September 19, 2014 | 1531 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 1/27/2012 5:32:00 PM More reviews by katesloan

I used Coalface religiously when I was an acne-prone, oily-skinned preteen/teenager. It has a great amount of scrub, the charcoal is very cleansing, and there's something almost kinda glamorous about using a black soap. I usually followed up with a small amount of virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer, and the combination left my skin very happy and balanced.

Sadly, I can't use it anymore. Maybe it's just the fact that it's winter and I'm spending a lot of time in my heated, dehumidified house, but Coalface dries out my skin WAY too much these days. Even when I moisturize with coconut oil afterward, my skin protests from the dryness and I break out and have that "tight" feeling.

Such a bummer, since I LOVE the scent of Coalface (maybe because of the nostalgia I have associated with it). I'm using Angels on Bare Skin now, which works much better for my skin type at the moment. My boyfriend, who has oily skin, uses my bar of Coalface sometimes, and it seems to work great for him.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/7/2012 2:42:00 PM More reviews by silvia85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really wanted to like this... I adore Lush soaps and the masks are quite nice, too. However, it dried my skin and it made me break out so much I could not believe it! I rarely break out after using a product so I tested it about 3 times and my skin was horrible....I stopped using it and my skin is clear and soft again! I had to throw it away.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/17/2011 6:57:00 AM More reviews by adrianamelie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this after I ran out of my facial soap that no longer makes any. Sales assistant said it worked wonders for oily skin, so I gave it a go. I didn't care much about the odd sliced shape. It smelled all right, and felt nice on your face... but only for an hour or so. Afterwards my face started to oil again, as if I haven't cleansed my face at all. After 2 hours, it became quite oily, and after 5+ hours, my face was super oily. After 2 weeks of using this, my cheeks started having red spots (not pimples, just spots) and the skin on my T-zone started to become very rough. Will stop using this now and find a new facial soap. This did not work for for me at all. It did not keep my face dry for more than an hour and actually made my face quite worse.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2011 1:01:00 AM More reviews by playdirty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

After many years of searching I have finally found it, my HG cleanser! Not only is this stuff cruelty-free and reasonably priced but it ACTUALLY works! For $15AUD you get a big chunk of this shimmering black gold and you really only need a small 10c piece chunk for each use so it lasts quite a while. I first got this as a sample, chopped it up and got atleast 8 uses out of it and in those few washes I had realised that I had found my skins' saviour. It has quite a noticeable licorice smell but nothing strong enough to put me off and is also slightly grainy for light exfoliation. Rubbing the black lump between your hands produced a grey foam that you can feel instantly cleansing away any oil or grease (meaning it is drying so moisturizer is a must) leaving your skin feeling light and slightly tight. My skin felt fresh and a couple of days later it was obvious my pimples were either gone or in the process of and I'd like to thank coalface for it all :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2011 11:16:00 PM More reviews by intensesodadrinker

Perfect cleanser for me. I've got acne, extreme oil, and, dry patches. This doesn't help with my acne, however, I wasn't expecting it to. This cleans my skin well, doesn't break me out, and, doesn't dry me out. Paid around $20.00 for a good sized chunk that will last me FOREVER. Great and simple cleanser that I will continue buying and buying. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2011 3:54:00 AM More reviews by welcometothefamily

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Asked for a sample of this in my last purchase. Lather feels creamy and gently cleansing on my skin. Dries me out a bit around my nose, which is weird since that's usually my oiliest area. It also doesn't keep me feeling oil-free. I do use a moisturiser, but I used a moisturiser with Dark Angels too, and didn't feel oily then. However, the rough charcoal bits on top of the bar are excellent at getting rid of my clogged pores. Most of my nose was a mess of clogged pores,and this has gotten rid of a lot of them. I do believe this cleanses my skin very well, and getting rid of clogged pores is definitely a plus, but this did not stop my breakouts. I would probably get another sample once this one runs out which is looking like it'll be in 10 years or so, but would not buy a full sized bar ($17.90 NZD per 100g).

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2011 7:25:00 PM More reviews by purplecandy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin that is getting more normal with age, mostly concentrated in my T-Zone.

Coalface leaves my skin feeling clean, though it has always been part of my night routine to remove my make up first before using my cleanser. I cut the bar into small chunks and use the chunks one by one instead of using the whole bar at one time. This makes coalface super travel friendly as I can just throw a chunk into my make-up bag and be gone.

The only con I have is that if you leave it in the shower in a little dish it will secrete some glycerine. I haven't found this to decrease its performance; I just rinse off the glycerine and keep on going. It's better to store it in a less humid setting between uses.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2011 9:42:00 PM More reviews by LameAssCatLady

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I recently fell in love with this soap and I have a feeling that I'll be using it for years to come.

I use this straight on my skin, I do not lather it in my hands then apply. There are chunks of coal in it, so I don't use a heavy hand when applying it.

This makes makeup melt off of your face when you wash and it exfoliates.

It seems to be clearing up my acne which is FANTASTIC!

This does not last very long compared to FF, but you get more product because it is lighter than FF.

The only con I have is the scent. I do not like black licorice scent at all...but if that is the only down side to this product, I can deal with it.

Will buy again!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2011 7:10:00 PM More reviews by tristessa27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is amazing!! Before I talk about what it does for my skin, I have to mention that it's really good at removing stubborn make-up, face paint, any kind of stain on the skin that isn't coming off easily with your usual soap and water...also great in the summer if I've been wearing flip flops all day and the soles of my feet are dirty.

It was the only product that helped with some rogue acne that popped up a few years ago. I had nasty pustules on my chin (where I'd never had acne before) and this really helped to calm them down and keep the pores clean.

I did find that as my skin changed and became less acne prone, this soap really started to dry out my skin, which is why I don't use it regularly anymore.

I do still buy it though because of the other uses I mentioned above and I find it's good to use once in a while as it does a good job of cleaning pores deep down, it mildly exfoliates and brightens my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2011 11:11:00 AM More reviews by glamstep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff!! One of my HG skincare items, I've been coming back to regularly for over 5 yrs now-longest I've stuck to any face product! (although I do alternate & try new things aLL the time)

INGREDIENTS & PROPERTIES:
---Charcoal-absorbs oil, dermal cleansing of pores, soaks up toxins
---Licorice-lightens hyper-pigmentation, acidic so reduces inflammation
---Sandalwood-astringent, disinfectant, emollient
*Commonly used in top quality masks/spas individually or combos

TEXTURE & SCENT:
Black charcoal looking bar with granular gritty surface--it doesn't scratch/over exfoliate even if u apply it directly to your face. Smells like well licorice & sandalwood (mostly)! Natural, minerally & doesn't linger, even if your sensitive to smells or have dry skin--don't be discouraged!

STORAGE & COST:
I buy a single 3g piece for about $10 & cut small blocks off at a time. I keep the big chunk dry & fresh-wrapped in paper away from bathroom moisture & direct light/heat (it does melt in those conditions). It literally lasts me 7-9 mos---worth every penny my budget shoppers! I put my daily slice into the shampoo round tin sold at LUSH (or any non porous soapdish will do), so I can use even the tid bits that solidify inside, not bcuz I'm cheap but bcuz its that good & cant see any of it go to waste! O yea it drips black (be careful of streaks on your arms!) & looks yuk if u let it dry in the sink too, but simply wipe off or let the water run!

APPLICATION:
I do have normal-dry skin so during the winter I use this only at night followed with moisturizer, summer time I bump it up to twice a day.I rub the bar between my fingers, it lathers quickly into a creamy gray FOAM & apply to my wet face. I use circular motions, especially on my nose, chin (blackhead prone area) & rinse off with cold water. I literally feel the impurities being lifted off my face, leaving the most SQUEAKY clean finish ever! It keeps my skin glowing (like I just got a facial done) all yr long. I swear by this being the reason why my face didn't tan living in the Caribbean for 2 yrs compared to the rest of me (yes I applied sunblock daily the same Neutrogena spf 100 on face & body). It has kept my pores clog free, minimized blackheads, rids redness & helped fade old scars. I do have dry skin, but this has NEVER left it blotchy, irritated, cracked or peely (like others have) I find my skin compensates by producing the right amount of moisture that it lacked previously!

TIPS:
If your curious, I suggest going into a LUSH store not purchasing online, so u can pick up a free sample OR customize a small size. I frequently ask for approximately ''$2 travel sizes'' to try several different products out & the SA estimate well around that price tag. OR be daring enough to try it in the sink there! This is one of those products u will FEEL the difference in just ONE use & SEE differences WITHIN a week max! I have recommended to sooo many & got same feedback :)
Heard best results from oily, acne, eczema skin but I have none of the above & am still addicted! Maybe I'm blessed with good skin genes OR maybe its LUSH coal face ;)

Lastly LUSH can be hits & misses so don't stray away from a bad experience with something else. I've previously tried Angels on Bare skin, Fresh Farmacy (found both too crumbly & difficult to lather for my taste), Herbalism (ooo smells!), Baby Face (d/c) & this blows them all! It is my favorite, hands down!!!

17 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No