Almay One Coat Nourishing Mascara (Thickening)

3.7

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I mostly like this mascara. Mostly. Not enough to buy this again, unfortunately, and here's why: I NEED my Shiseido mascara primer before this or it has no oomph but most of all it gives me panda eyes. I have long lashes and after wearing this for a few hours I notice that there is always black on my brow bone right under my eyebrows. It wipes off easily with a fingertip, but then my shadow goes too. Not cool.
On the plus side it goes on smoothly and easily, doesn't flake or clump, stays put relatively well but comes off easily with mostly water and a bit of cleanser. Makes my lashes look full and lovely but I hate that it smudges. I'm going to end on a positive note: Almay doesn't test on animals and I love that too. I've never seen an animal with makeup on, nor have I seen one carrying a makeup bag. Go Almay :)

Pros: Gentle, no smell to irritate eyes

Cons: Had to put on 3-4 layers to make it look like I was wearing anything at all, did not volumize at all (I have long lashes to begin with, I need thickness!), was impossible to take off, yet managed to migrate to under my lower lashes during the day, despite that I didn't put it on the lower lashes.

A disappointment.

Consider Physician's Formula Organic Volume (or something like that, cannot recall the exact name) if you are looking for a gentle mascara. I found it had a bit more layering (and volume building) ability but washed off easier and smudged less.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is my go-to mascara, and not just because it's easy to find & inexpensive. Many mascaras cause my eyes to swell or get puffy, but not this one. The "blackest black" is really that. Despite being a "thickening" mascara, it does a better job lengthening, which is why I give it an overall rating of 4. However, it is buildable without getting clumpy. I wish the brush bristles were closer together. I've had no issues with transfer, even if I'm crying my eyes out, but I don't wear mascara on my bottom lashes. Overall: good performance at a great value.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

Great mascara! its does what i want a mascara to do in terms of volume and length and doenst smudge or flake. i still prefer maybelline full n soft WATERPROOF but i havnt been able to find that lately so this is a great substitute for it

Got this at a ridiculously low price ($.19 for 2 pack) so I figured I had nothing to lose trying it out. At first I was very impressed with it because it gave my lashes volume just like my HG mascara (CGLBV). It was a bit hard to layer (is that why they call it one-coat?) but I wore 2 coats regardless. It didn't smudge or flake, but I noticed that it didn't hold a curl AT ALL. My lashes were just about straight by the end of the day. That's a huge pet-peeve of mine, so it's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

I'll continue to use this on my bottom lashes, but not sure I'll go back to it for the top ones.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I picked this up when I was experiencing a lot of lash loss and breakage due to a previous mascara. Almay is always touted as a gentle mascara so I thought it would be good to use while my lashes recovered. The brush is similar to Maybelline Great Lash (which I hate) so I didn't expect much drama or volume from it. The color is dark black but goes on lightly; One Coat is not a good name for this mascara unless you want a very natural look. I use 2-3 coats and still don't get a big effect unless I do a lot of curling before. This said, it does last all day without flaking or smudging but even this non-waterproof version is a pain to get off- I have to use 2-3 cotton pads with eye makeup remover (my normal Neutrogena Oil-Free) before the shower and then another 1-2 after the shower (which I never do with other mascaras). Doesn't damage my lashes but also doesn't provide the look I like. Removal is too intense to make me want to rebuy.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

What a great find! I tried this randomly after my tube of Loreal Voluminous was drying up and I needed to find something that doesn't sting my dryish eyes. This fits the bill. I love volume, and this delivers that to my already long lashes. The color is a very rich, inky black-- super dark and glossy, especially for a drugstore product! Plus, it's hypoallergenic. I love it. It reminds me of Fresh Supernova mascara, without the stinging eyes or high price tag.

My eyelashes are blond, stick-straight, and HATE to hold a curl. I usually tend to stick to waterproof formulas to hold the curl I achieve after using my curler, but today I was at the store, and decided to purchase this. I was pleasantly surprised! Not only did it NOT kill my curl in my lashes, but it was a nice dark black color and added a ton of volume (I love big, thick, dark lashes). I'm disappointed in myself for not trying this sooner. For the price, quality, and performance of this mascara.... and torturing my lashes by using only waterproof formulas in the past... this is really amazing stuff.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

My opinion:
~ The brush application was really smooth!
~Made lashes stick up and stand out!
~ Made lashes look fuller after the 2nd coat!
~ A third coat might get too clumpy
~It goes on a bit wet and may need to
wait a bit to dry completely
~Made my lashes look pretty and healthy
without the drama, full without the clumps!
This mascara truly surprised me. I expected less from it.
It is a perfect every day mascara or day time work mascara.
You can't go wrong with this one, unless
you are looking for something more dramatic.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This mascara is just okay. As a person who tends to go for more dramatic looks, this product just doesn't do enough for me. I tend to only use it when I'm in a rush or when I'm lazy because I personally feel the thickening quality isn't all that great, but it doesn't clump which is nice. I also bought the color Blackest Black, and I found that it's actually kind of brownish. I just prefer more thickening formulas and pretty black pigmentation, but if you are someone who likes looking a little more natural then I would recommend this mascara. The best part about the mascara though is that it's not tested on animals, and that's something I feel quite strongly about, although I will not repurchase.

Popular Mascaras