October 25, 2014 | 1023 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Pro Skincare Brush

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2009 1:42:00 AM More reviews by malini2b

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'd hoped for HG-ness from Clarisonic, but that hasn't happened. It's okay -- but not worth the price, IMO.

I've had it for about three months now. I got it from haircuttersstore.com for $160 (thanks, MUA reviewers who posted that tip!) plus free shipping. The lowdown on my skin: combo, blemish- and acne-scar-prone, with oily T-zone and occasional small dry patches from the benzyl peroxide I use at night. I've gotten it very much under control in the last few years thanks to Paula Begoun's products, but it's still a struggle, esp. to achieve the smooth post-facial good-in-any-light look I'm always craving.

I used the Clarisonic every day at first -- at night with my Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Cleanser and in the AM with Cetaphil. I was impressed initially at how it smoothed out my skin and in particular how it cleared up the "congestion" at the corners of my nose, dry patches on my chin, etc. However -- I noticed that my face oiled up more than usual, and as a result I had some breakouts. Minor, but breakouts nonetheless. I cut down my use quite a bit and it's now maybe a couple times a week. It has been so dry this winter in NYC that I may step up the frequency; we'll see.

I simply don't think the results are worth the price. I'm debating whether to get a replacement head or not. Maybe if I can find a good deal.

For me, what works much better is the MD Skincare Alpha/Beta Peel followed by Paula's Choice 1% Beta Hydroxy Lotion. It gives a post-facial glow and incredibly smooth surface -- my makeup glides on and my skin looks great even in bright daylight, which used to be something of a problem! The Alpha/Beta peels are pricey, definitely, but IMO the results are much better and more worth it.

Hope this helps!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2009 10:27:00 PM More reviews by fashion10

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this around Xmas because of all of the great reviews. I use this with the olivella soap (great reviews for the soap) My face is sensitive so I do get break outs and dry patches during the winter. After using this no dry patches and no breakouts. I'm very happy with it. I was using it in the evening and morning. I just cut down and I'm only using it in the evening. I think its over kill if you use it again in the morning. My dermotologist was against using in the morning. Who needs to scrub their face that much? I can't see it getting dirty from the pillow. Too much of anything is no good. Your skin is sensitive overall.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2009 2:34:00 PM More reviews by googler123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have used this brush for a little over a week and so far I am loving it. It makes my skin soft and smooth. I also think it is helping to unclog some of my stubborn pores, which is amazing to me. It has not caused increased breakouts for me and I think it exfoliates very well. It is pricey, but worth it IMO. I use this with the delicate brush head and have gotten better results than with using the sensitive brush head.

Update: This stopped doing anything for my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2009 2:21:00 PM More reviews by bcolei

I have had this product for one week now and it has been a godsend. The past two years, I have had an eternal battle with my skin. It looked dull and gross and my pores were eternally clogged and congested with occasional breakouts. Acne products were too harsh, scrubs irritated my skin and caused more breakouts. Glycolic acids, retinol and other exfoliants didn't do anything. I went to a dermatologist and her recommendations didn't do anything. I had spent hundreds of dollars on products that didn't work, so I figured I might as well give this a shot.

On my chin, I had these gross pores that almost looked needle-like clogs and nothing I tried previously would get rid of it. After my first try with this brush, they were gone. I cannot believe how clear my skin has gotten in one week and I can't wait to see more improvements as I keep using it. My acne scars are diminished and my skin tone is evening out I am actually feeling confident going out without makeup. I use it morning and evening with the sensitive brush. I put a little hydrogen peroxide or alcohol on it after I use it to keep germs away. I was wary about the purchase, but this has been the best thing I have found in years. I will definitely buy again.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2009 6:24:00 PM More reviews by Moonpetals

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I followed the sales pitch and bought one. All it did was vibrate my skin. For 200.00 dollars. There are many cleansers that take all your make up off. I think what works with some people is that it vibrates your skin and activates it. Kind of like drinking coffee in the morning. I returned it and treated myself to two hundred dollars worth of all kinds of goodies at the beauty store.I should have known. If you think about it logically it's a waste of money although I was so excited to try it.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/20/2009 5:34:00 PM More reviews by blondiegoodlooks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am on the fence about the Clarisonic, and because I can't justify spending $150+ on a product that's only so-so (not including replacement heads), I'm returning mine.

I can't see anyone liking this thing too much unless they are new to good/proper exfoliation. I think a lot of people who claim this thing has transformed their skin were prob. not exfoliating before buying this product. I never really felt it did anything that I could achieve from a fine powder facial scrub like Bindi facial cleanser.

Just an FYI, much like a toothbrush, it would be unhealthy to leave your Clarisonic wet after use (meaning, you need to dry it off after you use it, otherwise bacteria will flourish). I decided to clean mine (and dry it) after each use, which was too much work just to exfoliate my face, IMHO.

Food for thought: I hope the manufacturer conducted histologic experiments to see if these sound waves penetrate the skin, otherwise we do not know if there are any potential negative long-term side effects to using this device.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2009 5:14:00 AM More reviews by Valdery16

my skin has never looked better or felt cleaner... just looking at pictures from the weekend and it's actually perfect! No acne, blackheads, blemishes, etc. I use it with Cetaphil and just threw out all my other cleansers. Follow with toner, proactiv repairing treatment, & proactiv moisturizer. My skin looks like porcelain. I've had it since Xmas, so not even 1 month and the difference is significant and so unexpected! I usually break out about a week before my period and I was bracing for it this month... but it never happened. Yessssss

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2009 1:02:00 AM More reviews by xomiyuxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

At first, i was a bit skeptical about buying this product. But one day, I finally caved in and bought a clarisonic at my local sephora. II am so glad that I did!! I love this thing. It is so ingenious. Let me begin telling you about my skin: its is so unperfect. I have super dry skin that is prone to flaking and eczema. I am also very acne-prone and have some visible pores around my nose and chin area. Since I have very difficult skin, i tend to wear full coverage makeup. I use liquid foundation, concealer, and powder, so at the end of the day I really have to clean my skin. I think that traditional methods of cleaning were not effective on my skin. Since i have dry skin, i also have alot of dead skin cells pilling on top on my skin. Even if i washed my face 3 times, i would still have left over makeup. I dreaded having to wash my skin at night since it was such a hassle.
But now with my clarisonic, it is so much easier!!! I use it with the sensitive head on low speed for 2 mins. I have used it only for less that 2 weeks, and i already see a dramatic difference. My skin is less red, i have less blackheads, less visible pores, and less acne. I still get acne, but not as bad. Although i did notice that when i started to use it, i got some tiny whiteheads, but it got much better after about the first week. And another thing, my acne scars seem to be fading slowly. I hate my acne scars since they make it look like i have acne all over my face even if i dont have any at the moment. I hope the clarisonic can help fade them significantly. I will update.

EDiT: I dont use this that often anymore. It is a great product but I think it was too harsh for daily use. I only use this about once a week now.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2009 10:37:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

I own the Clarisonic Pro w/4 speeds (or Plus as its called two). I absolutely love this product. I do own other microdermabasion brushes, but this one is probably the best of them all. As, this one allows for me to get

Sonic microdermabrasion along with getting regular glycolic peels has totally transformed both my skin and pores. I have greater clarity, increased smoothness, and my skin overall looks more balanced in tone, texture, and moisture levels today than I have seen in years.

I know that it is expensive, but it is a wise investment to make. As, it will give you the type of clarity, smoothness, oil balancing, exfoliation, and pore refinement that is normally relative to young children's skin. The product is easy to use, can be used twice a day (I mainly use it once a day though), brush heads aren't particularly hard to get off and they can be easily cleaned as well. It beeps to let you know to move on to a different area for cleansing and exfoliating, and it has a universal charger (so its good to go for travel outside of the U.S.). B

By using the Clarisonic regularly on my face it has allowed for my face to gain renewed vitality to it, that I thought that I had lost. I love this product and I am so glad that I decided to invest in it.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/15/2009 8:16:00 PM More reviews by jlclerf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

After using this for a little over a month and a half, I've decided that it was time to face the facts and admit that the Clarisonic isn't for me. I do like the idea of it, and I have to say that my skin felt smoother when I used it. However, my skin looked the same and at times even looked worse.

My skin is pretty normal - a bit on the dry side, not a lot of blemishes, some large pores and oiliness in the T zone, and the occasional hormonal or product-related break out. The Clarisonic didn't do a thing for my pores, didn't give my skin that "glow" everyone is raving about, and never did anything positive for my occasional break outs. I had a great deal of difficulty using this on my nose due to the shape and size of the brush (it's especially impossible to reach the corners of my nose), but found it easy to maneuver along the other parts of my face. My husband tried it as well, and we thought his skin looked about the same as it did before (though a bit worse with regard to break outs).

I tried to blame my skin care regimen, my lack of coordination, and my finicky skin, but in the end I had to admit that I spent almost $200 for a skin care gadget that didn't work. Prior to using the Clarisonic, I had used the dreaded St. Ives Medicated Apricot Scrub for my exfoliator, and I was so happy to stop using it after reading about how bad it was for my skin. Now I'm back to using it, and I have to say my skin looks better than when I was using the Clarisonic. I can't say that I'm worse off for trying the Clarisonic (and that's only because I was able to swap it away), but the lack of results really doomed this product, for me anyway. :(