September 22, 2014 | 1936 users online

Eyeliner - Maybelline - Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (All Shades)

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2012 3:24:00 PM More reviews by Emma93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This was my first gel liner and I really liked it at first, because I didn't know better. Still I think it is the best gel liner in the drugstore that I know of, and if you can't /don't want to spend much money on makeup/ a gel liner than this might be the right thing for you. It does create a black line, the brush that comes with it is also ok. It is pretty easy to handle, but it is a pretty dry formula for a gel liner. Compared to the MAC Fluidline, it goes on a lot harder. In the beginning it wasn't even THAT dry, but it dried out fairly quick.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

* This is a review for Blackest Black only. If and when I try out the other shades, I will replace this review with a combined review. I have also posted up a review for this individual shade in another posting.

Update May 5 2012: Just letting you all know that 3 months in, same experiences as when I originally reviewed and from my last update. No changes in formula, still very much recommend this shade! Haven't tried out the other colours, but I plan on getting them hopefully sometime soon.

Update March 18, 2012: Just wanted to let everyone know that my experience with the liner is still positive a month and a half into its use. The formula has not shown the slightest signs of drying out, the colour still goes on richly, and I still get great wear. I did find that it's not as water-proof as I initially thought it to be: I can still clean it up with a wet tissue plus a good bit of wiping and I am able to remove about 95% of it with water and a microfibre cloth. I'd not recommend, say, swimming in this stuff but it doesn't seem like it would easily come off in normal-day water exposure such as some rain or a bit of crying. Still very happy with the liner overall!

What it Claims:
"Now gel reinvents liner:
Oil-free formula holds highly concentrated pigments in a clear gel base
Smudge-proof and water-proof for 24 hours
Most intense line for lasting drama
Safe for sensitive eyes and ophthalmologist-tested
Contact lens safe"

Claims - True or False?
1) Highly pigmented: True.
2) Smudge-proof and water-proof: True
3) Intense line: True
4) Safe for sensitive eyes: True

Packaging:
There may be different packaging for different countries/regions, so to clarify this packaging is for the North American version. The liner comes in a small pot with a twist-off lid. The container is a clear glass and the lid is a black plastic. It twists off and on easily. The label is situated on the lid with the info on the bottom of the jar. The product also comes with its own brush, which I'd describe as almost a small lip brush in its shape (at least half the size, if not more). Both of these come in a cardboard and plastic packaging which provides more detailed information on the product, although I do feel that this is a complete waste and its only benefit is to keep the liner and the brush together. The jar itself is double the size of what you are actually getting, so it can be deceiving to see such a large container and then find out that more than half of that container is just glass. Aside from that it works really well and I'm happy with the packaging.

Formula:
This is a very smooth and creamy gel liner which dries to a mostly matte finish without looking dry, clumpy, flaky, etc. I found that application with the provided brush is actually far less pigmented; when I initially swatched it on my hand with this brush, I was disappointed. But when I tried it with my own brushes I was left with a beautifully rich and true black, without looking too harsh. If experiencing issues with coverage, I recommend using your own brushes instead to see if you notice a difference. The given brush also caused a more patchy application. It's easily built up and layered to achieve a thicker line and is easy to glide onto the eye area. My biggest pet-peeve is that because of its water-proof/smudge-proof nature, if you make a mistake it's a pain to fix. The consistency being very smooth and fairly pigmented means that not much is needed to get the desired look. Drying time seems to be pretty quick; I have no problems with going about finishing my makeup without waiting, so I assume it sets within 30 seconds. I've been using the liner for a few weeks now and I've not had any formula changes. When I used my old Stila liner I found that it definitely dried out quickly. I recommend that the cap be replaced after you've taken product onto the brush, and if you need more just unscrew it and take more. This will help prevent it from drying out prematurely when it's not being used. I'd also recommend being more careful with how securely you fasten the lid.

Wear Time:
I'm very impressed with how this wears. My only previous experience with this type of liner was from Stila, which I disliked. I get absolutely no flaking or smudging with this liner, and it really does stay in place all day. I've worn it to the gym as well, and the only makeup that tends to smear a bit is my mascara. This liner can migrate a bit if it gets too close to the outer corner of the eye, but it's barely noticeable. It also removes easily enough with a good makeup remover, and definitely is water-proof.

Bang for your Buck:
I paid about $12.00CAD for this .106oz or 3g jar. It's definitely a pricier product for a drug-store brand, but little is needed for each use. Unless the product winds up drying out fairly quickly, I'd say that it's a pretty fair price.

Final Consensus:
I haven't used a gel liner in a number of years, but I knew that I wanted to try one out in favour of a black liquid liner as I'm often not a big fan of liquid liner finishes. I'm glad I picked this liner up, as it's definitely a great black liner and works well for creating a number of looks. Just use your own liner brushes before the one provided to make up your mind on its performance!
* Overall Rating: 5/5
* Price: 2/5
* Packaging Quality: 4/5
* Repurchase: Yes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2012 4:20:00 PM More reviews by DrMAC

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I can't believe this is a drugstore liner and it comes with a brush. It is sad when you spend so much on a dept store eyeliner, and it can't even live up to its claims. I have VERY oily lids, and when I use a eyeshadow primer (NARS) none of my BB, shu, urban decay, clinique, nars, lancome eyeliners stay put. I get smudging under my eyes like crazy all day every day by midmorning. This eyeliner has left me with NO undereye smudging and the brush is better than any cheap brush I've bought at the drugstore. I haven't tried it without primer just because it has been working so well with it. I would repurchase. Yes, it could be a darker black, but I'm sure they will come out with something like that at some point. Excellent job Maybelline!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2012 6:15:00 AM More reviews by debbie211

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have been using this for about 6 months or so now (I was a gel liner novice previously) and I think it's been a great product. I'm sure there is better on the market, but they are probably much more expensive. It certainly could be a lot darker. I find it transfers quite easily to my upper lids too if it's not fully dry. The brush it comes with works really well but I actually found a better one in the depths of my make up bag so have been using that instead. Once I get a my techniques for winging etc down to a tee, I'll be upgrading to a better one.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/1/2012 2:53:00 AM More reviews by DiniBlini

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It's an overall decent product if you've never used a Gel Eyeliner. It's easy to use and it glides on well. The brush is pretty good too. However it isn't really black enough and it also does fade if you have oily lids - so use a primer!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2012 11:12:00 PM More reviews by aykhan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Speaking as someone who can't apply liquid eyeliner to save her life, these gel eyeliners (I have black and charcoal) are really easy to apply. They do require about a minute to dry, but once they do, they don't budge. I use these eyeliners regularly.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2012 11:07:00 PM More reviews by lechickpea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Fantastic liner, very creamy and goes on smoothly. I have this in Brown, Blackest Black, and Eggplant. The brush that comes with it is actually WONDERFUL, works beautifully to make a thin, precise line. Another thing: I've had these for quite a while now, and they haven't dried out at all. Only 4 lippies because:
a) blackest black shade isn't black enough (compared to the wet n' wild cream liner, or my revlon liquid liner), and the brown shade is like a medium brown, as opposed to a dark brown which is what you want in a liner. And
b) if I do a winged out liner that extends past my natural lash line, it smudges by the end of the night (I do not set with powder and have oily skin).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2012 10:44:00 PM More reviews by Darinka91

LOVE this product! I have used tons of eyeliners, from liquids to pencils, but I have never loved one so much. This gel is easy to use, quick, and looks great! Seriously, it takes seconds to draw a smooth, flawless line. It doesn't tug like pencil, nor run like liquid, just the perfect blend. I cannot say anything negative about this product. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and I still adore it. It can be used on top and waterline, in my experience it has looked amazing on both. If you're an eyeliner junkie like me, trust me it's a must have. I would be lost without it now.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2012 10:12:00 PM More reviews by awill

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used to use this liner every day, and loved it! The only problem I found was that it smudged if I used it on the lower lid or waterline. I always ended up just lining my upper lid with the gel liner, and then using a pencil liner on the waterline and lower lid. The color was great though (really dark black!), and it was pretty easy to use.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2012 5:04:00 PM More reviews by daylemclaren

I ususalyy suck at putting eyeliner on my top lid but ive found with this and the brush that im getting better. The brush is really good and easy to use and the colour and effect are really good. the wear time is also good as well as the price. Definitely better than liquid eyeliners. Would recomend and repurchase