August 29, 2014 | 1892 users online

Liquid - Chanel - Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 12:30:00 PM More reviews by BrandonBoston

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Grey, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

As a guy, I really don't use any makeup but I got a sample of the Vitalumiere Aqua with an online purchase for Chanel skincare products. I really liked how sheer it was and that it had an SPF15 added. I am also a skin cancer survivor who has to be very careful about sun exposure. Since I have some discolourations and also very oily skin, I like to have something to even out my annoying skin tone. This product does it better than most. I don't use it everyday or anything, but when my appearance is important to me, I find that a VERY SMALL amount goes a long way for me and I feel like a million bucks.

My only 'con' with this product is that it does little to combat oil, so I find myself blotting my skin after a couple of hours. I'm concerned a bit about what the performance will be for me once the hot months of Summer arrive. Between my over-oily skin and Summer perspiration, will this product hold up? I'll update this review once the Summer has come & gone.

Overall though, I think this product is great and I especially like the fact that I can use it for very sheer coverage (which I always opt for!), or build it up should I ever find a reason to do so. Very adaptable and workable foundation! If you want a full coverage foundation, I would suggest looking at other Chanel options.

UPDATE: 5-9-2014 - Since this posting, I have now discovered Chanel's Perfection Lumiere VELVET which now holds the honour of HOLY GRAIL.... As someone with a LOT of oil, I find the new Velvet has a bit more of a mattifying texture. I still think AQUA is awesome, but now feel that AQUA would be best for me to use in the cold, Winter months alone.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2014 8:10:00 PM More reviews by Ebecks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried this a year ago via a sample and I brushed it off not thinking much of it. However I impulse bought this and thank god, because I LOVE it! The coverage is light to medium. It has a natural finish that is some where between dewy and matte. The shade range isn't decent and I found a perfect match. The price is decent seeing the product is amazing. I also splurge on two things, skincare and bases. Worth the price and worth looking into. Do make sure to get samples or make sure your store has a good return policy since the shades have pink, yellow undertone variations.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 10:07:00 AM More reviews by cosmeticsprincess

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I may have found my HG foundation, I LOVE IT!

I find most foundations (high end ones) to be too yellow, too heavy, cakey or even mask-like

This is beautiful. I shake it well, then apply a small amount at a time, blending quickly. The result? My natural face, only better!

Even though those with sensitive skin find it a problem, I can be sensitive too, but this foundation was fine for me. No irritation.

WOULD BUY IT FOREVER IF I COULD!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2014 1:06:00 PM More reviews by Sophiamu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Love this foundation to bits! Although many people told me not to buy this foundation as it does not provide enough coverage, i went ahead and bought it. And I couldn't have been happier.

This foundation evens out my skin tone and I can just dab a little bit extra on areas I need more coverage. However, this foundation DOES NOT work with foundation brushes because it is very liquid. Fingers are by far the best option to use this foundation with.

The finish of this is beautiful, it is very natural and it controls the oils on my face however I cannot leave the house without powdering my very oily nose. It does not irritate any dry spots and this does not dry out my skin.

I am in love with this foundation ^_^

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2014 9:37:00 AM More reviews by Corky1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation as it's nice and light. It looks completely natural and the color selection is great for yellow based skintones. A little goes a long way. The bottle is excellent for traveling. I don't need to use a powder with it as it has a natural matte finish. It's my HG everyday foundation and I plan on using it for a long time!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/5/2014 1:27:00 AM More reviews by Z67

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I just bought this foundation today after explaining to the sales lady that I need a new foundation for spring/summer and that I'm tired of using matte foundations- they make me look older and really dry out my skin. So after explaining what I could do to make the foundations I have be more luminous (dewy, glowing etc) she also suggested Vitalumiere as a new foundation to my routine. I've seen this foundation before and I've heard all the hype for it, so after matching me to 12 Beige Rose because of the pinkiness in it, I was happy to make my first Chanel purchase. Until I tried it on at home and saw it in the natural light. It looked super PINKY on me, not orange. It was a pure pink color. I was horrified. After all, this applied like a dream, covered up what needed to be covered and I didn't have to use so much...but why? I'm kind of turned off to try another.. I do wish to try Perfection Lumiere next time, but I'm at a crossroad on whether to continue making this work by lightening it or just returning/exchanging it for another. Shame!! And it was my first purchase :/

UPDATE 03/10/14:
After ranting on here, I decided to order a white water based foundation to help with the mixing of making this foundtion work with my skin. Hopefully it won't change in its consistency but alter the color a bit. :) I'll update again on how that works out.

UPDATE 04/11/14:
After purchasing MAC F&B in white, I was excited to mix it with it. My results are now a true pink foundation (!) which was unexpected. I still like the formula and how it feels on my face, but this isn't enough. Maybe returning it for the beige tone will help with the undertone now? I don't know, but I still don't like it even after mixing it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 12:48:00 AM More reviews by nicolawetselaar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the best foundation i have ever used!
This foundation is more of a true liquid foundation. It has to be shaken very well before being applied. It's water based and has a very thin consistency. Which means it feels like nothing on the skin. The coverage depends on the person. If you have cystic acne or love full coverage then i would probably steer clear of this because the coverage will probably be considered very light to you. I have acne prone skin so some blemishes in random spots on face and scarring from them (very mild and it's never been cystic) and for me the coverage is light-medium and very buildable. It does not completely cover my areas of trouble but it does reduce the appearance. It has quite a strong fragrance (which i personally love) so sensitive skin, use at your own risk. I think my favourite component of this foundation is that it looks invisible on the skin and it seems to be popular with every skin type, from dry to oily! My skin is very oily and it does not completely stop my oil from seeping through (that's impossible for me), but it does control my oil a lot better then most of my other foundations even if i don't set it with a powder. It has a very natural skin-like finish, not particularly matte and not particularly dewy. The packaging is great as well, so convient for travel! The only faults i have with this foundation is the price, in Australia it's $77, and the colour range, it's not that great for a high-end foundation. But overall this foundation is amazing. If another one of my foundations is not working out for me, i can always rely on this.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2014 8:53:00 PM More reviews by babykitten9

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

This foundation is just awful (for me, that is). No matter how I apply it, I end up with a patchy face. It clings to every single dry spot on my face (oily acne-prone using bp daily). I have tried several application ways because I really wanted to like the foundation. Brush, sponge, fingers. You name it. Best way for me was the fingers. Regardless the application by the end of my working day I look like a complete mess - the foundation is clearly visible in my pores but it is nowhere to find on my face. It's gone. It is a disaster in a bottle! I was so curious to try it and I am oh so dissapointed!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2014 1:57:00 PM More reviews by Mila422

I love the way this makes my skin look, literally my skin but better. However, something in the product really irritated my skin causing a contact dermatitis like reaction. I don't typically have sensitive skin so I was so disappointed. I tried it like 5 times on different occasions each time it would just get worse. So sad :(

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2014 1:35:00 PM More reviews by wollie11

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Let's start by saying that this is one of my first review on MUA. I've been searching high and low for a new daytime/casual foundation for MONTHS now. I was using Laura Mercier Oil Free Moisturizer for daytime looks (blending the nude and sand depending on the season and my skin color from outdoor exposure) for 2 years. Before that I was using MUFE high def for day and night looks (also custom blending 2 shades for the perfect match depending on season). A year ago my skin started to change-hormones,age etc...I was always oily and prone to breakouts but it just got worse. The LM and MUFE items were leaving me way to oily by mid-day. I'm talking oil slick city. By the end of the day it was practically sliding off of my face. Also, the LM & more so the MUFE was causing blackheads/clogged pores in places I never had problems before. I am at the point in life where I get monthly cystic acne that often lands me in the dermatologist for an injection to take down the actual pimple. So in the last few months, I tried the all-Amani, Yves St. Laurent, MAC, Buxom, Laura Mercier, Tarte, Stila, Bobby Brown ,Elizabeth Arden, Vichy and some others from France that can be found in CVS here in NYC. I never thought that Chanel would have what I needed. Here I am 3 weeks into regular wearing and very happy with this product. It has a strong but beautiful scent, is virtually invisible and yet hides my small imperfections. If you have bigger blemishes/acne scars, you will need concealer. If you have undereye circles, you will need concealer. I have both and with some help from my HG concealer, cle de peau (beige and ocre), they are erased. Alone this foundation will get shiny fast, but with a quick, light brush of the Chanel Les Beiges powder (also amazing as is their universal loose poweder), it is perfection. My husband even made a comment on how great and natural my skin looks, which for day, is exactly what I was looking for. IT DID NOT MAKE ME BREAK OUT AT ALL, and trust me, for that I am willing to pay big $$. Speaking of $, it isn't cheap and the bottle is small. In truth, you really don't need much of this stuff. I initially purchased Beige 30 on the insistence of the sales lady, but I ended up going back and exchanging it for Beige 40. I have NC20-25, very light olive Italian skin with yellow undertones. The Chanel match isn't perfect but it is completely workable-in truth, I will probably repurchase the Beige 30 and blend it with the 40, which I often did with my previous go to foundations. For night, I am now using Chanel's Mat Lumiere, which I love and will also review separately.