April 16, 2014 | 983 users online

Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 2 of 5 on 9/27/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by Christy76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is just a warning..... This product is more for natural blondes.It will stripe yr color,so don't buy it! I do hair & I warn people,so they won't me up their hair.Becareful if u just colored yr hair & think this will make it better,NOT!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/20/2012 11:26:00 PM More reviews by bink180

I just recently had my hair bleached and thought this help brighten it a little bit.

It says it activates with heat and the more heat you use the faster the lightening results will be. It claims that is contains a thermo-protectant but I didn't beleive it. So I used heat-protecting spray just to see if it would affect in any way. Didn't work. So I waited a couple days and tried again without the heat protectant, it lightened the slightest slightest bit and it dried out my hair so bad.

I'm assuming it might just work better for natural blondes. but this just wasn't rocking my socks off. Taking it back.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/31/2012 2:22:00 AM More reviews by vivi1988

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have naturally light blonde hair. But I get it highlighted a few shades lighter ever 5 weeks. As I am saving up for go overseas I thought I would cheat and use this product to plug my roots to buy me a couple more weeks before I spend $200 for my next highlights. I read some reviews on the John Frieda site and they assured me of its 'miracle formula'

I used this product 4-5 times on my roots per directed on towel dried hair, and used a blowdryer and hair straightener. It made a fast impact and I was thrilled with the small changes I could see. But within two weeks my hair TURNED ORANGE. Quite suddenly really. As in, carrot juice orange. I look like Ron Weasley's forgotten sister. Except that it's just my roots. And not the sexy Christina Hendricks red, it's more of a Carrotop kinda shade. You can imagine how thrilled my boyfriend is.

So my hair now looks completely mutant. I pumped some dry shampoo on it to tone down the drama of bright orange roots, but it was so ridiculous that when I talked to people at work their eyes kept flicking up to my ridiculous hair. SO I went and got some violet shampoo (also John Frieda) which left my roots a yellowish/bile looking shade, and the rest of my hair a greyish look. Sexy!

Would I recommend it? No. Unless your boyfriend has a Mrs Ronald McDonald fetish, and loves the smell of vinegar smelling hair, I would most definitely not recommend this product for women with naturally light/ashy blonde hair.

*sad face*

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2012 4:43:00 PM More reviews by kinkilica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My once beautiful hair is falling out massively, for 2 months now, after I've been using this product for almost a year. something I've learned-if it seems too good to be true it usually is.... Strands that are falling out have white colored roots, because of the accumulation of Hydrogen Peroxide in my scalp. I have no idea what to do, doctors advise to try and condition my hair and use essential oils on the scalp but nothing is helping so far.... I've lost so much hair and am constantly depressed because of it. Don't risk it!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2012 1:59:00 AM More reviews by Kaseyjb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this product for over a year, now. I am naturally a dirty blonde to light brown color, but I have been dying my hair for many, many years. As most, I hate having to spend tons of money to get my roots touched up at the salon. Obviously your hair dresser is going to recommend you to stop using this product in order for them to get more business from you. Honestly, after having my hair dyed blonde for many years, my hair was getting much, MUCH thinner than it used to be. After I started using this, I haven't had to go to a salon for anything but a bang cut. My hair is MUCH healthier feeling, has grown much faster than when I used to have it dyed, and just, in general, my hair doesn't fall out as easily as when I had it dyed at the salon. I am SO pleased with this product, and I don't agree with ANY of these negative reviews. Obviously if you naturally are darker than a light brown to a dirty blonde, you shouldn't even touch this product, in fact, leave your hair your dark color. I hope that John Frieda never, EVER discontinues this. I never want to go back to a salon to get my roots touched up again. I have repurchased this around 5 times=]
*Oh, and for goodness sake, make sure to read the directions and use it only on wet hair!

**You can look at my pictures on my profile to see my current hair color and how this product has worked on me

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2012 2:35:00 PM More reviews by immy123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have light brunette hair that I ombre using various lightening products. This is the best by far. I don't like using dyes and so this was perfect for me . Yes, it contains peroxide and is very damaging to your hair. Did I have an allergic reaction? No. Did my hair fall out? No. The ends went dry, which I solved by using a deep conditioning hair masque every couple of days combined with conditioner. To get best results, I washed my hair with Phil Smith Bombshell conditioner and shampoo, used Tresemme split remedy masque then towel dryed my hair then sprayed about 1/8 of the bottle onto the ends, and a few highlights in my hair to make it look more natural. I wouldn't advise using GHD's, blow dryers etc. as this is even more damaging and hair becomes very weak. Within 3 uses of this, my hair was much lighter. Do NOT use if you have black hair unless you're going for the ginger look. i also advise using Lush marilyn hair mask as this brightens highlights for a more vibrant look. This bottle lasts for just over 9 days, assuming you use it everyday.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2012 11:04:00 AM More reviews by cuonbroadway

I've been using Sun-In for the past 4, almost 5 years. While Sun-In has been effective on my hair, I absolutely hate the smell. It seems to stick around on my hair even after I've washed it several times. I thought I'd try the Go Blonder product to see if I could avoid that awful smell.

Well, first of all it's a much more expensive product and you get less product with Go Blonder than Sun-In. But, it does get rid of the smell issue that I was having.

Go Blonder creates results faster for me than Sun-In does. I alternate between the two and only use them once or twice a week collectively. I think if you really take care of your hair with oil treatments, deep conditioners, and sulfate-free products, you can still use these products and have healthy hair. I've been using it for several months now without issue.

I would most likely purchase Go Blonder again, but the price is the one thing that might cause me to not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/9/2012 3:21:00 AM More reviews by silverkoala

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am also a dark blonde (lighter during spring/summer) and I thought this spray would give me a nice color in between salon touch-ups. What a mistake! I should have read this reviews before.

Let me say, I have dyed my hair in many different ways, gone fully blond, blonder, brunette, and back to all highlights. My hair is very resistant and although peroxide does some damage, after a few conditioning treatments it looks ok.

I applied this in my lower layers of hair just to test it. Hmmm after a few weeks, hair was REALLY dry and barely any change. I should have stopped there! No, I had to try a bit more spray/heat OMG my hair kind of shrank with the texture of a loofah

Also, i will mention that I know how to apply these things. I used to be a junior stylist during my college years and I mostly did color. The formula does a LOT of damage for the results (if any)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2012 12:52:00 PM More reviews by beautyaddict96

Whoa. Let me just say that my hair has not fallen out/been irreparably damaged/taken on a gum like texture etc.
I bought this because I have dirty blonde hair and I want much lighter blonde hair (to go with my extremely pale skin) but my mom won't let me dye my hair. I found this and since I was already flat ironing my hair every day (at the time) I thought I would just add this to my styling products to get lighter hair.
I used this along with a heat protectant and an anti frizz cream, let my hair dry, sprayed a bit more of this on, and then I would straighten my hair. I sprayed it all throughout my hair (even though the bottle advises not to) and I did not experience any strange side effects. Within a week I noticed some subtle lightening, and within 3 weeks, my hair was much lighter.
I never achieved the extremely light blonde hair I desired, but I came pretty close. I finished a whole bottle, but I'm a little scared to buy another after reading the other reviews. It has worked well for the past few months, but I don't want my hair falling out!
All in all, it was a great product, but I'm going to stop using it because I'm scared that my hair might become damaged. Hair health > hair color.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/30/2012 12:58:00 AM More reviews by AtlasShrugged

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm in the process of shopping for a wig or hair piece to wear to my wedding because I don't want to walk down the aisle with the bald spot and broken hair that this horrific product has caused. Oh, how I wish I had been aware of these reviews before I used this spray. If all it had done was dry my hair out or cause an unflattering color I would have tossed it in the bin and moved on, but unfortunately it caused damage that will take YEARS to undo. All the hair on the top of my head where I used the spray has broken off about a quarter of an inch from the root. I experienced alarming hair loss to the extent that we had to put in a filter on the shower because it was clogging the drain. There is a very noticeable bald patch at the very front of my hair. The roots are so flimsy now, and all the affected hair feels sticky like I poured glue on top of my head. I should note that I was only using this spray a couple of times a week, and was using a deep conditioner plus a weekly conditioning hair mask. This damage didn't occur due to a lack of care for my hair or because of any other product. My doctor confirmed that the John Frieda Go Blonder spray is the culprit. Unfortunately, when you stop using the product the problem doesn't just resolve itself because it destroys your hair. It's completely beyond repair. About 12 inches worth of hair broke off, and new hair isn't growing back in. Also, the new hair that is growing in is gray whereas on the rest of my head it's still growing in blonde. This is due to the trauma and build up of hydrogen peroxide. I've spent a small fortune in other products to try to repair the damage, but really only time is going to do it. In the meantime, I absolutely cannot color my hair again, I have to spend extra time every morning trying to do a comb-over effect to cover up the bald spot, and if it's at all windy out I must wear a hat or deal with hair that stands straight up.

I've spoken with John Frieda about this and written them a letter. Basically all they really did was offer me a coupon for a new product of theirs after submitting an extensive medical survey. The customer service representative I spoke with said she and others who work at John Frieda / KAO (parent company) are trying to push for more warnings to be put on the box for consumers. Right now the information on the box and the website is completely inadequate.

I would absolutely avoid this product. Yes, the first few times you use it you might be wowed and think it's awesome, but once your hair breaks out and you've got a bald spot you'll regret using it. This product is especially damaging for people with finer, more porous hair.

I'm new to this site, but I'm going to try to figure out how to add pictures.

14 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No