Calamine Lotion

4.6

Price: $

Price: $

Active Ingredients: Calamine (6.971%) (skin protectant), Zinc Oxide (6.971%) (skin protectant) Inactive Ingredients: Bentonite, Calcium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Water (Purified)

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've always had serious trouble keeping my bikini area rash free after shaving (and waxing is worse for me, so don't even go there.)

I've tried EVERYTHING! believe me! I have seriously thin sensitive skin and terribly coarse fast growing hair. I'm cursed.

Calamine lotion is the BEST for preventing and or relieving razor burn and red bumps. I just apply it after shaving, let it dry, and it completely prevents razor rash. And when i forget to use it and do get razor rash, it helps get rid of it FAST.

Do not confuse this with caladryl (which contains a numbing agent that can cause allergic reactions) or caladryl clear (which will not help whatsoever). Go with the super cheap generic stuff! The caladryl stuff might be great for skeeter bites, but not for acne or razor burn.

It's a little messy to apply with the consistency being like water. Cotton balls just get weird and sticky. I've found those little cosmetic wedges that we all used to use before we discovered the amazingness of the foundation brush works VERY well.

Yes, it's lame that it'll leave the area a light pink chalky color after application. However, it kinda rubs off after a while (no it will not permanently stain your unmentionalbes though). So, by the time you're showing off your bikini area, it should be gone. (and if it's not, lightly brushing it off with a CLEAN towel is easy enough.) Personally, I think the chalky residue potential is far less off putting than a bikini area covered in nasty red icky bumps.

I don't have acne, but given how similar razor bumps are to acne, i would expect this to be amazing on acne as well. It dries up ickiness, while making the rest of your skin feel calmed, cool, and protected from further irritation. If I had known about this when i was a teenager, it would have saved me from the horror of benzoyl peroxide.

on 1/31/2010 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I get these odd bumps on my neck and upper back. I think its irritation from my hair products but I can't figure out what causes it because no matter what I use/don't use, I get these bumps. They are almost a cross between acne and a rash, but don't itch. Well nothing I put on them worked, until I tried calamine lotion! I rub a thin layer on at night and let it dry before sleeping. In the morning, they are much better. After consistently using this, they go away. I use the Rite-Aid brand because its paraben free.

on 1/29/2010 3:13:00 AM

Skin: Other, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is a really wonderful spot treatment for me. I don't reach for it often but it's a must have in my "emergency skincare arsenal". I use this I when I have a few whiteheads that I want to bring down in size and this does the job of shrinking them considerably overnight. I apply a small amount to my problem areas with a q-tip. If applied on my t-zone (with a cotton ball), this also helps me control my oilies. I've only done this a few times on very hot, humid days, because for me, it doesn't go very well underneath my makeup even if I try to apply a very fine layer. I've also applied Acne.org BP or my clinique salicylic acid spot treatment gel and then calamine over it (or vice-versa works fine), and I've had success with that too. Make sure you purchase the Calamine, not the Caladryl Clear. I thought it was just a clear version of calamine lotion but it's not.

I don't know how this alone would compare, but I thought I'd point out that calamine is one of the ingredients, or rather the main ingredient in Mario Badescu drying lotion, (the other being alcohol/salicylic acid...which explains why this combined with my clinique spot treatment gel gives me great results) So if you're interested in trying the MD drying lotion but find it too pricey, which I did, save yourself some money and give this a try instead.

I mainly use this at night, and if I'm alone because I will end up with light pink spots on my face, or if applied all over, I just look like a character from Twilight. lol

on 12/30/2009 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

AMAZING! I have been going to the dermatologist for years now and I love the regimen I'm on--avar green cream in the day, metrogel at night (I have a rosacea/acne combo--wonderful...NOT.) but whenever I have a giant booboo or even a breakout on my chest, back, or shoulders--I reach for my calamine lotion! It dries without irritating and is super cheap. Highly recommended and found pretty much everywhere!

on 12/29/2009 9:01:00 PM

This is great for acne. After years of prescriptions and OTC treatments, I tried using calamine lotion as a mask for my (cystic) acne. My face was messed up enough it took a while using it as a treatment every night for everything to clear up, but it has and I have been acne free for a long time. I would suggest the generic brand that just has glycerin and calamine as active ingredients, not a topical pain reliever.

I think this could put dermatologists out of business!

on 10/8/2009 7:42:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I remember being covered in this stuff when I had Chicken pox as a child and never though about using it again since.

Recently I came across it in Boots and just picked up a bottle - which may I add was a bargainous 2. My skin really does well with Zinc based treatments so thought i'd try this as that is basically all it is.

After trial and error I found leaving it on for a long period of time (e.g overnight) was too drying for me. I found the best for me was to:
1) wash my face (I removed makeup previously to this)
2) apply a good amount all over the face with a cotton pad
3) leave for a few minutes then rinse off.
I don't tone as I class the calamine as a sort of toner step but I do moisturise.

It does a good job of evening out skin tone and making pores smaller - oh and most importantly dired up some spots which were taking ages to go. I think it is a good preventative measure and will SLOWLY dry up any spots. I think it is more gentle than other spot treatments but works better in the long term. May work faster if you use a zinc based facial wash too.

If the idea of using the lotion doesn't thrill you, Lush also make a soap containing calamine called Freah Farmacy.

I've tried all the DS brands; Neutrogena, Clean & Clear, Clearasil etc. and I find that none of them have done much to clear up my blemishes. Then on a whim, I saw a bottle of calamine lotion in my mom's cupboard and decided to give it a try (I was desperate at this point!) The next morning I woke up to find that I only had 2 pimples! It completely dried out and cleared up my acne overnight! No product specifically targeted for acne treatment has been able to produce these results. I am surprised that there aren't more reviews for it, as it works so well!

on 8/23/2009 1:16:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I noticed no reviews on just plain calamine lotion, so I thought I'd add my two cents. About two weeks ago my skin went insane, not even TTOTM. I kept developing cystic like blemishes almost every day and I had no clue why. I was desperate and bought proactiv, nothing. Tried extra strength BP, nothing. I even went so far as putting lactic acid directly on the spots which just made them raw while still being under the skin. It just kept getting worse! Of course I picked at them and then that made the problem even harder to cover up and heal. After a few days of trying everything, I tried calamine lotion, sice I have luck with zinc and it also contains clay. I put it all over my face with a cotton round, and then used a q-tip to concentrate on the bad spots. The next day my skin was much less red, especially the new spots. I did this for three nights, cleansing with noxzema first to get off my heavy duty makeup, then used witch hazel, then the calamine. The (let's count them!) 8 horrible cysts on my face plus little ones (excessively clogged pores I believe) are gone, save for two which are shrunken to barely nothing and no longer hurt. I'm doing this every single night because obviously my body is freaking out and I won't allow that to show on my face. This has been my god send. I have not experienced any drying but then again my face is very oily. This is especially good on blemishes that you've picked at. Heals them and flattens them out almost instantly. It also helps with razor burn, kp, and general redness on the face including that from acne scars (I've been experimenting).

Popular Treatments (Face)

Retin A
Lemon Juice

Top Rated Treatments (Face)