November 23, 2014 | 952 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 5:50:00 PM More reviews by aswiftmistake

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have not found a highlighter that is as versatile, or as lovely as this one. It is really pigmented, which means you have to be cautious when you are applying this, but it also means that you can basically use this as a pigment, use it on lips, eyes, and it gives a perfectly glowy shine. It is not an icy colour, nor is it metallic, it is a perfect vanilla buttercream fine shimmer, and it can last a long time if you are careful not to drop it. Unfortunately because it is packed in a pan, it is also fragile. It is worth the money if you are looking for a good, reliable highlight.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2014 4:29:00 PM More reviews by icanhazcheezburger

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was debating between Nars Albatross and this, and I'm glad I chose this. It's less $, and I feel that the color of this suits most if not all skin tones. It blends in perfectly with mine, and gives a healthy dewy glow. I sweep it across my cheek bones, down my nose, center of my forehead, cupids bow and chin, sometimes I highlight my brow bone. SO natural, beautiful and effortless looking.

Also, if you're going to order this online anywhere that requires you to pay S&H...I suggest ordering it from Nordstrom for free shipping.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2014 3:59:00 PM More reviews by Elektraza86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I heard so much hype about this highlighter I was starting to get tired of it. It's a high lighter people no big deal. Calm down.

One day I was strolling through my London drugs and saw the balm cosmetics all 40% off. I saw one left. It's regular price is $27 CAD. Well I wasn't going to ever pay that so I grabbed it while there was only one left.

Oh. My. God. It's just a highlighter it's so beautiful and I don't even know why. It's the perfect light cream color with the perfect amount of gold and the perfect amount of shimmer. It's very pigmented and buttery. It doesn't apply chalky or unevenly. I use a real techniques highlighter brush very light handedly. It looks great. I use it on the brow bone and cupids bow. The best part is that it stays put and true all day. You also get tons of product. Same as a mac bronzer.

I'm very happy I purchased this. I would pay full price for this highlighter. I also own the Becca shimmering skin perfector in moonstone which is actually the same color. It's also a cream and it's very subtle and beautiful. It's gives me bumps on my face though so this is my new replacement.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 9:38:00 AM More reviews by Caish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is just a beautiful highlighter. Its a gorgeous champagne colour with fine shimmer, not glitter, and i use a real techniques brush to lightly dab it on top of my cheek bones after using nars laguna and a peach blush by mac and then use a smaller brush to apply in the inner corner of my eyes. I feel like i can get away with using this day and night. I have a limited edition rose gold highlighter by elizabeth arden that i prefer to use at night thats too much for the day, but if I'm going out during the day and want my makeup to take me to the night ill use the mary-lou. It has a powdery formula and the lasting powder is decent. Wayne goss did a review on youtube about thebalm and have this products a tick of approval which sold it for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 1:24:00 PM More reviews by MagnoliaState

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Lovely highlight. I like that it isn't white or off-white like many higlighters. It is sand-colored or champagne colored. I think it looks nice both sheer or more heavily applied for dramatic looks. It looks good on cheeks, eyes, tear ducts, nose, cupid's bow.

I had a hard time deciding between this and NARS Albatross. Albatross is a little more yellow. I also think it is a little more sparkly/bright. I REALLY liked Albatross though. I think the coloring of Mary-Lou looks better on different areas of my face. I thought Albatross only looked good on my cheekbones. So the versatility and the MUA boards helped me decide to go with Mary-Lou! When I went to Amazon to order, I had both in my basket. The price of ML had dropped to $16 since I added to my cart. It was a sign! Ha!

This is one of the best packages that I own. It is VERY sturdy. The mirror is great! Cute graphics. Stays SHUT!

A TON of product in this - likely a lifetime supply. I think they could reduce package size and cost.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2014 12:58:00 PM More reviews by TheItsyBitsy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received this as a sample in a beauty subscription and ignored it for months. I recently got into doing contouring and I am so glad I have this now! I use it literally every day for an ultra fast simple low-makeup look.
The texture is super fine so it multitasks well as a highlighter and eyeshadow. The pale honey colour blends beautifully when applied with a light hand and is extremely flattering when applied heavy. It wears very well over the course of the day and despite my oily lids it not seem to creep into my crease like a lot of other shimmery powders.
Would buy again and am impressed enough that I am now looking into their other products.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2014 2:58:00 PM More reviews by LorettaBellxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Beautiful highlight!!! I use it as a eye shadow!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2014 12:19:00 PM More reviews by Lforde46

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received an itty-bitty sample of this in my Birchbox and it's enough to last a lifetime. Shimmery but not glittery and very finely milled so it's easy to apply small amounts and then build. In the winter I would only use this on special occasions in a "c" configuration around my eye socket. I pat a tiny amount on top of my cheekbones to my temple and above my brow with the RT Setting Brush then pat below my brow with my smallest eye shadow brush. It is SUPER shimmery, so I can't emphasize enough that a small amount is plenty. If you start painting this stuff on you'll be disappointed and will think it won't work for you. If you don't see it enough on first application you can always go back over it a second time.

I found this MUCH easier to apply than Nars The Multiple in Copacabana. I made a real mess with that stuff and had to cover it up and start over.

The color looked silvery-white to me. Other reviewers stated it was too yellow or gold toned and I can see that in the photo, but in real life I didn't see that at all. In the summer I would switch to Betty-Lou Bronzer instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 11:13:00 AM More reviews by m33m4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

Gorgeous highlighter. Shimmery without that draggy glitter look. A complimentary colour for nearly all skin tones (works just as well on my friends with pale, peach undertones as it does on my medium beige yellow undertoned skin). The consistency is very smooth as it pretty finely milled like thebalms eyeshadows, and the product is very buildable. This highlighter is my "thin lizzy". Not in the sense that it would work as a foundation, bronzer, eyeshadow, morphine drip, dishwasher and whatever else thin lizzy claimed. But, it is my most multi-use makeup product. It lifts your cheeks, works beautifully under the brows, or as an all over eyeshadow, and even as a pretty blush above bronzer. Layering on top of my darker eyeshadows gives them a beautiful sheen as well. I personally wouldn't use this as a nose or Cupid's bow highlighter as it's too shimmery, but anywhere from your cheekbones and above it can do no wrong. The packaging is really cute, if you're into that gauche vintage benefit type (I am) and the price is actually very reasonable (I never say this about anything). Especially considering it should last you a year or more (I don't do light makeup ever, so trust me). In this digital selfie age I feel I should also point out that it photographs beautifully. Highly recommended.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2014 11:04:00 AM More reviews by VMV

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Gorgeous product! Only need a little amount. I have been using this as an eyeshadow as well. Only thing I don't like is that mine is very hard to open.. It's not expensive, there is a lot of product in the packaging.