November 22, 2014 | 1706 users online

Masks - Egg White Mask for Acne

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2012 4:07:00 AM More reviews by tsh82

well i cant believe i have never tried a natural mask! i was THAT close to buy a mask but i found this review that natural masks are much better than the ones you buy.
first time try, i waited for 15 minutes and after i wash it off with a warm water my face was sooooo clean and silky and clear and BRIGHT AND GLOWY! love love love!
although this can be very drying for dry/combination skin. even for my normal face, it got dry after i wash it off. but i think this is a great mask for oily/very oily skin :)
for those who do get dried up face after using this, use egg yolk after washing the egg white off (which i will review soon) or just use toner and then moisturizers
and a tip if you hate the egg smell, just use any lightweight-fragranced cleanser or toner or soap :P
and also this is like my serum substitute at night. but since i only use this on weekends when i stay at home, i dont really care of the smell :P

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2011 7:49:00 AM More reviews by Kittyb1981

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

WOW, Amazing!

I have the most sensitive, spot prone, combination, rosacea troubled skin. That means it's oily, but flaky on my cheeks, forehead and around my nose, uneven skin tone, and in the winter particularly it is a nightmare.

Lately, central heating, London pollution and work stress took their toll and my skin has been red, spotty, sore and itchy, with dry patches on my cheeks and nose really flaky.

Facemasks generally cause my skin to feel tight and uncomfortable, and I never really notice a massive difference. I regularly use a honey and oatmeal one from Lush, but with Christmas looming and my bank account looking sad, I thought I'd try and whip up a mask with ingredients in my cupboard.

I used one egg white, whipped with a teaspoon of squeezy honey (nothing posh, just good old Sainsburys). Smoothed this over my face and left until it tightened, rinsed it off. Then smoothed a little of the egg yolk all over my face, again left it until I was unable to smile (I wonder if that's what it looks like when you have Botox....?!), rinsed it off well, and followed with lots of Superdrug Vitamin E moisturiser.

Initially after rinsing my skin looked a bit red and irritated. About 5 minutes after applying the moisturiser I noticed how soft and supple my skin felt, and my cheeks weren't flaky at all anymore! The sebborheic dermatitis I often get around my nose looked noticeably better too. This has NEVER happened in all my (30) years of skincare regimes.....no product ever makes a noticeable difference.

I applied my foundation - and my skin looks AMAZING. Even, glowy and plump, with no visible flakes on my forehead or cheeks, and only a couple of tiny ones on my nose. My skin looks clear and bright, the foundation going on smoothly and blending better than ever before.

Even better, it FEELS great. Comfortable, moisturised and not at all tight. It really feels like I've been 'feeding' my face. And all for the cost of an egg!

I would highly recommend this to anyone, even those with sensitive skin. I'm going to keep using it and will let you know if the results are as good next time around!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2011 2:27:00 AM More reviews by zexactly

LOVE EGG MASKS.
I don't use just the egg white. I just crack an egg into a bowl, maybe add a squirt of honey, and whisk. Then I just slather some on my face haha and let it dry. It smells like eggs, yes, and it doesn't feel too pleasant when it's dry but you skin will be glowing and smooth. I was shocked when I first used it :)
I use the leftovers for a hair mask which i don't see great results like the face mask (may be user error), but that's another review.

I imagine it would work better for oily skin than dry. Highly recommend :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2011 9:16:00 PM More reviews by ssslasher23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Love this mask! After reading up on the great success other MUAers have had with this treatment, I had to try it out (so glad I did).
I separated the egg white and whisked it a little then used an old foundation brush to brush it all over my face, focusing on problem areas. Then covered my face in toilet paper and brushed on more egg white. I continued doing this until I'd finished the white. Just a quick note: may not look like there's a lot of egg white in the bowl, but you'll realize it's more than enough when you start applying it to your face.
When it's completely dry and ready to peel off, it will feel like paper mache on your face...hard and dry.
I was surprised when I pulled off the mask. This may sound gross but, when you look at the inside of the mask once it's off, you can actually see the areas where there's more sweat and oil (like on your forehead) look kinda greyish and the gross stuff cleaned out of your pores is all stuck in there too 8D *Yes, the gory details, but it's a great thing!* My skin was left cleeaan and glowing -- yes, glowing no joke :)
Everyone's gotta try this mask! For those with dry or even normal skin, I'd reccomend you moisturize afterwards. But for those with oily skin like me, you may not have to.
OH almost forgot to mention, be careful where you put the eggwhite + toilet paper. I accidentally got some of the mask glued right onto some hairs around my temple and it's no fun trying to get it off...just a heads up!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2011 12:38:00 AM More reviews by nkar23

Love love love making this mask. i've tried different variations of it. I used to seperate yellows and whites, but i just mix them both now, whisk with a fork and apply with cotton pads, leaving it on until it feels tight then washing off with an exfoliant. make sure to follow up with a moisturizing lotion as it may dry skin out.
but on the whole, this is a great cheap and readily available at home mask that is easy to make and apply.
when you take it off, it makes your skin feel clean and bright. and balanced. i would recommend it and i use it often. yes it can get kinda messy and i do prefer premade masks in tubes, but they arent that effective--or theyre effective at first then over time start becoming less effective. this is better than those premade masks.
***EDIT: I also mix in a couple drops of lemon juice too. it helps with balancing oil and fading marks. I follow up with a thick moisturizing cream. great mask. my favorite. CHEAP and EFFECTIVE!!! i have stopped buying premade masks in tubes. (if you're looking for a good premade mask in a tube, Aveda's are great though, BTW) but this is cost effective and easy to make for me. sticking with it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2011 9:30:00 PM More reviews by checotah44

I tried this as one person did. Cracked an egg, separated it and painted the egg white on my face with clean foundation brush. Due to time constraints, I was only able to keep on my face ten minutes but it did dry. When I rinsed it off, I had this HUGE white head pimple mountain on my outer cheek (where I don't ever have any problems). Will never use again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2011 5:00:00 PM More reviews by nikkyqtmi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my first MA review and I felt I had to because this mask has HUGELY contributed to being 100% cystic acne free. I've always been one to have very light blackheads around my nose, an ocassional whitehead, and maybe ONE cystic acne pimple around that time of the month, BUT SUDDENLY angry cystic acne started appearing on a regular basis all throughout the month. It started with one or two (at the same time) and progressed in the past five or six months to 4 or 5 angry, inflamed, painful cysts at the same time. I would have started looking more aggressively for cures when this whole nightmare first began had I known then what I know now, which is that cystic acne will get worse over time if you don't stop it (somehow) in its tracks.

Well by now I've been getting desperate, trying everything I could possibly find reviews or research for that could help. I've tried ACV (topically and internally), lemon water, yeast killing pills, fish oil, honey masks (not on a regular basis though), lavender oil, diet changes (no dairy/milk/cheese, no chocolate, no caffeine, no refined sugar), etc. WELL I finally came across the egg white mask, AND THANK SWEET BABY JESUS that I did. I decided that I was going to do it every night for a week as an experiment. Well after the first three nights it seemed that the cysts that were already there got really pissed off about the egg white masks, and seemed almost more inflamed. Yet I noticed any whiteheads or blackheads were considerably softened or dried out. So I kept going.

Long story, less long, day 7 NO CYSTIC ACNE. Skin is calm and other than one whitehead on my face, this is nothing short of a miracle that I have gone 7+ days without a new cyst and all the ones I had are now gone. I am not exxagerating in ANY WAY. By beginning of July '11 I was getting AT LEAST one or two NEW cysts every single day or as soon as one cyst would dissipate (after forcefully popping).

So, here's my routine, because I'm not sure that it's just the egg white mask, BUT I believe it is because everything in my routine (except the egg white mask and macadamia nut oil, I was already doing with little to no real results for months and months prior). I will say that I simultaneously got very religious with my honey/cinnamon masks and now I rarely if ever skip a day of it.

Daily/Morning:
-PRAYER lol - yes I started adding in a prayer about my skin!! ;)
-Wash face with glycerine vitamin e soap (some mornings I skip this)
-Honey & Cinnamon mask first thing in the morning 5-15min or longer if I have the time. Rinse it off with lukewarm water in the shower.
-Tone face with green tea or w/ George's 100% aloe vera liquid
-Apply a thin layer of organic, unrefined Macadamia Nut Oil to moisturize
-Blot face to absorb excess oil, then apply makeup

Nightly:
-Use organic Jojoba oil to remove makeup
-Wash face with glycerine vitamin e soap (I never skip this at night)
-Whipped egg white mixed with a good squeeze of lemon applied to face, allowed to dry and sit for at least 20 min, but I've let it sit for up to an hour...sometimes longer if I'm watching tv or talking on the phone.
-Tone with green tea or w/ George's 100% aloe vera liquid
-Apply a thin layer of organic, unrefined Macadamia Nut Oil to moisturize
-(If you have any active whiteheads or cysts you can add a drop of lavender oil directly to the infected area(s) at this time.)
-I've also done one lactic acid peel and plan on doing one (30% concentration) at least twice a week from now on to start healing scars/exfoliating from the past cystic acne. I wouldn't recommend lactic acid peels if you haven't cleared/healed your acne yet because it will irritate it or make it bleed/scab. I bought my lactic acid peel on ebay, and another 40% version on Makeup Artists Choice website which I haven't worked my way up to using yet.

The egg white mask is definitely worth trying if you've tried everything and if you want a possible cure for cystic acne. I would also suggest getting a grip on stress in your life...as I feel it's definitely aggravated the acne. I've also completely eliminated dairy/cheese/milk/ice cream/butter from my diet with the exception of very, very tiny servings of it if I'm dining out, visiting a friend, etc. Through the process of elimination I've found that I'm ok with organic dark chocolate, sugar, caffeine in very small/moderate amounts.

Hope this helps someone. Cystic acne can be devastating. Peace and love dearies. UPDATE: Well the egg white mask stopped working so I had to think what else I was doing for that first week that it worked so wonderfully and I FORGOT that I started eating 1/2 a steamed sweet potato per day and was eating lots of organic carrots that week as well (for their beta carotene/vitamin A/anti inflammatory properties) and I'm starting to think those were the real kicker for the cystic acne. I just started back with the carrots and sweet potatoes this week and started using organic ginger tea as a toner (which seems to work almost instantly for calming down cysts) so I'll update with results. Still not going to give up the egg white mask because it makes my skin look and feel amazing after use.

21 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2011 5:36:00 AM More reviews by charlies04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been having lots of spots recently, I asked my brother to rate my skin out of 5 (him being the most objective person i know)-5 being perfect skin and 1 being severe acne. He rated it 3.5-So my skin is pretty good to normal but with the odd regular spots and heat bumps. So for the past couple of weeks i've been trying this egg mask (which is simply eggs whites whisked with a fork to make them frothy-then applied to the problem skin, using a make-up brush, and covered over with tissues until the tissue dries (about 5-10 minutes)). I would advise you do not do this when your boyfriend is around cos it looks ridiculous. lol. The first time I did this I used my 187 MAC brush....but for precise application on the problem spots I would use something more like a concealer brush. And then moisturize immediately afterwards. I did not notice any real improvement in my spots but my skin definitely felt less aggravated and looked far smoother-in fact that day I had two compliments about how pretty my skin looked from complete strangers (which is a bit odd for me)-so even though I didn't see a great improvement in my spots it obviously did not do any harm to my skin as a whole! So its worth ago, in my opinion, even if it isn't exactly a miracle cure.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2011 3:31:00 AM More reviews by sweet_like_honey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I mix a bit of egg whites with freshly used coffee grounds in the morning and leave the mask on my face for 5-10 min. The egg whites brighten my complexion and help clear and shrink pores, while the coffee grounds help de-puff my face when I retain extra water and also double as exfoliating beads when it's time to rinse the mask off. My skin definitely looks and feels smoother and softer after this mask- and it's so cheap and easy to make sinc I make coffee every morning and have eggs in the fridge anyway. I love it!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2011 3:40:00 AM More reviews by rach2111

I tried this today for the first time after reading reviews on MUA and am well impressed by how effective it is at reducing the size of large pores on my nose. It was surprisingly easy to remove too and left my skin feeling nice and clean. Will definitely be using on a regular basis from now on!