September 23, 2014 | 1831 users online

Treatments (Face) - Kiehl's - Midnight Recovery Concentrate

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2013 3:54:00 PM More reviews by Vanessamucho

When I am dry and especially during the winter, this used to work very well on me.

I don't like the smell but it does soothe my skin.

I like that this has never aggravated my face seriously and is very calm and soothing

This is a great product to bring with when I am traveling as it can give me a pick me up and save me from some dry skin. I will not repurchase because I have moved on to better products.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by CamiWillians

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't get all the hype. Yes, it smells heavenly and you do wake up with glowing skin, but I think that's also a mental effect of spending $45 on AN OUNCE of MIXED OILS. I get the same glow from Argan oil (around half the price) and coconut oil (a quarter of the price.) Plus I can already foresee the horrors of using up this product, as the dropper becomes inefficient towards the end! I think the product is great, but it isn't worth half the cost.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2013 7:48:00 PM More reviews by ctregower

At first I thought this product was overrated, even benign, as I couldn't see any difference in my complexion. No brightness, no healthy glow etc. I was starting to feel a little bummed about spending £40 on a bottle of what was essentially, pleasant smelling oil.

To begin with, I was only using Midnight Recovery 2/3 times per week. I thought - falsely - that if I used it every night I was BOUND to break out. I mean, I had to - MR is an oil, which is, after all, the root of my adolescent skin problems, right? So, resting upon this assumption, I was parsimonious in my application for the first two months that I owned MR.

However, the real breakthrough came when I, sick of the ostensibly great experiences everyone else was having, decided to perform a little experiment. I was going to use Midnight Recovery EVERY NIGHT and see what happened. Risking a few pimples to find the perfect Midnight Recovery recipe seemed like a small price to pay for the redemption my soul would bask in after discovering that this indulgently priced item actually worked.

So I applied it every night. I cleansed, toned, applied 3-4 drops of oil over my face.

I will cut the middle part out as I wouldn't want to embellish unnecessarily about my really fun life.

4 weeks later, and WOW. My skin has genuinely never been so good. When I take my make up off at night, my skin glows. And while Midnight Recovery Oil didn't trigger my decision to relinquish foundation, it certainly made me happy about it. My skin is clear and glowing, and truly has not looked this good in years.

So the moral of the story is, if you're not using your Midnight Recovery every day, lest your skin exploding into Turkish Delight scented acne, do try it. It may be the best thing you ever do.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2013 6:07:00 PM More reviews by littlemj

NC25 Chinese, acne prone and oily skin.

WTF THIS ACTUALLY DRIES ME OUT. So 2 for 2, this and the Josie Maran argan oil is not hydrating enough.. must be the AZ desert climate. I'm on Day 3 right now, and I'm rubbing away random flaky skin (this never happens on my thick oily skin unless I go benzoyl peroxide nuts on my jawline). Seriously must be the lack of humidity arid climate I live in...

Update: Had to stop on Day 4, my skin feels dry and even a bit raw. :( I used to have oily skin.. hahahaha.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/14/2013 2:48:00 PM More reviews by sashaloudfeather

I wanted to like this. I didn't really see any results and I used the entire bottle! Maybe it wasn't hydrating enough. I wanted to see a glow but I did not. it smells great just not what I thought it would be.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2013 12:35:00 PM More reviews by santiyunita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I used to have oil free skin care since my skin is already very oily. 5months ago the SA of kiehls convinced me to use this product because it will hydrate the skin and make the skin brighter (not whiter). I love the lavender scent and the skin texture in the morning. Now my skin texture is much better.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/13/2013 2:02:00 PM More reviews by fellycia

I was super hyped when I knew Kiehl's have this product. I personally am a fan of any beauty products that claim to work at midnight, because I just love to see myself in the morning with a slight tiny little change from the night before. Unfortunately, I have no idea why this product doesn't seem to give me any result. I woke up with a skin that is just as dull as the night before ( I have acne prone skin, and all the acne meds I've been taking made my skin so dry and dull looking. ) I've been using this products for almost 6 months, I never stop using it just because it doesn't give me any bad effects from using this. I have high hopes for this product that I used this by itself on the night before my engagement party, but it turned out 'blah'. I'm still searching for a perfect over-night skin care product out there, and before I found any product that would live up to my expectation I'll use this one. This bottle does last very long, which is good for the price. Maybe this will work for those who don't have acne prone skin like me.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/18/2013 7:34:00 PM More reviews by Yvie8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Too greasy! This did not work for my skin. Broke out a little bit in the morning, clogged my pores. Also, I don't feel presentable after putting this on because it makes my skin too shiny. Bah!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by fishyerica

I have combination skin. I used Kiehl's ultra facial cream many years ago and I wasn't impressed by how much excess oil it would leave on my face. I am in my late twenties and my skin is not as dewey as when I was a teen of course. I have breakouts occasionally, and they leave acne scars that would never go away. My pores were getting bigger, and very noticeable black heads white heads. i used gel moisturizer hoping that it would make my face less sticky and oily. also i avoided sunscreen moisturizer (which is bad!). but still my face usually gets oily in the middle of the day. i do facial masks more often (3 times a week), still it didn't do much effect on me in a long run.

About a year ago, I decided to spend extra money to keep my skin healthy. My friend is a huge fan of Kiehl's and recommends MRO (Midnight Recovery OIl) to me. Despite the price tag for a bottle of 30ml oil, I still try it on and see how good this would do to my skin. as told by the sales rep, if you are not satisfied by the product, you can always return it at Kiehl's store and get a full refund.

Like everyone says here about MRO, don't be skeptical if the oil will make your skin so oily and clog your pores. It won't! It absorbs right in after 5 mins.

No one teaches me how to apply this on my face, I just do the way that works. The way I apply is to put 2-3 drops on the tips of my index and middle fingers of left hand, then really really quickly warms it up by massaging it with your index and middle fingers of your right hand. watch out if you don't do it quick enough then the oil will slip through your fingers. after warming up the oil, massage the oil on your face and neck and forehead. You can slightly pat your face with your palms so that the oil sinks into your pores faster. :) Your hands also get the benefit of this oil too, right?! :) the key thing is, less is more. i tried putting 4, 5, 6 drops to see the differences. my face gets all oily the next morning if i put 5 drops or more. so don't get the impression that putting A LOT of MRO will do good. just put enough to cover your face and let the oil sink in before sleeping.

after using it for 1 months, my skin had a major change. first, my acne scars i had for 3-4 months were gone! even if i had a pimple and i put a little bit more of MRO on the spot, it healed within a week or two. the redness caused by pimple was gone. it's like MRO has similar effect of salicylic acid!! (i could be wrong). i use MRO instead of regular moisturizer at night during spring/summer time. if you use it in winter time, put MRO before putting extra moisturizer. 2nd, my face doesn't get oily in the middle of the day. it stays moisture without feeling greasy even though i put SPF 30 daily moisturizer in the morning.

I have been using it for a year now, my skin condition definitely has improved. my pores are smaller (well, let's just say it's harder to squeeze a whitehead out by fingers now, i have to use a needle to clean it up, not fun!). a friend of mine hasn't seen me for a year and recently said that my skin looks dewy as in healthier and brighter without excess oil. i also change my daily routine of facial care after using this product. i stopped using strong cleansing product that makes my skin dry. before using MRO, i feel like Cetaphil daily cleanser doesn't clean the oil on my face... but then i realize that my pores were so big the Cetaphil couldn't clean out all the oil off my face. since my pores are smaller and retains the good amount of oil in my face, it is good to use Cetaphil without feeling all dry and tight.

most of the ingredient of MRO are extracted from plants. i really like how natural it is to use plant-based products (ie: most of them are flower seed oil extracts), and they are very powerful and do the job to make your skin feel stronger. though one bad thing, i hate the design of the droplet. i can't get the last bit of oil out of the bottle, i have to use a Pasteur pipet (i work in a lab, so... ) to aspirate it out.

i also exercise 3-4 times a day now. i think that might have helped my skin to regenerate faster as well. St. Ives apricot facial scrub once or twice a week to get rid of dead skin. facial mask once a week.

my morning routine: washing face with cetaphil, use Kiehl's Calendula herbal-extract toner ($32 for 250ml, quite expensive), Kiehl's avocado eye cream (i have been getting sample packs so i haven't spent any money to buy the whole jar :D) then finish with H2O+ Sea Result line resolution SPF30 broad spectrum ($15 for 30ml) OR cetaphil SPF 15 broad spectrum daily moisturizer ($12).

my night routine: washing face with cetaphil, calendula toner, avocado eye cream and MRO ($46 30ml) lastly. these products last for a good period of time 6-9 months at least.

my conclusion:
i would recommend this product if you are longing for a change of your skin condition. it's worth your money and save you money for buying all the products that your skin doesn't need.

i would go for bigger sizes for Kiehl's product (MRO, toner), good to stock up when Kiehl's offers discount ($30 off during last x'mas! or 20% off during mid year) ask for different samples or just get bunch of smaller packs of MRO and eye cream! hahah! i hope this helps.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2013 9:12:00 AM More reviews by sleepeystar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I have combination skin, but there are days when my skin needs that extra boost of TLC from the crazy air conditioning in tropical Singapore. For a few nights in a month, I add 4 drops of this into my moisturizer and massage the concoction into my skin. It doesn't break me out as I don't use it that often and it relaxes me whenever I use it. It costs about S$98 but it is worth it, it is not that greasy and it is simple to use. I recommend those with dry skin to get this. It comes in only one size in Singapore but in Hong Kong DFS, I think they come in 2 sizes and it is significantly cheaper, so do check out Kiehl's there.