contour or blush. I use it to highlight as well. I wish I had 2 more of these brushes I love it so much!

I don't use powder foundations since I have dry skin, but the buffing brush works great for any liquid foundation (stick to a beauty blender for creams though). It would also work well for applying a primer, tinted moisturizer, BB cream, etc.

The foundation brush is a bit small to use for foundation application, in my opinion. But when I want a bit of a stronger contour this brush easily gives a more concentrated color that I can blend out. This brush is not particularly dense, but it gets the job done. Some may also find this brush to be useful for blending out concealer (I prefer to use my finger or the dome shaped brush from the Starter Brush Set).

Lastly, the detailer brush is also tapered and is pretty small. I do not use it for spot concealing or anything like that, but it makes for a great lip brush. It is also a great tool for very precise highlighting (i.e., inner corner of the eye).

Overall, these brushes are worth the price (averaging $18) to me. They come in a neat foldable case that can be converted into a stand, and the quality is there. The only brush I've experienced shedding with was the buffing brush (this was before I even used it once), but this was very minimal and after one washing it has never shed again. Again, I love the feel of these brushes, and when you are using something on your face I think it should be soft. If I lost these brushes, or even just the contour or buffing brushes alone, I would repurchase the set (I do wish they were sold individually though).

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2013 8:00:00 PM More reviews by Simonjw

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

For £20.99 this is a bargain and I'm so happy I bought these! The buffing brush is by far my favourite and can be used for so many things. The reason I have it 4/5 is only due to the foundation brush I just wish it was larger

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2013 7:25:00 PM More reviews by SiteNo8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this set and the Eye Starter set at Walmart. These are very good quality brushes for an excellent price. Both sets fit into one case, plus EcoTools' large powder brush and custom coverage buffing brush. I really like that the case is appropriate for travel, and stands up while in use, too.
The three brushes with this set are a foundation brush (yellow), multi task brush (pink), and a domed shadow brush (purple). I find the multi task brush great for blush and bronzer, and the domed brush is perfect for the eyelid crease. I don't use the foundation brush for foundation, though. I tried it, but I prefer a chisel brush. It does do a good job of evenly applying concealer under my eyes.
I've been using these brushes for about 8 weeks. They are still soft, they don't shed, and they perform as well as ever.
I rated them 4, not 5, because I had to buy 2 sets to get the brushes I wanted. I could not buy them separately. Not sure if this was due to Real Techniques, or the store.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2013 11:21:00 AM More reviews by cginel90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is by far the best brushes I have owned so far. The bristles are super soft and apply makeup nicely. My only complaint is the case it comes with. It is not made very well but I use it as a drying stand when I was my brushes which works great.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2013 9:30:00 AM More reviews by Monyak12

So far this is the best brush set ive ever had! Among the three brushes i am deeply keen with the buffing brush. The white color on the tip of the brush lets you know if there's still product remaining when youre cleaning the brush. Its worth every penny!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2013 8:55:00 PM More reviews by marianagallardo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a HIT for me in every way.

As a makeup artist Im always looking for good makeup tools because at least I dont want any client to complain about scratchy, rough, cheap, brushes and after reading and watch TONS of positives reviews I decided to try them but uh-oh! I remembered I live in Mexico and that I will never, EVER be able to buy them but one day I was shopping at Sanborn´s (a small but fun store where you can find makeup, electronics, jewelry... etc) and I was in the makeup section and I saw them... I saw The Core Collection (the yellow one) so as the other ones and I almost yelled of happiness!! THANK YOU SAM FOR REMEMBER US, THE MEXICANS!!! MOST BRANDS FORGET US!!!

Of course I wanted them all but I just brought with me enough money to buy at least one collection (lucky me). I bought the kit for $400 pesos or $30USD.

I bought this for me just to try it and also for my kit.

You get 4 brushes and a case:

The case: It acts like a transformer, hahaha. You can carry your brushes with you with no problem OR you can stand your brushes in your vanity or while you´re working. It have elastics so your brushes will be secure and wont move at all.

Buffing brush: For applying mineral and powder foundations, it is dense but it have movement. It aloud you to apply the product pretty evenly. You can achieve a light to full coverage with this brush (obviously it also depends on the foundation you use and how much you work your foundation). I had used it for foundation and even for contouring using the edge of it and it gives great results! Like a natural contour broze-y look like if you had spend some hours under the sun.

Contour brush: Its kind of pointy-rounded, if it have any sense. It will fit the hollows of your cheeks BEAUTIFULLY. The shorter hairs blend the product you use like a dream! I use it for foundation, as a concealer for under eye circles, it works AMAZING because it fits the edges so good and I also use it for contouring as it is supposed.

Foundation brush: I dont remember the exact name but I remember it was ridiculously small for the purpose. I lost it at a wedding I went a couple months ago while I was re touching the bride´s makeup. I mainly used it for concealing, and when I wanted to give a very sculpted look to the faces of my clients. I also used it to highlight cheekbones or under eye circles.

Detailer brush: Tiny brush for a precise conceal like blemishes, beauty marks, etc. and applying lip products. I also use it for highlighting inner corners of eyes, smudging lower or even upper lash lines and for correcting the edges of bold lips.

As you can see, you buy 4 brushes AND the case for a GREAT price.

The once that I bought for my kit I wash them EVERY DAY and mine I wash them every week. They haven't shed at all. They have them for 8 months washing them constantly and they look and feel like if I had bought them yesterday. It is pretty easy to wash them even when I work with creams and long lasting products. My trick is to use liquid detergent, the one I use for my clothes. I put a little bit in a bowl and the dirt comes off immediately. A bonus is that they doesn't come with the metal thing that holds together the bristles and the handle so its super easy and safe to wash them. I squeeze them to take off the excess of water and let them fry horizontally. They take about 3-4 hours to dry completely. The good thing is that the handle is light weigh so as a makeup artist I am really thankful. They also come with a rubber part so it will aloud you to work and not through them, it acts like an anti slipping. They doesnt soak up the product at all so you wont be wasting a lot of product.

I WOULD REPURCHASE THE KIT WITHOUT A DOUBT but the 2 Core Collections I own will last me for ever! :D

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2013 2:49:00 AM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I see people say they prefer these to Eco Tools or ELF Studio brushes. But I say these are a rather different type of product. Handle design aside, each line has different brush shapes and sizes which when combined with their different fibers make them suitable for different kinds of products. So, think twice before tossing your cheap 3$ brushes in the trashcan and rushing for the iHerb discount.

Personally, this set is all I have from Real Techniques and I'm convinced it's all I will ever need by them.

Design is important factor when I look for brushes. The pink and purple handles are so girly, maybe even childish. I much prefer the yellow brushes, without the wider base. I would have considered the blush brush but I'm not sure I would have used it. For powder I prefer a flat top brush, and for blush I like something smaller and angled.

Coming back to the set, the Buffing Brush is the highlight. I don't wear foundation but I use this for bronzer. It is small enough for contouring and the round dome shape allows round circular motions for larger areas of the face. The white endings of the fibers allow you to see how much product it picked up, and if there is still any left on it. It doesn't shed and it dries quickly.

The Contour Brush, good for more precise contouring or even setting concealer with powder.

The Pointed Foundation Brush I ended up using for highlighting with a powder product. As with the normal size foundation brush, the bristles are thicker and stiffer but the side is just thin enough and I can be precise.

The Detailer Brush is short, pointed and thick. It's too short for lips, and for concealer I find it too pointed and stiff. It's also too short and thick for eyeliner, but it might actually work if you need to smudge.

The Panoramic Case, I simply threw away. And that's very much unlike me. But my brushes I keep in a glass, to dry I hang them upside-down with elastics, and I carry them around in a thermos when traveling. Real Techniques brushes being relatively short, it doesn't fit my other longer brushes, and the material feels somewhat cheap.

Overall, Real Techniques brushes have rightfully earned their name, and the Core Collection is a good place to start and get an idea what to expect. For me I'm afraid, the journey only came this far.

NOTE: The black matte part of the buffing brush handle started to 'wrinkle' and I ended up scraping it all off with a coin, uncovering the shiny black plastic underneath. Yes, it does happen even if you wash appropriately. If your fingers get wet during the process and you like to wash regularly, you will experience this.
It is a bit disappointing as it looked and felt much nicer when it was matte, but I guess the cheap price point was bound to manifest itself.) It is still fully functional though and I will definitely repurchase if it breaks down.

Those looking for cruelty free synthetic brushes should check out the less talked about Body Shop range which become quite reasonable with their occasional 50% discount on makeup. They are even better quality than these.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2013 9:10:00 PM More reviews by TheDragonsVanity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The Panoramic case makes it easy to store all my face brushes and it is excellent for hanging my brushes upside down to dry after I've deep-cleaned them.

I use eye shadows as contour colors so the size of the Contour Brush is perfect to dip into the small pans. The shape is designed well too- get the product on the tip of the brush then start blending it on the face. The longer bristles will place the color, the shorter bristles blend it out. Contouring is now effortless.

The Detailer Brush is heavily pinched at the ferrule so it is very flat. The bristles are cut to a filbert shape. The size and shape are conducive to blending eye liner along the lash line. You could also use it as a lip brush, but the long handle and lack of a cap make it less than purse-friendly. I use the Detailer Brush as an eye brush when I do glittery looks. I prefer to have the glitter on just the mobile lid and this brush works great to precisely apply a glitter base and then pack on glitter and/or loose pigments.

The buffing brush is round, flat-topped with a very slight taper at the edges. When used with a powder foundation, it gives more coverage than the large, loose Powder Brush does, but less coverage than the smaller, more dense Expert Face Brush. I have also used this with less pigmented blushes and it does alright, but I would not recommend using it with ultra-pigmented ones like Nars Orgasm, unless you like the clown look.

I do not use flat foundation brushes so I gave the Pointed Foundation Brush to my friend.

All Real Techniques brushes are very easy to clean and dry quickly. None of the Real Techniques brushes I have have ever shed on me, nor are any of them stained from continued use of colored products.

I have 3 downsides to Real Techniques brushes:

1) If you use alcohol or an alcohol-based cleaner to spot-clean clean your synthetic brushes, be sure to keep it away from the rubbery/soft coating on the black handle- it will melt the coating off. It doesn't ruin the brush, but you will be left with a black, shiny plastic handle with sharpish edges (this happened to my Expert Face Brush).

2) The aluminum ferrule will dent relatively easily compared to steel ferrules of other brushes. Do NOT knock the brush on the side of your sink to shake the excess water out after you've washed any of your Real Techniques brushes- it will dent the crap out of it. Don't ask me how I know. ~sigh~

3). The brushes that come in sets are NOT also sold separately. So for example if you want the Contour Brush, you have to buy the Core Collection to get it. This is the only reason the set gets 4 lippies instead of 5.

Overall Real Techniques brushes are high quality, ultra-soft brushes at a great price point. I would recommend them to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 12:41:00 PM More reviews by Costumiere77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this kit, so much so that I require it for my Stage Makeup college course. These brushes are incredibly easy to clean and durable as well as suitable for a whole range of products- even sturdy Ben Nye creme that comes in the student kits that I suspect has a different formula from the a la carte foundations... possibly to increase shelf life.

Anyway, the buffing brush is great for application, blending, powder... everything. My least favorite is the little brush in this kit, but it is still better than most.