July 31, 2014 | 2049 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Sonia Kashuk - Blending Sponge

rated 3 of 5 on 9/19/2010 3:59:00 PM More reviews by BluePlastic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This thing is okay. I want to like it more than I do, but it has some major faults. First of all, even though it is cheaper than the Beauty Blender, it's still kind of expensive for a sponge. But it would be worth it to me if it performed well. It gives me a lighter coverage than I would like, for one thing. For another, it uses up so much foundation! I usually apply my Revlon ColorStay using a dual-fiber brush or a flattop brush. Because the ColorStay doesn't come with a pump, I pour it out onto the back of my hand and then dip the brush into it, but I usually accidentally pour out more than I need. I usually have quite a bit left over when using a brush to apply. When I use the sponge, ALL the foundation on the back of my hand gets used up. Plus, I'm not getting the coverage I feel I need.

I'm going to keep working on this. I have tried it wet and dry to no avail. The best use I can come up with is to apply the foundation with one of my brushes as usual, then use the smaller tip of the sponge to apply extra foundation around my eyes to cover dark circles. Maybe there is a future for this sponge if I try it with different concealers.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2010 3:09:00 PM More reviews by renaissancegirl

I had no idea how I could get my makeup any smoother until I tried this sponge. I have tried a duo-fiber brush and the SK synthetic flattop but neither comes close to the flawless application that this sponge provides. I use it to blend concealer and apply tinted moisturizer and it gives a smooth, airbrush-quality finish that is natural (no caking). I don't particularly like having to get up to wet the sponge but since I can blend concealer and foundation with one tool, I can let that slide. I also find it's easier to clean than a brush (and more thorough and hygenic). I noticed a bit of staining from the makeup but it doesn't affect performance. I use Dr.Bronners Peppermint castile soap to clean it and that works quite well.
UPDATE: I started using this to blend my cream/liquid blushes after applying foundation and it simply looks marvelous! Using and cleaning one tool instead of 3 brushes has been such a relief.
UPDATE 2: I still love the SK sponge but it's just too high maintenance for everyday use (cleaning, dampening, regular replacing). I have recently started using the Sigma F80 and it is amazing. Better than the Sonia Kashuk flat top (softer bristles, more airbrushed application) and it achieves a similar foundation finish as this sponge. If you don't like the idea of the beauty sponge, I suggest giving the F80 a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2010 12:50:00 PM More reviews by SinisterRouge

I am very impressed with this sponge! I haven't tried the Beauty Blender, as this was kind of a warm up and cheaper alternative to the BB. Before Px went under, I would use my fingers to apply the Virtual Matte foundation. I had been using my fingers to apply foundation for as long as I can remember because when I was younger, cheap drug store sponges just didn't work for me. After Px, I started using BE, which I loved, but either the product or all the buffing really irritated my face and made me break out. So I'm back to liquid. I'm using Colorstay at the moment and at first hated it because it was too thick to put on with my fingers. Then, I bought a foundation brush and it left a lot of streaks that I'd have to blend out with my fingers anyway. Plus, it seemed to just lay thick on my face, which I didn't like. So, I bought this blender and I absolutely love it. It works great and I don't use a lot of foundation on my face like I would with the brush. It works really well for concealers too. I first put all my concealer on my face and then use the pointed end to tap tap tap it into my eyes and the areas I want to conceal. Then I wet it, sqeeze out all the water, and use the rounded end to tap tap tap all over my face. It blends so seamlessly and really does make a difference. At first I used a little too much water, so it was kinda weird. But now that I've been using it for a week and have the routine down, it just works so well. There are only a few cons: Smells kinda funny. Kinda like a tennis ball or one of those rubbery blue balls used for raquet ball. It's a little hard and almost feels like you're using one of those little balls, but I prefer it to be more firm as opposed to squishy. Also, I can't really tell if it's soaking up foundation or if it's not soaking it up at all becuase when I wash it after use, there really isn't much foundation coming out. It's a little expensive for a sponge, but compared to other sponges and how well it works, I'd say it's a good investment. So far I'm really loving it and am glad that I bought this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2010 4:00:00 PM More reviews by MichelleDLove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Loved this sponge. I immediately noticed the difference between my regular sponge & this blender. I dont wear a lot of liquid foundations, etc. I am fairly even toned & just use it for primer & tinted moisturizer. I only use on weekends so I cant say how it will hold up with constant use. It does make my skin look natural & gets rid of all lines. I like how easy it is to use & find that great for a novice like me! So glad I brought it. I had it for a week before use & was very upset that I didnt use it sooner. My makeup was flawless on my vacation.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2010 2:10:00 AM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

*fantastic*! i have had this sponge since right around the time it was released and only recently decided to try it for the first time. i am so, so impressed! i do feel the need to add a disclaimer and admit that i've never tried the Beauty Blender sponge, so i don't know how it compares against the original, but the Sonia Kashuk version works wonderfully for me. i mostly only use the broad, round end of the sponge and i just pump some foundation onto my hand, tap the end of the sponge onto the dot of foundation, and kind of bounce, bounce, bounce the sponge off of my face. it INSTANTLY blends your foundation into your skin PERFECTLY and leaves no lines of demarcation in sight. i absolutely can't get over how quick it makes the annoying task of applying and blending in your foundation! usually i prefer using my fingers to apply foundation (which i only discovered, of course, after spending what felt like thousands of dollars on various MAC foundation brushes) because on my skin it gives the most natural, seamless look, but this sponge does the same thing in 1/5th the amount of time. the only negatives to using this tool are that you definitely DO use more foundation than you would if you were applying with fingers, and it is, in my opinion, a gigantic PITA to clean. i am extremely OCD about making sure that my sponges and brushes are spotlessly clean and frequently washed, and i dread washing this sponge. it sucks up soap while you're cleaning it and takes FOR...EV...ER to rinse clear of all suds. it also doesn't seem to be super durable because a few tiny specks of mine have broken off due to gregarious washings, but i'll take those faults and flaunt my perfectly applied foundation anyday! :D definitely a keeper, and a repurchase, unless i take the bait and try out the Beauty Blender.
*UPDATE* after re-reading several reviews on this sponge and the Beauty Blender, i decided to try using my SK sponge for more than just my foundation and discovered that it works amazingly well for blending concealer onto a small spot/blemish that needs covering. i always have trouble covering small spots and blending them out so that the spot remains concealed w/o having a ring of white highlighting it and the small, pointy end of this sponge works perfectly for the job! yay!
*UPDATE* also now using this for my undereye concealer! i am SO IMPRESSED with how multi-tasking this little sponge has turned out to be! it's only downfall is it's difficulty to clean, and other than that, it's an A+ tool.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/17/2010 5:29:00 AM More reviews by MagicMirrorOnTheWall

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Overall, I can't say that I enjoyed this product very much...

THE GOOD THINGS about this sponge is that it blends out foundations pretty easily. There is no streaky-ness and it'll make your foundation blend right into your skin. And, with the control of the method of application such as dampness, pressure etc, you can get different types of application.

However, I found more BAD THINGS about this product than good things. The first thing is that you will end up wasting a lot of your foundation. It does really soak up extra foundation and you'll never get to use it. I do not use any of my high end foundations with this. Another thing is that it is super hard to wash. I probably had to shampoo it 5 times (no joke!) to get everything out of the sponge. It was especially bad because I used the sponge for applying liquid foundations and the foundation was soaked up to the core so it was really hard to get it all out. After the first couple of wash and re-use I just got tired of having to have to wash it so much and just stopped using it.

TO SUM IT UP, even though it does give a pretty good application, the pain that follows is really not worth it because I can find alternative ways that can give me similar, if not better results but not leave me having to have to waste a lot of products or washing it a hundred times.

I will not re-purchase this product.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2010 8:57:00 PM More reviews by tandee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have the purple one and love it. On my 3rd sponge. Great for stippling foundation for an airbrushed look and smaller end is great for blending everything.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2010 4:00:00 PM More reviews by megan1309

I love this sponge. I love the finish it gives my face. And the pointy-ish end is so great for around your eyes and nose. The only downside to this sponge is that it seems like I use alot of product when using it. You have to clean it pretty often. But using alot of product and having to clean it often doesn't keep me from using it! As of right now this is the ONLY way I apply my foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2010 3:42:00 AM More reviews by mscosmeticfanatic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

great sponge. can't really compare it to the beauty blender sponge since they both have great features. this is much more dense so it's less bouncy and i can move it over my face a lot faster. it also has a wider, flatter surface so i can cover larger areas at once. the beauty blender is great though for a softer feel and the extra bounce provides slightly better coverage. i have both and i use them interchangeably. they're both great for coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2010 7:20:00 AM More reviews by chrisK75

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was looking for a beauty blender-type sponge because the actual BB sponge is not readily available in my area (Montreal Can.) I checked out the one at Sephora but it was 22$...a little steep IMO. Fortunately, I live 1 hour away from a US town with a Target and ended up buying this SK sponge which IIRC, is about 10USD. Nice packaging, and I liked the price, especially when I am about to try something new.

I specifically bought the sponge to try with thicker foundations like Revlon CS or Nars SG. I am on the quest to get a flawless face and I am struggling with elements to get to my goal such color match,even finish and application method. I have been using fingers, regular wedge sponges and 187.

My first attempt was with my SG (in Mont Blanc) and OMG what a difference this sponge makes. I wet the sponge, dabbed it into a blob of SG from the back of my hand and stippled it onto my face. This application method was fast,even and very easy to apply. The sponge is very ergomic so it is easy to hold especially when bouncing off your face. It is contoured so that you can get into the nooks and crannies.

Well, all that being said, I love this product. I will repurchase again. I'm not sure how long it will last but I think I will get much more life out of it than a regular wedge sponge. Two cons, I have to travel and hour away to get it and it doesn't wash completely clean, which irritates me a bit but that's just me.
Cheers!