August 27, 2014 | 1792 users online

Pressed Powders - Physicians Formula - Happy Booster Glow & Mood Boosting Powder in Translucent

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2011 7:26:00 PM More reviews by kim080464

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is everything I wanted MACs perfect topping to be. I sawglowing reviews on perfect topping. I got it home, put it on and looked like a glitter bomb exploded all over my face and then said "oh yeah, we also decided to accentuate every single pore you have". not the look I was going for.

However, happy booster translucent is perfect. Just beautiful. not sure why some reviewers are saying there is glitter in this. definitely not glitter but there is a sheen/shimmer but not overly so. Most perfect highlight! Love it!

Wish it were a smidge cheaper. Honestly I don't care about the happy boosting ingredients. The compact and hearts plus the end result of the product on my face is enough to make me happy. A few dollars off would make me even more happy! I will definitely be checking out other PF products.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2011 4:11:00 PM More reviews by ChrissyTX

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I like to use this on an easy m/u day when I'm not using bronzer. I find that if I used this in conjuction with a bronzer or blush its too much sparkle. My compact stopped smelling after a few days, which is ok with me as I'm not a fan of super-scented products. I use a flat kabuki brush for application and it works great. Be careful getting the compact out of the cardboard packaging, I almost broke it getting out!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2011 5:23:00 PM More reviews by melbop

This product is okay. I will occasionally use it has a highlighter (although I wouldn't say it's a great highlighter) but not ever again use it all over my face. There is a ton of glitter. I'm okay with a bit of glitter and shimmy and I'll use this a bit on my cheeks but all over the face it looks awful! It seriously looks like I dipped my whole face in a puddle of glitter with even the lightest application on the face

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2011 1:29:00 PM More reviews by Heather81170

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

Sorry to break the 100% repurchase score, but somebody had to at some point. Considering the impossibility of having a product that can please every single person, & occasional "duds" making it into the market, it was just a matter of time.

All 3 of my Happy Booster products, had the compact label glued so tightly to the inside of the cardboard packaging, that it ripped the label off the compact, and destroyed any ability to read and use it, in order to have the color name and product size on the compact. Without the label, there is a gray plastic under-layer showing through a hole in the shiny pink plastic, creating a sharp jagged edge on which I cut my thumb (while she didn't get cut, I recently found a beauty blogger whose label also got ripped off by the too-strong packaging glue, exposing the sharp jagged plastic edge underneath).

While I do like the embossed heart design, it was apparently pressed too hard on mine, making the product too firmly compressed to be able to be picked up with even the rough brush that it comes with, forcing me to have to scrape the clear frost off with a toothbrush to be able to put some on a soft dry brush, which destroys the embossed hearts, and defeats the purpose of the product being pressed and embossed to begin with. The only way that I can pick up product with a brush is with a small wet stiff flat filbert brush (and I still have to scrub to pick any up, even with a *wet* brush), which when applied, looks like foiled sheer frost eyeshadow. I've been asking makeup artists if they know of any kind of specific substance or chemical compound that I could spray on it that will, not really puff it up, but make it less compressed so that the products could actually be picked up with a soft dry brush without it having to be scraped, but haven't found an answer yet.

I was actually afraid that the "Translucent Face Powder" might be too dark for me, considering that in recent years, there just seems to be more and more dark warm-toned pigments being added to the so-called "translucent" pressed powders, so that even the PF Mineral Wear "Translucent" powder is too dark warm yellow/orange/beige and makes my porcelain pink skin look jaundiced, or like I made a bad attempt at fake tan. I used to rely on PF for fair-colored, cool-to-neutral-toned face products, but the last PF pressed face powder that wasn't too dark for me, was the discontinued Retro Glow Illuminating Powder in "Beige," which was (and is, in the small amount I still have in my makeup collection) actually an ultra-pale slightly-cool/mostly-neutral pinkish-ivory, and actually did have a subtle illuminating quality without looking shimmery or frosty, so I know PF *does* know how to accomplish this, but they seem to have failed in their attempt to do so with these HB products, at least with mine. I figured with the PFHB powder, I could just use my brush on the pink and off-white hearts, and try to avoid the brown ones, so I was very surprised to not find any pink or white (or brown) pigmentation when I first scraped the surface, as well as the lack of an actual translucent powder consistency; just clear frost. After scraping through 1-2mm of hard clear mica, I finally did reach some pale pigments, which would have been fine for my coloring, except they themselves are mixed with tons of frost, and are still too hard to pick up with a soft dry brush without scraping with a toothbrush first.

Since a "translucent face powder" is supposed to be an all-over setting powder, it seemed that this was actually a mis-labeled frost highlighter that was not meant for average adults to apply as an all-over face powder without giving the whole face a theatrical frosty look (I'm talking seriously obvious disco-ball frost and shimmer, certainly not the "subtle glow" I've seen mentioned several times). Sheer frost does not equal the "Radiant Blushing Glow" printed on the package, and reading back over reports of "subtle glow" or "iridescence" does start to make me wonder if I just have different definitions of shimmer, subtle, glow, illuminate, and frost, than everyone else does; but given that PF did once have an "illuminating" powder that wasn't frosty or shimmery, I doubt that is the case. Unless I was in theatre, I'm a little old to feel comfortable having my whole face look like it was dipped into sheer mica frost, and certainly would not expect a "Translucent Face Powder" to have that effect, especially one that does not even have mica listed as *a* main ingredient. When it has this much over-pressed clear mica, then mica should be listed as *the* first main ingredient.

I would love to just chalk it up to me getting a dud, but both my PFHB blushes also have the same issues with being over-pressed, over-frosted, & unpigmented, and I would have to be a big Murphy's law victim to get 3 duds from 2 different merchants. The only explanation I have been able to think of is that mine all came from a second production run that was needed to meet the high demand created by the all positive reviews, but did not match the quality of the first production run. I don't know if this is the case, I have just been trying to hypothesize why my PFHB products do not remotely match anyone else's reviews.

I had been looking to purchase these products since they were released, but they were never available in local stores or for online purchase until last month, and I am disappointed that I wasted so much time, money, and energy trying to track them down, only to have them be nearly useless as actual cosmetics once I got them, so rather than "boosting my happy," they tend to make me irritated. I am glad this product does work for most of you, I just hope my review lets anyone else who has run into any of these problems with their PFHB products, after being so hyped-up online, know that they are not alone in being disappointed in a product that everyone else seems to love.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2011 2:57:00 PM More reviews by susanwylie67

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm not sure this boosted my mood in any really noticable way, though the powder is adorable:) BUT, I am always looking for a way to get that J.LO glow without looking too greasy, white, or glittery, and this does a pretty good job. I bought the one with the little pink heart, and light to medium tan hearts...I might try a darker one for summer. I think this may be a good dupe for the Too Faced leopard powders.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2011 12:04:00 PM More reviews by aperfectsonnet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought the translucent color in this blush, because every time I seem to purchase a product from PF it is too dark for me. I am very pleased with this blush! It does look gimmicky, but I love the way it looks over my MAC Matte Blush in Melba. It gives me a great glow, and I think it would look great alone, too. It does smell lovely, and as for the "Mood Boosting" formula, I don't buy it. But the product itself is wonderful.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2011 2:05:00 PM More reviews by princess101

Great powder for highlighting, but also works when blended with powder foundation for that "luminous" look. I will sometimes use this across the tops of my cheekbones after contouring, and it brings a brightness to the area, without any over-the-top glitter. Or I will swirl a brush into this, and then into my loose powder foundation and buff them onto my skin.

Packaging is cute but not practical as it is extremely bulky, I don't plan on carrying this around anyhow, so not a big deal. The scent is gorgeous and overall, a good buy. I would recommend waiting for a sale to purchase this as it is on the higher end of the spectrum for drugstore makeup.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2011 3:47:00 PM More reviews by Ms_Stressa

Bought this on a splurge and ended up really liking it -- the case is cute (although, as always, w/PF the brush is useless), the highlight/shimmer of this is very natural and flattering, and the little hearts pattern on it is adorable. I think the idea of "happiness extract" or whatever the claims are for this are ridiculous, but the cute packaging and product do make me smile, and for $12 that's enough happiness boosting for me. If you have large pores this may be a highlighter that you can actually enjoy using. So - heck yeah, I'm happy! If these stay on sale, I may spring for the blushes. I'm pretty sure this is a limited edition thing, but if it's still available when I run out, I'd purchase it again.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2011 12:44:00 PM More reviews by lola88

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a good dupe (not 100%) for MAC's Perfect Topping MSF. This is a little lighter than Perfect Topping. It was $8 on sale at CVS. It's a great highlighter that is not too shimmery.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2011 1:12:00 AM More reviews by kiwibop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was worried that I wouldn't get much use out of this product because I thought it would be too glittery and make me appear too shiny. This product provides a nice subtle glow that looks really pretty actually. The product is very cute and the scent isn't too strong, which I like.