Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby SPF 60

3.3

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.9%), Zinc Oxide (4.7%) Inactive Ingredients: Alumina, Arachidyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Glucoside, Ascorbic Acid, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Beeswax, Behenyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, BHT, Bisobolol, Butylene Glycol, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Dimethicone PEG 8 Laurate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Methicone, Methylisothiazolinone, Pantothenic Acid, PEG 100 Stearate, PEG 8, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polysorbate 60, Potassium Sorbate, Retinyl Palmitate, Silica, Stearic Acid, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Trisiloxane, Water, Xanthan Gum 5/21/09

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This product works great so far. I mixed it with some other sunscreens that I already had so I didn't have the white streaking problem. It doesn't burn and isn't greasy. I like the amount of SPF and the fact that it uses physical sun protection ingredients. I really like how my skin is matte with this product. Would rebuy.

on 9/12/2009 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

I love that there is an accessible all physical sunscreen option in the drugstores. But this will likely NOT be your go-to sunscreen. The texture is slightly sticky, leaves a white cast, and balls up when combined with a variety of other products (my acne med for example). However, I have worn this to the beach all day and it didn't break me out. I would use this for the face and body on days when you'll be out in the sun a lot because it's relatively inexpensive and the active ingredients are stable and dependable.

on 9/2/2009 3:33:00 PM

As pointed out by Rebeccacribb's post, methylisothiazolinone is a very sensitizing preservative, which is not supposed to be used in leave-on products.There are a few published researches on this. Also, although it has not been proven yet, based on animal test, methylisothiazolinone could potentially cause brain damage. It's a pity that Neutrogena use it in baby products :-( Otherwise, it would be a good sunscreen.

on 8/18/2009 1:55:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Oh, Neutrogena....you just keep rockin'. This is the only high SPF sunblock I can use on my face; although I originally bought it to replace the Dry Touch SPF 100+, which was too heavily (tho prettily)scented and competed with my perfume when I used it on my body, I soon discovered that, unlike most sunscreens actually marketed for facial use, this one doesn't break me out, leave me greasy, or interfere with my makeup! Yay! While it does indeed leave a slight whitish cast, I don't mind, since I've already decided to embrace (and protect) my pale english rose complexion. If you have darker skin, this may not be the sunscreen for you, although I do think a bit of bronzer could easily counter that effect, and the benefits FAR outweigh this little con! The finish is velvety and dewy, it lasts all day, and makeup and lotion apply easily as long as you give it about 10-15 minutes to sink in. While a little pricy for a drugstore brand, compared to Korres Watermelon, Shiseido, or Clinique sunscreens, this is higher performance with a low, low price tag. And, they have a little promo deal going on right now at Walgreens, Rite aid, and Freddies, where you get a little travel size as well, which is just lovely!
*EDIT* Never mind. after a couple of months with no problems I started getting persistent hard whiteheads (I know, gross!) and seriously clogged pores in my T-zone. Finally traced it to this. Still using on my arms and legs, but I will find something else for my face. :(

on 8/15/2009 9:01:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I was thinking I could use this on my face. By itself it's like smearing glue and it leaves me as pale as a ghost. If I mix it with moisturizer first, it's not so bad.

on 8/3/2009 10:33:00 AM

I'm writing this review based on using this on my children, who are currently 2.5 years and seven months old. I have already repurchased so I have one tube in the diaper bag and one at home.

This is one of only two sunscreens out of about a dozen that I can use on my son's super-sensitive skin without causing a rash requiring Benadryl. This was recommended to me by a friend and our pediatrician after using a SS spray for sensitive skin that resulted in such an itchy, angry rash. The other SS is California Baby, however, that is expensive and not as easy to find as this is. I like that I can walk into most drugstores or Wal-Marts and buy this.

It's easy to apply and doesn't irritate. Those are the most important features for me. I frankly don't care if it leaves a white cast as long as the kids are protected. They've never gotten burned while wearing this, even in the pool. I also purchased the stick version for their faces.

One of the other reviews did raise a red flag for me, and I'll be researching the ingredients to make sure this is something I want to continue to use on my precious little ones.

on 8/1/2009 3:02:00 AM

I really wish this product did not have BHT in it. I almost bought it thinking it was a good, natural sunscreen without cancer causing chemicals.. until I read the inactive ingredients list. BHT is one of the worst chemicals out there! Its already been banned in Japan. Neutrogena, why did you have to sneak this one in? Especially in a product marketed for babies?!?! Shame on you! Without BHT, the only drawback would be a shorter shelf life (like it even needs a 4 year shelf life in the first place). I'd prefer a shorter shelf life over a chemical carcinogen any day.

BHT information from Wikipedia:
Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), also known as Butylhydroxytoluene, is a lipophilic (fat-soluble) organic compound that is primarily used as an antioxidant food additive (E number E321) as well as in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, jet fuels, rubber, petroleum products, and embalming fluid.

E320 or Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) is an additive that accumulates in the body fat. It is known to cause cancer in animals and disrupt the body’s hormone balance. Laboratory studies have shown BHT causes cancer and results in detrimental reproductive effects in rats.

on 7/23/2009 9:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Pure and Free Baby SPF 60+. Sunblock with NO chemical sunscreens. I cannot wear chemical sunscreens, so I need something that is zinc and titanium dioxide--but that is not goopy and does not make my face look white. This absorbs quickly and I can wear it under makeup when it is 107 degrees and my makeup stays put. HG!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I've been searching for a great sunscreen for my face for a very long time. I have dry skin - so I can't wear the dry touch, but don't like looking greasy - so many regular kinds are not great for me either. I like high level protection, but don't like my face to be white. I prefer no scent, and the simplest formula I can find. I"m also a big fan of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide as opposed to the chemical agents which have become popular.

This product has all of those. And since I sometimes sit within the gullable massses, yes, it makes me feel good that it's marketed for babies. I think I"m getting the safest thing possible while it fulfills all of my sunscreen checklist.

The packaging is good. It's simple and I like the texture of the bottle. Again...simple. If I"m going to be putting something on my face, then this gives me the greateset confidence. No greasiness, but it isn't super drying, no white at spf 60 as long as I give it the 15 minute window before sweating, no scent or irritation, and I can easily squeeze out exactly how much I want.

I think we have a winner.

For my body, I use a spray, so that I can reach my back and such and ...well...spray it on quickly, but for my face, I've found nothing better!

on 7/20/2009 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

ABSOLUTELY agree with the below review--ignorant people are buying this great sunscreen without bothering to educate themselves on the difference between this and potentially harmful, irritating chemical formulas, and are consequently blaming the product when the problem is their own lack of research, which is totally unfair. As has been mentioned, this is a PHYSICAL block, zinc and titanium dioxide, much better for the body, and it does leave a whitish cast, but I find that it disappears after a few minutes on my child's skin. I don't know what the "1 lippie folks" are doing wrong. Anyway, it protects my kid beautifully and more importantly, doesn't cause any irritation, and my child has v. sensitive skin. Plus I don't have to worry about his skin absorbing harmful chemicals. I don't have a moment's concern using this great sunblock. We know that not everything works for everybody, but be more careful in your choices and maybe you won't have to write a scathing review. Unless that's all you like to do w/ your time...