NARS Semi-Matte in Heat Wave

4.6

on 7/21/2009 8:12:00 PM

This lipstick is the only one I use as of right now. I love how I can build my coverage with this lipsick, I can go from natural pink lips to bright red. When I want a natural look, I first take the stick and dab it on to my entire lip (shape of the stick helps fill in corners), then I rub a tiny bit on my finger, and dab it on to my lips. Then I take any lip-moisturizing stuff and blend it out. Your lips will look a natural pink. When I want the full colour I apply it with a lip brush or just apply it like it is. For some ladies, it may feel very dry, but the good thing is that it stays on forever. When it's too dry, you just have to take a lip brush and treat it like you're kneading bread, play around with the lipstick a little, and the color should go on easily. The price isn't too bad, but it is on the expensive side. The one and only thing I don't like about it is that the cap comes off easily, so be sure to close it tightly each time. I MAYBE will purchase this product again, not because it's not good, but because there's this other brand I want to try out. :]

on 6/28/2009 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I love reds and this includes red lipsticks. This is an orangey/red lipstick that is somehow wearable as subtle. Definitely a hit.

on 6/25/2009 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I tried on about 30 lipstick colors at Sephora before I decided on this one. I'm incredibly minimalist about makeup - this is the first tube of lipstick I've bought in 5 years. I wear some liquid eyeliner on my upper lids when I want to look fancy, and that's it.

I wanted a color that would make me look AWESOME! And this does that. I put on chapstick first, then rub this stuff on my lips with my fingertip. I have olive skin and brown hair, and what can I say...this lipstick is rad city. I'm a cheapskate, I buy my clothes all second hand, and I didn't hesitate to spend 24 bucks on this tube of lipstick. Cute indie look FTW!

on 3/10/2009 4:31:00 PM

Gorgeous color. Love this one. I do add a bit of gloss because the texture is so matte but it's just a lovely color and very heavily pigmented. Best applied with a brush or finger smudged, IMO, and with very little other make-up. NARS lipsticks are so fine.

on 10/25/2008 5:24:00 AM

Received in swap. This is an orange-red and can be described as a 'retro' type of lip shade. It is fun and bright and flirty. I find the staying power is just ok, sort of peels off, but that could be my funky lips. I often pair this with a cat-eye / minimalist eye makeup for a pin-up girl, classic sort of look. Love it.

on 9/14/2008 6:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I TOTALLY LOVE this lipstick. I just got into reds recently--I always loved them but thought I would look ridiculous with red lipstick. Anyways I am totally digging this red which I can pull off despite the fact that its a bright orange red, in your face, not for the faint of heart, matte finish lipstick. I wore it today with a bright multicolor print dress and got a bunch of stares and some compliments. It looks great with my pinkish LLL complexion (refer to profile for pics). I will post a profile pic with Heat Wave soon, and hope that it will help those who are in the NC25/NW 25 range. All in all I like its texture a lot (it doesnt rub off--on plates, straws, teeth or anything else) and stays put for a good ten hour day. It brightens up my whole face, and when used with MAC sunbasque, its ethereal. I would repurchase this till I die and I really believe this lipstick is truly unique. I havent found a dupe, even in MAC (Lady bug isnt this great, and neither was Lady danger). I highly recommend, and at 24 bucks its a steal for the uniqueness and high quality.

on 7/31/2008 1:00:00 AM

I am a bit obsessed with red lipstick, but this might be my favorite. Red Lizard is nice too. Shu Uemura makes beautiful reds. But this is one of the best combinations of gorgeous pigment and staying power I have ever seen. If you exfoliate, lightly moisturize and blot excess moisture prior to application, it is the perfect consistency [halfway between a cream and matte] and stays forever and ever. The pigment is absolutely outstandingly rich and seems as though it would be flattering on a wide range of complexions. I think it's definitely worth at least a try on in Sephora.

on 3/26/2008 2:50:00 AM

I LOVE Heat Wave. It's a very bright, intense orange-red color that really pops against my pale, PPP skin. I am a little lighter than MAC NC15, and this color looks great with just some mascara, nude shimmer eyeshadow and a barely perceptible pink cheek. It brings out the rosey tones in my skin somehow, and makes me look flushed. So apply the blush very sparingly.
The color applies very matte on me, so I dab a bit of Aquaphor on top to make it a little more creamy and comfortable to wear. NARS really should work on their semi-matte formula, it's quite drying. On the plus side, it applies very precisely directly from the tube, and really stays put.

on 1/26/2008 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A beautifully intense and bright orangey-red. I was looking for the lipstick equivalent of Exhibit A and I think I've found it in Heat Wave. On my lips it's extremely loud and bright. I will say though that I think it'd look fabulous with most colourings. So far I have worn it with Exhibit A, Taj Mahal and Everyday Minerals Siesta (dc) with great results. It has awesome staying power and it looks great both as a stain blotted onto my lips or applied normally. However, you really have to have patience with it due to the dryness of the formula. Maybe it's designed that way so it has staying power, I don't know, but regardless of whether I wear lip balm, the lipstick just dries my lips out. I don't have the patience these days to be blotting and so forth (I originally reviewed this some time ago - it's now September 2009). I want to swipe and go. I can do that with my MAC lippies and I own some MAC lippies that are similar to Heat Wave. Sadly I won't buy again and have given this away. :|

on 11/29/2007 1:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is my "summer" red. I really love this colour, but I recommend "dabbing" it in with a finger to give it the stained look. Great staying power.

Popular Lipsticks