Physicians Formula Happy Booster Glow & Mood Boosting Powder in Translucent

TALC. ZEA MAYS (CORN) STARCH. DIMETHICONE. OCTYLDODECYL STEAROYL STEARATE. PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRAISOSTEARATE. ASTROCARYUM MURUMURU SEED BUTTER. HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL. LECITHIN. PHYTOSTERYL CANOLATE. PLUKENETIA VOLUBILIS SEED OIL. RHODIOLA ROSEA ROOT EXTRACT. ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF EXTRACT. THEOBROMA GRANDIFLORUM SEED BUTTER. SCHINUS TEREBINTHIFOLIUS SEED EXTRACT. PALM ALCOHOL. PHENOXYETHANOL. POTASSIUM SORBATE. FRAGRANCE. MAY CONTAIN: CARMINE. IRON OXIDES. MANGANESE VIOLET. MICA. RED 6. RED 7 LAKE. RED 28 LAKE. RED 30 LAKE. TITANIUM DIOXIDE. ULTRAMARINES. YELLOW 5 LAKE.

on 4/19/2011 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

**POWDER IN TRANSLUCENT.**
I wanted to like this but sadly, I just can't. I wanted to get myself one after I saw a few reviews on youtube and the packaging really appealed to me so while I was picking up a few things from Rite Aid, I got this too. I had some really high expctations of this and at first glance, this looked like the perfect highlight with enough shimmers. I swatched it with a finger and it was a very light, pale pink which I didn't mind but the bad part was the fact that the shimmers weren't really shimmers. They were more like sparkles. I put a bit on my cheeks and in the sunlight, I spotted huge sparkles. It wasn't even glowy, it was just sparkley.
I swatched again a few moments before and my claim still sticks.
I also paid a whooping 14 dollars for this, which I find ridiculous for a drugstore makeup product.
I would NEVER buy this again.

on 4/12/2011 4:28:00 AM

I put off buying this for a long time but I finally bought it, and I'm so glad that I did! I was a little wary because it looks like it'll be a glitterbomb on your face, but it's so subtle, even when used as an all-over face powder... really gorgeous. I usually matte myself into oblivion every day, so that's high praise coming from me. Definitely a good look for summer. The smell of this is amazing and while I doubt the claims of any inherent mood-boosting properties, looking at and smelling this product every morning does put a smile on my face. The packaging is really well-designed, but the brush is (as others have mentioned) too stiff for the product and will scrape and ruin the pretty design. The only downside to this powder is the price - I spent 14. I think it was worth every penny, but it seems really exorbitant for drugstore makeup.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

Pros:
-I do feel happy wearing this. I'm not sure if it's truly from the powder or if it's just a placebo-type effect.
-pearl glow to my skin. It gives this pearly glow yet it's matte. Very obvious that it's your skin that looks great and not oily looking!

Cons:
-Color. I'm a pale olive skinned woman. I don't expect everything to be perfect but Physicians formula tends to screw this up all the time. They tend to thing that all women are stuck in this medium-shade zone at the lightest. In other words this is about 1-2 shades off (I apply it with a light hand too so without that it'd probably be about 3-4 shades off minimum).
-Random pink heart thrown in. Seriously? Why is there a pink in there? They make a blush separate from this! All the pink heart does is make this look more pink on me.

I tried depotting this to see if the pink heart was the problem with the pink in this. It was not. The entire compact is pink and thus I ended up throwing this away.

I do like this product as a highlighter for my face. I add some on my cheekbones after my blush and it makes me look more awake, and "glowy". I said I wouldnt buy it again because with the little amount that I use, it will last a very long time.

on 3/26/2011 3:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I absolutely despise any of PF liquid foundations, but have been having much success w/their powder highlighters, bronzers, etc. I love this. I love how you can swirl the pink heart to add a bit of a blushed look. Smells great, goes on smooth. I didn't use the brush it came with...I rarely ever use the brushes that are packaged w/the makeup i purchase. The only con is it was nearly $13 at Wally's!

this is a really cute product. it's definitely a very subtle highlighter on me-just gives a really nice glow, but nothing noticeable. the packaging is super cute, and i think it smells gorgeous. i don't use the stupid little brush, because it really digs into the powder and creates all this fall-out, but whatever. do i need this? definitely not. but i'm glad i bought it. i don't actually think it's that expensive, because in my experience PF powders last a really long time.

on 3/21/2011 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is everything I wanted MACs perfect topping to be. I sawglowing reviews on perfect topping. I got it home, put it on and looked like a glitter bomb exploded all over my face and then said "oh yeah, we also decided to accentuate every single pore you have". not the look I was going for.

However, happy booster translucent is perfect. Just beautiful. not sure why some reviewers are saying there is glitter in this. definitely not glitter but there is a sheen/shimmer but not overly so. Most perfect highlight! Love it!

Wish it were a smidge cheaper. Honestly I don't care about the happy boosting ingredients. The compact and hearts plus the end result of the product on my face is enough to make me happy. A few dollars off would make me even more happy! I will definitely be checking out other PF products.

on 3/19/2011 4:11:00 PM

I like to use this on an easy m/u day when I'm not using bronzer. I find that if I used this in conjuction with a bronzer or blush its too much sparkle. My compact stopped smelling after a few days, which is ok with me as I'm not a fan of super-scented products. I use a flat kabuki brush for application and it works great. Be careful getting the compact out of the cardboard packaging, I almost broke it getting out!

on 3/18/2011 5:23:00 PM

This product is okay. I will occasionally use it has a highlighter (although I wouldn't say it's a great highlighter) but not ever again use it all over my face. There is a ton of glitter. I'm okay with a bit of glitter and shimmy and I'll use this a bit on my cheeks but all over the face it looks awful! It seriously looks like I dipped my whole face in a puddle of glitter with even the lightest application on the face

on 3/15/2011 1:29:00 PM

Sorry to break the 100% repurchase score, but somebody had to at some point. Considering the impossibility of having a product that can please every single person, & occasional "duds" making it into the market, it was just a matter of time.

All 3 of my Happy Booster products, had the compact label glued so tightly to the inside of the cardboard packaging, that it ripped the label off the compact, and destroyed any ability to read and use it, in order to have the color name and product size on the compact. Without the label, there is a gray plastic under-layer showing through a hole in the shiny pink plastic, creating a sharp jagged edge on which I cut my thumb (while she didn't get cut, I recently found a beauty blogger whose label also got ripped off by the too-strong packaging glue, exposing the sharp jagged plastic edge underneath).

While I do like the embossed heart design, it was apparently pressed too hard on mine, making the product too firmly compressed to be able to be picked up with even the rough brush that it comes with, forcing me to have to scrape the clear frost off with a toothbrush to be able to put some on a soft dry brush, which destroys the embossed hearts, and defeats the purpose of the product being pressed and embossed to begin with. The only way that I can pick up product with a brush is with a small wet stiff flat filbert brush (and I still have to scrub to pick any up, even with a *wet* brush), which when applied, looks like foiled sheer frost eyeshadow. I've been asking makeup artists if they know of any kind of specific substance or chemical compound that I could spray on it that will, not really puff it up, but make it less compressed so that the products could actually be picked up with a soft dry brush without it having to be scraped, but haven't found an answer yet.

I was actually afraid that the "Translucent Face Powder" might be too dark for me, considering that in recent years, there just seems to be more and more dark warm-toned pigments being added to the so-called "translucent" pressed powders, so that even the PF Mineral Wear "Translucent" powder is too dark warm yellow/orange/beige and makes my porcelain pink skin look jaundiced, or like I made a bad attempt at fake tan. I used to rely on PF for fair-colored, cool-to-neutral-toned face products, but the last PF pressed face powder that wasn't too dark for me, was the discontinued Retro Glow Illuminating Powder in "Beige," which was (and is, in the small amount I still have in my makeup collection) actually an ultra-pale slightly-cool/mostly-neutral pinkish-ivory, and actually did have a subtle illuminating quality without looking shimmery or frosty, so I know PF *does* know how to accomplish this, but they seem to have failed in their attempt to do so with these HB products, at least with mine. I figured with the PFHB powder, I could just use my brush on the pink and off-white hearts, and try to avoid the brown ones, so I was very surprised to not find any pink or white (or brown) pigmentation when I first scraped the surface, as well as the lack of an actual translucent powder consistency; just clear frost. After scraping through 1-2mm of hard clear mica, I finally did reach some pale pigments, which would have been fine for my coloring, except they themselves are mixed with tons of frost, and are still too hard to pick up with a soft dry brush without scraping with a toothbrush first.

Since a "translucent face powder" is supposed to be an all-over setting powder, it seemed that this was actually a mis-labeled frost highlighter that was not meant for average adults to apply as an all-over face powder without giving the whole face a theatrical frosty look (I'm talking seriously obvious disco-ball frost and shimmer, certainly not the "subtle glow" I've seen mentioned several times). Sheer frost does not equal the "Radiant Blushing Glow" printed on the package, and reading back over reports of "subtle glow" or "iridescence" does start to make me wonder if I just have different definitions of shimmer, subtle, glow, illuminate, and frost, than everyone else does; but given that PF did once have an "illuminating" powder that wasn't frosty or shimmery, I doubt that is the case. Unless I was in theatre, I'm a little old to feel comfortable having my whole face look like it was dipped into sheer mica frost, and certainly would not expect a "Translucent Face Powder" to have that effect, especially one that does not even have mica listed as *a* main ingredient. When it has this much over-pressed clear mica, then mica should be listed as *the* first main ingredient.

I would love to just chalk it up to me getting a dud, but both my PFHB blushes also have the same issues with being over-pressed, over-frosted, & unpigmented, and I would have to be a big Murphy's law victim to get 3 duds from 2 different merchants. The only explanation I have been able to think of is that mine all came from a second production run that was needed to meet the high demand created by the all positive reviews, but did not match the quality of the first production run. I don't know if this is the case, I have just been trying to hypothesize why my PFHB products do not remotely match anyone else's reviews.

I had been looking to purchase these products since they were released, but they were never available in local stores or for online purchase until last month, and I am disappointed that I wasted so much time, money, and energy trying to track them down, only to have them be nearly useless as actual cosmetics once I got them, so rather than "boosting my happy," they tend to make me irritated. I am glad this product does work for most of you, I just hope my review lets anyone else who has run into any of these problems with their PFHB products, after being so hyped-up online, know that they are not alone in being disappointed in a product that everyone else seems to love.