November 23, 2014 | 1963 users online

Cleansers - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Argan Cleansing Oil

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2013 4:13:00 PM More reviews by DrMAC

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This cleansing oil is nothing like Shu's.. so if you like that oil, you should stick with it. I got this in a set with the argan oil and several other items. It has a citrus smell, and is very thick when applying it to my face. I accidentally got some in my mouth when I was washing it off, and it has a strange bitter taste. This product is a fail.. they should make a different cleanser that isn't so thick and unpleasant..

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2012 11:30:00 PM More reviews by TeMpErMeNtAl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

As most of the other reviewers have said this is a thick product that does pull at the skin if you don't mix water. However I usually like to wet my face first to get my makeup moving around on my face then apply this cleanser and I have no problems. With the way I use this I would say it cleans off about 80% of my makeup so I'll use a toner after to make sure I've got everything off. If you use heavy makeup then I would say this is not for you.
Even though this is an oil it can be drying so you have to moisturizer afterward. I haven't had any problem with packaging and it hasn't broken me out. My only real problem with this product is the price. I think this is a good product overall however I'm not sure if I would pay this much again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2012 2:53:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

For a cleansing oil, the consistency is a little too thick for my preference. Did not seem to really clean my face well or rinse off well.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2012 5:11:00 PM More reviews by kimk

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't much like this cleansing oil. I don't mind the scent at all, but it's sticky and you literally can't rub it around on your face - my fingers move about half an inch and then they just stick in place. It's the weirdest stuff ever. you have to add water to get it spread over your face, and that causes it to emulsify and it doesn't clean as well then. I will use the bottle but will not repurchase. It cleans *ok* but there are too many other, cheaper oils to use that work the way a cleansing oil is supposed to work to buy this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2012 1:51:00 PM More reviews by daisyeyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm a huge fan of oil cleansers. I normally use Babor but was running low and hadn't ordered it. Babor is not available where I live, so I popped into Sephora for an emergency substitute. I've used Josie Maran hair oil before, was impressed with the facial oil's ingredients, and thought it would be a good choice. It wasn't. As others have said, this is too thick to glide smoothly over the skin until water is added. Too much pulling and tugging! Yikes! I thought it was a little too difficult to rinse away, and I had a big breakout after a few days of using it (big breakout as in so bad I went to the derm), making me think I still didn't rinse well enough. The smell is horrendous. The citrusy notes are ok, but there is another scent in it that makes you want to barf because it smells like, well, barf. Seriously. I gave this a good 10 days' effort and just couldn't deal with it. Not for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2012 8:37:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I do like this for the winter especially with the fact I use Retin A. I noticed it has stopped my peeling from the dry weather because my skin was fine till it got cold. Once the weather started getting bad i started using this it's a thick oil but I like it I don't use it to remove my eye makeup as I use remover so I can't say how it is on the eyes. I can say on my face it's amazing. It removes my makeup easily and leaves my skin so soft. I can also say it hasn't broken me out and that's really important to me. I do love the scent and I love cleansing oils so I want to try others but would repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2012 9:26:00 PM More reviews by milicak

This product is really amazing because i've been using it for 20 days and I love it! I was sooo skeptikal about adding more oil to my face, however this is a life saver.Try it! You have nothing to loose!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2012 10:55:00 AM More reviews by Joannapalu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been using this cleansing oil for about a week now, and I love it!
The reason why I tried a cleansing oil is because I just started using Stila's new Stay all Day foundation, and I found that it wasn't coming off with just facewash or even a makeup removing cloth. As a result, I started breaking out quite badly- worse than I have in years. So, I knew I had to try something different, and I wasn't ready to give up on this foundation, because it really is amazing.

I received a sample of this cleansing oil and one of the Philosophy Purity Cleansing Oil. At first, I felt that Josie Maran's cleansing oil was much too thick, though it did remove my foundation (and in turn, cleared up my skin, even eliminating these little bumps I had been dealing with for a while, on the side of my face).

Still, I wasn't sure how much I liked the thickness of it, so I tried the Philosophy cleansing oil for a few days, and immediately I started getting breakouts again and those little bumps I had been dealing with for a while on the side of my face, re-appeared.

Now I've switched back to the Josie Maran Cleansing Oil (bought a bottle of it), and my face is getting clearer by the day. The bumps on the sides of my face have disappeared, and the pimples I had are now going away, with no new ones emerging! This stuff is amazing- I love it! It really makes my face feel super clean after washing with it. Even the Philosophy cleansing oil didn't give me that super clean feeling as this does.

Price isn't too bad compared to other similar products (it's $36 CAD for 180 ml at Sephora).

Only cons I can think of:
-pump bottle might be hard to travel with (but I just put a little in one of those sample jars from Sephora).
-it is fairly thick and pulls at the eyes (I found neither this one nor the Philosophy oil cleanser fully removed my eye makeup anyway, so I just use a waterproof eye makeup remover).

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2012 8:37:00 AM More reviews by marlavm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Sorry, Josie -- I love ya, but I'm not a fan of this cleansing oil. I was hoping to like it because the ingredient deck is great but - agreeing with previous reviewers -- it's too thick! I believe the heaviness/stickness of this product interferes with its ability to effectively remove makeup. Maybe try reformulating and bring out a "Light" version that emulsifies better? For those looking for an alternative, try Origins cleansing oil.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2012 8:13:00 PM More reviews by Chickadee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This cleansing oil is very thick and difficult to massage into the face unless you use a lot each time. If you don't, you will still have eye makeup smeared over your face. This doesn't hold a candle to Shu Uemura. I like a lot of Josie's other products but this one was a fail for me. Shu and even Origins make better cleansing oils. I also don't know what was up with this, but mine seemed to separate a little into layers, but nowhere on the directions did it say to shake it up.