Paula's Choice Beautypedia.com

3.5

Not tested on animals

on 11/6/2012 7:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I do have a background in beauty, and the teachings that I received matched Paula's quite closely, so I used to trust her opinion a lot. However, now I don't even look at her advice when purchasing product, because I'm an advocate of natural (or rather, plant derived and least processed) ingredients, and it appears she is strongly against any plant extract and aroma essential oils. Also, I happened to have dry skin and she seems to have oily skin. I had to bring up the subject of her personal skin type, because a lot of reviews are geared towards oily skin. She rates poorly any product that is greasy - which can be helpful for dry skin. Any product can be greasy, but it's a matter of moisturizing deeply and being greasy, or being greasy without moisturizing. Having oily skin, I don't think she can tell the difference between the two.

I agree that synthetic fragrances are bad. I have also suffered from heavily fragranced products and I do avoid synthetic fragrances, but I use various aroma essential oils on a daily basis with wonderful results. Some of the products she rated poorly or claimed "full of irritants" happened to work wonderfully for my extremely sensitive and dry skin.

I also think that it is contradictory that she is critiqueing others' products when she has her own product line. There's nothing wrong with having her own product line, but she promotes her own over others by giving lower rates to others products and better ones to her own.

After reading a lot of her reviews, I feel like her focus of choosing product is fragrance free, acid as active ingredient, sunscreen and matte looking makeup. Nothing helpful especially if you have dry skin.

I'd have to acknowledge though, that there were some good points to her reviews, because it helps consumers cut through the illusions and aids them in realizing how overpriced some products can be.

Personally, I have a different guideline that I have set up for myself when choosing product, and I wouldn't refer to her opinion when looking for one.

on 10/10/2012 7:59:00 AM

I use beautypedia.com and makeupalley.com faithfully as sources of information about beauty products I'm interested in purchasing. Makeupalley is my primary source of consumer opinion and beautypedia is my primary source of research and comparison data, though I also use skindeep, cosdna, totalbeauty, and other resources. I don't agree with all of Paula's reviews, though I generally find them to be pretty accurate, especially regarding skincare. I appreciate her approach, and I particularly like the listing of ingredients and explanation of the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of each product's "star" ingredients. Yes, she reviews her own line and rates her own products as "Paula's Picks." I have no issue with this because I've tried many of her products and have found them to be well-formulated and effective. In some cases, they are unique within their price range, and I like having the information on these and other products available in one easily-searchable place. The thing that bothers me about beautypedia is that whole lines disappear from there with no explanation. I'm sure Nuxe and Arcona were once listed, because I remember reading her opinions of some of their products. Now they are gone. Sometimes her reviews are a bit self-righteous and strident, and I don't care for her personality. For the most part, though, I read beautypedia for the facts about what ingredients and formulations can and cannot do, and have found the information very useful in helping me avoid costly mistakes and ineffective formulations. I just wish more lines and products were covered.

I think this is an excellent website for finding out which products are likely to irritate your skin or are highly overrated or overpriced. It should be used as a reference guide for ingredients in cosmetics and how skin may respond to these ingredients. Beautypedia especially is interested in antioxidants to improve skin and harsh ingredients like unneeded fragrance that can actually irritate or harm skin. However, I don't always agree with the reviews of products as to how they work on my face. I do like cosmetic websites that ask for age, type of skin, etc. so that I can make comparisons.

on 9/24/2012 10:11:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

While some have reviewed PB's "paula's choice" line under this category. I'll stick to reviewing her website Beauytpedia.

I've been using Beautypedia, ( Paid and free), as a tool for looking for specific make up and skin care products. example: If you want to find a foundation for oily skin, that is fragrance free, without sunscreen, and not tested on animals for under 20 dollars. You can quickly find find that out! Then take your choices and check them out here at MUA. You'll end up saving time and money.
Paula Begoun started a personal mission to try to stop cosmetic and skin care companies from screwing over consumers, which is admirable. It's true that her passion could be overbearing, and yes she eventually added her own products and gives them all the highest rating, but that's business and this is a free country.
I've found her ratings of make up and skin care to be for the most part, accurate, but I'm the judge if I like something or not.
Beauytpedia just lets me know if that $60 moisturizer I've been eyeing at Sephora may have an ingredient that may leave me with a red ugly rash on my face...nothing wrong with that!

Paula has been bashing other beauty product lines under the guise of being a "consumer advocate" for years. She's not an expert at anything, she's simply someone that has done a little research and passed judgment on perfectly good products. She sensationalizes. I loathed her very first book. Imagine my surprise when she came out with a product line! Way to go Paula in setting your consumer up and then profiting off of it. Brilliant strategy. Everything else not so brilliant.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

*updated 1/2015; I swear by Paula Begoun's products and think they have done more for my skin, than most money I have wasted on other skincare products. I have used her entire skincare line protocol for over 10 years with great love and success.I think you need to remember that her opinion is a GUIDE for recommendations not that her opinion is the only one to listen to. Listen to yourself, if you like it and can afford it..more power to you. I do think it deserves to be said that more average consumers need to read her books and read the reviews about the products you use though. I think her view on open jar containers, following a regimen of cleanse, tone, moisturize, and protect, and that you don't need a separate night cream or eye cream are worth every bit of hype she gives them. Those simple rules of basic skincare are fact based and fundamentally sound. Her own line of makeup is not my favorite, but like I said earlier, follow your own intuition. Who else spends millions on rating other people's products, and yet has their own lines as well. {No one else.} You owe it to yourself if you are reading this, to go to beautypedia to check it out. Your skin will thank you later.

on 7/5/2012 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Paula started off as a consumer advocate, but now with the growth of her own products, the line of independence on her behalf, is starting to blur. Of course she's going to review her products favourably or point you to one of her own as an alternative to a product she doesn't review well, but I've just taken that as the cost of providing an excellent and FREE service to savvy shoppers.

I discovered her reviews via her original books and was shocked to learn the level of deceit and plain out lying that happens when marketing beauty and makeup products and how blatantly companies get away with making such absurd claims! Even my most skeptical and logical friends, often with science backgrounds, have a hard time not buying into the hype simply because it's so seductive and surely 'the product says it does this so it must do this'. Sigh. So for that reason I am SO HAPPY beautypedia exists.

The site isn't perfect nor is the app, and she does recommend her own line of products a lot, but come on, it's a small price to pay for a FREE service that has saved me probably THOUSANDS of dollars on unnecesary beauty buys over the years. There are a few gaps in the site in so far as providing reviews for *every* brand of skincare/makeup but they're often quite niche brands and I think the variety of content is very extensive and robust overall.

I hate that people are saying her reviews are 'psuedo science' - if you read a review, you'll notice she always provides links and references to scientific journals/publications SCIENTIFICALLY PROVING statements where she needs to. Since when do other companies do this? I have yet to find one that backs up their research definitively and with as much thoroughness as beautypedia/paula's choice when making claims or giving information.

The only downsides for me are the fact that a few brands are missing and sometimes I find her reviews a little scathing, but given the amount of deceit companies will go to in order to basically steal our money through thinly disguised LIES, she has every right to be as scathing as she wants! In the end, she remains a consumer advocate and I applaud her for giving people such important and thorough information so we can go off and make an informed decision about our beauty buys.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

when i first discovered this iPhone app i was so excited! then suddenly horrified! i became so paranoid about all of my products and trashed a few that i really liked! now when i go to the store i get really nervous about buying something if i don't check the app first. yesterday i went to buy a toner but i couldn't get a signal and i wanted to double check the app (even though i had already decided what to buy after researching it first) so because i didn't have a signal for the app i left the store. now i don't have a toner. i think that made me realize that i was too dependent on the pseudo-scientific explanations she provided. that and the fact that i read the product reviews on her website concerning the dissatisfaction of her customers. wow! i really needed that kick in the face! literally in the face! i think i know what my skin needs, and i will check with the app from time to time but i find that MUA helps me so much more! thank you all at MUA who take the time to write reviews and guide those of us who need it!

on 6/19/2012 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

I used to refer to the Beautypedia pretty regularly, but lately it seems like it's gotten less broad in the number and types of products it reviews. I have to think that it's part of Paula's marketing not to review any products less expensive than hers -- that's what it seems like. Still, it's a good resource for looking up mainstream product ingredients and high-end stuff.

on 6/16/2012 11:52:00 PM

Well,
as much as I adore and use her products, I just can not like her, or her website!
The basic thing that annoys me is this: She mixes up "science" with "marketing". If a moisturiser is hailed as "a miracle that will transform your skin" she berates it, despite maybe having OK ingredients. If something is just a bit basic, she will berate it as well. In my opinion there is nothing wrong for example with the emollient properties of plain moisturisers. They don't need to have all the antioxidants in the world. Or be protected from the sun if they are a plain mineral oil based product. Yet she berates all of these mercilessly.
She goes as far as also berating colours in eyeshadows and foundations "too orange" "too pink"...my question is...for who? I've seen her make up tutorials and she looks dire and mask-like.As much as her beautypedia ingredient list is something I go back to again and again, and as much as I read reviews for certain products, I would never take her advice on make up!

Popular Other Products