April 17, 2014 | 883 users online

Treatments - Jolen Creme Bleach

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2010 9:20:00 PM More reviews by muffinlove

I'm 37 and I have been using this since about 13. I must be half munchichi (furry toy monkey from the 80's) because my fair skin in covered in black hair. The worst combo. Lucky for me my mother let me in this when I was young. I used this on my face, chest, stomach, arms, and lower back for years. Thanks to laser and getting older I don't have as much to bleach as when I was younger. I hate mixing it up and the smell and leaving it on for 10 minutes and the cleanup. But I love the results. Now I mostly use it on my arms about every 4-5 weeks.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2010 6:18:00 PM More reviews by mandiluk

I've been using this product for months. I had to use the bleach very frequently at first. I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact that I was using a different bleach (one from Sally Hansen to be exact) and I was switching to this one. I used it maybe, once every 4-5 days. Now I'm using it every 2 weeks or so. And I've been using less and less! I bleach my upper lip, and all the hairs are lighter than before! AMAZING! Def give it a try!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2010 3:10:00 PM More reviews by Skye333

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm on the fence, there are positives and negatives...

Good - bleaches to a natural looking colour. not to much hassle, reasonable price (you can also reuse the stuff you used, if in the same sitting), I got no allergic reactions maybe a mild sting but I'll tell you in a minute (I also use the mild formula)

What wasn't so good: I used it on my 'tache, arms and arounf my stomach.

On the area above my lip the bleach effect lasts not so well, my arms last really well, stomach not very well at all.

The bleach seems to make the hair weak maybe? and I guess falls off, the re-growth is back to my normal dark colour :( (very quick on my stomach - maybe showing 2 days after bleachinjg and a bit less so on my lip), on some the hairs just grow fast so the roots are dark.

This is so dissapointing (though not the products fault about natural regrowth and the bleached hair isn't un-bleaching or anything), it doesn't look good seeing the dark bits on my lip and stomach and I don't want to bleach to much, because I'm wary of the chemicals.... I'll still use because it looks better than before bleaching though.

It takes me 20 minutes to bleach the hair, the box says ten and leave on for 5-10 more if unbleaches, I have to leave it on for the maximum - by the end it doesn't hurt or look red, but I'm aware of some discomfort on the skin (fine when I take it off right after). This isn't too long, but believe me can add up when doing two arms (but their lasting), however it's a trade off for the mild formula.

Good product, but be aware if the negatives. I will say what else could you do for hair on your arms? Shaving would be awful, trimming no for noticible hairs etc. Has this re-growth happened to annyone else? My only big worry is the possible effect of the chemicals...

Otherwise I could just bleach all the time to keep the effect, the instructions also don't say how long to leave between bleaches of the same area

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2010 8:50:00 PM More reviews by nellja

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Burns, burns, burns. Carcinogenic. Makes hairs yellowish.

I used to cover my entire arms with this stuff (in my early teens). The pain was unforgettable, and unforgivable.

If, like me, you have fine, long hairs on your arms, a *much* better solution is just to use a trimmer. I use a bikini trimmer on the lowest setting. Even though the hair is cut mid-shaft, it doesn't look odd, particularly with a tan.
This also is painless and doesn't cause damage to your skin/follicles.

By the way, it burns because it's bleaching your hair *underneath your skin*. That's how the effect lasts more than a day. Wrong.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2010 11:59:00 PM More reviews by thaliaforeverr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Today I read ALL the reviews before I finally decided to lighten my black eyebrows with JOLEN bleach, and i finally decided to go with it and i LOVED the results!! it did take me 15 mins tho lol, i put it on for two mins, then took it off, then kept it on for 5 then off then again longer and it did lighten up eventually and now they are a nice medium to light brown!
oh and its best if you just scrape it off and reuse the same formula rather than using more and more!!
thanks to everyone here, i now have beautiful brown eyebrows!! :) (oh and no one could even tell that they were lightened because they look so natural! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2010 1:36:00 PM More reviews by foldedhands

My eyebrows have always been noticeably too dark for my hair/complexion (they're definitely bright black, while my hair is medium auburn and my skin is, well, white) and it's always bothered me but I've been afraid of what I thought was the alternative: orange brows and burned skin. Luckily, Jolene did a pretty good job. I do have these strange instant pimples (ARE they pimples?) near the end of one eyebrow; I'm hoping more don't pop up, but I sometimes used to get the same thing from waxing. I also put it on my lip and it worked very well/uniformly.

You have to be very careful with the eyebrows, though... I think because the little hairs are quite thick, it's hard to spread evenly and I think the "brown" phase is very easy to skip for those of us starting with dark hair. Mine stayed black for quite a long time and then started to lift VERY quickly all of a sudden. They're pretty red now but that's fine with me because my hair happens to be red. (Also, the creme is a bit expensive in Europe... I bought a jar for around 8 euros. It's not that annoying to pay a bit more, though---it's a pretty essential product, if you have insecurites about dark hair, and it's going to last a very, very long time.)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2010 12:33:00 AM More reviews by bmst

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I used this on my stomach since I have some dark-ish hairs leading to my belly button. I really like it, it doesn't always get it 100% but it sure comes close. I will buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2010 12:45:00 PM More reviews by karen137972

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I lighten my medium brown hair to medium blonde and use this to lighten my dark eyebrows. Works like a charm! No orange tint. I personally use1/8 tsp. powder and 1/4 tsp cream, leave on for 2 min., rinse off and mission accomplished. If you have not used before start with one min. intervals so that you don't overdo it! Highly recommend. It's cheap, quick and very easy. Using such a small amount, I would repurchase but will probably never need to.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2010 1:57:00 AM More reviews by shorty87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have been using this bleach for several years now, mostly for my upper lip hair and occasionally for hair on my stomach (if it's summertime). While the product itself does do the job, it does have some flaws.
1) It smells
2) It stings my eyes
3) It stings my skin
4) The preperation is annoying
5) The spatula and the little plate are pretty flimsy
6) The bleach vial is hard to open.

I don't know why but it only lasts a week for my upper lip hair but it'll last for a few weeks on my stomach hair. It's a hassle having to re-bleach every week. However all these problems are worth it for hiding facial hair! Waxing is 10x more painful and rips off my skin. Threading and tweezing takes too long. This Creme Bleach is still the best bet for taking care of unwanted embarrassing hair. The price is decent too, less than 10$. A jar lasts me about 3 months, maybe more. I would defintely be repurchasing this over and over again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2010 1:06:00 AM More reviews by Baano

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

There's a reason why Jolen is used all over the world. It's cheap, easy to use and gets the job done relatively quickly.
I'm of South Asian descent have fairly light facial hair due to taking birth control, but I still have some visible hairs on my chin and sides of my cheeks, jaw line and temples.
I use the mild version with aloe vera and it works like a dream. All the places I put Jolen look like there's nothing there. It's all a very faint blonde colour. I just have to be sure to put on moisturizer on RIGHT AWAY and a bit extra than I usually put on because the product can be drying especially if you have dry skin (it is bleach after all)
The smell is annoying, but I think you have to remember ... it's bleach! It's not supposed to smell good. This is less obnoxious smelling than say Nair (which burned my legs and arms years ago). And you can yield various amounts depending on how much you need as long as the ratio is 1 part Accelerator Powder to 2 parts Bleach Cream.