NARS Semi-Matte in Heat Wave

4.6

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Come Closer Darling..Want to know what's best kept secret of any Retro Lovin Hottie? It's a tube of this; Hot Damn, Cats Pajamas, House on Fire, 50's Fire-Red Lipstick, that's what! Use it alone or to heat up any drowsy red you have lying in waiting. Put on that LBD, grab your vintage Chanel patent bag and you're a ringer! I never go without it in my kit, ever! An HG for absolutely anyone who wants to rock a red, and an absolute must have for darker skin tones. As for comments on a dry texture, what! Do you really want to look like Courtney Love? When it comes to reds lasting, creamy mattes are always at the top of my list and this one goes the distance. LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU FRANCOIS!

* As a Union TV/Flim makeup artist, I never endorse any product that I do not truly believe in.

This is an AMAZING opaque orange-based red color and, at least on me, it leans more towards coral red than clear orange-red (MAC's Lady Danger, for example). In comparison to MAC's Lady Danger, the color of "Heat wave" is much more playful and the texture/great pigmentation allows you to control the intensity of the color - from vivid "lollipop red" to strikingly bright coral/orange red. The texture is quite dry but application is easy and staying power is, of course, excellent

Bright vivid orange red - not for when you're feeling shy! More playful and lighthearted than true reds or blue reds, though. I find the matte formula too retro looking, but mixed with a clear lip balm it makes a fantastic lively l/g, with color intensity at your control. The color is hard to dupe, so I'd buy it again. For summer or for darker skinned, warm complexions year round.

This lipstick is the only one I use as of right now. I love how I can build my coverage with this lipsick, I can go from natural pink lips to bright red. When I want a natural look, I first take the stick and dab it on to my entire lip (shape of the stick helps fill in corners), then I rub a tiny bit on my finger, and dab it on to my lips. Then I take any lip-moisturizing stuff and blend it out. Your lips will look a natural pink. When I want the full colour I apply it with a lip brush or just apply it like it is. For some ladies, it may feel very dry, but the good thing is that it stays on forever. When it's too dry, you just have to take a lip brush and treat it like you're kneading bread, play around with the lipstick a little, and the color should go on easily. The price isn't too bad, but it is on the expensive side. The one and only thing I don't like about it is that the cap comes off easily, so be sure to close it tightly each time. I MAYBE will purchase this product again, not because it's not good, but because there's this other brand I want to try out. :]

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I love reds and this includes red lipsticks. This is an orangey/red lipstick that is somehow wearable as subtle. Definitely a hit.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I tried on about 30 lipstick colors at Sephora before I decided on this one. I'm incredibly minimalist about makeup - this is the first tube of lipstick I've bought in 5 years. I wear some liquid eyeliner on my upper lids when I want to look fancy, and that's it.

I wanted a color that would make me look AWESOME! And this does that. I put on chapstick first, then rub this stuff on my lips with my fingertip. I have olive skin and brown hair, and what can I say...this lipstick is rad city. I'm a cheapskate, I buy my clothes all second hand, and I didn't hesitate to spend 24 bucks on this tube of lipstick. Cute indie look FTW!

Gorgeous color. Love this one. I do add a bit of gloss because the texture is so matte but it's just a lovely color and very heavily pigmented. Best applied with a brush or finger smudged, IMO, and with very little other make-up. NARS lipsticks are so fine.

Received in swap. This is an orange-red and can be described as a 'retro' type of lip shade. It is fun and bright and flirty. I find the staying power is just ok, sort of peels off, but that could be my funky lips. I often pair this with a cat-eye / minimalist eye makeup for a pin-up girl, classic sort of look. Love it.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I TOTALLY LOVE this lipstick. I just got into reds recently--I always loved them but thought I would look ridiculous with red lipstick. Anyways I am totally digging this red which I can pull off despite the fact that its a bright orange red, in your face, not for the faint of heart, matte finish lipstick. I wore it today with a bright multicolor print dress and got a bunch of stares and some compliments. It looks great with my pinkish LLL complexion (refer to profile for pics). I will post a profile pic with Heat Wave soon, and hope that it will help those who are in the NC25/NW 25 range. All in all I like its texture a lot (it doesnt rub off--on plates, straws, teeth or anything else) and stays put for a good ten hour day. It brightens up my whole face, and when used with MAC sunbasque, its ethereal. I would repurchase this till I die and I really believe this lipstick is truly unique. I havent found a dupe, even in MAC (Lady bug isnt this great, and neither was Lady danger). I highly recommend, and at 24 bucks its a steal for the uniqueness and high quality.

I am a bit obsessed with red lipstick, but this might be my favorite. Red Lizard is nice too. Shu Uemura makes beautiful reds. But this is one of the best combinations of gorgeous pigment and staying power I have ever seen. If you exfoliate, lightly moisturize and blot excess moisture prior to application, it is the perfect consistency [halfway between a cream and matte] and stays forever and ever. The pigment is absolutely outstandingly rich and seems as though it would be flattering on a wide range of complexions. I think it's definitely worth at least a try on in Sephora.

Recommended for Medium Skin