Revlon Quick Dry Top Coat

4.1

oje

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This top coat works well for me. I have a brand new bottle of Seche Vite, but I still got some shrinkage with a couple polishes and it didn't end up as shiny as I wanted it. I don't get any shrinkage with the Revlon top coat. It makes the polish look flawless, even if there were issues with application. It just smooths everything out. I LOVE the high shine finish.

I will say it dries slowly when compared to other quick dry top coats, especially Seche Vite. But it dries quick enough for me. I always do my nails at night and never have sheet marks (and I always did with OPI's top coat.) It definitely does not dry to a hard finish in 60 seconds like it claims.

It's a nice formula, not runny but thin enough that it goes on like a dream. My bottle is only about a month old, though, so it may thicken up with time. Although I paid like $4.50 for it at Target, so I wouldn't be too upset if I had to buy another bottle in a couple months.

After trying many different brands and formulas over the years searching for the perfect top coat, I'm happy I've finally found this one. It's the perfect one for me.

Edit: I had to take off a lippy for formula inconsistency! The second bottle I bought bubbles up no matter what I do! Not to mention the brush barely reaches halfway down the bottle. The packaging is god awful! I loved this stuff at first but then I used too much and bought a new bottle, and I'm kind of disillusioned. I've switched to Poshe and am happier with that for now.

on 5/10/2012 8:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I picked this up after getting SO frustrated with how quickly Seche Vite went from AWESOME to a thick, goopy mess. I've had it for 6 months or so now, and the bottle is *just* running out - and I do probably two manicures a week at least. Its STILL of a thin consistency, not AS thin as it was, but definitely easy to apply (just hard to reach the bottom of the bottle!). I don't like Revlon polishes as a rule, but this quick-dry top coat is pretty stellar. Doesn't dry as fast or as shiny as Seche Vite, but I'll take the slightly longer dry time over tossing half a bottle of Seche out just because it becomes unusable! And this cheaper, too :)

on 4/21/2012 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love this. I'm not committed enough to put in the extra work required with the Seche Vite and this stuff works just fine.

Best top coat I've used - it does dry quickly for me and helps even crappy polish stay longer. If I dab a bit on my ends every day I can extend a manicure to maybe 5 days, when without it I might get two.

I skipped this the last time I polished my nails and they lasted one day. I'd used it the week before with the same exact polish and that lasted six days, until I went swimming. Huge difference. Will repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Everything about this is just "OK." I am a former Seche Vite believer, but once I got halfway through the bottle (like everyone else) I found out it was worthless because of how gummy it got ASIDE from the fact that its near impossible to reach the bottom of the bottle. I think its ridiculous that I can't use half of a product especially when that wasn't all that cheap . Also, I finally realized the nailpolish I lost on the tips was actually from SV "shrinking" the polish. I then bought this b/c of the great reviews and the stream of SV converts. Well, first I bought the quick dry liquid on accident which I will get into later. After experiencing the immediate dry with SV, it was really difficult to transition to this. Those polishes that I had to use more than 2 coats... forget it. I would put this on 2 hours before bed and still wake up with marks the next day. It only helps drying time if you use 2 coats. Additionally, it doesn't do anything to extend the life of my polish. I just felt really indifferent to this product. It's better than nothing, but not by much. Incidentally, the quick dry liquid actually dries my polish much quicker, but I was really looking for a topcoat/quickdry in one (so I could also reapply daily to extend the manicure) -- so this didn't work for my purposes (especially b/c it also leaves oil behind, on purpose, like a cuticle oil) so I really didn't like using this as a polish finisher.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I just bought my third bottle of this top coat and I really love it. It leaves my nails very shiny and helps the polish underneath last a little longer than without it. The reason I gave this 4 lippies is because on some thicker nail polishes it takes much longer to dry and even after it feels dry sometimes I will still see dents in my nails an hour or so late. Also when I use about 3/4 of it it starts to get goopy and too thick to apply making my polish look uneven. Overall however, I would recommend this product and out of Seche Vite, OPI, and a few Sally Hansen top coats I have tried this is my favorite.

on 1/30/2012 11:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I'm always on the search for a quick dry top coat. I've tried Rimmel, Sally Hansen, Orly....but this stuff actually works! I'm always getting the urge to do my nails at bedtime, and previously would wake up with smudged nails and would have to start all over. Last night I applied my new OPI (Barefoot in Barcelona-LOVE) and applied this and woke up this morning with great nails!

on 1/29/2012 5:15:00 PM

This does the trick for me. Fast drying, nice and shiny. It's thinner than other popular top coats (such as SV), but I actually prefer that.

on 1/15/2012 8:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Great top coat. No problems with it at all. It's a classic and i'm sticking to it. Definitely not over priced.

on 1/15/2012 2:26:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Update March 30, 2012: This top coat has started to get thicker at about half-way into the bottle. This means a) needing more product to prevent any uneven or patchy applications, b) slower drying time, c) minor shrinkage. I plan on buying some polish thinner to use on my previous top coat (Quo by Orly) as I found it out-performed this Revlon top coat. If the thinner works well on it then I'll return to that product and will not repurchase Revlon. However, I still think it's worth checking out, especially if price is a concern. Lowered rating from a 4 to a 3, but am retaining the "yes" for repurchase because I would purchase it again if I were in need of a top coat and was unable to find the other or if I was strapped for cash.

What It Claims:
" Sets to a hard, lustrous finish in 60 seconds
Plasticizers and an acrylic polymer help safeguard polish from nicks and chips, while promoting flexibility
UV filter helps maintain color fidelity
DBP, Toluene and Formaldehyde Free"

Claims - True or False?
1) Sets hard in 60 seconds: False
2) Lustrous finish: True
3) Prevents nicks and chips: Depends.
4) Maintains colour of the polish: True

Packaging:
Revlon's top coat packaging is fairly well-designed, at least for practicality. The cap is longer and the bottle has a cylindrical shape that tapers towards the top. Both of these features makes unscrewing the cap very easy and it feels comfortable in my hands. Other bottles tend to be rectangular or possess an apple shape, both of which I find hinders the ease with which I am able to open the bottle.The bottle is a frosted glass with the label and ingredients printed onto the glass itself. The cap has a much cheaper look to it, consisting of a white plastic with a mirror-like reflective band at the base of the cap with the Revlon name. The brush is fairly long and slender, similar to China Glaze and Essie brushes. While I don't love its small size, it doesn't seem to hinder the finished results and is still easy enough to work with.

Consistency:
This is a thinner consistency for a top coat, but not significantly runny. Flow is fairly good for the consistency as well. The website claims that it takes just one minute for the top coat to set and harden, while the back of the bottle cuts that time in half. While it doesn't harden completely within these parameters, it is dry to the touch within at least a few minutes. The downside is that it doesn't harden very quickly, although it should be set within 30 minutes depending on application method. This isn't nearly as fast-drying as my previous fast-drying top coat, but the consistency is much easier to work with. I will note that this dries down quite fast when not using a base coat along with it. I really love how glossy it leaves my nails compared to my previous top coat. One issue I have with this formula is that it does seem to be a bit prone to picking up colour from the nail onto the brush. This doesn't disturb the actual finish, but is a bit annoying. I do believe that a wider brush would likely solve this issue. Another way to make sure it doesn't drag is to either let the polish completely dry before applying the top coat or applying it right away - the less time between all coats the better. Make sure that you have plenty of top coat on the brush as well; I dip the brush in and then run one side of it onto the opening once, then press the product onto the nail near the base so that it can spread, then do a few strokes to disperse it over the nail.

Wear time:
Overall, I don't think that this top coat extends the wear of my polishes in a significant manner. The gloss finish lasts quite a while. I haven't seen any chips while wearing this top coat, so while it may not help significantly with tip wear it does seem to prevent some of the damage that can be done to the polish.

Bang for your Buck:
I paid about $7.00CAD for this 14.7ml bottle. This is about the same price as most other drug-store brands (in Canada), and the amount given is quite good. I do believe that the price is well-set for this top coat.

Final Consensus:
Based on initial observations, I do quite like this top coat. It doesn't wow me in any way, but it does provide a nice finish and dries quickly enough most of the time. The thinner formula looks like it will not cause shrinkage, but if this does occur I will be sure to update!
- Pros: Affordable, good cap for easier opening, goes on glossy, great thin consistency, seems to prevent chips
- Cons: Takes a while longer to harden and dry completely, can pick up nail colour, brush is on the small side, doesn't seem to definitively extend wear.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 1/5
Packaging Quality: 4/5
Would you buy this product again: Yes.

on 1/14/2012 9:24:00 PM

Adds a shiny, protective top coat. My manicure lasts at least 2 days longer with this top coat.