September 19, 2014 | 934 users online

Cleansers - Ponds - Deep Cleanser Cold Cream

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2010 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Kabuk1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This used to be one of the only things that would save my skin during winter when I was younger. I'm kind of hesitant to use it now cause it is really greasy, and lately I've been breaking out if someone looks at my skin the wrong way. But, in my early 20's there was nothing quite so soothing to my dry skin as Pond's cold cream. I'd smear it on & wipe it off with a washcloth. Very simple skincare. This is actually very good for removing makeup, especially waterproof eye makeup, it just melts it right off.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/16/2010 10:07:00 AM More reviews by Kerousel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

There's a definite pattern to the reviews of this product. The high ratings talk about using tissue, cotton pads or a cloth to wipe the product from the face, while the low reviews tend to talk about trying to "rinse off" the product.

Personally, I use the "wipe off" method for my oily but under-hydrated skin. I apply a small scoop of the product, massage it all over the face until it changes its texture from a thick cream to a thin, more watery oil. I like to leave it on for a while, then I tissue off or remove with cotton pads. I steam my face with a hot, damp washcloth, and then wipe again with the washcloth. After this I apply an alcohol-free toner all over my face and neck, then a light moisturizer on my drier areas.

The result for me so far (I've been doing this about a month or so) is clearer, softer, glowy skin. I think with proper use, this can work for pretty much any skin type.

EDIT: Siiiiigh. Oh yes, it lead to clogged up pores. Nixing this from my regimen. Bye bye Ponds!

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2010 9:49:00 AM More reviews by DaisyRoquer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Okay, looking at all of the complaints which have been made about this product, it seems like the most common problem is application. Based on the range of friends and family who love it, I think this product can work for any kind of skin as long as it's used in the right way and you're not allergic to it.

For oily skin, the best think to do is scoop some out with a spoon and massage it into your face with CLEAN, DRY hands. Leave it whilst you brush your teeth, then rub it off in circular motions with a muslin cloth soaked in hot water. I then go over my face with a cotton pad soaked in cold water with 1 drop of tea tree oil, but even a splash of plain cold water will close your pores and remove residue. I used to have skin which was ok but prone to breakouts and lingering red marks, but since using this I've received loads of compliments on how great my complexion is. The muslin cloth takes care of blackheads and the cold cream removes dirt/make-up and moisturises without clogging pores.

For dry/normal skin, use a bit less cream (again, with the clean, dry hands and a minute to work) and then you should be able to wipe it off with warm water and any kind of washcloth, but I'd still recommend a muslin for anything other than really dry skin!

I do agree with everybody else that the packaging is a bit rubbish though, it's not enough to put me off the product but I have to hide my teaspoon in the bathroom cupboard every time I have visitors!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2010 3:19:00 AM More reviews by MrsLayneStaley

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Sensitive girls, beware. I used this for two days (the only new product in my regimen)...and was rewarded with a cystic break-out, the likes of which I have never experienced. I am on my second week of trying to clear it up. It smells like those cheap 'designer imposter' perfumes, and feels like you're smearing melted butter on your face. Not pleasant. I have since switched to Clinique Take the Day Off Balm (fragrance-free and nowhere near as greasy..worth the $) and am getting my skin sorted out. (My application method was to apply the cold cream in a thin layer on my face, then gently wipe away w/ a damp cloth. Followed up w/ my usual facial cleanser in the shower.) Packaging probably hasn't changed since its release, but the price is reasonable. Glad it works for so many;)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2010 5:45:00 AM More reviews by anniemouse

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

Yeah! Boots had run out of my Simple EMUR.
I don't know why I picked up the Ponds, I must've read something about it - with the recent "Recession-busting value products that your gran used to use" articles in the papers.
So pretty much every type of EMUR I've tried stings like buggery, not helped by the fact that I wear quite a lot of mascara! I've tried things like Lush UltraBland before, and it got so messy, I looked horrendous, with all this black smeared around my face!

So I tried the cold cream last night after coming in from the pub, fully expecting to rub this in and run yelping from my room to the bathroom to wash my eye out. But I rubbed a very small amount over my eyelids with my finger (not too messy) then used a bit more on a cotton wool pad to rub off the mascara, and could even rub the pad in the roots of my lashes on the underside, without it stinging; and it was pretty quick at getting it all off, too.
I then whacked a load over the rest of my face, rubbed it in, then used a hot flannel to remove. Wheeeeeee! Fantastic!
I guess it's similar to Eve Lom & muslin, but only 4 a pot.
I may just have found my ideal cleanser!
The only thing that grates is the smell of rose; it's a bit "old lady" for my liking, but I can live with it.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/7/2010 6:56:00 PM More reviews by isedhey

terrible product
after reading many reviews here, i thought i'd give it a try cuz my other cleanser kept breaking me out
so after i bought it and tried it out, i felt bad for wasting my money on this.
first of all, i hated the smell! it smelled like something my grandma would use. nd 2nd of all, after i clean the cream off my face, it left an oily residue on my skin, making it feel unclean!
i hate this product
oh nd da packaging is really bad. they have it in a tub so its very unsanitized :[

rated 2 of 5 on 2/7/2010 6:52:00 PM More reviews by Mochavida

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I would buy this product again but only as an eye makeup remover. This clogged pores on my face b/c of HORRIBLE oily film it leaves behind.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2010 3:20:00 PM More reviews by darling20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like the way this cleanser smells and it seems to do a decent job at removing makeup..but I feel like that's really all it's good at. Like many reviewers, I don't like the slick, greasy-feeling residue that is left on the skin afterward..and I just don't feel like this is really cleaning my skin. Prior to this I was using Cetaphil, and to be honest I like Cetaphil much more.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2010 3:27:00 PM More reviews by whitebook

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

A big YES!

EASY & EFFICIENT:
All you need is a little dip, then you will have "an excuse" to massage your face. (Face massage is a beauty secret in many country encouraging blood flows!) A good massage will help coldcream particles "bonding" & "pulling out" the MU particles. Next step: Tissue them off with folded toilet paper! Toilet paper with a little bit texture works best with PCC. I try to wipe with a clean side (by folding the toilet paper), so I can see what's coming off! I would follow by j&j head to toe baby wash (which is great for removing eye MU) and the apple cider vinegar toner when I am less lazy. No film left behind! If you don't feel clean enough, did another round, and check out what's left on the table!
CHEAP & LESS ABRASIVE:
I have tried Shu Uemura, Fancl cleansing oil, then some other OCMs (EVOO, jojoba, sweet almond oil.) They are time-consuming, and the commercial oil are about $30 USD per bottle! I bought this 9.5oz PCC 8 years ago. I used to spend like a snob in department stores, so I set this aside. But recently I am learning how to save, so I revisit this product. Surprisingly, it hydrates my skin and gives me no break-out. Finally, I look like a natural beauty!
Now I just cross my finger hoping they won't change the classic formula! Also, I think it should be in a tube instead of a jar. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 1/29/2010 4:58:00 PM More reviews by VenusLily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to like this product. I'll start out with the positives: It is affordable, smells great and feels nice when you initially put it on your skin.
That said, it doesn't do anything for my skin. It's terrible at removing my makeup, and when I rinse it off it leaves a disgusting oily film on my face. I have to use my regular Olay cleanser after I use this stuff, not only to remove my makeup but to get off that icky oil slick.
Also, I started breaking out.
I am glad some people think it is really great. It didn't do anything for me.
I'll probably give it to an aunt or cousin to try. Maybe they'll have better luck.