December 18, 2014 | 882 users online

Eyeliner - Maybelline - Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (All Shades)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2012 1:21:00 AM More reviews by antynette

This is a really good product, and I was very happy it came with a brush. It's very creamy and easy to put on my waterline, tight line and lash lines. The only con I have is that the waterline only lasts about 2 to 3 hours and it does smudge a bit after about 4 or 5. I will repurchase if I do not find one that is able to last longer. I have been seeing rave reviews about the wet n wild gel eyeliner and will compare.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2012 5:21:00 AM More reviews by bubblesk

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This was the first gel eyeliner I bought, and it's totally converted my into a gel girl. I love how the application is so smooth and easy to apply. You can create so many different looks with ease! Best thing about it though is that it doesn't smudge and lasts the whole day (as opposed to pencils & etc.).
Would definitely purchase it again, and maybe try out the brown version next time.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2012 5:06:00 PM More reviews by vodt512

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This gel eyeliner doesn't stay on as long as I hope it to be. Such a waste of money! So don't purchase it. I recently purchased L'Oreal HIP gel eyeliner and it works like a charm.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2012 3:26:00 AM More reviews by alexis007low

I knew this eyeliner works greatly on a friend of mine but it just doesn't do the same job on my oily eyelids. I mean what the hell!? It even starts to fade a bit after I have applied it on my eyelids. But that isn't the main reason why I dislike this eyeliner. The texture is beautifully made and you can decide whether you wanna wear it lightly and make it blur a bit or wear it heavier like what you see on those commercial girls with thick eyeliners. The price is however, quite affordable. It is about RM45 but I thought its a little pricey due to the quality it brings to me. It lasts me at least 6 hours outside and after a few hours I will see it faded some on the bottom waterline and below the bottom eyelash lines. Luckily, this bad side isn't noticeable. Furthermore, I really dislike the cap! It reminds me of Coke and I thought it is quite weird and less pretty to see in cosmetic (right?). I give the packaging quality 3 mainly because I love the eyeliner brush which comes with this eyeliner. It is nicely made and allows you to draw smooth and thin lines. It doesn't change even after thousand years of washing it and using it again ^,^.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2012 12:48:00 AM More reviews by Limwen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the best eyeliner I have ever used! The smooth, gel formula glides on and it is so easy to get a smooth line and accurate, sharp wings/corner flicks. It lasts well, too, requiring only a slight top up if I need it to look great into the evening. The little pot is nice and it's going to last ages as a little certainly goes a long way (highly pigmented). The only change I would make is to the brush - it needs some sort of protective cap. Otherwise, I love it!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2012 12:41:00 AM More reviews by w0wa

I have this in black and eggplant. I like it...but I don't LOVE it. I have very oily eyelids and nothing ever stays put, ever. This one doesn't smudge SO much compared to pencil eyeliners but I definitely need to touch up after a few hours of wear. In terms of texture, this eyeliner is smooth and glides on easily (I use an angled brush to apply this). I have no complaints about the black one; however I found that my eggplant colour dried up and got a little clumpy after a while?

I find this pretty similar to MAC Fluidline, but I prefer this one because it doesn't dry up as fast (the black one anyway). I would say the staying power is the same as MAC.

Would I repurchase? Maybe, if I can't find anything better. I'm not 100% happy with it but it's probably the best eyeliner I've tried so far (compared to MAC, Urban Decay 24/7, various drugstore, etc.)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2012 9:12:00 PM More reviews by irisng

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It was my first gel eyeliner. Maybelline gives a decent brush to work with but it's not sharp so it doesn't really give precision edges unless you work with it. It has decent pigmentation but at the end of the day it still rubs off. I wouldn't buy this for ten, rather go for a cheaper alternative with E.L.F. or Wet n' Wild.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2012 3:24:00 PM More reviews by Emma93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This was my first gel liner and I really liked it at first, because I didn't know better. Still I think it is the best gel liner in the drugstore that I know of, and if you can't /don't want to spend much money on makeup/ a gel liner than this might be the right thing for you. It does create a black line, the brush that comes with it is also ok. It is pretty easy to handle, but it is a pretty dry formula for a gel liner. Compared to the MAC Fluidline, it goes on a lot harder. In the beginning it wasn't even THAT dry, but it dried out fairly quick.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

* This is a review for Blackest Black only. If and when I try out the other shades, I will replace this review with a combined review. I have also posted up a review for this individual shade in another posting.

Update May 5 2012: Just letting you all know that 3 months in, same experiences as when I originally reviewed and from my last update. No changes in formula, still very much recommend this shade! Haven't tried out the other colours, but I plan on getting them hopefully sometime soon.

Update March 18, 2012: Just wanted to let everyone know that my experience with the liner is still positive a month and a half into its use. The formula has not shown the slightest signs of drying out, the colour still goes on richly, and I still get great wear. I did find that it's not as water-proof as I initially thought it to be: I can still clean it up with a wet tissue plus a good bit of wiping and I am able to remove about 95% of it with water and a microfibre cloth. I'd not recommend, say, swimming in this stuff but it doesn't seem like it would easily come off in normal-day water exposure such as some rain or a bit of crying. Still very happy with the liner overall!

What it Claims:
"Now gel reinvents liner:
Oil-free formula holds highly concentrated pigments in a clear gel base
Smudge-proof and water-proof for 24 hours
Most intense line for lasting drama
Safe for sensitive eyes and ophthalmologist-tested
Contact lens safe"

Claims - True or False?
1) Highly pigmented: True.
2) Smudge-proof and water-proof: True
3) Intense line: True
4) Safe for sensitive eyes: True

Packaging:
There may be different packaging for different countries/regions, so to clarify this packaging is for the North American version. The liner comes in a small pot with a twist-off lid. The container is a clear glass and the lid is a black plastic. It twists off and on easily. The label is situated on the lid with the info on the bottom of the jar. The product also comes with its own brush, which I'd describe as almost a small lip brush in its shape (at least half the size, if not more). Both of these come in a cardboard and plastic packaging which provides more detailed information on the product, although I do feel that this is a complete waste and its only benefit is to keep the liner and the brush together. The jar itself is double the size of what you are actually getting, so it can be deceiving to see such a large container and then find out that more than half of that container is just glass. Aside from that it works really well and I'm happy with the packaging.

Formula:
This is a very smooth and creamy gel liner which dries to a mostly matte finish without looking dry, clumpy, flaky, etc. I found that application with the provided brush is actually far less pigmented; when I initially swatched it on my hand with this brush, I was disappointed. But when I tried it with my own brushes I was left with a beautifully rich and true black, without looking too harsh. If experiencing issues with coverage, I recommend using your own brushes instead to see if you notice a difference. The given brush also caused a more patchy application. It's easily built up and layered to achieve a thicker line and is easy to glide onto the eye area. My biggest pet-peeve is that because of its water-proof/smudge-proof nature, if you make a mistake it's a pain to fix. The consistency being very smooth and fairly pigmented means that not much is needed to get the desired look. Drying time seems to be pretty quick; I have no problems with going about finishing my makeup without waiting, so I assume it sets within 30 seconds. I've been using the liner for a few weeks now and I've not had any formula changes. When I used my old Stila liner I found that it definitely dried out quickly. I recommend that the cap be replaced after you've taken product onto the brush, and if you need more just unscrew it and take more. This will help prevent it from drying out prematurely when it's not being used. I'd also recommend being more careful with how securely you fasten the lid.

Wear Time:
I'm very impressed with how this wears. My only previous experience with this type of liner was from Stila, which I disliked. I get absolutely no flaking or smudging with this liner, and it really does stay in place all day. I've worn it to the gym as well, and the only makeup that tends to smear a bit is my mascara. This liner can migrate a bit if it gets too close to the outer corner of the eye, but it's barely noticeable. It also removes easily enough with a good makeup remover, and definitely is water-proof.

Bang for your Buck:
I paid about $12.00CAD for this .106oz or 3g jar. It's definitely a pricier product for a drug-store brand, but little is needed for each use. Unless the product winds up drying out fairly quickly, I'd say that it's a pretty fair price.

Final Consensus:
I haven't used a gel liner in a number of years, but I knew that I wanted to try one out in favour of a black liquid liner as I'm often not a big fan of liquid liner finishes. I'm glad I picked this liner up, as it's definitely a great black liner and works well for creating a number of looks. Just use your own liner brushes before the one provided to make up your mind on its performance!
* Overall Rating: 5/5
* Price: 2/5
* Packaging Quality: 4/5
* Repurchase: Yes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2012 4:20:00 PM More reviews by DrMAC

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I can't believe this is a drugstore liner and it comes with a brush. It is sad when you spend so much on a dept store eyeliner, and it can't even live up to its claims. I have VERY oily lids, and when I use a eyeshadow primer (NARS) none of my BB, shu, urban decay, clinique, nars, lancome eyeliners stay put. I get smudging under my eyes like crazy all day every day by midmorning. This eyeliner has left me with NO undereye smudging and the brush is better than any cheap brush I've bought at the drugstore. I haven't tried it without primer just because it has been working so well with it. I would repurchase. Yes, it could be a darker black, but I'm sure they will come out with something like that at some point. Excellent job Maybelline!