August 30, 2014 | 1657 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 5/9/2010 9:51:00 PM More reviews by Crystalskull

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am so sad that I did not like this. To start, I am very, very, pale, and this is one of the few foundations that is pale enough for me (I'm to pale for MAC), I think the shade was called Alablaster. I also seem to have EVERY foundation I try oxidize on me, (except for powder ones, but I have dry skin and powder sometimes does not work for me), this has been the first one I found that did not do that. However, this foundation settled into every single pore and fine line and stayed there, no matter what I did. Even with a primer.
If you have generally smooth skin and small pores, I would highly recomend this. The colour is great for pale girls (and there seems to be a large selection) and it didn't turn orange. Sadly, it is not for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2010 9:54:00 PM More reviews by Peskypixie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this for a month and I am very impressed. It works ok by itself, but much better with the HD Primer underneath (let it set for about 5 minutes before applying foundation) and with the Bare Minerals Matte to set. I still need to blot a few times a day, but the foundation stays on, and would stay on if I did not blot. I just feel that blotting 2-3 times helps if I'm in the office (only 1-2 if I'm just out shopping, must be an environmental thing?)

Great for oily skin, my HG. Just wish it was gluten free. A little bit goes a long way, will last a long time, making it a good value for your money. It does set fast, if this is a problem for you, you might try mixing it with a moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2010 9:54:00 PM More reviews by Peskypixie

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2010 12:38:00 PM More reviews by 3110hello

This is an okay matte foundation however, used alone, I find it makes my complexion look too dry - but I have dry skin so it is possible that my trouble involves my type of skin. I mix this with Nars Sheer Glow to get the dewy look I prefer to have. I must confess however that in terms of a matte foundation I much prefer MAC gel sculpt. It is just a better fit for my face.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2010 5:25:00 AM More reviews by noname101

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I tried this at first I was crazy about the coverage and finish.

However, in reality, it doesn't last very well (for ME) because I do apply it lightly with a 130 and prefer a more sheer coverage. If you use it that way, I find that it does settle into pores and can be a bit high maintenance with touch ups and things

i might have looked past that if the color match was perfect but it wasn't. I am not willing to tolerate anything but a great finish if the color is not exactly right.

I was finding that it just didn't wear well and I don't think my skin likes it very much.

The tones are very neutral so olive/yellow toned people, stay away.

This is probably great for some people, its decent quality, but its not for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/6/2010 12:13:00 PM More reviews by sensiluv

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Thank God I got a sample of this product before purchasing!

I had to blot about 3x during the day to get rid of excess oil.
I usually blot 1 - 2 times a day with powder foundation / regular foundation - so I'm sure you can do the math.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2010 9:29:00 AM More reviews by UrrUrr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great stuff! I work mostly in a non-airconditioned environment and this stays put all day. (used on top of HD primer) It helps to control oil somewhat. However I have to apply some loose powder on top because I start to get oily around mid-day. The good thing is that even if my skin gets a little oily it doesn't really look like a oil slick hit me :> Did not break out from this foundation too.

I've seen this foundation being compared to Revlon's Colorstay. I prefer MUFE's version although it's waaaay more expensive. I think it has better oil controlling properties, and it's not so thick.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2010 10:15:00 PM More reviews by westinflorida

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the most excited I've been about it foundation in years! I was afraid that this would have such a strong matte coverage that I would look cakey in the heat. The funny thing is that this actually has a very natural finish - even after 6 hours! It applies nicely and smoothly. Coverage is medium, but buildable. This has by far and above exceeded my expectations and will re-purchase in a second! I am thrilled! (For reference: I am NC25 and wear 30 in this)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2010 9:52:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie90

This is a decent foundation, but not my HG. First off, I could not find a good shade match. I am very fair, but the lightest shade #15 was ghostly pale!! It is a very neutral off-white color, with no distinct pink or yellow undertones. It applies nearly white on my skin. The second shade up, #20 was a better match but had too much beige in it. Generally I detest mixing foundation shades so that completely annoyed me. And besides the fact that I couldn't find a good match, the coverage was not what I expected. It is described on the Sephora website as providing "complete coverage", but I have to disagree. While it certainly does mattify, it doesn't provide as much coverage as I like. I have some acne-scars and redness that I like to cover completely. It also does oxidize throughout the day, and doesn't stay matte for very long. Revlon Colorstay is better than this, in my opinion. I will be keeping this but it is not my favorite.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2010 12:08:00 AM More reviews by sparklythings

I am very impressed with this foundation... i'm a bit of a product junkie and even though I LOVE Nar's Sheer Glow, i like to have a variety.
My skin is definitely not oily. if anything it usually is more on the dry side, but lately it hasnt been dry at all. Just normal. And normally, I would not have tried this foundation just because it is targetted for more oily skin.
But I tried some foundations from Chanel, neither of which worked for me. just too dewy and made me look oily and too heavy feeling or not enough coverage. So, even though i love a dewy finish, after trying vitalumiere and pro lumiere, i decided that maybe i would go with a matte or satin finish instead. I remembered that Makeupbytiffanyd did a video on how she loved Nars Sheer glow and she kind of compared mat velvet plus to it... so i thought, what the hell. I can always return at sephora if it doesn't work.
and amazingly enough, i am loving this foundation. gives awesome coverage. feels extremely lightweight, looks natural. definitely not cakey. the matteness of the foundation just makes me look very polished and pulled together. the foundation sinks into my skin beautifully. It doesn't dry out my skin either which is a bonus.
i'm an nc20 in mac, i wear deauville in nars sheer glow, and mat velvet plus i use #30 porcelain. it's a good match for me, but next time however, i might try #35 in Vanilla which has more yellow tones. i have quite a bit of redness in the cheeks, and was thinking a slightly yellower foundation might work in cancelling out some of the redness.
i love this product and will definitely repurchase!