MAC Pro Longwear Foundation

3.8

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide 4.7% Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trimethyl Pentaphenyl Trisiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Tribehenin, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Bis-Peg/Ppg-14/14 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Dimethicone, Phenyl Methicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Methicone, Tetramethyl Hexaphenyl Tetrasiloxane, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silica, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Laureth-7, Hexyl Laurate, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Propylene Carbonate, Alumina, Polymethylsilsequioxane, Dimethicone Silylate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Chlorphenesin [ /- Mica, Iron Oxides (C) 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (C) 77891, Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288) [September 17, 2010]

on 2/1/2015 9:40:00 PM

I'm not really sure about this product yet. I've only had it for a few days and the coverage is AMAZING. I had to get one of the lightest shades and it matched perfectly. however, I did notice after awhile that it did oxidized, it wasn't too bad though! and I have noticed that since I've started using it I've started to break out around my nose ): I'm not sure if it was this foundation or if the breakout was caused by something else. Overall I really do love the foundation but I'm not sure if I'd buy it again!

I'm naturally very pale, and so I bought this in the NC-15 shade, because when the lady matches me in the store it fit. It looked pretty nice and I was in need of a new foundation so I bought it. But I sincerely do not like this foundation. It oxidises, so if you pale you end up with an orange face, I find that it doesn't sit well on my dry patches and felt heavy on the face. I also feel like it can look cakey.. It just doesn't look like skin which is what I look for in a foundation.

This is the first foundation I bought from Mac ... and I was very disappointed tbh 😐 Well first time i applied it, it was fine (nothing special though) Then the next day it really dryed my skin and make me have some disgusting dry patches. Also I found that if I wanted a little more coverage it would look soo cakey. I do not like this foundation and found myself throwing it away. erhhhhh 😴

on 1/29/2015 6:49:00 PM

I've been coming back to this foundation for 5 years now. We have a love/hate relationship. It's amazing when we reconcile, but after a little while, I remember why we broke up. The color match is awesome. I wear NC-15, which is a tad pale, but once it oxidizes, it matches perfectly. The spf gives a little flashback that actually acts as a highlighter so, bonus! Here's the tricky part, the texture. It will suck the life out of your skin and require a jackhammer to remove. And if you do not remove it completely, it will cause Mac-ne. Forget about layering and building up. You have one chance to get the coverage you desire. I slather myself in moisturizer (bobbi brown) and quickly blend this with my fingers, patting in over massive pores and blending where I don't need as much coverage. For breakouts, I dab with a concealer brush. Any kind of rubbing after the first layer will result in patches akin to your skin peeling off. Don't even think about putting this anywhere under your eyes if you don't want to look 10 years older- use a separate concealer for that. Once I mastered application, I do not have to touch up for at least 12 hours. This will last on me all day long with maybe a quick blot. It also makes a great eye shadow primer as I have the oiliest eye lids known to mankind. However, like all summer romances, my love affair comes to a screeching halt once my skin starts to crack and breakout from this sucking the life out of me like a stage 5 clinger. Maybe this time it will be different if I take better care of my skin and use extra moisturizing products...or maybe I will finally find the perfect foundation that meets all of my needs and treats me well.

I totally love this foundation, definitely an HG product for me! And I'm not the kind of person that claims that very often. I got matched NC15, and I have to admit it is spot on, totally my shade! I love this product because it gives great coverage (I have smooth skin but tend to get a little red on my cheeks, chin and nose), this foundation makes me look like I have baby-like skin. It goes on smooth - I use my BeautyBlender most of the time, but applying with my fingers works just fine. I actually feel like this softens my skin. The smell doesn't bother me at all. The texture might be too thick for some people but if you apply with a damp BeautyBlender you won't even notice. I have tried three other longwear foundations, both drugstore and high-end brands, and this one is the one star of the bunch. It controls my oily nose so incredibly well, I rarely need to touch up. And when I do, I don't have to worry about it rubbing off because it simply stays put. I have to admit I have slept with this and worn it throughout the next day (I know, bad bad bad!) and it STILL stayed on. I just LOVE this!!! I am happy to pay full price for this wonderful product and will definitely buy this again and again!

The other good ones I tried:
Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24h
Revlon Colorstay for oily/combo skin

The "bad" one:
Max Factor Lasting Performance - I got the lightest shade which matched fine at first but after an hour or so turned orange on me. Doesn't blend well on my skin either. Dissappointing to say the least.

on 1/26/2015 8:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hands up if you're here because you want try this over Studio fix? *Hand going up everywhere*

Story- I tried studio fix for 2 days, and basically tortured my skin for that amount of time. I don't have bad skin, I dont tend to get spots or get a greasy face but studio fix made me break out like crazy, with or without primer, and setting powder.

Packaging- I love the packaging, very modern, sleek and simple, and a lovely pump included also.

Wear/Feel- The colour NW15 is perfect match for me. Its easy to apply, with fingers or a brush, easy to blend/build up, you don't need a primer, though it helps, it really does last 15 hours, you don't need a setting powder. It has good coverage and it doesn't feel cakey. The bad points for me and other girls are that some girls have said that it sets quick so they cant work quick enough to get it in place before it sets, I haven't had this problem, but i thought i'd mention it. I have also noticed that I have had rather a lot of pimples/ dumps on my face mainly on my forehead. I have also noticed that my redness on my cheeks has gotten worse.

Price:25 not too bad for a mid range foundation. I am happy to pay this. It is more expensive than studio fix for the same amount of product and lastly it has no lid, I know it has a lock safety thing going on for the pump, but a lid would be great.

Overall I wouldn't buy this again purely because it breaks me out/ makes my skin goes crazy. Its a shame because I do like this foundation but I think its just to heavy for skin to take.

on 1/21/2015 8:43:00 PM

This is a lovely foundation, once it sets it does not budge at all. It goes off when i decide to take my makeup off, even without setting spray and powder (which it certainly doesn't need, its perfectly matt). The formula is perfection for me, the pigmentation is great (light to medium) and i really like the finish of it.
I love it, i really do! But i have one huge problem with it, the shade that was picked out for me is not a great match.
I got matched by a professional at my local mac counter, i guess it was the bright lights there or maybe they didn't have a lighter shade and she just wanted to sell the product to me (i don't know anything about the shades, just assuming)?

I have the shade NW13 and i am quite a pale gal. It is not terrible on me but it does have a unattractive orange hint to it which drives me crazy.

Did i get a wrong match or am i just too pale for this product? i don't know but it's a shame, i do intend to use it up, i make it work with some white powder and maybe get a tan in the summer... :/

on 1/18/2015 9:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Amazing. Not greasy, actually stays on, doesn't get oily. I am actually surprised my HG foundation is Mac because I all the others just did not work for me. Shows up good in pictures despite having SPF - I know SPF usually reflects camera flash and washes you out (so they say) but not this. Just don't drop it...Nice glass packaging! Totally breakable.

This lasts all day with no touching up needed, for me at least. I get up and have my makeup on by 6.30am and don't get home until about 6.30pm. On the ODD day I look in the mirror and think oh god I look worn outttt! But for the majority of the time it really holds up well. However, if I were going out after work I would always redo my makeup so I cannot say if it lasts you know, from 6am until 12am or whatever...But, I don't think anything really would.

All I use is a non-greasy moisturizer underneath it and apply it with my hands. For a period I do think I used a brush, but I honestly just hate the thought of touching my face with the same sticky brush everyday. I wash my hands before I put it on, and after I put it on.

BE CAREFUL!!!! THIS STAINS! I was nearing the end of my bottle and pushed the pump down when a drop came flying out onto my white shirt. It never came off. It also got on my jeans, just a speck and that too is there until this day.

I suppose the price is fair - it is Mac after all and its expected it would be around $40 which it is. It lasts me like......Two months? I am not sure - of daily use. I do not use a brush and I suspect I also waste less product this way.

Fantastic buy.

on 1/8/2015 10:42:00 PM

Two favourite things about this foundation are that I'm able to find shades that are the right tone for me (currently NC35) and that it stays put throughout the day! I have oily skin and this stuff lasts a full day without sliding off/smudging/oxidizing/looking gross in general. Finish is smooth and satin and very natural looking.

My skin tone is medium-light but I have very warm, yellow undertones so I find it difficult finding shades that are dark enough while still having the right undertone (ie not orange or red looking). NC35/NC40 does the trick for me.

Would recommend if you have oily skin and are looking for something that will last, especially with primer this stuff is great. Has never broken me out either.

on 1/8/2015 7:53:00 PM

Edit: I returned this for my good old Este Lauder Double Wear. MAC PLW didn't give enough coverage (without a lot of concealer) and when it did it always looked too cakey. It does stay on nicely, so I'd recommend if you are looking for a light to medium coverage long wear foundation. Not for me though!

I have worn MAC Studio Fix Fluid for years. I love how the SFF looks when first applied and the full coverage but after a few hours it will break up and disappear on me. After getting tired of that, despite using many primers, I decided to try the Pro Longwear. I went to a MAC counter and a girl working there applied it on my face. I will admit I looked terrible! She put way too much on and my face was sooo cakey. For whatever reason I still bought it to give another try even though I thought I already hated it.

The next morning I applied it myself and like the MAC girl, I applied way too much. I was a total cake face. I immediately removed it and tried again using less. It came out much better but definitely does not cover as well as the SFF. It is a medium coverage and anything more will not look good unless you have the most amazing blending skills. I use a stippling brush. Finger method might get a better full coverage but I haven't tried that yet.

I like a full coverage as I have many freckles so I ended up buying the Pro Longwear concealer to help get more coverage and I am happy with my results. Both have a nice natural full coverage and it stays put! I can even work out in it and if my dog attacks me with a slobbery kiss to the face my make up is still intact.

If you are looking for a medium coverage long lasting foundation this is great! If you want full you might end up on the cakey side... unless you are willing to use a concealer as well.

I am very pale and neutral toned (combo warm and pink) and the NC15 matches me quite nicely. Slightly a smudge too dark if I look in certain light and want to obsess about it, but the PLW concealer runs light so the combo works perfectly. No oxidation with the foundation but I use a primer underneath (MAC matte).

Video Reviews & Tutorials