October 25, 2014 | 1867 users online

Eyeliner - Maybelline - Line Stiletto liquid eyeliner

rated 3 of 5 on 12/17/2013 12:29:00 AM More reviews by sameenelahi821

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Ah, Line Stiletto. My former HG. We have been through many a hurried morning together. I actually bought two tubes of this stuff before CVS didn't have black one day and I had to switch to Milani Ultrafine, which one-upped Stiletto in a few ways.

I think this is the liquid liner that really taught me how to properly apply liquid. It took a few weeks, but after daily use the short handle and felt tip led to me figuring out exactly what works and what doesn't, and for that I have to thank Maybelline. This is a really easy liquid liner to work with, as far as felt tips go. The felt tip is a little broad compared to others, but it doesn't get in your way since you should be using a pretty slight hand when applying liquid anyway.

That being said, I would say one should graduate from Stiletto after figuring out what works because it just doesn't hold up well. Not only does it come off with water, but it comes off when the wind makes my eyes tear up a little. This is not what you want to be wearing if you're going out all night. Or even all day, for that matter.

The color isn't particularly bright or dramatic, either. It's really not a "black" black - it's dark, but the color was reminiscent of a marker that's just about to dry out. You would have to go over it multiple times if you wanted a true "black", and the more layers you put on the more likely it is to flake off. Yes, it flakes off after a while if you're not careful.

The easiness in application is really not a selling point for me anymore, since I've officially learned how to apply liquid. But if you're still learning, Stiletto is a great option. Since it's not totally permanent you can quickly remove it and try again, and you have a lot of time to sit there and really perfect it with a cotton swab before it dries. Since the color isn't particularly pigmented it's also forgiving - no one will notice if you make a little mistake or if your wing tips aren't quite sharp. But if you're already a seasoned liquid liner pro, you can probably afford to go for something more dramatic, lasting, and vivid. I would highly recommend Milani Ultrafine for people who are looking for the single greatest liquid liner to grace their eyes.

TL;DR:

PROS:
- Easy to apply - short handle offers precision
- Good for beginners - color is forgiving and wipes off easily for re-dos

CONS
- Not bright or vivid. Certainly not "blackest" black
- Comes off easily. Not waterproof. Bothersome if your eyes water - will require re-application

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2013 7:05:00 PM More reviews by kirito

I've heard both good and bad things about this eyeliner. I never really liked liquid liner, but the cream eyeliner I was using at the time was just smudging way too much, so I decided to give liquid liner a second try. I love Maybelline products, so I went with the Line Stiletto in Black.

I do like the felt tip applicator, since I find brush applicators too flimsy, and I can't control the line as much. Also, I can make either a thin or thick line with the applicator, which is nice. The liner is quite opaque, but I do sometimes have to go over the line a few times if I really want it to be black. The main problem I have with this product is the fact that when I first got it, a lot of product was on the brush, and I would really have to wipe off the excess. I've had it for about a month, and now, when I want to get more liner on the brush, I have to close the lid and shake the tube vigorously to get more product back onto the brush if that makes sense. It's not a huge problem, but it's a bit inconvenient.

As for staying power, it's quite good. The liner is a bit smudged by the end of the day, but I have oily eyelids even with primer, so it probably won't be a problem for people without oily lids.

I would probably re-purchase this eyeliner, but I do really like my Dolly Wink eyeliner, so until I run out of that one, I'll be keeping the Line Stiletto as a back up liquid liner.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2013 4:35:00 PM More reviews by danchung811

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The only eyeliner that I can use. All smudge-proof water-proof gel/pencil liners failed me even with UD potion - I mean, literally all! Liquid liners that dry like a glue are the only type I can use. But even then, most liquid liners are too harsh for everyday makeup. However, this one goes on so light and thin that I can use without looking too much 'made-up.' Finally, exactly what I need. Hope Maybelline will never discontinue this.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2013 12:42:00 AM More reviews by Carela26

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a very nice liquid eyeliner. It stays on and does not smudge. The trick is to take a bit of the excess off the tip of the felt applicator. you don't need too much to apply a perfect line. You can also blend it with your finger, if you want a smokier look. If you're not accustomed to liquid eyeliner this may not be for you.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/14/2013 9:44:00 AM More reviews by Melissa6705

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wouldn't buy this again. It has a nice wet look and it's easy to apply, however the slightest touch to your eyelid and it's smudged or completely off, id have to reapply it or just take it off all together.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2013 8:59:00 PM More reviews by Marlenejane

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product was........okay

I feel like I haven't had much luck with any liquid eyeliner I try. The felt tips always give me trouble, either their too stiff or too wobbly. I would like to try a brush tip next and see how that goes as I'm a huge fan of a cat eye and have a pretty steady hand.

I bought this and it does the job but it takes a lot of extra work which I'm not into. A lot of product comes out on the felt tip...or is it a sponge? It's a very strange material as it's flexible and soft. Anyway so much product comes off that I need to wipe excess off on my hand or a tissue which is such a waste. It doesn't do a bad job at giving me the look I want to achieve but I just feel like theres something better out there! It lasts pretty well but will come right off if you rub your eyes or god forbid cry haha it's happened to me a few times.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2013 8:02:00 PM More reviews by xxFebruaryxx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this eyeliner. I'm not a usual user of eyeliner because I have trouble applying it. This eyeliner has been the easiest eye-liner for me so far. I can even do wings with it, and I am someone who has trouble doing a straight line.
Having said that it is not a waterproof eyeliner (not a bad thing for me, because if I mess up I can wash it off), and it takes awhile to try.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/30/2013 2:52:00 AM More reviews by Hollie08

This was the first liner I used that I could actually do a wing or cat eye. Its very easy to use for beginners because Of the felt tip, you have a lot of control. The down part is by the end of the day it's either patchy, or almost completely gOne.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/30/2013 2:43:00 AM More reviews by krsgarcia

This used to be my Holy Grail eyeliner. The fact that I had so much control when doing my cat-eye was a big plus, but after being on my second eyeliner I noticed a lot of flaws.

Pros:
- Easy to apply - you have total control
- Colour is very opaque
- Glides on easily

Cons:
- Takes awhile to dry
- When I would curl my lashes after applying the eyeliner, some of the eyeliner would transfer and the original line on my eye would be patchy
- If you have only lids, this won't last long
- The felt tip is a little tricky if you're a first-timer

Unfortunately, because I do not enjoy the staying power on this liner, I won't be repurchasing this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2013 9:34:00 PM More reviews by Iphy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I like this liner. The brush is strange, but it works for me somehow.

Pros:
Nice, steady lines with ease for me
Doesn't dry out
Lasts all day
No smudging/transfer

Cons:
I don't like the shiny/wet look it gives

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No