April 16, 2014 | 1012 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Pro Skincare Brush

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2009 6:04:00 PM More reviews by savanna427

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Let me just say, at first this thing was my PRIDE AND JOY. It left my skin feeling clean and baby butt soft...I used the 2-minute with beeps and the sensitive brush head.

But....this in conjunction with my Paula's Choice BHA Liquid left my skin looking abused. I have little red marks around nearly every pore and I'm blaming it on using these two things too often. I will not be using this on my face anymore, and I'll miss the smooth feeling, but I'm switching from physical to chemical exfoliation. My skin just can't handle it and I thought it could.

BUT, I will definitely be using this on my body. I have KP on the back of my legs and this thing is so powerful that I now only feel right using it on my limbs. But I still love it for that reason!
So, if it doesn't make your face look rough, then good for you. Mine just couldn't handle it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2009 2:42:00 PM More reviews by NancyM

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I'm about 85-90% sure that this gave me rosacea. End of Story.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2009 5:55:00 PM More reviews by Thumbelina1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

So, Fall term I was having a rough time and wanted to splurge on myself and got this (in pink). I've been using it since then, twice a day (normal power, 2 mins), and really love it. You get to stand there moving your arm in vague circles while the brush does all the work. I've had the sensitive head it came with and am going to switch to the normal one (I feel like it could do more. I have combo skin). It removes all of the makeup, all of it. I can tell b/c in the morning when I use it again there is no color on the brush (which would indicate residual makeup). If you have the money I suggest the splurge; it will last you forever and you can just keep buying new brush heads. My skin has really cleared up and any new (RARE) pimples quickly go away. IMPORTANT: 1, wait until whiteheads heal to start using this (you don't want them to burst and contaminate the brush and your face), 2, use a non-abrasive cleanser (like Philosophy purity, Cetaphil, Purpose, whatever). Clean the brush by detaching the head and washing the head w/antibacterial soap once a week or so. If it turns your skin pink, the brush head is too harsh and go for a gentler one. Really great investment b/c you can simplify your skin care (read: fewer products, helps them sink in better and don't need an expensive cleanser for it at all) and it helps your skin in multiple ways.
UPDATE: Still loving this product; it for sure prevents most breakouts (as I'll get them if I stop using this, everything else the same). It was worth every overpriced penny! Lol. Also, an easier way to sanitize: fill a small spray bottle w/rubbing alcohol and spritz the brush head each night. Makes the brush head last longer!

EDIT: You know, I have to say, I sold this last spring and have been using a washcloth instead and it really works just as well for me. Plus, the washcloth is easy to throw in the wash and I use a new one every day. The brush would just get contaminated somehow even with frequent washing and alcohol soaks and it was expensive. I just went to the store and bought a couple of packs of baby washcloths and it has been great! Still a good quality product if you want it, but not in my opinion necessary.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2009 7:43:00 AM More reviews by Ruthone

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a great tool. I got this for my birthday this year and waited impatiently for 24 hours to pass to use it. I seriously could feel a difference my first use, and my hubby mentioned how clean and white my skin looked when I walked out the bathroom. My face normally is red for at least an hour after I wash it because it's very sensitive and turns red easily. So for him to mention a difference it had to be extreme. Word of warning though when you use it, it's not going to be the brush feeling you're expecting. It feels like vibrations all over your face, don't press hard just hold it flush and make tiny circles all over the area you're cleaning. My cleanser(HG) doesn't foam well with the Clarisonic but I love my cleanser and it stays foam or no foam, but I can tell my face is so much cleaner its incredible. I've already noticed a difference in the blackheads on my nose. The Clarisonic is way expensive but I feel it's a good investment for your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2009 4:29:00 PM More reviews by amyfairy

I have to add to the chorus of pleased customers for this little device. Yes, it's expensive. But it should last you a long time and, in my case, the results are worth it.

My facialist recommended that I add this to my routine. I had terrible acne, so bad that I was actually in my 30 day waiting period to begin accutane, but this facialist I found worked a miracle and cleared me up. My third time in, she recommended I get this brush to help prevent blackheads. I was staying clear but I would have to endure long sessions of extractions when I came in.

I finally picked this up for Christmas and it is just fabulous for gentle exfoliation. If at first it seems to drying and harsh, I would recommend experimenting with how often you use it and what cleanser you use it with. I found it was too harsh if I used it twice a day and with my acne cleanser. Now I wash my face normally in the morning with a glycolic acid cleanser and use the brush in the evenings with a mild cleanser like cetaphil to really get the makeup off. That has done the trick. My skin feels really smooth and it has helped even out my skin tone significantly (I had a lot of red scars from acne).

Oh, and DON'T PRESS TOO HARD! Soft circles lightly across each area of your face are all you need.

I love my toothbrush for my face. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2009 12:16:00 AM More reviews by pink_rosies

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

Loveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have really oily skin with annoying blackheads and I also have acne that usually comes in 'clusters' with a few stragglers here and there. There is a small cluster right under my left eye at the edge of my cheek bone that for years I have not been able to make go away. Every couple weeks I could weed something out of that pore but no matter what it was always inflamed. Well I bought the Clarisonic a few days ago and already there is only one pore left that you can see is still inflamed, but it is 2 sizes smaller than what it was. All the other ones around it are gone. I have had a cluster of zits on my forehead (sorry I know this is gross) that have been pretty big, and have just been sitting there (ya know the kind that are big, but have no whitehead, no nothing, they just sit there) yeah those. Well I have had them for three weeks, I got a haircut recently and my bangs sit there, well they are now practically gone! It's like they are slowly just being smoothed away. All the 'lone island' blemishes I did have immediately have turned into whitehead like bumps. They aren't pink even, it's like the pores are just saying "Yay! We finally have the ability to get this junk out!". And for the rest of the acne story I have just had a lot of black heads, which are disappearing very fast. Recently I would just rinse my face off and could feel them, all dry and flaky, and just in the past 48 hours my skin feels 5x smoother. IMO this is the best thing that has ever happened to my skin! I really look forward to my shower more than ever now, it's like I get my own spa-facial session every night. It's great! And I deserve it. And so do YOU! And my skin is always glowing when I get out of the shower.

I would pay the money for this again & again. Yeah $195 isn't something you can normally just pull out of your wallet. But I look at it this way... think about all the products you spend in just a few months or even if it's over the course of the year - ask yourself "are they that effective?" and then even if they are - how quickly do you find yourself going back to get more - to fork out that same dough in only a few months?!? You don't care how much it costs right? You know it works so you gotta have it - and you WILL pay over and over b/c you love it that much. Well that what Clarisonic is like for me. If this was $500 I would've still paid for it, and I bet I'm not the only one who would either after reading these reviews. :) As for what a miracle this thing has been for me so far, IMO I think you can't put a price tag on something like this. Set aside $50/week for a month and this sucker is sold! Or ask for it as a gift. But you have nothing to lose with trying this, as you get your money back if you don't like. I have the pink one and I got it at Sephora. It caught my eye and I immediately asked the SA about it, turns out she used it, and her skin was very nice, she doesn't even wear foundation (yep I checked), and then I come to find that my friend I came to Sephora with had it as well! I couldn't believe she didn't tell me she had it! I have seen some people comment that those with cystic acne may not benefit from this well let me tell you -- my friend (yes the one who didn't tell me she bought this) has cystic acne on her chin and her skin is always smashing. I didn't even know she had cystic acne until she told me that day. She only uses it once a day too - on the minute setting. And don't push too hard! Just let it touch your skin and go from there :)

I will come back & write an update and I am certain I won't be disappointed. I've never been so excited about something this wonderful! Each day my skin becomes even better than the day before!!! There is a reason this was voted "Best of Sephora 2008".

***Update 3/2/09****
My skin just keeps getting better! This past week I was on my period and I didn't have any breakouts - for the first time in my whole life I honestly didn't have any nasty zits. Just the occasional blackheads like normal, but there wasn't an increase in them either even for that time of the month. My blackheads are practically gone on my lower cheeks/jaw line. I will never stop using this amazing brush. Thank you clarisonic!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2009 11:12:00 PM More reviews by ThinkPink2683

I would definitely buy this again if I ever had to. I have the Clarisonic Pro. It has 4 speed settings (Pro, High, Normal, and Low), and 3 T-timer settings (2 minutes with beeps, 2 minutes without beeps, and 1 minute with beeps). Don't throw away the instruction book unless you can memorize all the options! I just set it for 2 minutes with beeps, and use Normal speed. Low feels like it's not really doing anything, High is almost too strong for my skin, and Pro is like sanding a layer off! I guess it's a personal choice though, because older skin might like the Low setting, and really tough skin might need High.

My skin actually shines like it was polished afterward, and it takes about 1/2 as much of Philosophy's Hope in a Jar to moisturize my skin. My blackheads are gone, and the only breakout I've had is one pimple on my face where I rest my cheek on my hand at the table or a desk. I'm being more consious of doing that, and this brush is helping to fade the scars from deep horrors I've had before. I also sometimes get little bumps from clogged pores everywhere, but those are completely erased by the Clarisonic! I've had constant blackheads on my chin and nose for 12 years, but they have either completely gone away, or have shrunk to almost nothing now.

My mineral makeup looks less powdery on my skin now, and I used to get painful pimples in random places all over my face. Any blemish I had before the Clarisonic has completely cleared, and I have had one in the last month of using it, compared to the 4 or 5 per month that I had before.

I bought the grey one, because I wanted to share it with my 15 year old brother. He said that even if I had gotten the pink one, he would still use it, AND tell everyone, because it is so amazing. His skin is the worst in my family. Whiteheads and blackheads cover his poor face. He's tried cleansers, moisturizers, and salycilic acid and benzoyl peroxide. They all changed his skin in some way, but it was always a disaster. Now since using this, and the little cleansers that came with it, his skin has improved by 50% in a month. It's better than it has been in about 3 years. I will try to keep buying the Blue cleanser when we run out (I forget the name)!

He uses it twice a day with the normal brush, and I use it either once or twice with the sensitive brush. I will be purchasing another one when my final college semester is over and I leave home. I can't deprive him of what he calls "The Face Eraser".

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2009 10:46:00 PM More reviews by caligirl3

I bought this product hoping that it would clear up my face for good. I have a little less than moderate acne and am very acne prone with combo skin and I do get blackheads on my nose and chin. I started out using this twice a day and have been doing that since i got it. I did not get the results I was expecting at all (comepletely clear skin); however, I no longer have any blackheads at all and my pores have definitely shrunk. I still have acne and scars but I do believe that it is slowly, but surely starting to go away. In places where my skin is clear (My forehead, nose, parts of my cheeks, and chin) I notice a definite glow and my skin just looks flawless in some areas. I do believe that it is worth the money and I am hoping that if I continue using this (I use it with Erno Laszlo's sea mud soap) than my skin will clear up. I will try to update again and tell you guys what shape I am in, in a couple of months! I would recommend this product though!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2009 2:41:00 AM More reviews by dellabella

Awesome! My acne prone skin is clearer and my pores are smaller! Just what I wanted.. I use Neutrogena Grapefruit cleanser with it..

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2009 1:42:00 AM More reviews by malini2b

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'd hoped for HG-ness from Clarisonic, but that hasn't happened. It's okay -- but not worth the price, IMO.

I've had it for about three months now. I got it from haircuttersstore.com for $160 (thanks, MUA reviewers who posted that tip!) plus free shipping. The lowdown on my skin: combo, blemish- and acne-scar-prone, with oily T-zone and occasional small dry patches from the benzyl peroxide I use at night. I've gotten it very much under control in the last few years thanks to Paula Begoun's products, but it's still a struggle, esp. to achieve the smooth post-facial good-in-any-light look I'm always craving.

I used the Clarisonic every day at first -- at night with my Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Cleanser and in the AM with Cetaphil. I was impressed initially at how it smoothed out my skin and in particular how it cleared up the "congestion" at the corners of my nose, dry patches on my chin, etc. However -- I noticed that my face oiled up more than usual, and as a result I had some breakouts. Minor, but breakouts nonetheless. I cut down my use quite a bit and it's now maybe a couple times a week. It has been so dry this winter in NYC that I may step up the frequency; we'll see.

I simply don't think the results are worth the price. I'm debating whether to get a replacement head or not. Maybe if I can find a good deal.

For me, what works much better is the MD Skincare Alpha/Beta Peel followed by Paula's Choice 1% Beta Hydroxy Lotion. It gives a post-facial glow and incredibly smooth surface -- my makeup glides on and my skin looks great even in bright daylight, which used to be something of a problem! The Alpha/Beta peels are pricey, definitely, but IMO the results are much better and more worth it.

Hope this helps!