November 23, 2014 | 1024 users online

Treatments (Face) - Jolen Creme Bleach

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2011 10:12:00 AM More reviews by Phanatical28

As a young girl, I saw the jar of Jolene and had only excitement. Once I sniffed it, however, I was terrified my skin was going to burn off! But fear not! Your skin will not burn off. This product is extremely easy to use, despite the very strong scent, and to me it is mostly non-irritating. I would suggest using gentle cleansers and NOT touching an exfoliator of any kind the day before, of, and after you use this. It can definitely irritate skin, but I've found when used correctly it doesn't harm my normal-to-oily, normal sensitivity skin. Also, as another reviewer suggested, I would do this a day or so before a big event so that in case any redness or irritation pops up, it will clear up before you need to get dolled up. I've never broken out from it either. Overall, a great find, and at quite a reasonable price too, especially for the amount you get.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2011 10:01:00 AM More reviews by desiree77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for so long that I don't even remember how I first started using it. As a pretty hairy medium-skintone person with jet black hair this was a GODSEND that saved me from embarrassment throughout my teens and early adulthood - until the advent of affordable laser treatment.

Others have done a great job of reviewing, so no need to echo those. I've used this on my face, body, and at one time to put brassy streaks in my black mane :-) Here's my breakdown:

(+) Cheap
(+) Effective - blends into my skintone well
(+) Mostly fool-proof - unless you leave it on far too long
(+) Helps clear up my skin :-p

(-) Can be irritating - don't use harsh cleansers or exfoliators for 24 hrs before or after (i prefer to use it on uncleansed skin...offers skin more protection). Wash off well and immediately put on soothing moisturizer/oil.
(-) some hairs bleach more quickly than others (usually the finer ones)
(-) the stuff stinks!

TIPS: Best used a day before an event so that all redness and chance of irritation are gone. I actually find that my skin the following day has a "glow" and feels more smooth and moisturized. And I have fewer pimples for several days after!
*NOTE:Once hair regrows, you'll have to re-bleach. Over time this means you have a long halo of blonde fuzz about your face that is noticeable in its own way. I just use a personal trimmer to keep that down ;-)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2011 9:28:00 PM More reviews by livinglaughingloving

HG..at least for at the moment. As a girl with dark hair sometimes it can be a little bit embarrassing when you start to notice hair above your lip. I finally decided to get this! I got it in the smaller box just to see if I liked it and that was $5.46. I think it will last me awhile but when I do repurchase I will def be going for the larger size, better value. As far as the product itself goes...I absolutely love it! You can't see my upper lip hair! I recommend this a million times if your like me and are not willing to wax or laser yet :)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2010 9:20:00 PM More reviews by muffinlove

I'm 37 and I have been using this since about 13. I must be half munchichi (furry toy monkey from the 80's) because my fair skin in covered in black hair. The worst combo. Lucky for me my mother let me in this when I was young. I used this on my face, chest, stomach, arms, and lower back for years. Thanks to laser and getting older I don't have as much to bleach as when I was younger. I hate mixing it up and the smell and leaving it on for 10 minutes and the cleanup. But I love the results. Now I mostly use it on my arms about every 4-5 weeks.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2010 6:18:00 PM More reviews by mandiluk

I've been using this product for months. I had to use the bleach very frequently at first. I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact that I was using a different bleach (one from Sally Hansen to be exact) and I was switching to this one. I used it maybe, once every 4-5 days. Now I'm using it every 2 weeks or so. And I've been using less and less! I bleach my upper lip, and all the hairs are lighter than before! AMAZING! Def give it a try!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2010 3:10:00 PM More reviews by Skye333

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm on the fence, there are positives and negatives...

Good - bleaches to a natural looking colour. not to much hassle, reasonable price (you can also reuse the stuff you used, if in the same sitting), I got no allergic reactions maybe a mild sting but I'll tell you in a minute (I also use the mild formula)

What wasn't so good: I used it on my 'tache, arms and arounf my stomach.

On the area above my lip the bleach effect lasts not so well, my arms last really well, stomach not very well at all.

The bleach seems to make the hair weak maybe? and I guess falls off, the re-growth is back to my normal dark colour :( (very quick on my stomach - maybe showing 2 days after bleachinjg and a bit less so on my lip), on some the hairs just grow fast so the roots are dark.

This is so dissapointing (though not the products fault about natural regrowth and the bleached hair isn't un-bleaching or anything), it doesn't look good seeing the dark bits on my lip and stomach and I don't want to bleach to much, because I'm wary of the chemicals.... I'll still use because it looks better than before bleaching though.

It takes me 20 minutes to bleach the hair, the box says ten and leave on for 5-10 more if unbleaches, I have to leave it on for the maximum - by the end it doesn't hurt or look red, but I'm aware of some discomfort on the skin (fine when I take it off right after). This isn't too long, but believe me can add up when doing two arms (but their lasting), however it's a trade off for the mild formula.

Good product, but be aware if the negatives. I will say what else could you do for hair on your arms? Shaving would be awful, trimming no for noticible hairs etc. Has this re-growth happened to annyone else? My only big worry is the possible effect of the chemicals...

Otherwise I could just bleach all the time to keep the effect, the instructions also don't say how long to leave between bleaches of the same area

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2010 8:50:00 PM More reviews by nellja

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Burns, burns, burns. Carcinogenic. Makes hairs yellowish.

I used to cover my entire arms with this stuff (in my early teens). The pain was unforgettable, and unforgivable.

If, like me, you have fine, long hairs on your arms, a *much* better solution is just to use a trimmer. I use a bikini trimmer on the lowest setting. Even though the hair is cut mid-shaft, it doesn't look odd, particularly with a tan.
This also is painless and doesn't cause damage to your skin/follicles.

By the way, it burns because it's bleaching your hair *underneath your skin*. That's how the effect lasts more than a day. Wrong.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2010 11:59:00 PM More reviews by thaliaforeverr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Today I read ALL the reviews before I finally decided to lighten my black eyebrows with JOLEN bleach, and i finally decided to go with it and i LOVED the results!! it did take me 15 mins tho lol, i put it on for two mins, then took it off, then kept it on for 5 then off then again longer and it did lighten up eventually and now they are a nice medium to light brown!
oh and its best if you just scrape it off and reuse the same formula rather than using more and more!!
thanks to everyone here, i now have beautiful brown eyebrows!! :) (oh and no one could even tell that they were lightened because they look so natural! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2010 1:36:00 PM More reviews by foldedhands

My eyebrows have always been noticeably too dark for my hair/complexion (they're definitely bright black, while my hair is medium auburn and my skin is, well, white) and it's always bothered me but I've been afraid of what I thought was the alternative: orange brows and burned skin. Luckily, Jolene did a pretty good job. I do have these strange instant pimples (ARE they pimples?) near the end of one eyebrow; I'm hoping more don't pop up, but I sometimes used to get the same thing from waxing. I also put it on my lip and it worked very well/uniformly.

You have to be very careful with the eyebrows, though... I think because the little hairs are quite thick, it's hard to spread evenly and I think the "brown" phase is very easy to skip for those of us starting with dark hair. Mine stayed black for quite a long time and then started to lift VERY quickly all of a sudden. They're pretty red now but that's fine with me because my hair happens to be red. (Also, the creme is a bit expensive in Europe... I bought a jar for around 8 euros. It's not that annoying to pay a bit more, though---it's a pretty essential product, if you have insecurites about dark hair, and it's going to last a very, very long time.)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2010 12:33:00 AM More reviews by bmst

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I used this on my stomach since I have some dark-ish hairs leading to my belly button. I really like it, it doesn't always get it 100% but it sure comes close. I will buy this again.