December 19, 2014 | 1474 users online

Palettes - TheBalm - Shady Lady Eyeshadow Palette - Vol. 1

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2009 9:15:00 AM More reviews by keavy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm normally pretty "snobby" when it comes to makeup and it takes a lot to impress me. I've only ever used TheBalm's concealer, ages ago. While I was strolling around Sephora, I noticed these shadows shimmering beautifully under the hot lights. I tested out some of the shadows and they were all buttery smooth and pigmented! Not at all too shimmery, chalky, or garish. All of the shades have enough depth and are comparable to a lot of high-end brand eyeshadows, such as Nars, Mac, Dior, and more. So many high quality eyeshadows and all for only 38 dollars in one palette!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2009 10:25:00 PM More reviews by lalaland

I have been wanting this palette for a while but never purchased it because I was in my "MAC only" phase, which happens often, until I decided to go more "green" with my cosmetics. These eyeshadows are free of several common toxics and are just plain ol' great! They are quite shimmery but not at all chalky. They are smooth, vivid and highly pigmented. I love the colors in the palette and some are good dupes of some MAC eyeshadows (Henna or Sumptuous Olive, Contrast, Trax, Woodwinked, Knight Divine, Ricepaper) and two NARS eyeshadow dupes (Galapagos and Night Porter). All in one palette for $38! And its less toxic! And I hate to admit this, but way smoother!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2009 2:52:00 PM More reviews by PaleBrunette

I think it's a great deal at 38 bucks. This palette is shimmer for grown women. No glitter or glare, very soft shimmers. There are 6 shadow shades and 3 liner shades and they are all complimentary of each other.

For a cool daytime smoky eye, I like Luscious Lani (shimmery champagne pink) from lid to brow with Shameless Shana (shimmery golden brown) in the crease and Curvy Cami (soft plum shimmer) on the outer V, then I'll use my wet MAC 209 brush to line with Risque Renee (indigo navy). I'll finish with a light smoking of Easy Wheezy (steel grey shimmer) on the lid.

For a warmer look, try Jet-Setting Jennifer (pale green gold shimmer) as a veil with All About Alex (olive shimmer) in the V and Jealous Jordana (jungle green) or Caught in the Act Courtney (coffee brown with copper shimmer) as a liner.

I love this palette, it is a real workhorse and bargain. I am considering getting a backup.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2009 11:26:00 PM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a truly great palette for a great price. TheBalm makes high quality and highly underrated eyeshadows, and the quality of the shadows in this palette has not been compromised! There is a nice blend of existing favorites and new shades, of more understated and more dramatic colors, and there's a nice sized mirror in the lid which makes this palette great for traveling. Perhaps most impressive though is what you get for your money. Nine MAC sized shadows (both in width and depth, there's 17g of product in here, which translates approximately to 1.8g per shadow. MAC's singles are 1.5g) for only $2 more than MAC charges for their premade quads. Considering that the quality is just as good as MAC's IMO, that's quite a steal! I highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2009 6:08:00 PM More reviews by ANSTAH

Such a great palette. The colors are so highly pigmented and there is a mix of light colors and dark colors to use as eyeshadows and eyeliners. The shadows are sooooo gorgeous. I can't wait to try other shadows from TheBalm. The packaging is so cute also!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2009 12:17:00 AM More reviews by silvercloud

I absolutely love this eyeshadow palette! I have 2 of the single e/s and they are so fine and easy to use. The palette is no different. The 9 colors are quite neutral shades (for me) and are so easy to match and blend.

Easy Wheezie (gunmetal gray) is a surprise winner for me. I have been wearing it with the plum or blue or green e/s. Somehow it is able to blend and bring out the the colors better.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2008 4:45:00 AM More reviews by ladyv

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I was eyeing TheBalm eyeshadows for a while, so when this palette came out this year, I didn't take a second look and bought it. However, when I tried to apply them on my eyes, I realized it was hard to match the colors together. The quality is great, very pretty colors, pigmented and smooth, but I can't seem to match the colors together. They would be great if they were applied individually or combine with some other eyeshadows that are not in the palette- or maybe I'm just not figuring it out yet. I can't seem to come out anything better than basic neutral eyes with it when there are 9 diff. shadows in this palette. Anyways, the colors are great and the quality is great. The price is very reasonable for what you get, and the packaging is great as well. I only selected I wouldn't buy this product again because I have way too many eyeshadows and very unlikely that I'll use this up at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2008 9:45:00 AM More reviews by JessiDayle

This was my first purchase from TheBalm, and I have to say I'm impressed! The shadows in this palette are all richly pigmented and smooth, and the colors are amazing! You get 9 very nice sized shadows for $38 (the shadows are about the same size around as MAC, not sure of the depth yet). 3 of the shades are darker, more pigmented and dense to be worn as liners, and the other 6 are nicely coordinated shades that can be mixed and matched. So far I've worn Luscious Lani (light pinky/peach shimmer) with Curvy Cami (purple/lilac with shimmer), and Jet-setting Jennifer (cream/golden shimmer) with All About Alex (olive green shimmer). Easy Wheezie is a nice denim-blue shimmer that I haven't tried yet. This palette is awesome for someone (like me) who is used to neutrals but wants to try some color because all the colors are somewhat muted and pretty safe to wear. Worth every penny!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2008 10:35:00 PM More reviews by eternalstarangel

I bought this palette today for $38, it includes 6 eyeshadows and 3 shadow liners, which each come in pans that are roughly the same size as MAC's shadows. All 9 colors have decent pigmentation, and the shadows are very soft and blendable...the liner shadows are less blendable than the regular shadows and heavier in pigmentation.

The colors are as follows, with their web descriptions in parentheses:
Caught in the Act Courtney (rich brown with gold sparkle)- is one of the liner shadows. It is a pigmented brown color with a lot of gold sparkle in the pan. however, when I applied it as a shadow, not much of the sparkle was transferred to my lids, which was a plus for me. As a liner however, the gold sparkle does transfer, making it nice sparkly liner.
Shameless Shana (tahitian bronze)- is a nice wearable bronze color that does not come out too orange on me Luscious Lani (icy pink champagne)- a gorgeous light pink shade that is exactly like it's description, can be used as a nice wash or lid shade....probably my favorite out of the 9 colors
Jealous Jordana (rich shimmering green)- is the second liner shadow shade and is a super pretty green color in the pan. When applied however, it is closer to a black shadow with green sparkle. As a liner however, it is a gorgeous deep green color.
Risque Renee (dark navy blue sheen) is a navy blue that is matte when applied as a shadow, and only takes on a sheen when applied as a liner.
Curvy Cami (plum shimmer with gold flecks)- almost exactly as described, though it is not quite as dark as it is in the pan when I swatch it on my arm. The gold flecks are subtle and not OTT, thought you could also argue that the gold flecks barely show as well.
Jet-Setting Jennifer (pale gold shimmer)- is exactly as described, though it leans very much towards a light shimmery yellow
All About Alex (olive shimmer)-gorgeous somewhat grayish green shade. A close second as a favorite color in the palette and seems to be exclusive to the palette for now
Easy Wheezie (gunmetal gray shimmer). -gunmetal with a lot of blue undetones when swatched on skin...very pretty color, but I wish it were more gray
The packaging is not my favorite as it is a somewhat tacky looking cheaply made cardboard packaging with a mirror inside. The mirror is a plus, but the cardboard is a little flimsy feeling and the magnet holding it shut is not the strongest. Luckily, if the packaging falls apart I think I can depot the shadows and place them in a MAC palette if I needed to
Overall I would give the palette a 4.5 as I like all the colors, but personally I feel like I would need a separate color as a base shade. Luscious Lani is probably passable as a base lid color but I would not want to use it as one all the time. I would repurchase this palette, but most likely only as a gift...as I have way too many eyeshadows/ palettes already...and the palette is a limited edition release. At any rate it's worth keeping/buying at the price of a little over $4 per shadow.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No