October 24, 2014 | 1741 users online

Top/Base Coats - Essie - Matte About You

rated 3 of 5 on 11/12/2010 9:41:00 PM More reviews by katchimo

This is a great finish for people who balk at spending money on matte nail polishes, like me. It dries quickly, which is a plus, but the formula is tacky so its tricky to apply. I find that the matte formula can streak and make the polish on my nails look uneven and horrible. The matte trend doesn't look great on pastel and most cream colors which I prefer over glitter polishes. However, it doesn't look great on darker polishes and polishes with shimmer or glitter. When I'm done using this, I'll probably look into purchasing colored matte polish instead, to see if the quality is better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2010 8:26:00 PM More reviews by Intermission

This nail polish is very unusual, in a good way.

the matte looks great on cream nail polishes- some colors look much better then others, and some look better then their original color.

i didnt think i would like the texture, i thought it would feel like fine particles all over the nail but it makes no texture and is actually very silky to the touch ..when dry lol.

it also dries the base polish faster and keeps it from chipping longer, almost a full week
i noticed some wear on the tip of the nail but thats no big deal compared to massive chips.

the effect it give is as if the color is your natural nail!
so a lot of people will look and ask what kind of polish you have on!

the price - i think is crazy for a nail polish! i would have never paid the amount for any plain old color.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2010 12:51:00 AM More reviews by skwerlie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Awesome product! It really does add versatility to your nail polish collection, though some colours and finishes work better matted than others. I particularly enjoy the satiny look of matted shimmers, it's a really nice effect. It's also a much better deal than buying individual matte polishes, and if you tire of the matte look you only have one unwanted product hanging around instead of a whole collection of different colours.

I haven't noticed this topcoat being more prone to chipping, but my nail polishes always chip pretty quickly anyway- I am a bit rough on my nails. It's not incredibly fast-drying though- I had a few mishaps when I first used it because I assumed it was dry once it had clouded up to a matte finish... you do have to give it a little longer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2010 7:38:00 PM More reviews by jejkim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I <3 this mattifying polish. Matte nail polishes look gorgeous with the right looks and this product solves so many probs in one little bottle. Picked this up and, contrary to instructions, you can use it over a top coat and it'll still give you the same matte effect with your nail polishes. Turns any and all colors and formulas into matte heaven.

This just exponentially broadened my nail polish collection and I love the instant matte effect it gives. Will look great with Fall/Winter polishes. HG product!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2010 9:22:00 PM More reviews by Lonz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

So... this stuff is pretty neat, huh. It has effectively doubled my rather extensive nail polish collection, because the shade is slightly lighter once this is on. Plus of course, the matte texture gives you a completely different finish. <3 it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2010 12:17:00 AM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I like matte things. Matte eyeshadow, matte foundation, matte nailpolish. The last one is like, impossible to find. UNTIL THIS PRODUCT. It's so cool, it mattifies anything. If you don't want your nails to look shiny, this will do it. I know most people like that shiny glittery shimmery look of nail polish, but if you don't, you should get this. Or if you just want to see what a polish looks like, matte-style. Pretty awesome. I wish they made a product like this for eyeshadows. One downside: 8 bucks is usually more than I pay for a bottle of nailpolish, but oh well.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2010 10:02:00 PM More reviews by DitaVee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This does a great job initially but does tend to start looking tatty after only a couple of days. I tend to get sick of polish after two or 3 days anyway so that's not too much of a problem!

Looks good on light or sheer colours (uploaded image of a french using nude beach for example), but amazing on bright or dark shades. I got a great deal on this, so worth the price.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/23/2010 2:03:00 AM More reviews by msbailie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I like the mattifying effect, but it chips too easily to make it worth the price. It didn't even last a day on me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 1:30:00 AM More reviews by BlueSkiesAbove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a great matte topcoat. It transformed my nails into a smooth matte finish. I am very satisfied with the results. This is a great addition to my nail polish collection (which is HUGE by the way) so its a pleasure to be able to add this in anytime I want to try one of my old colors with a new finish. This is a quality product overall, worth the price. As far as matte topcoats go this beats them all!! Very easy to use and dries almost instantly. 5 lippies

rated 1 of 5 on 8/7/2010 8:33:00 PM More reviews by thenerdykatie

Not impressed. It made my nails chip and looked like an old dry paint job. Not a fan.