April 21, 2014 | 988 users online

Hair - Unrefined Shea Butter

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2009 10:31:00 PM More reviews by nanshi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I buy this from an online seller (nasabb.com) and I get a small 4oz. tub for around $13 shipped and they whip it for you so it comes delivered in a consistency similar to generic body butter (or so. Thicker than lotion but not quite a dense as a cream, a la Nivea Creme). It's already softened and I primarily got this because shea butter (unrefined/raw) has natural sunscreen properties (Vitamin F, I think it is?) and it also is completely natural and about as pure as you can get and a little goes such a long way. I work out at the gym and do other things that open up my pores and make me sweat (ie. yard work) and usually I can't be bothred to take off sunscreen. I've always been concerned with the chemicals going into my skin while I'm in the hot tub after a workout or just while I'm on the machines sweating it up. With this, I know there's no chemicals, so it's not nearly as worrisome as the other things -- and no breakouts caused by this either! It's inexpensive, but don't expect it to do miracles. It makes your skin softer and helps keep it hydrafted but it won't erase marks. But it might help plump fine lines.

Works great all over. Hands, feet, neck, arms, legs, etc.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2009 9:17:00 AM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought my unrefined shea butter from agbangakarite. It's nice and creamy. I whipped some with jojoba oil, emu oil and grapeseed oil. After I put it in my hair (natural), my hair felt so soft and moisturized without feeling greasy. The whip is nice and fluffy. I use it all over my body including my face just after showering. It absorbs into the skin very well and a little definitely goes a long way and it lasts all day. Best moisturizer I've ever bought, I love this stuff and will never go back to store bought lotions.

Update 6/18/09: I had a small burn mark (about 1" X 1/3") on my arm and after using this for a few months, the burn mark is almost gone. BTW, I've had this burn mark for over 20 years.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2009 5:34:00 AM More reviews by bellhead

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Other

A little goes a long way, all natural and the price is relatively cheap. It keeps my skin well moisturized without feeling greasy. The smell might be overbearing for some. The good thing is the scent quickly fades. Shea butter also helps with smoothing out imperfections.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2009 2:38:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Pale creamy yellow unrefined shea butter. Smells like licorice, but fades on skin. I just got mine from www.coastalscents.com, 1 pound $8.49 with shipping $18.09. I immediately transferred some to a small jar and put the rest in my closet.Then I put it on my feet and I must say, my hands and feet now feel like silk from all the rubbing!It soaked right in. I'm glad the licorice scent faded. Very greasy but it absorbs, a little goes a long way, melt a bit in palms before applying.I've never had unrefined shea butter before, just the white unscented kind from L'Occitane, but this is interesting!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2009 5:25:00 PM More reviews by alisoncooks

This is good stuff! It's currently being used as: my night eye cream, heel cream, eczema treatment for my baby girl, hand cream...the uses are endless! Shea butter is good for scars and dry skin. It will not clog pores but can be very healing and soothing. It IS thick and must be rubbed on palms to melt and be smooth, but it's worth it.

Unrefined shea butter can be bought in many places. Check and make sure it is 100% and unrefined. It can be bought fairly cheaply on ebay by the pound. Usually it will come in a bag or box. You'll wanna take a bit out and put it in a small container and store the rest in a cool, dark location. I reused a powder jar; washed it clean and filled it up with shea butter. Now I can take it with me and it doesn't look crazy (crazy lady carrying around a 1 lb bag of white crumbly solid stuff)

I initially got it for my heels, which were so rough and cracked that they were snagging my sheets and I couldn't pull up hose w/out tearing them! Now they are pretty smooth (not perfect...I don't exfoliate them...if I did, they probably would bed perfect)...but they don't have any cracks and I'm not embarrassed to show them.

Try it...you'll like it!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2009 3:49:00 AM More reviews by Kiki91768

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

After not appreciating my skin it turned dull. I'm trying to recop it and heard about shea butter and wow!!! It does work. The price is awesome Nd it does the job. My skin is looking so much better.

I did hate the smell so I got a recipe only and whipped it to a body butter and Iove it

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2009 12:33:00 PM More reviews by armaclin041584

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this product and will continue to invest in unrefined shea butter for the rest of my life. I purchase the SB from www.coastalscents.com or www.unrefinedsheabutter.com (The suppliers are the same). Current I pay around $11 with shipping and handling for a pound of SB that last me 3-4 months and I use this product on my skin and in my hair. It does wonders for moisturizing!! The smell is odd but fades very quickly and now I am use to it. It soaks into my skin and soaks into my hair without leaving it feeling greasy or heavy. It is perfect!! Shea butter has also helped my son's eczema also and has helped me retain length while growing out my hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2009 12:31:00 PM More reviews by armaclin041584