April 19, 2014 | 1936 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Root Rescue

rated 1 of 5 on 11/22/2010 4:22:00 PM More reviews by Polpette

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I usually purchase Clairol's root product but they were sold out of my color so I went for this instead and purchased it in Soft Black. I don't have any complaints about it matching, because that was fine. I have issues with the packaging and the damage it did to my hair. The bottle is tall and slim and it' difficult to mix the product without making sure the bottle is propped up because it keeps wanting to tip over. Also, you have to replace the original cap and shake it and then put on a new cap which was pretty drippy to deal with. Don't shake it with the comb on it or product will go everywhere. I have shoulder length hair and I always draw down a little bit of product, so that it blends seemlessly, but there's not a lot of product to do a good job of this. The product smells HORRIBLE once you begin to rinse it out. I mean, like rotting garbage. Finally, I shed about three times the normal amount I usually do after showering and this lasted for a couple of days. I was freaking out when I saw how much hair was in my comb. Be sure you read the instructions and don't just go at it with this product because you're instructed to use shampoo after rinsing which is something I've never seen with a home hair color kit before.

Cons: poor packaging, not enough product, terrible smell, hair loss
Pros: matched my hair color, I'm not completely bald

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/30/2010 9:01:00 PM More reviews by moonluna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

RUN, do not walk, away from this HORRIBLE HORRIBLE product that will RUIN YOUR HAIR!!! I have been coloring y hair at home for over twenty years, and have used every product on the planet. What a fool I was to buy this crap! I should have come on here first! This product makes it look like it will color your roots as easy as pie. Actually, this product will do NOTHING to color your roots, it will make your scalp itch like crazy, AND it will turn your hair into weird colors in blotches all over your head! OMG! I have copper red hair and I bought the Light Auburn. The applicator was horrible, there was not enough product so I was digging my fingers into the bottle in a panic, AND it turned my hair Kool-Aid red, with brown roots, and orange blotches. I am so mad at L'Oreal right now I might boycott Feria. How dare they rip people off with this product. I look like a clown!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2010 6:16:00 PM More reviews by used2Baileendq

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Boy, am I pissed. I tried this in dark brown, the color I normally use to blend my grays into my black hair. I had dark ORANGE roots after using this.

I had to use a demi-perm color from Sally's to cover the hot roots up.

THIS PRODUCT IS UTTER CRAP. Please stay away.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2010 2:30:00 PM More reviews by HeidiML

Ugh. I wanted to like this product since I use L'Oreal Excellence Creme to color my hair and use another brand's root coloring for touch ups. I bought #9 color, as I use 9.5NB Excellence color. I was happy with the color - ON DAY ONE. It blended flawlessly. However, as the days went by I noticed my roots looking....orange and even darker than before I used Root Rescue. As a result, I won't be using this product again.

Additionally, the mixing process is tricky. Coloring is poured into the developer bottle, which should stand in the punch-out-hole on the back of the box (it's a narrow, tippy bottle). The application bottle (which is also the mixing bottle) works pretty well, but I still prefer to use a brush for application.

Overall I can't believe what a poor product this is. And here I had such high hopes, based on the L'Oreal name.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/12/2010 8:21:00 AM More reviews by Suesaroo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Thought I'd give l'oreal a try since I do use their other hair color products. What a bad experience, used the auburn shade and my roots were purple in comparrison to the rest of my color. I know that there is a purple cast to some reds but this was bad. Ended up re-coloring my whole head.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/8/2010 2:44:00 PM More reviews by ninny

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first experience with a root touch-up product. I was tempted to give it two stars because in some ways it performed better than I had expected, but the color is just so completely, glaringly *wrong* that I wonder if the product I used was defective or mislabeled.
I've been coloring my hair (I alternate between the salon and DIY at home) for twenty years, and I have never before had a color disaster of this magnitude that wasn't due to some huge blunder on my part.
My natural color is medium ash brown with a sprinkling of gray concentrated near my temples. I color it light neutral brown with a few dark blonde/caramel highlights around my face.
I bought Root Rescue in Light Ash Brown, figuring that it would just lighten my roots a shade and help blend in the gray until it was time to do an all-over color again. I didn't expect it to cover the gray completely, and I didn't expect it to match the warmer shade of the rest of my hair exactly (obviously, since I bought ash), I only expected it to make the difference between my roots and the rest of my hair a little less obvious.
I used it on clean, product-free hair. I followed package instructions. I checked the color after 7 minutes, after 10 minutes, after 12 minutes, and after 15 minutes, each time deciding that clearly the color hadn't "taken" yet, and in a few more minutes everything would be fine. Wrong. The color never changed after 10 minutes. My roots remained bright orange, not getting any lighter or darker, nor any closer to a color resembling brown (let alone ash brown) no matter how long I waited.
On the plus side, it really did cover every bit of gray and I'm amazed at how well it blended my roots into the rest of my (completely different color) hair. It's truly bizarre. Now (2 days later - wearing a hat in public until I have time to have this fixed) not a single gray or darker brown strand is visible where I used Root Rescue. My roots are a completely uniform, even, BRIGHT ORANGE which fades so gradually and smoothly into my light brown hair that there really is no perceptible line between the colors at all. So...Bravo...I guess, for that.
This product does cover gray, and it does miraculously blend the roots into the rest of the hair (I can't figure out how), but the orange - THE FREAKING ORANGE!!!!- is unforgivable.
I've had good luck with both Preference and Excellence in the past, but based on my experiences with both this product and L'Oreal's latest semi-permanent color and other people's experiences with their newer 10minute color, I am not interested in anything new from L'Oreal in the hair-care department, maybe ever again. This was more than a misstep.
I wonder how much it's going to cost me at the salon to rescue my day-glo Ronald McDonald roots from Root Rescue.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2010 10:26:00 AM More reviews by auburngal

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This review is for color 4R, Dark Auburn.

I had high hopes for this. I love Revlon ColorSilk Root Touch-up, am OK with Clairol's root product. L'Oréal has such a great rep for quality that I had to try their version. They promise a new color match technology even if you have your hair professionally colored (that's me).

Not! The dark auburn has burgundy tints to it, is not pigmented at all like other dark aurburns- it looked AWFUL. Contrasted sharply with the rest of my hair and was so very obvious. With Revlon ColorSilk, even my colorist had no idea I was using a touch-up product between times, to give you an idea of what a root product should be like. Weeks later, even with color correction, the L'Oreal product still shows up on my hair. It'll be months before my hair color is back to normal.

The L'Oréal product moreover was runny and messy, much harder to apply than either Revlon or Clairol. And it bled on my towels, bed linens, nightgown, and robe.

I called L'Oréal; they were very interested in my feedback, to give them their due. They paid me back and didn't make me send the unused boxes back to them; they very really very nice about it.

Bottom line: I'm going back to ColorSilk, long may it be available.