December 22, 2014 | 1638 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2010 3:59:00 PM More reviews by shirlyyxox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

HG foundation for my oily & acne-prone skin. At $35, you get what you pay for. For color reference: NC25 = #40. NC30 = #35. Will explain this later.

PROS:
- Oil-free
- Noncomedogenic
- Fragrance-free
- Blends easily
- Packaging is sanitary and travel-friendly
- Coverage is long-lasting
- Lightweight & no "thick mask" feel
- Dries to a velvety smooth matte finish so your skin feels like skin
- Provides excellent coverage with just a small pea size amount
- Controls the oilies (duh!)

CONS:
- No SPF
- $$$$$
- Limited color selection for skin with yellow undertones (only 3 out of 16 shades have it!)
- Dries as a powder finish therefore it defines dry patches and looks powdery if you overblend (would only recommend for true combo-oily skin)

For the fair-medium yellow toned ladies, I swatched 35 and 40 on my hand. 35 is definitely darker than 40 due to the beige undertones in the yellow/beige shade. The beige is not overwhelming, but it certainly makes for NC30-35 shade.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2010 10:53:00 PM More reviews by vester1228

I love this product. I first tried the MUFE HD Foundation which I loved the initial look, so flawless. However, after a few hours the makeup had practically slid off my face or disintegrated. I have an oily t-zone. After trial and error I now use MAC Matte primer in my t-zone and apply the Mat Velvet foundation onto my face using a BeautyBlender sponge instead of a brush. It's fantastic. Looks flawless and stays on for hours. Will definitely buy the product again.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2010 5:40:00 PM More reviews by ppinkrroses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Really disappointed in this product. I have oily combo skin so I've always had trouble with liquid foundation. However I read a lot of reviews on it and watched some youtube reviews on it and everyone seemed to love it for their oily skin so I thought I'd give it a try.

Pros: Color match was simple and I liked the way it went on, it blends very well. It also provides good coverage without feeling like you're wearing makeup.

Cons: It's very expensive and sadly, after only 2 hours my face was oily and my makeup looked awful. This never happens when I use a powder. Sure my face gets oily througout the day, but never this bad this fast. I gave this a try a few times and each time I made sure to shake the bottle like it says, use a primer, and use a powder to set it, and each time it only lasted me 2 hours.

So I returned it to Sephora and got another powder (Benefit Get Even, which I been enjoying) and for now it looks like my skin and I will be sticking with powders.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by joey444

The only bad thing I have found with this foundation is the price. Other than that, since I've started using it (with a little of MAC's Mineral Skin Finish for setting), my face looks perfect, I don't have to touch up during the day and people have been asking what am I doing different in my face. I haven't broken out in the two months that I've been using it. In pictures, I've noticed my face looks flawless and like I'm not wearing any makeup. In regards to the price, the good thing is that you only need a tiny amount for your face. Great buy and would definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2010 10:04:00 PM More reviews by XJUL35

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Cons:
- Not transfer-resistant; this stuff gets EVERYWHERE if you're not careful
- Does not control oil for very long, I have to blot after a couple of hours or so or else I look like a grease ball
- Defines flakes, and settles into wrinkles and pores
- Very drying formula
- Consistency is very thick so it is hard to apply and blend out
Pros:
- Very opaque, only need a little for coverage
- Sanitary packaging
- No bad fragrance
- Didn't break me out

I bought the colour #40 but it was too light for my NC30 skin.
The next colour down was pink undertoned, so that's shitty. Oh well.

I tried many applying methods; stippling and sponging left my pores defined, and fingers gave an uneven coverage and left me looking generally cakey. I still haven't tried this out with a foundation brush and I'll make sure to do so when I my e.l.f. Studio Angled Foundation brush arrives in the mail. Overal this foundation is *okay*, but for $41CAD I except a miracle worker. I won't repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2010 12:21:00 PM More reviews by briii

i love this foundation! i actually like it a lot more then the MUFE HD Foundation, which was a shock because that was at the top of my list. but not anymore. this foundation gives beautiful coverage and leaves my skin with a flawless, yet natural look. i love how it drys to a matt and has really nice staying power, so i dont need to use any setting powder over it. this foundation is my favorite, its amazing.

UPDATE : after using this foundation for three weeks I have to say that this foundation didn't do it for me. I love the foundation itself but it broke me out like crazy. I've never really had an issue with pimples to begin with so that sucks that this foundation broke me out. I stopped using it two days ago and my skins already clearing up. The foundations good so if it doesn't cause you to break out then your lucky. But I'm not buying this foundation again :(

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2010 9:50:00 PM More reviews by kimst2009

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I liked this product the first time I purchased it because it gives a flawless coverage. When I bought it the second time, I noticed it wasnt feeling the same on my face. It felt heavier as the day wore on and after time it began to separate on my face AND would smear when I touched my face. Eww. I do have an oily t-zone and that's why I bought this product because it's oil-free and MAT. I love the coverage and if I do decide to wear it, it is only when I know I'm going to be out for a few hours. Sometimes I use it as a concealer because the coverage is that great.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2010 2:53:00 PM More reviews by Lucky_Me

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this foundation for 2 weeks and is is pretty close to HG material. It is definitely keeping my oilies at bay. I would repurchase this even though it is a little expensive. The range of colors is very good. I think I would only wear this in the summer as it would be to drying for winter. I enjoy this foundation and I am also like Estee Lauder Double Wear Powder.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/11/2010 12:35:00 AM More reviews by Jessica84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ever since I found out Clinique Clarifying foundation was discontinued (the only foundation to date that works for my extremely oily skin), I've been on the hunt for a foundation that will work for me. This one did not.
Pros:
coverage is decent enough, good color selection, decent packaging
Cons:
had a strong smell that lasted all day, looked cakey around my nose, wasn't very matte, did not control my oil, sunk into pores, wiped off easy, felt mask-like, and is expensive! So I'm on the hunt again.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2010 5:02:00 PM More reviews by blankitababy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

aww im surprised this hasnt got more love!
this is beautiful it does control shine but im going to have to dock 1 lippie since its only matte wen applied with primer this has nice coverage and doesnt give the cakey appearance!