October 31, 2014 | 810 users online

Styling Products - John Frieda - Luxurious Volume Thickening Mousse

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2009 9:58:00 AM More reviews by user24678

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this in an attempt to find a replacement for my Charles Worthington Big Hair mousse, which Shoppers Drug Mart has discontinued. This is a pretty darn close replacement. Probably about as close as I'm going to get. I tried it for the first time today. It adds noticeable volume (I didn't get insane volume but perhaps it could be achieved with more product... I didn't use a ton because I wasn't sure what it would be like) and doesn't make my hair crusty or anything at all. And it's got a nice scent that isn't over-powering. The only thing I'd probably change about it is the nozzle. It works fine but I really like the kind that can spray the mousse out as well (like my old Charles Worthington Big Hair mousse had) to aim the product right at the roots. That's pretty minor though. I can just work it into my roots instead. I'll repurchase. It's a little pricier than I like for an everyday mousse (about $11 CAD) but it was only supposed to be a replacement for my Charles Worthington, which I mainly used on days where I cared more about my hair looking perfect, and they're about the same price. I would recommend.
Edit 05/07/2009: I think I now like TRESemme's Thermal Creations mousse even better than this. This one's still really good but the TRESemme one is even better, and cheaper!
Update 08/05/2010: I still had a new can left of this so I tried this again recently once my hair was a bit longer (about shoulder length, whereas it was probably about chin length before), and it didn't work for me at ALL. Even with a very small amount, it coated my hair and made it really heavy and overly moisturized-feeling, almost as if I hadn't rinsed out all of my conditioner or something. I was unable to achieve any volume at all (made my hair flatter than if I hadn't used mousse at all) and after adding hairspray on top of the mousse residue, my hair looked greasy and felt horrible. I gave the can to my mom to try and she didn't like it either (also said it left too heavy of a coating on her hair to do anything with it). So, I tossed it. I have bumped my rating for this product down from a 4 to a 1. I still really like my TRESemme Thermal Creations mousse though, which has seemed to have worked consistantly well through my varying hair lengths.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2009 12:22:00 AM More reviews by itslyndz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

Gives good volume. I usually rotate this product with Marc Anthony thickening mousse. Would buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2009 8:25:00 PM More reviews by joiseygirl27

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Good volumizing product. Decent volume on its own, great volume when I've used Loreal EverPure Volume shampoo. I don't find this mousse drying like other reviewers do. I apply this product to my roots then I use a leave in conditioner after (Kiehls leave in). Packaging looks nice. I recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2009 3:11:00 PM More reviews by emyj

Great stuff. I have fine hair but doesn't damage it or dry it out in any way and Ive been using it for about a month. Definitely gives me a boost and thicker hair that last all day.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/5/2009 9:06:00 AM More reviews by dorilob

I agree with the other reviewer. This product dried out my thin, fine hair. It did add volume but my hair can't tolerate this product on a regulat basis. Maybe I will use it once in a while but other than that, no way.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/5/2009 1:46:00 AM More reviews by alittle722

while this product did provide me with lots of volume, my hair was so dry and brittle it wasnt even worth having the volume! i have super fine and thin hair so harsh products really ruin its natural softness and shine, this product is not something i would recommend to someone with similar hair.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2009 2:20:00 AM More reviews by charb3

Okay... so far, not impressed. My hair is definitely full, but really dry and brittle and hard to manage. It's one of those hair days where the only way to tame it is to pull it back into a barrette or pony tail because it's just too full to do anything else with. I like to run my fingers through my hair and this certainly does not allow me to do so without it feeling sticky.

I've returned this product as I hated how artificial my hair felt.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2009 4:11:00 PM More reviews by SkittlesNblowpops

This leaves my flat damaged hair full and volumious! Does not weigh my hair down or leave me with that yucky stiffness one usually gets from mousse (as long as you apply a small amount, a little does go a long way). Another plus is you get results fast. None of that "overtime you'll notice..." stuff. My hair is left soft, thick, and big.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2009 12:42:00 PM More reviews by cdmanl1982

This is an awesome product! A little goes a long way and the smell is great. I have used several luxury brand mousses and this ranks among the best of them. The best $6 I have ever spent.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2009 10:38:00 AM More reviews by purplefrontline

Everything positive that previous reviewers have said is true!!! My hair is very straight and thin and this mousse gives it just the right amount of volume without being crunchy. I will definitely repurchase.