Sonia Kashuk Bristle Hair Brush

4.1

on 7/22/2008 7:56:00 PM

I bought this because I forgot to pack a brush for a four-week visit and it's been great. I own a Mason Pearson at home and love it, so I was wondering how this would hold up in comparison. The handle does seem more ergonomic (that bump part) and it doesn't glide quite as well as the Mason Pearson, and it does have an awful rubber tire smell, but it detangles my thick, straight hair quite well and the price is great for what it delivers. It's not cheap, compared with other drugstore hair brushes, but it's probably the best in that category. I also like the hard box it comes in, which I plan on keeping it in for when I travel. That rubber tire smell is probably the worst thing about this brush.

UPDATED July 23, 2013: The Sonia Kashuk brush they sell now seems to be very different from the one that came out years ago. The old one I bought years ago I leave at my MIL's across the country so I don't have to pack a hair brush when I travel to see my in-laws; while on vacation elsewhere I decided to buy a LE set with a large and small brush (the small brush having a purple body/handle with yellow rubber, the large with a red body/handle and green rubber). It is not the same at all. The rubber on the old brush is cushy. The new brushes have no bounce and the bristles feel pokey; they do not compare to my Mason Pearson at all. In disgust, I gave them to my four-year-old daughter; at least she can't tell the difference.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

After reading great reviews from both beauty magazines (which can be unreliable!) and other ladies, I knew I had to try this brush.

Let me start with that my hair is shoulder length, very thick and naturally wavy/curly with puff to rival a poodle.

Admittedly, I never used to brush my hair other than when blow drying. After I blow dry, I flat iron and wouldn't dare put a brush near my flat ironed hair due to the risk of re-puffing.

Now I brush it all the time because the brush feels so darn good! No puffy mess after flat ironing, either!

I've had this brush for about 3 weeks now and I SWEAR using it daily has made my hair shinier, smoother and easier to blow dry. I don't use it TO blow dry, but before hand, and the results are fabulous.

This isn't an average cheap brush that pulls and hurts your hair/scalp. It glides through your hair, leaving it glossy.

WELL worth the $15 and I swear my hair is less puffy.

on 5/23/2008 7:38:00 PM

So I was at Target yesterday and decided to get this brush. It is suppose to be similar to the very expensive Mason Pearson version. I have to say I am pretty impressed with it! Very well made and is really cute!

on 4/27/2008 11:06:00 AM

I went through a hair product buying phase a little while ago and wanted to get a Mason Pearson. I heard this brush was a good dupe, so naturally I had to buy both and compare. (It was an expensive phase, lol.) This is a very good brush for $15 and its handle is more substantial than the one on my MP Pocket Brush. However, I can occassionally feel this one tearing a hair or two and the bristles bend and fall out more easily than on the MP. It does a pretty good job of perking up my fine hair, making it appear fuller and shinier. But, as someone mentioned below, the scalp massage isn't as good with this brush. I keep this one in my purse and save the MP for situations where I'm less likely to lose it. If I misplaced the SK brush, I'd probably repurchase b/c it's so cheap.

on 4/18/2008 10:00:00 PM

I have a Mason Pearson that I've had for about 14 years now and it is a wonderful hairbrush. I wanted a second bursh and picked this one up after seeing it reviewed in Allure magazine a while back. I am very pleased with Sonia Kashuk's hairbrush and do think that it compares very favorably to my Mason Pearson. I actually like the handle of the Sonia Kashuk brush better than the Mason Pearson. I keep the Sonia Kashuk brush in the plastic case that it came in and wash it every week in a mild shampoo. Just make sure you rinse it well and "squeeze" the water out of the rubber part and stand it up in a mug or cup to let it dry. None of the bristles have fallen out and I've had it for about 4 or 5 months now. Time will tell how this brush holds up but I'm very pleased with it and would recommend it without reservation.
Update: It's November of 2009 and this brush is still going strong. It's received some rough treatment at the hands of my preschoolers, too. Still highly recommended.

on 4/4/2008 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I've been wanting a Mason Pearson brush for a while, but I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a hairbrush.

I read on LJ beauty_101 that the Sonia Kashuk hairbrush is an alternative, so I went out and bought it.

It's AMAZING. My hair is so unbelieveably soft, and it stays virtually untangled all day without having used serum or a rich conditioner. That's unheard of for my over-processed hair. I even used it on my wet hair (instead of my usual wide-tooth comb) and I didn't have to pull or yank it through. I haven't used a hairbrush in years since I'm afraid of breaking my hair, using only a wide-tooth comb, but this brush is FANTASTIC.

on 3/27/2008 5:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have been able to use both the Mason Pearson and this brush. The Mason Pearson is better by comparison. I will say that this one does not tear at my hair and the grip is comfortable. However, it does not get every hair like the Mason Pearson does and does not provide as vigorous of a scalp massage. When I bought it at Target, a few of the bristles were bent, and some of the black bristles fall out from time to time. Given what I hear about the Mason Pearson and it's generational durability, I think I'll save the money and buy first-rate next time.

on 3/24/2008 11:15:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I went and bought a $60 brush at Crabtree and Evelyn. Totally wasn't worth it. Then I saw this brush at good ol' Target for $14. I swooped it right up and now totally love it. First, my hair is super-thick and coarse. I don't blow-dry it (I don't have a spare 2 hours in my day) and don't use styling cremes or gels on it regularly (except occasionally for some Jojoba oil or Egyptian Magic on the ends). My hair, being so thick and having a mind of it's own, gets easily tangled. This brush doesn't snag on tugs, so it's a lot less painful. It makes my hair feel super-soft and look super-shiny. It also helps tame my hair (which was most likely an afro in another life) so that's a huge deal. I love the way my hair looks and feels with this brush. I have never loved a hairbrush before, nor did I realize how much an impact it could have on my hair. Now that I know I will definitely not let this brush out of my sight. And if it breaks or whatever, then I'll happily plonk down another $14. For those of us that are saving for Mason Pearson hairbrushes, this is a great stand-by for now. Oh, and the ergonomic handle helps you keep a really good comfortable grip on the brush. Great buy.

on 2/29/2008 9:40:00 PM

I kept hearing this was a k/o of the Mason Pearson brush and thought I would give it a shot as the MP is out of my price range ATM. I haven't used it to blowdry, and won't as I have a paddle and round brush for that, just used it on dry hair. It doesn't tug or pull like some brushes and it makes my hair look shiny and fuller. On the days I use dry shampoo, it works well to get it removed from my roots, which is nice. It does smell a lot like new tires, but hoping that will fade over time. I think it was worth the money I paid for it. (about $14.99 irc)

on 2/29/2008 9:28:00 PM

Eh...this is OK. I saw this at Target and was like "well this is certainly a lot cheaper than a Mason Pearson" so I grabbed it. I guess I had some surge of extremely optimistic hope that this 10 dollar (or whatever it costs I don't remember) brush would be a dupe for a 100 Mason? Yeah, right. I really wanted the Mason Pocket for blow drying my bangs....but now that I don't work at a salon with a 40% discount that isn't gonna happen anytime soon. I have a Mason Detangler brush that I adore but would never dream of blow drying with it. ANYWAY back to this brush, it just doesn't have the same "power" as the Mason. When I put it through my hair I feel like it doesn't grab enough hair or something (if that makes sense) making blow drying with it almost kinda impossible. I suppose it works fine in an "ordinary brush" way to just brush my dry hair, but meh...that's what my detangler is for haha. I also don't see this holding up for a long time. Oh well, it was worth the experiment =)

Top Rated Sonia Kashuk Products