November 26, 2014 | 951 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 2/11/2012 6:07:00 PM More reviews by scp15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I hated this product so much. I found it to be way to abrasive and it literally left scratch marks on my face. Didn't do much in the acne department either except made my skin extra oily.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2012 6:39:00 PM More reviews by sweetiepea161616

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

This product is nice if you like your face squeaky clean. It foams nicely and leaes your face totally stripped of all oil. This could be bad or good depending on your skin. I find that it strips too much oil and leaves my skin dry and tight. It smells a little weird, like licorice and something I can't put my finger on. It's just okay. I didn't think it really did anything for my skin though. I wouldn't buy again. As far as Lush products go, I will stick with my Herbalism, which is like the total opposite of coal face but I like it much better.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2012 6:31:00 PM More reviews by brilliantine

I've been using this for 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. It smells good and cleans better the anything I've used before, getting all my makeup off easily. My skin feels soft and clear after using it. I find the solid format enjoyable to use and it's easy to cut small pieces off as and when needed. So far I've used less than a quarter of my 5 chunk so I can see it lasting at least a couple of months. My only small gripes are that it can sting your eyes so I have to keep them closed when applying it, and it makes my skin feel a bit 'squeaky' when rinsing- this is nowhere near as bad as with normal soap though. Overall a great purchase - I can see this becoming a long term favourite.

EDIT: This ended up irritating my nose a bit and making me sneeze so I stopped using it :-( Still got some left so may give it a go as a once in a while deep cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by kwinki

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this soap a lot and it is my go to cleanser. I like my cleansers to be a little gritty and this has that and is not irritating although it can be drying sometimes, Works wonders for my acne prone skin along with herbalism.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/27/2012 5:32:00 PM More reviews by katesloan

I used Coalface religiously when I was an acne-prone, oily-skinned preteen/teenager. It has a great amount of scrub, the charcoal is very cleansing, and there's something almost kinda glamorous about using a black soap. I usually followed up with a small amount of virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer, and the combination left my skin very happy and balanced.

Sadly, I can't use it anymore. Maybe it's just the fact that it's winter and I'm spending a lot of time in my heated, dehumidified house, but Coalface dries out my skin WAY too much these days. Even when I moisturize with coconut oil afterward, my skin protests from the dryness and I break out and have that "tight" feeling.

Such a bummer, since I LOVE the scent of Coalface (maybe because of the nostalgia I have associated with it). I'm using Angels on Bare Skin now, which works much better for my skin type at the moment. My boyfriend, who has oily skin, uses my bar of Coalface sometimes, and it seems to work great for him.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/7/2012 2:42:00 PM More reviews by silvia85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really wanted to like this... I adore Lush soaps and the masks are quite nice, too. However, it dried my skin and it made me break out so much I could not believe it! I rarely break out after using a product so I tested it about 3 times and my skin was horrible....I stopped using it and my skin is clear and soft again! I had to throw it away.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/17/2011 6:57:00 AM More reviews by adrianamelie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this after I ran out of my facial soap that no longer makes any. Sales assistant said it worked wonders for oily skin, so I gave it a go. I didn't care much about the odd sliced shape. It smelled all right, and felt nice on your face... but only for an hour or so. Afterwards my face started to oil again, as if I haven't cleansed my face at all. After 2 hours, it became quite oily, and after 5+ hours, my face was super oily. After 2 weeks of using this, my cheeks started having red spots (not pimples, just spots) and the skin on my T-zone started to become very rough. Will stop using this now and find a new facial soap. This did not work for for me at all. It did not keep my face dry for more than an hour and actually made my face quite worse.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2011 1:01:00 AM More reviews by playdirty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

After many years of searching I have finally found it, my HG cleanser! Not only is this stuff cruelty-free and reasonably priced but it ACTUALLY works! For $15AUD you get a big chunk of this shimmering black gold and you really only need a small 10c piece chunk for each use so it lasts quite a while. I first got this as a sample, chopped it up and got atleast 8 uses out of it and in those few washes I had realised that I had found my skins' saviour. It has quite a noticeable licorice smell but nothing strong enough to put me off and is also slightly grainy for light exfoliation. Rubbing the black lump between your hands produced a grey foam that you can feel instantly cleansing away any oil or grease (meaning it is drying so moisturizer is a must) leaving your skin feeling light and slightly tight. My skin felt fresh and a couple of days later it was obvious my pimples were either gone or in the process of and I'd like to thank coalface for it all :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2011 11:16:00 PM More reviews by intensesodadrinker

Perfect cleanser for me. I've got acne, extreme oil, and, dry patches. This doesn't help with my acne, however, I wasn't expecting it to. This cleans my skin well, doesn't break me out, and, doesn't dry me out. Paid around $20.00 for a good sized chunk that will last me FOREVER. Great and simple cleanser that I will continue buying and buying. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2011 3:54:00 AM More reviews by welcometothefamily

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Asked for a sample of this in my last purchase. Lather feels creamy and gently cleansing on my skin. Dries me out a bit around my nose, which is weird since that's usually my oiliest area. It also doesn't keep me feeling oil-free. I do use a moisturiser, but I used a moisturiser with Dark Angels too, and didn't feel oily then. However, the rough charcoal bits on top of the bar are excellent at getting rid of my clogged pores. Most of my nose was a mess of clogged pores,and this has gotten rid of a lot of them. I do believe this cleanses my skin very well, and getting rid of clogged pores is definitely a plus, but this did not stop my breakouts. I would probably get another sample once this one runs out which is looking like it'll be in 10 years or so, but would not buy a full sized bar ($17.90 NZD per 100g).