September 19, 2014 | 1258 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - translucent loose powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2011 5:31:00 PM More reviews by pensopera

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Laura Mercier translucent loose powder (1 oz for $34 usd) is a smooth finely milled setting powder. The product feels very silky and is easy to works with with a small of dust powder flying compare to Coty Airspun. But I would still need to retouch my powder around 4 hours later because my face would becomes shinny. Plus, there is no scent or perfume which is a good thing. Traveling with the package is a little difficult because it can be quite messy to open and close and apply the loose powder. On the other hand, the package is very chic, modern and sturdy but it is best to leave the product at home and bring a pressed compact powder instead because of the powdery mess for a touch up on a go. However, compare to other loose powder packages, Laura Mercier loose setting powder package is one of the best one in the market because the lid closes the product tightly without the powder leaking out and looks very chic and modern. The whole 1 oz jar lasts me for 8 months with a daily use of 1x per a day. Overall, Lara Mercier loose setting powder is a great product to use for setting makeup because it is very silky and finely milled.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2011 9:04:00 PM More reviews by AlyssaJD

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Hey you dry skined girls, this will not work out for you. This is truley the first powder that has accentuated any dry areas i have. I got this as a free sample so no loss (laura mericer is great for online free samples by the way!) But this even made my undereye area look dry?. My friends even noticed... hope my review will save some of you some money!

I cant comment on staying powder and whatever else but LM is a great brand but this really didnt work out

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/11/2011 5:28:00 PM More reviews by rach90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

AWFUL!
This is the first LM product I've used. The most expensive and it doesn't do anything for me. Even using a very light hand, it tugs at my evenly applied foundation, especially on areas where I have blemishes! My foundation lasts better without it, it accentuates my pores to the point they look like craters.

If it wasn't SO expensive, I'd have not felt so enraged and appalled.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2011 1:50:00 AM More reviews by PinkSyringes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this to set all my makeup and it leaves my face looking soft and not oily. I think when I use this my makeup stays longer. I prefer to apply it use the velour puff instead of a brush. As of right now I would buy again because it leaves no trace of it on my face and is not sparkly like BE featherlight setting powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2011 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Hollynla

this is a nice loose powder mostly because it's so finely milled that it does not leave that "powdery" look to your face. It softens the look a bit and takes away the shine, but I don't think I would purchase it again because of the price. I think there are some fairly good drugstore powders that behave the same for a fraction of the price.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2011 7:00:00 AM More reviews by decoydream

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

This translucent powder is great for setting foundation and concealer! It doesn't change the colour of your foundation at all, but instead gives it a very soft and smooth finish (without any chalkiness even if you do put a fair bit on!). Unfortunately, my skin is so oily and acne prone that it doesn't manage to keep the greasiness away for more than 3-4 hours. But i have a mini one of this so i can bring my mini kabuki brush with this for touch ups during the day after some oil blotting :) Although i would buy this again, i doubt i would ever need to because so little lasts a very long time!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2011 11:57:00 PM More reviews by mayyami

This has lasted me ages. I bought it at least a year or two ago and am about half way through it. I use it daily to set my foundation & only need a small amount to do so. True to it's name, it doesn't really change the way the foundation looks besides mattifying it slightly. I dont find myself getting too oily using it (perhaps on a hot summers day).
Might try another brand when I finish this one just to compare.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/4/2011 6:22:00 PM More reviews by celesteakabeaddict

Typically, I am a Laura Mercier fan, but the talc in this powder clogged my pores and caused my skin to break out. If only they made a talc-free version!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2011 5:53:00 PM More reviews by Cristy1970

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Been using this for about 4 years now--LOVE it! I understand why it wins so many awards and so many makeup artists love it so much. It sets your makeup, but never looks powdery or dry, just smooth and polished and beautiful. I use to set my LM mineral powder, too. It has no fragrance and comes in a sifter tub. I apply it by pressing it into my skin with the LM velour puff, then I brush off the excess. Gaaahh-juss!A little price-y, but worth it. Will repurchase, for sure.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2011 11:14:00 AM More reviews by moole

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

I never used LM before, so I bought 2 products to compare - LM Translucent loose powder and Shiseido Translucent loose powder at Sephora - they're the almost same price (~ 30 something), same weight and from known brand.
Ok cut to the point, I found that both of them are fabulous.
The reason :

On the texture : LM has a very sheer coverage, as in you can't see the difference with the powder on, other than it is used to set the powder. This is a plus, but then, if I can't see the difference, why would I put it on ? And because the coverage is uper duper light, I don't think it controlled my oily part.
The grain of LM's is fine enough, but I find the Shiseido's more fine. It's like comparing salt grain to flour. On LM I can see the grain, but on Shiseido I can't, where it's like flour sticking together - which is why it's more messy on Shiseido because the flour-like substance flies out easily. I think that's the reason why Shiseido's create somehow a matte finish, while LM's doesn't change the texture of my foundation.

On the color : It's a good thing this LM powder doesn't change foundation color, even if overuse, so another plus. Comparing to Shiseido's , it cast a white shade on your face if you use too much of them.

On the staying power and oil control : It's now winter so I can't really test the oil control, but I do find that LM powder kind of disappear after 3 to 4 hours, while Shiseido's stays on. Or maybe it's just because the powder is too sheer I'm not sure.

So in brief I guess it all comes to the purpose of your makeup. If you think your foundation covers enough and don't need oil control, buy this Laura Mercier. But if you would want to cover some more and have a matte finish, consider other comparable brand like Shiseido.

I give it a 3, because I think it's a good powder, but not super super good to have no opponent - you can still look the same without this powder.