NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene, Glycol, Glycerine, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinal Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Dis-Butydimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan, Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methylhdantoin-2-Imide, Phenoxyenthanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polusilocone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa, Glycuosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocpherol, [ /- (May Contain): CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides)].

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I purchased this foundation about 3 weeks ago in the colour "Santa Fe". This is definitely not what it is cracked up to be!!! It makes your skin look horribly shiny and starts sweating off after about 2-3 hours wear!

I started off my daily make up routine by using the MAC studio moisturiser, I let this set for around 5 mins, then used the NARS light optimising primer and let this set for another 5 mins. I then applied the NARS sheer glow foundation using my finger tips (as recommended by the NARS mua and various other mua's) The formula is very smooth and blends onto the skin really nice and doesn't feel to cakey "thick" on the skin.
I then topped up areas where I had any blemishes/pimples but it didn't even cover these up properly! I had to use the NARS concealer to dab onto the areas which needed it (which took a lot of time and effort) After this very lengthy process I set the foundation using the NARS loose powder, I then applied a little bit of blush.

I applied my makeup at 7:30am in the morning, at 10:30am I looked in the mirror at work and it was horrendous!! My nose was greasy as hell and the foundation had pretty much slid off my nose, my skin looked really patchy and just awful! Good job I brought my make-up bag so I can could top it up!! :-O

Another thing I disliked about this foundation is the fact you have to buy the pump separately ! I mean the foundation is expensive enough around £31.00 without having to spend an extra £3.00 on a fr**@!ging pump!!!

I wouldn't recommend this foundation to anyone especially people with acne/blemishes! I had to top my make-up up about 3 times during the day :@ where as with a foundation like Estee Lauder double wear you can apply it in the morning and it will still look perfect at 10pm at night without having to touch it!!!

I really, really wanted this to work for me, but after trying to make it work for a month I've now accepted that I still must hunt for my HG foundation. I did a lot of research online before purchasing, and decided to go with Deauville. Though it says it's a neutral balance of yellow/pink tones, I think it definitely is more yellow, and I was surprised that the shade was actually perfect for me! (I had been lead to believe that I should be using a pink-toned foundation... but now I think I should seek neutral or even yellow toned foundations!). The texture of Sheer Glow is lovely and with a Real Techniques face brush OR a beauty blender it went on really well. I also really like the coverage it gave. In certain light my face looked flawless...... but the reality was, in bright light or daylight I looked cakey as f***. (I should add that is was cakey both before AND after powdering with the Ambient Lighting powder... which is my HG setting powder.)

I tried misting MAC Fix+..... it was still cakey.
I tried applying the teeniest tiniest amount.... it was still cakey.
I applied a layer of my favourite drugstore foundation (Rimmel Match Perfection) then a layer of Sheer glow.... it was still cakey.

Now I have given up and have even given the bottle of Sheer Glow away.
So diasappointed!

The search for my HG foundation continues!

I'm really disappointed with this foundation. It isn't glowy at all, i feel as though its incorrectly named... I have drug store brands that do a better job of making me 'glow'. It emphasises my dry patches and doesn't look great when it dries. I've tried applying with a beauty blender and a brush and theyre both pretty rubbish. It matches my skin tone perfectly which is annoying, because the texture is just really not great.

This is my favourite everyday foundation! I have had this foundation for over a year now, and I am still only halfway through the first bottle even though I use it about 3-4 times a week! I love this foundation for school, as it provides enough coverage to cover any small blemishes or redness, but it still looks really natural and it lasts the entire school day (about 8-9 hours) with a small amount of powder without caking or going patchy on my dry skin.
The only gripe I have with this foundation is that when it is first applied it doesn't look great on my skin; it tends to make my (already quite dry) skin look even drier in certain areas, but after about 30 minutes it looks great, and it tends to look even nicer on my skin as the day goes on. I do not use a primer with this foundation at the moment, but I have used the NARS Pore Refining Primer and the Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow underneath it in the past, and it looked great on top of both, but at the moment I am enjoying using this foundation without a primer, as I don't think it needs one unless you have extremely oily skin.
I have numerous high end foundations and tinted moisturisers, such as the Charlotte Tilbury ones and the NARS Tinted Moisturiser, but this is the foundation that I can always rely on when I need some extra coverage, but still want a very natural look.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Good luck.

Emphasised my dry patches and I hardly have any, I was also matched for the wrong shade so now I have a $69 bottle of "Punjab" shade just at home to collect dust. The foundation bottle also oxidised which made the foundation turn an ugly orange. Would not recommend. Would not repurchase. However if you do be sure the SA fits you for the right shade (check all lightings!)

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This is a nice foundation, but it provides ZERO coverage. I had a few red cystic acne marks around my chin, and when I went to work and looked in the mirror it looked as though I was wearing absolutely no makeup. It did not cover them at all, even with 2 layers. Also, I am very oily, and this made me an oil slick within 2 hours. I filled up an entire blotting sheet.

A positive is this has not made me break out that I can see, but I don't really see a point in continuing to use this if it doesn't cover or even out my complexion in any way. If you have flawless and perfect skin, this will be a nice addition, but I have BB creams that provide better coverage than this crap. It's like putting a translucent oil veil over your face.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love the consistnsy of the foundation medium coverage and is build-able, the lady at Mecca Maxima gave me the wrong shade but I've found a way to work with it. it is very expensive in Australia $72 and a extra $4 for the pump. worth the money only negative is that it clings to my dry patches.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Very oily & very acne-prone, NC20-25, neutral-toned, shade:Fiji.
It can go light-med to medium-almost full coverage depending on amount and application. This blends better and looks more skin-like than Sheer Matte. This has a satin-matte finish which really looks like skin, doesn't look like a mask like other foundations. If you get dry patches, use an oil-free moisturizer first.

I dot it on my face with clean fingers, then I use a buffing brush and lightly buff it to hide my pores. It doesn't sit on my skin when I buff it on, it feels like skin. If you are oily like me, lightly buff on an oil-controlling translucent powder on top.

My HG foundation especially for evening, without SPF there is no white cast on photos. It hides redness really well. I get compliments on my smooth and poreless skin when I use this, even when I actually have huge pores on and around my nose. No breakouts, I have been using this for almost a year.

This may be pricey for some but you do not have to use a lot to get good coverage. A pea-sized amount can get you light-med to medium coverage.

This doesn't control oil, but it doesn't make me more oily.
I've tried a lot & I recommend these two translucent powders that are great at controlling oil without looking powdery:
- Nars Light Reflecting Pressed Powder
- Mac Blot Powder

Why didn't I give this 5stars? They sell the pump separately. The packaging sucks. The bottle is not good for travelling. I brought it on a trip and we flew there by plane. The top of the cap cracked, possibly during the flight (cabin pressure??) and it made a mess in my makeup bag. I'll buy the pump and try it out on my next trip.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Eh.

I am an oily girl with legitimately no dry patches to speak of, yet this emphasized all of my dry patches I never knew I had. It wasn't the worst foundation of all time, but it would require work to wear this daily in my opinion. I did enjoy the finish, but it's extremely 'flaw' flattering so you would have to exfoliate before wearing this almost guaranteed. And of course, due to it's dewy nature this foundation is oil haven which I can't really blame the foundation for as almost all dewy foundations will end up like this.

In my opinion this is very, very similar to L'oreal True match. Personally I haven't heard many people make that claim, but I have really noticed a similar finish and texture in True Match and Sheer Glow.

If I'm ever feeling rich I might consider repurchasing and just wear this on special days where I'm willing to put that skin regime in to make it work, but, it's unlikely. Sorry Nars, you've been disappointing me in every aspect except your blushes lately.

Video Reviews & Tutorials