October 1, 2014 | 1108 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2010 7:19:00 PM More reviews by loveforbeauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am in color #45.

This is currently my favorite foundation! It's pricey, but I think it's worth the splurge. I don't use it every day since it's expensive, so I only use it when I'm going somewhere fun or nice.

I was originally going to buy the HD Foundation since I've heard so many good things about it, but they ran out of my color. I was really bummed, but it's a good thing they were out because when I got home I looked up some more reviews online and on YouTube. I've come across people raving about the Mat Velvet Plus as well, and I was like, hey, maybe that would be better for me since I have oily skin. I still couldn't choose between the HD or Mat Velvet Plus because people loved and disliked both products for their own reasons, so I decided to go to Sephora and try them both out.

The SA was really nice and applied both foundations - the Mat Velvet Plus on the right and the HD on the left. I noticed a remarkable difference between the two. I could tell right away that the Mat Velvet Plus practically made my huge pores disappear! And the HD was too dewy on my face and I hate dewy. It didn't look like it covered much, my pores were yelling, "look at me!"

I'm absolutely in love with this foundation. I can say that my only dislike is the packaging. I prefer it over a bottle with no pump, but I would prefer if it was in a bottle with a pump. Other than that, I love the coverage, one layer is enough to give me the coverage I want. I love the consistency. It is rather thick, but it's smooth, so like I said, you don't need a lot! I apply it with a 190 flat foundation brush then buff it out with a 182 kabuki. (However, I do want to invest in the #55 Sephora brush!) I top it off with the HD Micro finishing translucent powder - also my new favorite!

You get a matte, flawless finish. :) Another product I will continue purchasing!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2010 12:34:00 PM More reviews by callistobop

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have mixed feelings about this foundation. On the one hand, it stays ON. It is quite mattifying, but the downside to this is that it can look powdery and that it emphasizes any dry patches you (...didn't know you...) have. I have somewhat oily skin so it's no big deal, but on dry skin I think it would be rough. I mainly just use this as a concealer now because of its staying power. One bizarre frustration is that even though it's a squeeze bottle, sometimes the product will just flow out when I open it.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/21/2010 7:50:00 PM More reviews by gobayram

i have oily skin so i decided to try this out and it made my skin looks patchy and dry! it was so horrible plus it seems like i needed to use a lot in order to get my whole face covered. i wouldn't recommend this for oily skinned people even though it is a "matifying" foundation...MUFE HD works much better

rated 2 of 5 on 5/21/2010 7:30:00 PM More reviews by NikkiatMAC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

After hearing all the hype I decide to give this a whirl. For reference, I have very oily skin, I easily break out, and I have large pores and redness. I applied one coat of this and I couldn't see any difference. It took about 3 coats to look like I was wearing foundation, but my skin looked blotchy and it did not cover pores or redness. Before I'd even finished putting on all my eye make up, I started to have oil break through on my skin. I tried using this for a week and found it started to break my skin out, most likely because it made it oiler. Will not repurchase.

Pros:
Packaging
Colour selection
Lasts all day without caking

Cons:
Caused breakouts
No oil control
Not full coverage
Product smells perfumy
Price

rated 3 of 5 on 5/16/2010 5:26:00 PM More reviews by serenitytomo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I like this foundation, usually i'd prefer a powder b/c of my oily skin. But the color matched me perfectly and suprisingly stayed on better then I thought and kept the oil at bay longer then usual. It is difficult to blend with a brush, but works perfectly with my fingers (just remember to wash them before!!)

NOW the only thing i dont like about this is that if i use this as an everyday foundation i willl break out! :( so ill use this only as a night out foundation, or id i do use it everday i have to make sure i wash my face right away when i get home (which i hardly do :S) other then that, its a good foundation and would buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2010 9:07:00 PM More reviews by fashionista_ae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have tried countless foundations, and have found several that are really good... this one however is by far, the best one I have ever found! This foundation is just incredible. The bottle is great, plastic and not breakable, love that. This gives a medium to full, natural matte, even, flawless finish. Also, it does not give you that cakey made up look! I use this in shade #20, Ivory, and use the MUFE Duo Mat Powder Foundation (shade 200), as a setting powder. The liquid and powder combination give the most flawless and smooth finish ever! I highly recommend this for everyone! Even drier skins could use this because its not a drying formula, its very comfortable.

*** Update 3/8/11. I switched to the MUFE HD Foundation, and I love it just as much as the Mat Velvet Plus! I'm not sure I love one more than the other, they are both amazing, but the it's nice to have an alternative when I get bored with one!

*** 6/26/11 UPDATE: I've decided I like the Mat Velvet + more than the HD. The colors are better, and the formula is better suited for an oily skin, and I think it gives a nicer finish! My all time HG foundation!!! I hope MUFE never changes this formula or discontinues this!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/9/2010 9:51:00 PM More reviews by Crystalskull

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am so sad that I did not like this. To start, I am very, very, pale, and this is one of the few foundations that is pale enough for me (I'm to pale for MAC), I think the shade was called Alablaster. I also seem to have EVERY foundation I try oxidize on me, (except for powder ones, but I have dry skin and powder sometimes does not work for me), this has been the first one I found that did not do that. However, this foundation settled into every single pore and fine line and stayed there, no matter what I did. Even with a primer.
If you have generally smooth skin and small pores, I would highly recomend this. The colour is great for pale girls (and there seems to be a large selection) and it didn't turn orange. Sadly, it is not for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2010 9:54:00 PM More reviews by Peskypixie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this for a month and I am very impressed. It works ok by itself, but much better with the HD Primer underneath (let it set for about 5 minutes before applying foundation) and with the Bare Minerals Matte to set. I still need to blot a few times a day, but the foundation stays on, and would stay on if I did not blot. I just feel that blotting 2-3 times helps if I'm in the office (only 1-2 if I'm just out shopping, must be an environmental thing?)

Great for oily skin, my HG. Just wish it was gluten free. A little bit goes a long way, will last a long time, making it a good value for your money. It does set fast, if this is a problem for you, you might try mixing it with a moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2010 9:54:00 PM More reviews by Peskypixie

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2010 12:38:00 PM More reviews by 3110hello

This is an okay matte foundation however, used alone, I find it makes my complexion look too dry - but I have dry skin so it is possible that my trouble involves my type of skin. I mix this with Nars Sheer Glow to get the dewy look I prefer to have. I must confess however that in terms of a matte foundation I much prefer MAC gel sculpt. It is just a better fit for my face.