Unrefined Shea Butter

4.5

Shea buttah.

on 6/26/2009 7:44:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I cannot live without my shea butter! I use it for my hair on a regular basis and my skin on occasion. Do yourself a favor and get some real unrefined shea from an African vendor in your town. Or buy online. I have purchased from Afrikan republic on their website. Shea butter varies in color and consistency based on where it's harvested from. I personally avoid any refined, overprocessed shea.

on 6/18/2009 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love shea butter! I use it both for my skin and hair needs. It makes an excellent seal for ends and makes my skin soft. You can make your own treatments by mixing in essential oils and other oils like almond, avocado, or apricot to get the consistency you want. I buy mine at my local healthfood market for less than six bucks.

on 6/14/2009 3:39:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This is a must have. Never thought to wihip the shea butter but I will do that for easier application. This will heal dry and cracked skin (feet and heels) while giving your body an overall amazing glow. I usually apply after evening shower/scrub because I find it too heavy for the day. Your sheets will have to be changed often- if you are like me and love crisp sheets because they may feel waxy. The initial smell is awful but it does fade and doesn't interfere with your fragrances.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

My shea butter I buy from a german Apotheken that sells online delivery accross Europe. Since this is not sold where I live. Is great product lovely for skin and hair. You you use it as is and blend it with other things.Leaves skin very soft. Is a product I buy often. Gives hair great shine and softness add a drop of your favorite essential oil to a little dab of shea butter on your hands run through hair and brush it.
Wonderful shine and fragrant hair.Treat your dry feet hands elbows to some shea butter.Enjoy!

on 6/11/2009 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Great all purpose stuff

on 6/6/2009 7:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

i have very very dry skin especially my hands and my legs..i've tried everything under the sun and nothing can ever keep me moisturized after long hours..i used to have to bring along my lotion in my purse and keep applying lotion on my skin to keep them from scaling which is a horrible sight especially if i'm wearing a dress..i purchased unrefined shea butter from www.coastalscents.com..it has a very earthy scent to it due to its purest form..it's very creamy and sometimes i feel like it's grainy..but no big deal cz as you warm it up in between ur hands,it forms a really nice buttery,creamy texture and can be easily applied onto your skin..tell u what,no more scaly dry skin and no more carrying my hand lotion every where with me cz this little guy keeps me moisturized from am to pm without needing to reapply at all even though i often wash my hand..the moisture takes a while to sink into your skin but once its in,it stay there..not like other lotions or cream which are mostly water based as their 1st ingredient in their ingredient lists is water/aqua..i especially use it for my body..have not yet try it on my hair or my face..will update soon..but for now,this is a keeper..=)

on 6/6/2009 5:53:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I think this is a miracle product. I know this is under the "Hair" section, but I use it on my skin. I originally got it to help combat my dry feet and hands after moving to Denver. I got mine off of ebay for less than $20 for 16 oz. It is raw, unscented, and reminds me of yellow Play-Doh in consistency.

I've been using it for about 6 months now, though I only started using it on my face about a month ago. I would put it around my eyes and on my lips, but was worried about putting it on the rest of my skin because I am already so oily and acne-prone. Several weeks ago during midterms, I broke out badly due to the stress. I felt I had nothing to lose at that point- my skin already looked so horrible I avoided going out in public (disfiguring cysts). I started using it at night, it's still too sticky and greasy looking to wear out during the day, BUT it didn't make me break out! I've been using it consistently ever since and the old blemishes healed and no new ones have shown up (and I'm right in the middle of finals now).

I am not sure, but it also feels like my skin does not get quite as shiny during the day. It's worked great everywhere I've used it, and I love that it's natural and so affordable.

on 5/17/2009 10:31:00 PM

I buy this from an online seller (nasabb.com) and I get a small 4oz. tub for around $13 shipped and they whip it for you so it comes delivered in a consistency similar to generic body butter (or so. Thicker than lotion but not quite a dense as a cream, a la Nivea Creme). It's already softened and I primarily got this because shea butter (unrefined/raw) has natural sunscreen properties (Vitamin F, I think it is?) and it also is completely natural and about as pure as you can get and a little goes such a long way. I work out at the gym and do other things that open up my pores and make me sweat (ie. yard work) and usually I can't be bothred to take off sunscreen. I've always been concerned with the chemicals going into my skin while I'm in the hot tub after a workout or just while I'm on the machines sweating it up. With this, I know there's no chemicals, so it's not nearly as worrisome as the other things -- and no breakouts caused by this either! It's inexpensive, but don't expect it to do miracles. It makes your skin softer and helps keep it hydrafted but it won't erase marks. But it might help plump fine lines.

Works great all over. Hands, feet, neck, arms, legs, etc.

on 5/14/2009 9:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I bought my unrefined shea butter from agbangakarite. It's nice and creamy. I whipped some with jojoba oil, emu oil and grapeseed oil. After I put it in my hair (natural), my hair felt so soft and moisturized without feeling greasy. The whip is nice and fluffy. I use it all over my body including my face just after showering. It absorbs into the skin very well and a little definitely goes a long way and it lasts all day. Best moisturizer I've ever bought, I love this stuff and will never go back to store bought lotions.

Update 6/18/09: I had a small burn mark (about 1" X 1/3") on my arm and after using this for a few months, the burn mark is almost gone. BTW, I've had this burn mark for over 20 years.

on 5/14/2009 5:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

A little goes a long way, all natural and the price is relatively cheap. It keeps my skin well moisturized without feeling greasy. The smell might be overbearing for some. The good thing is the scent quickly fades. Shea butter also helps with smoothing out imperfections.

Popular Hair Products