October 25, 2014 | 1750 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 5/18/2012 4:36:00 PM More reviews by alright2009

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

In all honesty I will say I thought I was getting a primer, I bought it off ebay and it was listed as a "primer", but I certainly can see it as only a base or concealer. I HATE the packaging. I have long fingernails and right away just trying to apply with my fingers was a mess, it got under my nails, and I hated it! So I used the end of my rat tail comb to get a small amount out and put in the palm of my hand. I then have to swirl it around to warm it up to make it easier to apply to lid. I see some people here use it for a concealer for under thier lash line, it creases up horrible if any even gets under my eyes while I am applying it to my eyelid. I find it rather a pain to put on for my makeup routine which I have down to about 30 minutes, more if I am doing a dramatic look, this does hold the brighter colors of shadows, {pinks, rose hues} but I could skip it all together. It may work for some, just now something I want to tangle with every morning for my routine! A tube and softer texture would make it a easier item to use, regardless of what it is.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2012 2:42:00 AM More reviews by PiMehMeh

I am on the fence about this product. I have used this both with and without an eyeshadow primer (I used Victoria's Secret VS PRO Lasting FX Eyeshadow Primer). I have dark under-eye circles, some dark lines along the outer corner of my eyes, and occasionally some pink/redness on my eyelids, and I loved that the skintone shade takes care of my uneven skintone around my eyes. It doubles as a base and a matte concealer.

While it does keep my eye makeup vibrant for hours especially with primer, my eyes tend to feel very heavy toward the end of the day if I wear any eye makeup (my eyes get prematurely tired, if that makes any sense). It particularly felt even heavier on evenings that I was wearing this on my lids all day, and I suspect that it might be the texture of the cream formula, which is somewhat stiff in the jar and a little too drying on the skin over time. It helps to have the lightweight primers I have since they help moisturize my lids, but I do have heavy eyes as is, and really don't want to pile more different products on it and make it feel even heavier.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/28/2012 1:45:00 AM More reviews by makeupjunkee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Not to be redundant, but this is a base, not a primer. As other reviewers have mentioned, this evens out my eyelid skin tone, which tends toward red, and I do swipe a bit under my bottom lashes where I can get that red-rimmed look. I usually put this on and then do my eyebrows, giving it a bit of time to 'set' before I put on my shadow. Although it works well enough, I still prefer Clinique's Touch Base, so will purchase that again next time.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/12/2012 1:33:00 AM More reviews by vwbenzo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Here is my experience with this product: I don't have oily eyelids at al, and have had great results with UDPP, TFSI, NARS e/s base and most recently I've been loving the LORAC Behind the Scenes primer. Looking for a cheap dupe I came across this thing. At first application it seemed to have a lot of promise. A very creamy, blendable formula that neutralized the look of my eyelids. However as the day went on it creased on me pretty badly, something that none of the afore mentioned 4 primers have done. It may have only been $7, but it's going back. I'd rather put that $7 toward LORAC's $20 primer which lasts forever and comes in a squeeze tube.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2012 10:58:00 PM More reviews by genevieveeely

I really like this product. I'm asian so for those of you who have mono lids, hopefully this will help! I find that this base keeps a hold of my eyeshadow very well for quite a few hours. It does crease, but only after about 5-6 hours. My tip would be to apply urban decay primer potion before applying this and it should work better! I would definitely purchase this again. It is not costly and it's worth what i pay. I recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2012 9:31:00 PM More reviews by nicolegryne

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I think this is a good eyeshadow base. Everytime I use it, my eyeshadow pops and looks great. I apply this after using udpp and then use my eyeshadow. I've never seen my matte or baked shadows pop until using this. This is definitely a keeper.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2011 9:03:00 PM More reviews by miomega

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff sucks. In my opinion, it is repackaged concealer. It creases and does nothing to prevent shadows from bleeding and fading. I'm still a fan of NYX though, just not this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2011 6:47:00 AM More reviews by Stefaniey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Bought this without realising it's a BASE not a primer. Read up and have found it's actually what I need. I use Too Faced Shadow insurance which is colourless on me but NYX base covers my veiny lids for a great base. Good vibrancy improvement, so cheap. I don't love the pots but it's great for the price.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/12/2011 5:41:00 PM More reviews by ashram11

I was looking for a cheap eye shadow base and came across this one. It works good for a short period of time maybe 6 hours top then my eye shadows start to crease and fade. I wouldn't buy it again but for the price its worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2011 6:44:00 PM More reviews by mignondee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have all three of the NYX bases and I like them all. I think people give it less stars because they are using it wrong, or they compare it to UDPP or Shadow Insurance (which I personally don't like), but it is not comparable to those because they are two different products. The NYX is a base...not a primer. No...it is not the same thing. Primers help to smooth out the surface that you are using it on...a base helps the shadows stick and be more vibrant. If you use the primer of your choice, (I like UDPP, Ruby Kisses *dupe for UDPP*, or Lorac), then apply the NYX base, I think that you will like it. It gets 5 stars from me...

PS. I am a freelance MUA who has been in the game over 10 yrs. (Just an FYI) :-)

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No