Almay One Coat Dial Up

3.2

on 5/23/2011 10:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

After reading all the negative reviews on this product, I am pretty surprised that I actually like this mascara. I got a bunch of these in all the shades for 75% off (and with coupons) from CVS, so I figured even if I didn’t like it I could just give them away since they were practically free. I’ve been using ‘Blackest Black’ and so far I like it & I’ll continue to use it. I will say first off, I really don’t notice a difference regardless of what ‘setting’ this is on. I usually just apply 2 coats on ‘2’. The first couple of uses the brush came out clumpy, but after about a week of regular use there is very little clumping on the brush. I’m usually not a fan this type of ‘rubbery’ brush, but this one is not as prickly or irritating as others I’ve used. I actually like the shape of the brush (kind of an ‘hourglass’ shape). The ‘blackest black’ shade is dark and shiny. It has a ‘wetter’ formula but I don’t think the drying time is too bad. This goes on smoothly and nicely separates and defines my lashes. It lengthens a little. It doesn’t volumize a lot, though a second coat helps. Its not a super-dramatic mascara, but it is still noticeable. Its just right for day-to-day wear. I don’t really have problems with clumping, flaking, or smudging (the formula I have is not waterproof, though), and it hasn’t irritated my sensitive eyes/eye area. It is kind of stubborn to remove, I usually wind up with black streaks & spots of mascara after just regular cleansing. I’m not a fan of the bulky, kind-of-tacky-looking tube, and I agree the whole ‘adjustable settings’ thing is kind of gimmicky, since any one of the settings would make a fine mascara just on its own. I’m assuming this is being discontinued since its on clearance and its turning up at places like the ‘Dollar Tree’. Seems like its just another ‘fad’ product that will go by the wayside, but I’m glad at least it worked for me.

on 5/6/2011 9:52:00 AM

I found this at the Dollar Tree, so I had to give it a shot. Thank goodness I only paid a dollar because this product is horrible. The mascara itself isn't too bad, but the delivery method is terrible. Even when set on 1, the mascara comes out clumpy and goops all over your lashes. I will not be buying this product again.

on 4/30/2011 3:29:00 PM

This mascara works well, but it's not waterproof so it doesn't stay very long. It works well when you first get it, but after a few uses it begins to clump. Besides that it's a decent mascara.

on 4/27/2011 1:46:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I got this on sale for $3.50, so how could I not try it? I use the "2" setting. I think the settings should have been called "kinda some product, some product, CLUMPS". I got this in black, not waterproof. I prefer waterproof, especially after a brisk short walk to work in light rain and arriving in less than professional form. I'll finish this tube but won't likely buy this again.

on 4/26/2011 7:42:00 AM

i would just take the mascara in a regular tube on the 3 setting. at first it seemed like it didn't make a difference but the more i used it w a couple layers of it, it did such an awesome job! :D

on 4/5/2011 5:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Worst mascara I have ever tried. Just didn't work for me at all. I like the concept, but It somehow managed to smudge horribly on me. The second and third dials are very clumpy, and you can't tell much of a difference between the three dials when applied. Even when I wiped the excess off, it still made me look like I had only four lashes. It also flaked on me throughout the day. Chucked it out because it irritated my eyes. Luckily I didn't have to spend the money for it as it was free gift with purchase. Don't recommend this. :(

on 3/31/2011 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

this is one almay product that i do not care for. i found it at big lots for four dollars with a bonus eyeliner, so i picked it up. i can't really tell much difference between the different numbers on the dial, it clumps so easily, and makes my lashes stick together. when i can get it to go on nicely, it looks nice. but that doesn't happen too often. this is definitely not a mascara you can put on if you're in a hurry. it takes time and patience, and i don't always have a lot of either of those, so i will not be buying this again.
the eyeliner, however, i have no issues with :)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just picked this up today at a beauty discount store for 3 bucks. I tried the 3 different dials. I dont know if I can really tell the difference. I dont think its a bad mascara though. I havent had the clump problem though.

on 3/11/2011 1:43:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Im always into trying new mascaras. Im a fan of Colossal and Lashblast n my new fav is Rimmel Day 2 Night. A friend of mine told me that this product was even better then the Rimmel so I bought it. I must say I really did like it. I personally noticed a difference in the 3 settings. (I used each one sepreately different times) The packaging is cute. Some people complained about clumping but i think when u take your time n apply your mascara, any mascara, it doesn't really clump. Another thing alot of people do is wipe their wand before they use it. Rimmel gave me length and if I wasnt careful, my lashes almost looked spidery. But this mascara fanned my lashes out without giving that effect. Alot of people have been complimenting me when i use it :)
Side note: Every mascara is different for each person, it depends on what type of lashes you have to begin with and it also depends what your looking for. AND no matter how great a mascara claims to be, youll never get that "fake" look without wearing fake lashes LOL #imjussayin

on 2/25/2011 12:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

As with the majority of my makeup lately, I found this at the Dollar Tree. I bought it simply because it was only $1, I'd never tried an Almay mascara before & I thought the packaging looked really neat. I'm not sure how the whole 'dial-up' thing is supposed to work, I only use it on '3' & it makes my lashes look ridiculously long & thick. The only con about this is that its very thin & wet, so it tends to smear if you don't allow it enough time to dry. Also, I wouldn't recommend using it on your lower lashes as it gets everywhere & by the end of the day, you look like you've got dark circles beneath your eyes. Overall, this was fantastic, especially considering the low price. I'd definitely repurchase it for $1, but probably not at full price.

Top Rated Almay Products