September 18, 2014 | 1871 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2013 3:48:00 AM More reviews by Calliopi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like the product but wish it came packaged in a tube or pump bottle. This fluffy textured cream smells like lavender which I don't love but I can get past that. The product itself is lovely, does not clog my pores and seems to make my skin glow from within. I really did enjoy this product but the unsanitary packaging prevents me from repurchasing.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2013 1:31:00 AM More reviews by Cactus_Pear

this cream has a weird texture, it almost seems to blend in with a "watery" finish.. kindof hard to explain but yea, was extremely blah for how expensive it was. Didn't moisturize enough for me, smells like wet dog, packaging sucks--- dropped it and the lid shattered off

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2013 5:16:00 PM More reviews by catbaguette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Philosophy came to the UK maybe 3 years ago, and in the past I've tried their Purity Cleanser which is lovely - but I haven't used it enough (I had a small sample) to make an informed decision about it overall. I'm always drawn towards clever marketing and nice packaging so Philosophy pulled me in with their refreshingly minimalistic packaging and carefully crafted words.

I went to Boots today, looking for a micropeel for my flaky yet oily skin. My skin just needed some oomph and needed something to help out with texture. The sales assistant was lovely and helpful and helped me pick the best peel for me. I was very excited and picked the Microdelivery Vitamin C peel which was amazing for my skin. But that's another review. The sales assistant reminded me that if I bought two Philosophy products then I'd get a £5 off voucher, 500 advantage points and £10 off both products. I thought I may as well, so I also purchased Hope in a Jar because I thought, "you can never have too much moisturiser" and I jokingly said this to the sales assistant. I'm having a relaxing day off, so I decided to dedicate today towards my skincare and do some pampering. After having an amazing home made peel from the Microdelivery stuff I decided to slather on some nice trusted products to help my skin feel nourished after treating it. I used a repair serum (Estee Lauder ANR), some Clarins Lotus Oil - I usually reserve these for my night time skincare but I was going to have a nap - and instead of using my trusty Lush Vanishing Cream I decided to use the Hope in a Jar because it was new and I wanted to feel like I was treating myself. Lovely triple nourishment for my skin as well.

I had my late afternoon nap and my skin felt wonderful when I woke up. Like, the texture of my skin has never felt better, I really wanted to moisturise it again because I remembered what I said in Boots, "you can never use too much moisturiser!" Gleefully, after watching Mad Men, eating my dinner and doing some work I decided to add HIAJ to my skin again - I used a really minimal amount. I decided to watch Mad Men again, after half an hour I felt a weird burning/itching sensation on my skin. I thought that perhaps the peel made my skin slightly sensitive so I shrugged it off as a peel side effect. Then I looked in the mirror and my skin looked more red than usual, most of the time I'm used to redness as I have acne scars that I'm currently treating. But this redness was blotchy and had no acne scars in those areas, I decided to wash my face with a nice creamy cleanser (Cleanse and Polish - Liz Earle) and the pepperminty goodness seemed to calm my blotchy itchy mess down. I've waited for 2 hours and put some serum on now and my trusty Clarins oil and I've gone back to my Lush moisturiser and these favourites of mine really calmed my skin down.

I know a lot of you complain about the smell, and I can see why, I kept getting wafts of it as I was watching Mad Men and it annoyed me. But I can deal with smell if the performance of a product is good for me, but HIAJ made my face irritated so now I'm very reluctant to put it on again. Overall I've given this product two lippies because upon first application my skin felt so smooth and lovely. If it wasn't for the bloody Boots advantage points and vouchers and money off I wouldn't have bought this facial burner in the first place. Why you so good to customers Boots? Why?

Now I'm not sure about this, but I have a theory and I'm going to test it out. Perhaps the strange blotchiness happened because I didn't apply HIAJ the second time round with a serum and oil - this shouldn't have to be required every time I use it though, as I tend to apply moisturiser throughout the day to top up, but maybe it should only be reserved for night time use. Perhaps the serums and oils calm down the moisturiser and it shouldn't really be used alone. It may very well have been the micropeel I did earlier on in the day but I've never had a reaction like this to a moisturiser before and my Lush Vanishing Cream didn't irritate my skin. I will test out the serum/oil theory again one day after seeing if I get a successful patch test on my wrist (and hold my nose begrudgingly due to the smell) this will give my skin and myself a chance to calm down. I will update you soon when I pluck up some courage. I doubt it works, but it's worth a go for the money I spent and the 500 Boots Advantage Points I received, I wouldn't like to lose them because I'll be able to use them on something better. If it turns out to be horrific once again, I'll give it to someone I don't like. Ciao.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2013 10:44:00 AM More reviews by Ad0rableTam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ugggghhhhh=\ I love this, and even grew accustomed to the smell & currently love it. It's sooooo whipped and creamy, a little goes a long way... And within minutes your face feels refreshed, and still clean..... I want to love it more & more, but the price is a little too much for me to be splurging on it. So I purchase the smaller tubs..... If it was a little easier on my pocket, I would make this my every day and night staple in my regime. However, I've been using clean & clears moisture gel and just using hope when I need a little boost. Four lippies just for the price! I understand that the product is great, but it's not $60 a pop type of amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by xenobia1968

Just like the previous reviewer, I got this at the base exchange (only I got mine at the Air Force Exchange) and it is a dream to own! I was so glad to see they started carrying it because we can get it at a pretty great price. I love what this has done for my skin! It feels so smooth and does not break me out. It truly is hope in a jar!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2013 10:40:00 PM More reviews by aprilgirl427

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I finally gave in to my curiosity and bought Hope in a Jar moisturizer. I got a good deal on it at the Army Exchange since the price is lower and you pay no sales tax. I began using it almost 2 weeks ago and it has made my skin feel like a baby's bottom. I have very few wrinkles, even though I am a 60 year old African American grandmother. My skin is slightly oily on my forehead and T-zone. However, my skin tends to be drier in the fall and winter months. So, I wanted a lightweight moisturizer that I could wear day and night. I use it over my nightly serum and I have been getting compliments regarding my skin having a glow. I mix the Hope in a Jar with my liquid foundation during the day and it gives me a dewy, glowing complexion. I wished I had tried this years ago. It will be a permanent part of my skin treatment regimen.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2013 2:25:00 PM More reviews by TaniaRides

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I really hate this cream.. if you can call it a cream, with its weird consistency. It's like a hard cream in the jar and then it sort of melts into a weird, watery consistency on the skin. Then it just sort of sits on top of my skin and doesn't absorb or moisturize. I actually find this really drying. And I hate the smell. It smells like the bitter orange scent that gets on your hand after peeling an orange, plus some vinegar. Awful.

This doesn't do anything good for my skin, other than make me get dry patches and angry red blotches, and the smell is terrible.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/24/2013 12:45:00 PM More reviews by Ogstar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got this as a gift. It doesn't break me out (I'm super sensitive) and I don't have a problem with absorption (I use a clarisonic).. However, I use natural aloe vera as the last step in my skin are routine and mixed with this it smells FISHY. It goes away after absorbed, but it's funky until then. I wouldn't recommend this. There are better moisturizers at more reasonable prices. I didn't purchase mine, but I wouldn't repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/18/2013 1:26:00 AM More reviews by Boborian

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product was terrible. Firstly, the packaging is not the most sanitary since you have to stick your finger in. Next, this moisturizer smells appalling and very bothersome. Thirdly, this moisturizer does NOT sink into my skin. It just sits on my skin and so, if someone wanted to give me a peck on the cheek, or if I needed to touch my face for some reason, I would feel the stickiness of the moisturizer. It doesn't moisturize at all. Overall, this was more of a jar of hopelessness.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/16/2013 2:05:00 PM More reviews by nliedel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

No hope for me. Nothing really works on all skin types, in my experience and this made me break out. I have fine lines, but I'm afraid it's going to have to be a, "laser." This was especially bad for acne in my T zone and right cheek. I tried it at different times of the month, on a box, with a fox, you get the idea. I personally, don't believe in purging. I've been trying to purge since my teens and there is no purging here. Just bigger and smaller zits.

I am a cosmetic formulator, although I'm into an art business now. I do formulate for me. I don't do creams. This was my last hope, no pun intended, and it's just not gonna happen for me and cream. Even Hope in a Jar. I really wanted to love it.

I gave it to my sister who raves. So, it's not all bad.