April 21, 2014 | 1828 users online

Fragrances - Anne Pliska

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2004 8:36:00 PM More reviews by Caliburnfaire

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

*Edited to add:
I forgot all about this review until I just came upon it.
It would be unfair if I had let it stand as it was.
Although the first two times I wore Anne Pliska were 'hairy', and I became as sick as a dog...that little decant sitting in my dresser kept singing its siren's song to me...and I found myself dabbing a bit on the back of my hand every night...sniffing it constantly.
I fell in love with it. It wasn't love at first sniff. It was that kind of love for a scent that grows after you've become familiar with it...and its properties.
This is a very different fragrance to me.
It's warm and enfolding. I love that orange that is threaded through the mixture that is so very complex -- at least to me.
It's an Oriental, but its one on its own terms...not BOLD and spicy...or woody. Definitely vanillic, but not soft. There's a bit of zing to this one...and it comes from more than just the orange.
An elegant scent...for the woman who wants a little more from her Oriental.
I love it.

-----------------------------------
I have read nothing but glowing reviews of this fragrance, and was lucky enough to be able to sample it before investing in a bottle.
I guess I don't care for really pungent fragrances, and...this one is pungent.
Soft? Whew! I think NOT!
I've never posted a review, before...but after wearing this fragrance, I felt compelled to.
About a half-an-hour after I applied it...sparingly---lightly...the nausea began. I used everthing I knew to use to get it off, plus showered three times...and it only got stronger.
What did it smell like to me...on me?
Those big, blocky industrial toilet bowl deodorizers...the kind you would probably find in a urinal.
*shudder*
This is possibly the worst experience I have EVER had with a fragrance.
I am truly hoping this was some kind of freak reaction on me, because I would hate to think...that so many love...something so...rank.
I really don't mean any offense to those who love it...but...GOODNESS...it was horrid, on me!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2004 1:01:00 PM More reviews by nurschic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This fragrance is a perfect choice for cooler weather. Its a very nice amber-vanilla scent with a hint of creamy orange upon initial application. If you like ambery vanilla scents, this one is worth a try...definitely! Its gorgeous!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2004 2:11:00 PM More reviews by Samantha_Thatcher

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

With all of the wonderful reviews of this fragrance, I was SO excited to discover it at Nordstroms recently. My reaction to it was immediate dislike; my apologies to those who love this but...I found it be very heavy and a bit obnoxious.

From the reviews of creamsicles and chilly vanilla ice cream, I was envisioning something much lighter and ethereal with a touch of sweetness.

Truthfully, it reminded me of Youth Dew which I vehemently dislike. I guess this was introduced in 1987 (?)...and it did seem to be in keeping with scents of that decade;
overwhelming. It was very "dated" to me, and not in a good way. The bottle was also about as unimaginative as it gets.

Anne Pliska has taught me a valuable lesson though...I will never again consider buying a fragrance "unsniffed"! haha

I know this is a much loved scent & I certainly don't mean to offend those who enjoy this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2004 9:49:00 PM More reviews by Araindrop5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Mmmm...something about Anne Pliska begs to be sniffed again & again. I do agree with the remarks by the reviewer below--it couldn't be said more perfectly...it really is a post modern Shalimar with a L'Artisan Ambre twist to it plus some vanilla orange thrown in there.
I strangely love it though & am amazed at the lasting power. I might consider buying a big bottle of this.
Edited-Update- I developed an allergic reaction to this & sadly can not wear it anymore...

rated 3 of 5 on 2/23/2004 5:55:00 AM More reviews by kaylabee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This review is sponsored by the generous contribution of a MUAer like you...

Anne Pliska reminds me of a post-modern Shalimar. Only this has a dryness and astringency rather than the syrup of its ancestress.

I agree with the previous review that there's a medicinal quality as well. Also a bit Windexy to me. Not anything that I'd purchase but it was fun to sample. I'm feeling very hip now and as a bonus, my sinuses are drying out nicely. :p Update: bumped it up one lippie for the heady lingering end notes...much better than the first phase. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 on 2/21/2004 8:40:00 AM More reviews by Milana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Once again, I have to be the voice of dissent. I am the first to hop on the bandwagon and purchase whatever anyone on this site raves about.....and I'm always disappointed. I tried to like it, I wanted to like it, I kept telling myself that I would like it, but alas, I didn't like it. Anne Pliska starts out like a nice vanilla, and then somewhere along the line it just turns into this really sour amber smell. When people describe it as cold, they aren't kidding. It is cold as a gravestone and just as dry and hard. When I sniffed this, I got the sensation that I would get from using an antihistamine. A strange uncomfortable dryness to my nose. I don't think I have ever had that happen with a fragrance before. I kept hoping that I would eventually smell this wonderful vanilla, well, I did, sort of, but then the dry sour note would come back and overpower it. What a disappointment. I owned this fragrance years ago when I was a teenager. Now I know why I never re-purchased it and barely remembered it. There wasn't anything good to remember. Another MUA rave favorite that I just could not tolerate.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2004 10:18:00 PM More reviews by mangolassi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Powdery vanilla/musk/amber and a bit woody...this scent is, as everyone says, very chilly.

Reminds me of something an ice princess would wear, she is beautiful in a cold sort of way, haughty, regal, and ultimately untouchable.

This is not a very approachable scent, it seems reserved, aloof, and even downright snooty.

I would not feel comfortable wearing this, but I cannot say that I dislike it...it is just not very "me".

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2004 12:07:00 PM More reviews by my3sons

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just love this scent! It is so warm and sexy. Reminds me a bit of Shalimar on first 'whiff,' but the dry down is more of a rich amber like L'Artisan L'Ambre. A wonderful mix of vanilla, amber, slight orange/spice. I will definitely purchase this again. The only thing that gives me pause is the bottle - very old style and not in the Guerlain way, but more in the Jean Nate way. But if you close your eyes and spray . . . Heaven!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2004 5:01:00 PM More reviews by marinablue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Do not have the juice, just the body cream. Smells like a kissing cousin to Angelique Encens. Maybe the liquid is different? I get no chillyness from this one just a regal embracing blend of amber and vanilla. That sounds awful but it works. The cream is not attractively packaged and looks very cheap. It is a gooey pink and not deeply moisturizing, but who cares? It smells like heaven.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2004 12:16:00 AM More reviews by GlamDiva

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

A cold weather vanillic woody fragrance the likes of Shaal Nur, Angel,
Angel Innocent, and others. I love the rose-red color of the juice itself. Reminiscent of Bal a Versailles and Shalimar as well but younger
and more casual.