September 20, 2014 | 1600 users online

Concealers - L.A. Girl - Pro conceal HD concealer

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2013 11:51:00 AM More reviews by b_jones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am so in love with this concealer! I was and still am a big fan of the laura Geller real deal concealer, but this LA girl is just as great and the price is phenomenal! I purchased them from a website called the beauty joint .com they cost $2.50 there and they were $2.07 for shipping which is a great deal. I found a beauty supply in the Chicagoland suburbs and they were $2.00 there (totally a great deal). This concealer is long lasting and does not crease! My color is medium beige (NC43) for reference and it is a perfect match! Ladies take a chance on this it does not disappoint & if you don't like it you're only out 2 bucks which is not much to lose!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2013 1:08:00 PM More reviews by faija

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love love love love love this stuff! I got Beautiful Bronze which is almost equal to NW45 but it's not as orange as my NW45. As I'm getting older, I'm getting horrible dark circles around my eyes and it's to the point where I hate going out without concealer. I don't like super thick concealers but I need that kind of coverage. This one is perfect. It's thick but not too thick and the coverage is amazing! I do have to be careful because a lot tends to come out, but that's minor. I'd been on a MAC kick and while they are great for certain things, their foundation and concealers are never a perfect match for me. LA Girl reminds me that great products can also be inexpensive in cost.

Update: I'm still using the same tube. I've had no problems with it separating or turning watery. It still works great. Since I only use it under my eyes, I'm just now starting to run out. The price has gone up since it first came out so that tells you how well this product is doing.

Update: I've ordered Chestnut and I really can't see the difference between it and BB. I've also ordered Fawn, Toffee and Toast. I use Fawn and Toffee under Toast or BB. The only weird thing is that Fawn, Toffee and Toast seem dryer than the BB and Chestnut. I like consistency when buying products and it doesn't seem like I can get that when buying these.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2013 8:44:00 PM More reviews by confooseddesi608

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I highly recommend this product!

This is going to be a long review, so skip down to the end to "Pros" and "Cons" to get the summary.

Cost: The retail price is $2.50 USD for 0.25 oz (8 g), which, if you've bought concealer before, is very cheap!

Availability: This is one downside to the product--it can be very difficult to find. I was lucky enough to find it in my (small) local discount cosmetics store for $2 each (unfortunately, they didn't have my shade, so I had to buy it online)! Shade matching is quite difficult online--also, shipping charges! (About shade selection, I have attempted to help out by posting the photos on this page of some of the shades swatched in comparison to other shades.) The most cost-effective method to purchasing this product, I have found (at the time of this review), is through eBay from BeautyJoint (note: I am not affiliated in any way, I promise! But this is how I purchased my L.A. Girls concealer.) They combine shipping, so it ends up being cheaper than CherryCulture unless you purchase more than eight of the concealers. Here is a comparison to CC, which charges $5.95 per shipment (FLAT RATE): If you get up to 8 L.A. concealers from BeautyJoint, you pay shipping of around 5.95. But with each subtracted item, you pay less shipping. For example, buying one of the concealers from this eBay seller, you pay $1.95 for shipping; buying two, you pay $2.29 shipping, three, $2.63 shipping. So unless you get eight or more concealers, it is more economical to purchase (one to seven) concealers from this eBay seller, than CC, which charges $5.95 flat per shipment (under forty dollars). I would suggest buying three or four shades, because I ended up being a lighter shade than I thought I would--I bought four and liked the lightest (for undereyes); though I wasted around $10.50, I know my shade now, AND for a single concealer, I have paid much, much more in the past.

Packaging: Squeeze tube with screw-on cap. Not very pretty, but functional. I like squeeze tubes for liquid concealers the best, because it is easiest to get the last bit of product out OR mix different colors together in a separate pot. One of the issues is the stupid brush attached to the end of the squeeze tube. It seems like it wastes product, and it's not very sanitary. However, the brush is removable--I firmly grip the brush with my teeth and pull. That leaves only the tube opening--a little bigger of a hole than needed (with the brush gone), so careful not to squeeze too much product out.

Texture: This has a liquid-cream consistency which is easily blended out with a concealer brush. I would only recommend using your fingers to blend if you want light coverage; using a concealer brush ensures you can build it to heavier coverage. It seems to blend in seamlessly with my skin (I use it primarily for under eye circles, which are dark purple). It dries to a semi-matte finish, perfect in my opinion.

Coverage: This provides light-to-moderate coverage, depending on how you apply it (brush or finger) and how much you build it up. This doesn't offer anything spectacular in terms of coverage, but for a concealer this economical, the coverage is DEFINITELY superior. I would call this moderate coverage; if you liked, you could build it up to slightly heavier coverage.

Endurance: This performs very well in terms of endurance--it DOES settle into my fine lines a bit, but let me be clear: I have NEVER, EVER found a concealer with adequate coverage that has NOT settled into my lines. This has settled less so than any other concealer I have tried. If it didn't settle into my lines at all, I'd wonder if it was some kind of crazy, awesome dream, or something. It also oxidizes just a tad and can feel somewhat drying under the eyes. I try to put the faintest sweep of setting powder over it, so as not to exacerbate the dryness. Even with powder, it seems to fade a bit after a couple of hours, so reapplication is necessary.

Ingredient Safety: I also have posted the ingredients, which I could not find ANYWHERE online. If you look at the ingredients, you will see there are five different parabens!

Shades: There are eighteen shades, from Classic Ivory to Dark Cocoa. They offer so many shades for "Women of Color," and that makes me love this concealer (and the brand) that much more. It is normally IMPOSSIBLE to find a decent shade match in concealer when you are darker than Jennifer Lopez. I am NC40-42 and like to use 40ish shades under my eyes. I use Cool Tan, but it's a tad pinkish/dark for me. I mix it with some Medium Beige, which is lighter and yellower than the Cool Tan. I've also posted some photos here of the shades swatched.

L.A. Girl's product description:
Crease-resistant, opaque coverage in a creamy yet light weight texture. The long-wearing formula camouflages darkness under the eyes, redness and skin imperfections. Provides complete, natural-looking coverage, evens skin tone, covers dark circles and minimizes fine lines around the eyes.

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Cyclopentasiloxane, Beeswax (Cera Alba) Stearyl Dimethicone, Isododecane, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina), Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Glyceryl Laurate, Polyglyceryl-4 Oleate, Mica, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Propylene Glycol, Chamomilla Recutita Extract, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Hyaluronate, MAY CONTAIN: Iron Oxides, (CT 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).

PROS AND CONS

Pros:

EXTREMELY affordable!
Great range of shades
Good squeeze-tube packaging
Moderate coverage
Settles much less into lines
Semi-matte finish

Cons:

Difficult to match shade
Difficult to find
Settles into lines & oxidizes a bit
A bit drying

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2013 5:43:00 PM More reviews by FauxChic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This concealer ticks every box that I look for, it provides decent coverage, lasting power is excellent, super inexpensive and has a wide variation of colours which is amazing. Looking at many raved reviews about this concealer on YouTube, I had to jump on the bandwagon. Unfortunately, living in the UK hasn't given me easy access to purchase this however I bought two colours Cool Tan and Fawn on Beautyjoint.com, and couldn't be any happier. I'd say Cool Tan is like an NC42/NW35 and Fawn around an NC45 shade. As Fawn is relatively a similar tone to my skin, I don't use this to highlight my face, more so to conceal blemishes. I use Cool Tan as a highlight and it stays put all day, for a mere $2.50, I really can't complain however at times the concealer does tend to separate, sometimes I squeeze some product to find some water on the brush applicator - no bueno, but once again - an amazing find, very similar to MAC Pro Longwear which I still lovee but just way cheaper, I do recommend!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2013 10:18:00 AM More reviews by raggie92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this off Cherry culture because they carry more shades but it's hard to choose the shades. I bought 2, natural and medium beige. Both colors are not an exact match to my NC35 skintone. Medium beige is darker than my skintone and natural is the 2nd lightest shade they offer. I mix both to get the ideal shade.

I love how creamy and opaque this concealer is. I really don't need a lot to cover my undereye circles and blemishes. The price itself is a steal because it's very comparable to my HG concealer, MAC Pro Longwear concealer. Consistency is thinner than MAC PLW concealer, and very comfortable to wear. It blends like a dream and wears for quite long.

The only major turn off about it is the packaging. If it came in a squeeze tube without the brush, I would love this concealer even more. However, if I were to compare packaging with MAC Pro Longwear, this wins hands down. And I have to shake really well in the first few squeezes because of the water instead.

Definitely repurchasing because it's just the most amazing concealer money can get you. It's extremely affordable and comparable to MAC Pro Longwear which costs like 30 SGD.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2013 10:29:00 PM More reviews by seahorse61

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am truly impress with that $3.00 product purchased on Ebay.
Thank's to MA for making me discover it.

I am a NW20 in MAC & I purchased the colour Classic Ivory .
I have a normal to dry / mature skin.

The product is creamy/hydrating & spreads very well. I don't have dark circles under my eyes so I can't tell if it would cover them, but it works wonder for illuminating. I applied with a brush at first, then tapped the product in with my fingertips.

I used the LA girl concealer under one eye and used MAC Prep+prime Highlighert colour Radiant Rose under the other eye.

LA Girl concealer covered better and was creamier, it did crease a bit, but so did the MAC. I do wear Nivea Q10 eye contour cream under my foundation, I know that it doesn't help with the creasing, but long term it helps with preventing wrinkles.

After a 9 hrs day the LA Girl was still covering and looking exactly the same as when I applied it. The MAC had disappeared/melted into my skin and had no highlight effect left.

So for the price... I will re-order and stuck up on LA Girl Pro. conceal High Definition concealer!

I also tried Cover Girl and Olay Aimply ageless concealer in colour 205, it dried out and separated and looked very powdery after only a few hours. It wasn't hydrating enough for me.

I also tried Maybelline Dream Lumi touch highlighting concealer in colour Radiant, it dried my skin so much that it became itchy and pulled my skin, I couldn't keep it on my face.

Hope it will help you choosing the right illuminating concealer for you.
I know that I now don't buy any make up without consulting MA.

PS: All the concealers colours in every brand were a good match for my skin.

Peace, love and ceativity : )

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2013 4:55:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My personal obsession and reading the positive reviews on this concealer enticed me into buying it. Sadly not a product I could locate in Canada, but thankfully able to purchase it on eBay for under $5. For my fair complexion (MAC NC15) I bought the lightest shade available, classic ivory, which works well with my complexion. The packaging is the good old tube with the unhygienic and scratchy bristles. Immediately before using I sniped those annoying bristles off, seriously don't comprehend why make-up companies need to include them. The shade itself is a pale ivory with a salmon-pink undertone which does a great job of neutralizing and brightening the under eye area for me. The texture is quite thick, pigmentation in good and delivers around medium coverage with a slight satin sheen. A few deal breakers for me to love this concealer and be able to repurchase are the finish and constant creasing. This product is very tacky to the touch and never sets. Applying even the smallest amount of any powder to set it turns this concealer into a gooey cakey mess instantly. If I choose not to set this concealer to avoid that issue then all day long this product migrates into fine lines and creases horribly. Overall not a product that meets my needs and will go into my disappointed concealer collection.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2012 12:50:00 AM More reviews by reksiandari

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have to agree with other reviewers that this concealer does not cover under eye circles very well, BUT it makes them so, so less noticeable. I have really dark circles that shows through my tan skin, they make me look like a tan zombie.

Bought this in Pure Beige. I wore this for 13 hours (with so much sweat and oil going on my face), and I can still see that my under eye area is still bright! So for the price, this is VERY good. I use it everyday.

I will buy this again just because this does a decent job at brightening dark circles and comes quite cheap.

I tried to conceal my red acne scars, and this does not cover them well (or did I not use it enough?).

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2012 11:55:00 AM More reviews by uwauwa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Please can I get this concealer in the United Kingdom,because I have been seeing good reviews about the concealer

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2012 7:51:00 AM More reviews by midfallgrace

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

after reading reviews on this concealer i ordered it from ebay in 'classic ivory'. i'm pretty pale, i have severe undereye bags and blue-purple circles. i use it after bourjois healthy mix serum foundation. it doesn't conceal blue circles, it only makes them look less obvious. my face definitely looks more fresh with this concealer. the brush is super useful. i just wish the concealer was a bit thicker, maybe it would conceal my circles better. anyway i'll buy iy again!