July 29, 2014 | 1943 users online

Crème - Neutrogena - Healthy Skin Compact Makeup SPF 55 Helioplex

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2011 10:18:00 PM More reviews by EmmmJay

I really wanted to love this but I cannot wait to take it back to CVS. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer tinted moisturizer (in the pump bottle) is my HG drugstore tinted moisturizer, so I had high hopes for this makeup. The fact that it has Helioplex and UVA /UVB protection was a major attraction.

First, the packaging. The plastic tape they use to seal it could be used by NASA, in my opinion. And maybe I'm a bonehead but the compact doesn't open like most--you have to flick it open, if that makes sense.

Next, the makeup. I got the lightest shade (I'm NW20 for reference) and it was way too light. Very ghostlike. That is probably my fault for misjudging, but to me the product goes on a lot lighter than it looks in the pan. The reason I'm giving this a rating of WORST is that it just sat on top of my skin, except for where it filled in my pores so I looked like I had white cream plugging them. It emphasized any dryness or flakes I had on my face too. Pretty much just strobed any flaws I have in the surface of my skin. Terrible stuff, alas. The $15 price tag is outrageous--I got it on sale at CVS and had a coupon and it was still $7, which is $7 too much in my opinion. I would not be surprised if they discontinue this eventually.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2011 10:02:00 AM More reviews by Philipmom02

I got this on a whim hoping to find a slightly more moisturizing product than my powder. This wasn't it. I have pretty normal skin with some oily tendencies. This actually gave me dry spots, which I've never seen before. It seems to me more like a sheer creme SPF with a little bit of tint rather than a good coverage foundation.

My skin feels very smooth and clean with it on as it absorbs really fast into my skin and it smooths a little bit of coloration on my cheeks. But within an hour it almost looks like its not there anymore. I've never had a foundation fade that fast off my face!

I really wanted to like this. But I think this is more made for a more oily skin since it did give me dry spots on my face. If you need a product with more SPF rather than a coverage this would prolly be ok short term. (going to the beach, outside activities etc) The compact was a good idea just the formulation was a fail to me. I liked the liquid healthy skin but it was just too messy for me. This doesn't give any kind of dewy effect that the liquid does, its more a natural matte. Hopefully they will improve on this product in the future.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/28/2011 3:46:00 PM More reviews by Bchow1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted this to work badly, but unfortunately, this foundation left me looking like I put lard on my face after only 2 hours. =( I liked the fact that it has a high spf to it and the finish was a natural dewy look but too bad its no good for oily skin. I bought this at Rite Aid (while I was visiting the US) for $13.99 and bought it in the shade Natural Beige (60) (around NC30-35 at the moment) but it was slightly too dark. I think 50 was a bit too pink and 40 may have been a touch too light.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2011 12:41:00 PM More reviews by jenjen86

This has pretty much everything I want in a foundation-decent coverage, natural finish, doesn't break me out, and high, broad-spectrum, stable SPF. The only downside is that is can look slightly streaky when applied with the applicator, but when I apply with my fingers it's perfect. Will buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2011 6:20:00 PM More reviews by equestrienneash

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using the Healthy Skin liquid makeup since November, and it's been working splendidly for me. However, liquid foundation can be quite a hassle when it comes to touch ups throughout the day, so I was very pleased when Neutrogena released this compact formula. The packaging seems very hygenic (the sponge and makeup are kept in seperate compartments, with tiny holes for ventilation on the sponge's side, with a large mirror between them) and makes for effortless touch ups. This formula boasts a truly impressive SPF (55! Full spectrum!) but doesn't seem sunscreen-y at all; in fact, the coverage feels very light and airy, even though it masks blotches perfectly. So far (I've been using it for approximately 2 weeks) I haven't had a trace of a breakout, in spite of some seemingly comodegenic ingredients (Beeswax is one of the first listed. Odd!). As long as my tempermental skin behaves, I'll trust this makeup's formula! My one complaint lies with the included sponge: It isn't very pliable (It reminds me of those tough, dry sponges used for rubbing deodorant marks off of dark clothes), feels a bit rough on the skin, and doesn't blend very well. For touch ups it suffices, but if I was doing my whole face with this makeup, I would definitely use a quality application sponge.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2011 2:01:00 AM More reviews by candiy1028

I don't really like this foundation. When I first rubbed the sponge in it, it looked grainy and applied it on my skin and it felt rough like there was glitter in it?? The coverage was light no matter how many layers I put on it looked like I had no coverage at all.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2011 11:29:00 PM More reviews by yelloats

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i just got this and this is just an initial review ill get back to it to update but man! i thought spf 55 would be the deal! but for some reason i wasnt expecting it to smell lik sunscreen but it does! its not sparkly lik sunscreen but it definitely leaves a sheen kinda dewy look. ithought it would be lik maybelline smooth mousse but its a lot thicker and a little dryer harder to blend. i had to set it b/c it was stickyish. mmm lol not loving it so far

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2011 9:55:00 AM More reviews by SugarFreeSheila

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Concept: Love the SPF 55 factor, and the fact that it offers both 3%avobenzone as well as Helioplex. Most makeup touting an SPF contains both lame sunscreen ingredients as well as lame percentages *of* those lame sunscreen ingredients.

Test 1 of SPF makeup: Both the ingredients and their percentages must be high enough to make an impact if you are depending on only a makeup product to protect you from the sun's harmful rays.
Test 2: The makeup must offer an SPF that's high enough to begin with.

Well, even though the active ingredients & high SPF of the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact SPF 55 passes Tests 1 & 2, here's the rub before one gets a false sense of security with makeup containing SPF. You need to consider first how much actual old-fashioned lotion/cream-based bottled sunscreen one must apply to yield the full benefits & SPF stated on the bottle: i.e., a quarter-teaspoon to the face alone. Some derms insist on more than this, but a quarter-teaspoon is a ton & will have to suffice for me. So, be honest here. If you're riding on the SPF in your face makeup & skipping sunscreen as a pre-step: are you really applying this much foundation or powder to your face alone to yield all its sun-protecting benefits?

Moral: don't depend on the SPF in your makeup. At most, this is something I would use if I were staying inside the house all day.

(P.S. on SPF application: another quarter-teaspoon to the neck, & a full shotglass on the body from the clavicle down is required for sufficient protection.)

Colorwise: The lightest shade of this compact almost worked for me, and was a trifle pink. NC15/NW15 are both almost always too dark for me, & L'Oreal True Match in W1 is a perfect match even though I dislike its shiny texture/finish. So that should offer a sense of my coloring.

Finish: I returned this product because it isn't something I can use if Retin-A & glycolic acid are apart of my skincare regime. Like physical-based sunscreens (which Avobenzone/Helioplex isn't!), this compact makeup with SPF just dried out & fries my face due to the Retin-A I use. So, of course the texture wasn't all that hot as a result. I will repurchase this summer when I take time off from the above actives & am just self-tanning to give this makeup a second chance. If the finish improves then, I will up the current 3-lippie rating.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2011 8:44:00 PM More reviews by gurululu

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like the structure and ease of the compact, the fact that it has good UVA/UVB ingredients, and its natural finish. However, this does tend to exacerbate oilies midday and definitely sits in pores. Even though it is a sheer finish, it doesn't really absorb into skin well enough to sit well under loose powder. I noticed that it laid on skin midday and looked patchy especially in oily places and my pregnant winter skin is fairly dry right now. I could see the it in the pores, but that could also be that the colors are not neutral enough. So this won't be an option for the warmer months when the spf & powder will really be necessary. I am returning it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2011 10:09:00 PM More reviews by Chickadee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

While I was in Walgreens last night, buying rock salt, I couldn't help but wander into the cosmetics department, and I happened to find this. I had been considering the Revlon Photo Ready compact foundation, but this one sold me on the SPF 55. It was pretty difficult to find my shade, but I ended up with # 40 I figured I could always return it if it wasn't a match. This isn't bad, I used the sponge to apply all over and my Sonia Kashuk multipurpose brush to apply closer to the eyes and to cover in spots. The texture wasn't chalky or anything, despite the high SPF. I set it with Coty Airspun powder and only blotted once during the day, so no oilies for me. But overall, I think I need more coverage. I like an airbrushed, perfected look, and I don't think this is going to do it for me. I will probably use this as sort of a primer for mineral foundations. Unless, of course, the SPF 55 perfects my skin to the point where I don't need anything else. Wishful thinking!!
UPDATE: It's now summer and I tried this again. You have to be really careful because this can look cakey if you don't blend really well. I just looked in the mirror, and it was caked around my eyebrows - yuck! I agree with some others who said that this has a weird texture, like it's creamy and chalky at the same time. I'll use this only for the sunscreen properties, if it doesn't melt off my face, that is. Lowered to 2 stars.