August 21, 2014 | 1985 users online

Mascara - Shiseido - Nourishing Mascara Base

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2012 11:26:00 AM More reviews by kimberleyban

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have never felt a need to review a product before this one. This is by far the BEST primer on the market! I have tried Clinique, Lancome, MAC, Estee Lauder to name a few. I have very short fine lashes that will not hold a curl. After reading the reviews I figured what the heck I'll give this one a shot. WOW!!!! My lashes look AMAZING!! The primer holds the curl and makes my mascara go on beautifully in only one coat. It is a little pricy but I'd pay double for what this has done for my lashes and in the long run it'll save me $$ on buying different mascara's looking for THE one! Looks like I've found it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2012 9:47:00 PM More reviews by BeaverCleaverReturns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Works just as well as the old formula for me. I have found any significant difference in the performance. I love that it hold the curl in my lashes and prevents mascara from running/smudging. Adds some length and volume, too.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2012 1:59:00 PM More reviews by ibraille

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This does not compare to the original formula. At best this holds a curl fabulously, but I can accomplish that with a waterproof mascara. This adds ok length, but it did nothing for volume like the old formula. This really works no better than using a lengthening waterproof mascara as a base then following with a second masacra. I can get the same effect for under $10.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2012 1:27:00 AM More reviews by soniaemily

I'm not very experimental with make up mainly because I like the simple but put together look with neutrals AND because I understand makeup to girls is like tech tools is to guys, impossible (figuratively speaking) to keep up with and can be very expensive. So I keep whatever works for me and am very loyal to it with the occasional straying which more often than not disappoints. So yeay to product loyalty and money saving.

So I mention money saving quite a bit here because this was SUCH a novelty idea to me. A mascara base? Really? Needless to say I tried the UD primer potion and didn't think it was necessary at all. So like every case of 'I finally caved in', it was due to rave reviews...and so I caved in and got myself this nourishing mascara base.

For some reason, I wasn't as skeptical with this product. Not sure why, but I was very excited. This paired with Lancome's L'Extreme mascara and BAM! I have the longest non false lashes I have ever seen myself have my entire life! LOVE! I first curl my lashes, use the base, then the mascara and when my lashes have 'set' I use a heated lash curler to just lift it a bit more and to push the tips down to have them curl (hard to describe). It adds a bit of volume to the L'Extreme which is specifically for lengthening which is great too!

Definitely an HG routine I'm sticking to for a VERY long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2012 5:56:00 PM More reviews by Gogogo

I love this stuff. So much better than the MAC mascara base; it makes my lashes look way longer, less clumpy, and thicker. I don't have issues holding a curl but my eyelashes could always stand to look longer and healthier. I got this as a gift and don't think I'd buy it though, cause of the price. Idk though, let's see toward the end of the bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 4:18:00 AM More reviews by redcoat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have used both of Shiseido mascara bases, the discontinued one and this one. In a nutshell, I think this has better formulation with its smooth consistency and holding power. I agree with other reviewers that the Nourishing Mascara Base holds a curl really well, is smudge and smear-resistant, as well as volumnises and lengthens. All qualities expected of a mascara base, this one delivers, and more.

But, this is not what amazes me about this product, I have tried other mascara bases that deliver satisfactorily. No, the thing about this product that got me hooked, and got me vowing to repeat-buy until they discontinue it (God forbid!), is the NOURISHING quality. The Nourishing bit in the name is no gimmick, it actually delivers!! I totally did not expect this when I bought it. I have long but somewhat sparse lashes. I have been using this product for about 3 months now, everyday before I apply mascara like I would do with any other mascara base, and I swear I'm not imagining things but my lashes are even longer, and thicker. I am completely wowed, and I am usually a skeptic when cosmetic companies claim to nourish, revitalise, repair etc. I repeat, this is something I did not expect at all and am beyond pleased with. My lashes are now longer, thicker and healthier-looking, although still straight (doubt I can do anything about that besides using an eyelash curler). LOVE!

Mascara base is a necessity for me, but when I find one that delivers more than expected, it becomes a product I am completely loyal to. Packaging may be a tad unimpressive, but who cares?

Anybody else using this product with similar results? Any added growth to your lashes?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2012 10:43:00 PM More reviews by catwoman1275

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is miraculous at holding curl. I have always had a problem with mascaras not holding curl. I have heard that Asians swear by this as they have stick straight lashes. I'm Caucasian with long lashes, but they're fine and straight. Most (if not all) waterproof mascaras hold curl, but they're too drying for everyday use, my lashes break and it's difficult to remove it, even with an oil based eye makeup remover.
Now if I use this primer I can use almost any mascara and the curl will hold. My all time favorite is Max Factor 2000 Calorie, but it's no longer available in the US so now I use MAC Plushlash. Shiseido, please don't ever discontinue this!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2012 11:35:00 AM More reviews by nikkilovescici

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I love this mascara base. I had lost a lot of lashes in the middle of the upper lid and after using this base my eyelashes have grown back in and also are thicker and longer. I see that this base has castor oil in it which I read helps the lashes to grow. HG for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2012 9:03:00 PM More reviews by jlee2

This is a HG item for me - I am very impressed. With two coats of this mascara base, my eyelashes stay curly, separated, long and defined throughout the day. I have stick straight eyelashes and monolid Asian eyes, so getting my eyelashes to stay curled has always been an obstacle. Applying the base and letting it dry before putting on another mascara also reduces the inevitable smudginess that comes with 8 hr+ wear. I will definitely repurchase.

EDIT: I have found that when I use an eyeshadow primer, such as Stila Prime Pot or Urban Decay Primer Potion, the curl does not last all day - maybe five hours. Since I have monolid eyes, it is inevitable that the eyelid rubs against the eyelash and transfers the product. So I took off two lippies.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2012 1:31:00 AM More reviews by Lily21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My lashes: Short, straight, asian lashes. Without a base and mascara, they're pretty much non-existent. I definitely need a mascara base to help hold a curl. I was a BIG fan of the original Shiseido Mascara Base and was really disappointed when I found out it was discontinued. Great brush, great formula, kept a curl, and prevented smudging...why would they discontinue such a great product?! Anyway, as gross as it may sound, I kept my using my old one for some time before I finally tossed it and even then, it took me quite a while before taking the plunge and trying the new nourishing mascara base because I thought it wouldn't be as effective. I finally bought it after receiving a Christmas gift card and I'm glad I did!

Packaging, in my opinion, is sleeker, and the brush is slimmer, but still effective. As far as 'nourishing' my lashes, I think it's too soon to tell, but it doesn't contribute to any stiffness (perhaps that has to do with my mascara though). The formulation appears...lighter, smoother, and less clumpy than the original. I can't remember the price of the old Shiseido Mascara Base, but if I recall correctly, I paid about $25 CAD for this new one.

Bottom Line: I'm glad a took the plunge on this! It performs just as well, dare I say even better, than it's predecessor. It is on the expensive side, but for me, it's worth its price tag.