July 31, 2014 | 2015 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 1 of 5 on 1/12/2013 7:41:00 PM More reviews by Eneliisa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Hello! My first review:) But I just want to worn everybody because this product should have a warning on it. Yes, it lightens hair, I managed not to touch up my roots in salon about 4 months, I only used this product and it worked and I was happy. But now, almost a year later I still suffer from damages, my hair just breakes close to the roots and they are yellow on spots where the damage hasn't grown out or breaked. I will never ever use this product again, thankfully I didn't use this all over my head, only on top of it, where I now have quite short hair.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2012 10:55:00 PM More reviews by jatkins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This stuff works, but maybe a little too well. I'll explain- it lightened my hair to really pretty sun bleached look. But one application too many can lead to a very unnatural look. If that's what you are looking for, use this. Also, this will bleach your rugs or carpet just as fast if not faster than your hair. My carpet has bleach spots next to the tile that leads to my bathroom. I can't attribute it to anything I have used recently except this stuff. So- make sure you don't drip.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/11/2012 2:04:00 PM More reviews by ccheellsseeaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

DONT USE THIS PRODUCT! Im naturally an dirty blonde and I loved the color this spray gave me but the other reviews are right!! After a few uses my hair was DESTROYED. I have never seen my hair like this and I have been coloring my hair at home for years. I began drastically losing my hair in knots. I still have a huge spot in the back of my hair (Thank GOD It is an easy cover up) where my hair has completely broken off and is not even an inch long now (My hair is down to my boobs!). Its been 2 months since I used this product and i am STILL trying to get my hair back to normal (Joico K-Pak is the best choice if you have already damaged your hair with this... pricy but well worth it... Fixes the damage, but you cant fix how thin and short my hair has become). The long term effects are horrific, this product shouldn't even be on the market... SO upset that I refuse to touch anything John Frieda again. STAY AWAY!!!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by AlwaysClassy33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Anyone who has written a positive review on this product hasn't used it for a long enough period. I have natural blonde hair, and I purchased this to lighten it up a bit more and to make my highlights stand out. I notice a difference after about two uses. I didn't use it again for another couple weeks, and after what would be the forth use I noticed that my hair was starting to become gummy and straw-like. I immediately discontinued usage, but the damage was already done. My hair fell out in clumps and broke at the slightest touch. I had been growing my bangs out, and they were down to my chin. Now I have a huge section in the front that barely grazes my eyebrows. I've never been a fan of blunt cut bangs, and from the damage that's what I was left with. I'm embarrassed to leave my house with my hair looking like this. I went to my hair dresser to see what we could do, and I actually got my hair dyed brown in order to try to hide all the damage. It's terrible. There are so many different layers in my bangs and it just looks awful. I will NEVER use a product like this again. I'd rather overpay at a salon than to have my hair be this damaged ever again. I've uploaded several pictures so you all can see the extent of the damage. Yes, I know my hair is brown in the pictures--that's NOT my natural color. As I mentioned, I had it dyed to hide more damage, so don't accuse me of using the product when I shouldn't have.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/27/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by Christy76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is just a warning..... This product is more for natural blondes.It will stripe yr color,so don't buy it! I do hair & I warn people,so they won't me up their hair.Becareful if u just colored yr hair & think this will make it better,NOT!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/20/2012 11:26:00 PM More reviews by bink180

I just recently had my hair bleached and thought this help brighten it a little bit.

It says it activates with heat and the more heat you use the faster the lightening results will be. It claims that is contains a thermo-protectant but I didn't beleive it. So I used heat-protecting spray just to see if it would affect in any way. Didn't work. So I waited a couple days and tried again without the heat protectant, it lightened the slightest slightest bit and it dried out my hair so bad.

I'm assuming it might just work better for natural blondes. but this just wasn't rocking my socks off. Taking it back.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/31/2012 2:22:00 AM More reviews by vivi1988

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have naturally light blonde hair. But I get it highlighted a few shades lighter ever 5 weeks. As I am saving up for go overseas I thought I would cheat and use this product to plug my roots to buy me a couple more weeks before I spend $200 for my next highlights. I read some reviews on the John Frieda site and they assured me of its 'miracle formula'

I used this product 4-5 times on my roots per directed on towel dried hair, and used a blowdryer and hair straightener. It made a fast impact and I was thrilled with the small changes I could see. But within two weeks my hair TURNED ORANGE. Quite suddenly really. As in, carrot juice orange. I look like Ron Weasley's forgotten sister. Except that it's just my roots. And not the sexy Christina Hendricks red, it's more of a Carrotop kinda shade. You can imagine how thrilled my boyfriend is.

So my hair now looks completely mutant. I pumped some dry shampoo on it to tone down the drama of bright orange roots, but it was so ridiculous that when I talked to people at work their eyes kept flicking up to my ridiculous hair. SO I went and got some violet shampoo (also John Frieda) which left my roots a yellowish/bile looking shade, and the rest of my hair a greyish look. Sexy!

Would I recommend it? No. Unless your boyfriend has a Mrs Ronald McDonald fetish, and loves the smell of vinegar smelling hair, I would most definitely not recommend this product for women with naturally light/ashy blonde hair.

*sad face*

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2012 4:43:00 PM More reviews by kinkilica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My once beautiful hair is falling out massively, for 2 months now, after I've been using this product for almost a year. something I've learned-if it seems too good to be true it usually is.... Strands that are falling out have white colored roots, because of the accumulation of Hydrogen Peroxide in my scalp. I have no idea what to do, doctors advise to try and condition my hair and use essential oils on the scalp but nothing is helping so far.... I've lost so much hair and am constantly depressed because of it. Don't risk it!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2012 1:59:00 AM More reviews by Kaseyjb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this product for over a year, now. I am naturally a dirty blonde to light brown color, but I have been dying my hair for many, many years. As most, I hate having to spend tons of money to get my roots touched up at the salon. Obviously your hair dresser is going to recommend you to stop using this product in order for them to get more business from you. Honestly, after having my hair dyed blonde for many years, my hair was getting much, MUCH thinner than it used to be. After I started using this, I haven't had to go to a salon for anything but a bang cut. My hair is MUCH healthier feeling, has grown much faster than when I used to have it dyed, and just, in general, my hair doesn't fall out as easily as when I had it dyed at the salon. I am SO pleased with this product, and I don't agree with ANY of these negative reviews. Obviously if you naturally are darker than a light brown to a dirty blonde, you shouldn't even touch this product, in fact, leave your hair your dark color. I hope that John Frieda never, EVER discontinues this. I never want to go back to a salon to get my roots touched up again. I have repurchased this around 5 times=]
*Oh, and for goodness sake, make sure to read the directions and use it only on wet hair!

**You can look at my pictures on my profile to see my current hair color and how this product has worked on me

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2012 2:35:00 PM More reviews by immy123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have light brunette hair that I ombre using various lightening products. This is the best by far. I don't like using dyes and so this was perfect for me . Yes, it contains peroxide and is very damaging to your hair. Did I have an allergic reaction? No. Did my hair fall out? No. The ends went dry, which I solved by using a deep conditioning hair masque every couple of days combined with conditioner. To get best results, I washed my hair with Phil Smith Bombshell conditioner and shampoo, used Tresemme split remedy masque then towel dryed my hair then sprayed about 1/8 of the bottle onto the ends, and a few highlights in my hair to make it look more natural. I wouldn't advise using GHD's, blow dryers etc. as this is even more damaging and hair becomes very weak. Within 3 uses of this, my hair was much lighter. Do NOT use if you have black hair unless you're going for the ginger look. i also advise using Lush marilyn hair mask as this brightens highlights for a more vibrant look. This bottle lasts for just over 9 days, assuming you use it everyday.