September 2, 2014 | 2067 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Pure & Free Baby SPF 60

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2009 10:33:00 AM More reviews by Mrs_Pooky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm writing this review based on using this on my children, who are currently 2.5 years and seven months old. I have already repurchased so I have one tube in the diaper bag and one at home.

This is one of only two sunscreens out of about a dozen that I can use on my son's super-sensitive skin without causing a rash requiring Benadryl. This was recommended to me by a friend and our pediatrician after using a SS spray for sensitive skin that resulted in such an itchy, angry rash. The other SS is California Baby, however, that is expensive and not as easy to find as this is. I like that I can walk into most drugstores or Wal-Marts and buy this.

It's easy to apply and doesn't irritate. Those are the most important features for me. I frankly don't care if it leaves a white cast as long as the kids are protected. They've never gotten burned while wearing this, even in the pool. I also purchased the stick version for their faces.

One of the other reviews did raise a red flag for me, and I'll be researching the ingredients to make sure this is something I want to continue to use on my precious little ones.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/1/2009 3:02:00 AM More reviews by faroreswind

I really wish this product did not have BHT in it. I almost bought it thinking it was a good, natural sunscreen without cancer causing chemicals.. until I read the inactive ingredients list. BHT is one of the worst chemicals out there! Its already been banned in Japan. Neutrogena, why did you have to sneak this one in? Especially in a product marketed for babies?!?! Shame on you! Without BHT, the only drawback would be a shorter shelf life (like it even needs a 4 year shelf life in the first place). I'd prefer a shorter shelf life over a chemical carcinogen any day.

BHT information from Wikipedia:
Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), also known as Butylhydroxytoluene, is a lipophilic (fat-soluble) organic compound that is primarily used as an antioxidant food additive (E number E321) as well as in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, jet fuels, rubber, petroleum products, and embalming fluid.

E320 or Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) is an additive that accumulates in the body fat. It is known to cause cancer in animals and disrupt the body’s hormone balance. Laboratory studies have shown BHT causes cancer and results in detrimental reproductive effects in rats.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2009 9:11:00 AM More reviews by dstamnitz2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Pure and Free Baby SPF 60+. Sunblock with NO chemical sunscreens. I cannot wear chemical sunscreens, so I need something that is zinc and titanium dioxide--but that is not goopy and does not make my face look white. This absorbs quickly and I can wear it under makeup when it is 107 degrees and my makeup stays put. HG!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2009 10:21:00 AM More reviews by DescendingAngel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been searching for a great sunscreen for my face for a very long time. I have dry skin - so I can't wear the dry touch, but don't like looking greasy - so many regular kinds are not great for me either. I like high level protection, but don't like my face to be white. I prefer no scent, and the simplest formula I can find. I"m also a big fan of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide as opposed to the chemical agents which have become popular.

This product has all of those. And since I sometimes sit within the gullable massses, yes, it makes me feel good that it's marketed for babies. I think I"m getting the safest thing possible while it fulfills all of my sunscreen checklist.

The packaging is good. It's simple and I like the texture of the bottle. Again...simple. If I"m going to be putting something on my face, then this gives me the greateset confidence. No greasiness, but it isn't super drying, no white at spf 60 as long as I give it the 15 minute window before sweating, no scent or irritation, and I can easily squeeze out exactly how much I want.

I think we have a winner.

For my body, I use a spray, so that I can reach my back and such and ...well...spray it on quickly, but for my face, I've found nothing better!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2009 1:39:00 AM More reviews by Bijou7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

ABSOLUTELY agree with the below review--ignorant people are buying this great sunscreen without bothering to educate themselves on the difference between this and potentially harmful, irritating chemical formulas, and are consequently blaming the product when the problem is their own lack of research, which is totally unfair. As has been mentioned, this is a PHYSICAL block, zinc and titanium dioxide, much better for the body, and it does leave a whitish cast, but I find that it disappears after a few minutes on my child's skin. I don't know what the "1 lippie folks" are doing wrong. Anyway, it protects my kid beautifully and more importantly, doesn't cause any irritation, and my child has v. sensitive skin. Plus I don't have to worry about his skin absorbing harmful chemicals. I don't have a moment's concern using this great sunblock. We know that not everything works for everybody, but be more careful in your choices and maybe you won't have to write a scathing review. Unless that's all you like to do w/ your time...

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2009 1:19:00 AM More reviews by HotMomma111

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this in the stick version for easy application on my 3 year olds face. I think too many people dont realize it makes you white esp if you dont rub in and this is b/c it is zinc & titanium dioxide. I havent found a physical sunblock that doesnt give you that whitish cast, it does eventually sink in and fade too. My daughter certainly doesnt care and she hates getting her sunblock on but the stick makes it so easy for her face.

This stuff is also extremely waterproof also and works really good, I can put this on my daughter and sit under the extreme FLorida sun (even during the worst early afternoon hours) on the beach and after hours of her going in the water and playing she gets no color where i apply this stuff, it physically blocks the sun, you don't even get tan with it.

I think people are unfairly knocking this stuff because they are using it on themselves and expecting it to be like regular chemical sunscreens like coppertone, it's called pure & free b/c it's free from the normal sunscreen chemicals that actually have to absorb into your skin and reflect the suns rays and that is why it has to be put on about 20 mins before sun exposure, whereas this has natural mineral sunblockers zinc and titanium (the same minerals that make Bare minerals naturally a sunscreen) and since this is a physical blocker you can put it on on the beach in the sun and it works right away. This stuff is made for babys/kids sensitive skin and they dont care if it's waxy or makes them ghostly, what matters is it protects them from the sun and does so without all the chemicals that they are starting to link to cancer now even.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/13/2009 5:14:00 PM More reviews by STARRrocks

i bought this for my son,and OMG i hate it, it leaves a sort of blue tint on him wherever i apply it,and its so thick that it doesnt rub in right, i put him in his lil pool and the water turned white! i washed off so quickly ,i know its bound to happen but not that quick...ugh its like no other..the worse

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2009 4:55:00 PM More reviews by fabmac1

Holy hell this stuff is horrible! I bought this becuz I'm typically very sensitive to sunscreen and was told this was PABA free (usually the ingredient that causes irritation for ppl with sensitive skin) This stuff is thick and creamy..which would have been fine, BUT this leaves a WHITE sheen on your skin! i applied this on my legs and it looked like i dusted myself in FLOUR! i rubbed this in as much as i could and i even applied moisturize before/after this and i still had chalky looking skin. I was almost embarrassed stepping out into public!! Didn't get much better throughout the day...still white, chalky, sections on my skin and trust me... i made sure i rubbed this in thoroughly and evenly. not only is this stuff expensive...but it's horrible!! I'm sticking to my banana boat baby sunscreen. It may be greasy... but i'll take a nice shine on my skin versus white chalky legs ANYTIME!! 2 thumbs WAAAAAY down!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2009 4:06:00 PM More reviews by product_junkie6

I actually really like this sunscreen... so far it hasn't given me any reason not to. The formula agrees with my skin much better than traditional sunscreens. It's not at all greasy, and hasn't made me break out at all which is almost unbelievable...

I wear it over my daily face moisturizer and alone on the rest of my body. I like that the moisture in it absorbs quickly, although you have to really rub it in to get rid of the white film it leaves behind.

I think that this formula is identical to the new sensitive skin sunscreen. I read the label and it looked the same to me.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/10/2009 6:44:00 PM More reviews by sollieday

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really wanted this to use on my face. I prefer physical sunblock to chemical ones. This seemed like a good idea. It did not work out at all.

I have kind of a small face to begin with, but I know you're supposed to use 1/4 tsp of sunblock to get the proper effect, so I went for it. Yes, it was hard to get it all on and rubbed in without looking white. Still, I'm pretty pale and it wasn't that noticeable and really I wasn't that worried about it anyway, so I got myself fairly close to normal color and didn't think too much about it. This is when I encountered the problem that really killed this product for me. First let me say I don't really sweat very much. Ever. I do a little in extreme situations, but not much at all. Okay, so I looked in the mirror and my face was all sweaty (what?!)and the sunscreen looked like it was peeling off. What!? It wasn't really peeling off but it looked like that. It was, however, definitely lifting off my face due to all the crazy sweating I was doing. And this was within 10 minutes of me putting it on. This will definitely not work for my face!

I am still going to use it on my body and also on the kids. I never even got to see how it performed in the sun, but I imagine it will work just fine if we can keep it on.